Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Defending a river line

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> RE: Defending a river line Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Defending a river line - 10/16/2007 11:47:07 PM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Time for a summary:

1. This is about a very minor tactical issue that doesn’t have any great significance to the game. It’s only a 30% combat modifier. If you rank all the terrain combat modifiers from top to bottom, this one would rank DEAD LAST. And that’s just a mathematical fact. And it isn’t as if it isn’t being applied. It is. The issue is just over exactly where it’s applied. It’s about as minor an issue as you can get.

Incorrect. It is a 30% combat modifier that applies to an absolutely crucial and indispensable facet of warfare, river crossings. In addition, the bridge hexes are vulnerable and unhistorical and the rules when you are on rivers (IMHO) illogical and inconsistent.

You saying it is a minor issue doesn't make it so, especially given you used a "much higher benefit" item to unhistorically beach a battleship in an operational level game set just above the range of the longest ranged direct fire weapon.

With the greatest of respect, and in light of the above, you're not in a position to give lessons in what is and what isn't a minor issue to anyone to be fair. Make it personal in this way and you force me to.

This is an operational level game originally played without equipment at all, really, so lets not act like its combat mission. It's operational meaning those items of warfare that are operational in nature are crucial to the way the game functions. Towns, forests, rivers. It's all the same.

quote:

2. Any fix to one part of the river model breaks another part. Rivers have both boundary and area properties.

As does every other type of terrain hex, but none simulate your intermingling in this way.

quote:

Switch to hexside from hex and the area factors (like transverse defensive benefits) are unmodeled.

Another red herring. How does anyone attack across a river hex side without the people on the other bank getting a defensive benefit? This transverse thing is a nice word without any real meaning particularly once we have dispensed with the unneccessary area apology theory.

quote:

In other words, for every plus of hexside rivers, there is a corresponding minus. Even if this change could somehow magically be applied to every existing scenario, the net benefit would be about zilch.

The net benefit would be a realistic modelling of a crucial and much found and used terrain feature absolutely central to modern land warfare. A not inconsiderable feature given TOAW is a programme almost exclusively dedicated to land warfare with everything else more abstractly modelled. This is either an operational game or it isn't. We won't simulate warfare if rivers are somewhat easier or more difficult to cross than they were in real life, period.

quote:

3. But here’s the killer: It won’t be applied to ANY existing scenario! No scenario has hexside rivers. And there will be few designers who will go to all the effort to rip out the river hexes and replace them with hexside rivers in their maps, even among the few who still support their scenarios. The actual net benefit will be something like zilch times zilch! (Zilch-squared!!!)

Except in future scenarios where the improvements could be added (or has all scenario design work now stopped) and since it is not uncommon for others to take on existing scenarios with the relevant permissions, there would be an ongoing benefit.

quote:

Add it all up and the idea of implementing this change becomes monstrously ludicrous. The whole subject wasn’t worth two sentences. Yet it already has had page after page of repetitive, long-winded, incoherent, incomprehensible blather devoted to it. Enough!

Something you are as equally responsible for as any other single individual here. It is rather petty to insinuate otherwise in an attempt to close the debate down. You must understand that the fact you consider this small beer, does not automatically make it so.

We simulate urban terrain, forest and trees, swamp, bocage and mountains amongst others. We attempt to simulate them all correctly. There is no harm in consistency.

IronDuke

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 211
RE: Defending a river line - 10/17/2007 12:30:46 AM   
IronDuke_slith

Double post - deleted

< Message edited by IronDuke -- 10/17/2007 12:51:01 AM >

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 212
RE: Defending a river line - 10/17/2007 12:41:03 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronDuke

Of the ones above, I can see a possible need for "C" but adding in the British equivalent of the Maus or something strikes me as a minor improvement. Which historical scenarios benefitted from "B", for example?

Well for example, my version of Europe Aflame provides equipment for the French after 1940 which was actually planned to go into production 1941-2.

My Poland scenario would play very differently without e).

I don't disupte anything you're saying, I am just saying that being questioned on the grounds of whether something is worth it when the opposition are deploying as argument all sorts of sometimes very minor equipment additions in the midst of a game set squarely in the operational domain is as irritating to me as I clearly am being to you (and if not you certainly others).

In other words, the guts of this game are whether it does the Western and Eastern fronts & maybe the Med in an operational context. Everything else is nice, I concede, but you need the basics first. Basics include simulating terrain correctly. Fire in the East is a good example. Very popular scenario and the way most people (I guess) play it puts a huge premium on the river rules since Soviet players early war and German players late war will all trade a little space to anchor along some water.

Fundamentally altering the river rules (I would argue correcting) is not minor in terms of the way this scenario or DNO or Gotteramadung or Hells highway would be played. Throw in the Bulge and you have pretty much wrapped up all the big stuff that most people play most often.

I work as a Business Analyst, I am far from blind about issues of cost-benefits, but we only got WWII equipment in the first place because of the storm over the Jeep Army Vs King Tiger platoon debate and as I keep repeating, this is an operational level game, a level at which equipment is not as important as simulating the operational level decisions Commanders face correctly. The current rules don't allow that with rivers IMHO.

Put another way, if there were no defensive benefits to units in urban terrain, we would be fixing it.

I guess we're running out of patience for this debate so I apologise if I gave any offence, but having intervened for the first time in issues like this, I guess I'll return to the back benches. I have firm (if generally quiet) ideas about where this should all go given Combined Arms will (I believe) take the minor operational/major tactical end within 12 months with WEGO and river hex sides and the WIR crowd will get the entire eastern front at 10Km per hex within 2 years with a host of new features. TOAW needs (IMHO) to zero in on what is required to improve the operational aspects since its flexibility at the operational level is its real advantage and where it would continue to carve out its niche.

In other words, focus in on what your real objective is. It isn't to get all sub variants of the Fiesler Storch into the game, together with a couple of proposed ones where they were going to add 37 mm cannon in 1948, but to make TOAW popular and playable for the market ten years from now. The requirements for that are not marginal but fun toys for designers, or people defending toys for scenario designers, but accurate, vibrant operational rules.

TOAW is an operational game in which equipment is (I would contend) a very minor and secondary consideration. I guess I ultimately just got galled at seeing operational considerations compared unfavourably with beached battleships and armoured barges in a game that is not about T34s and Panthers, much less boats. If that spilled over into unwarranted words, then I apologise (even if no one else does). However, those that control and those that design seem to disagree with me so I'm only making enemies sticking around. Be careful not to win yourselves to death, though, with your equipment editor .

All the very best,
IronDuke

< Message edited by IronDuke -- 10/17/2007 12:50:03 AM >

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 213
RE: Defending a river line - 10/17/2007 2:17:37 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

Of the ones above, I can see a possible need for "C" but adding in the British equivalent of the Maus or something strikes me as a minor improvement. Which historical scenarios benefitted from "B", for example?

Well for example, my version of Europe Aflame provides equipment for the French after 1940 which was actually planned to go into production 1941-2.

I don't disupte anything you're saying, I am just saying that being questioned on the grounds of whether something is worth it when the opposition are deploying as argument all sorts of sometimes very minor equipment additions in the midst of a game set squarely in the operational domain is as irritating to me as I clearly am being to you (and if not you certainly others).

In other words, the guts of this game are whether it does the Western and Eastern fronts & maybe the Med in an operational context. Everything else is nice, I concede, but you need the basics first. Basics include simulating terrain correctly. Fire in the East is a good example. Very popular scenario and the way most people (I guess) play it puts a huge premium on the river rules since Soviet players early war and German players late war will all trade a little space to anchor along some water.

Fundamentally altering the river rules (I would argue correcting) is not minor in terms of the way this scenario or DNO or Gotteramadung or Hells highway would be played. Throw in the Bulge and you have pretty much wrapped up all the big stuff that most people play most often.

I work as a Business Analyst, I am far from blind about issues of cost-benefits, but we only got WWII equipment in the first place because of the storm over the Jeep Army Vs King Tiger platoon debate and as I keep repeating, this is an operational level game, a level at which equipment is not as important as simulating the operational level decisions Commanders face correctly. The current rules don't allow that with rivers IMHO.

Put another way, if there were no defensive benefits to units in urban terrain, we would be fixing it.

I guess we're running out of patience for this debate so I apologise if I gave any offence, but having intervened for the first time in issues like this, I guess I'll return to the back benches. I have firm (if generally quiet) ideas about where this should all go given Combined Arms will (I believe) take the minor operational/major tactical end within 12 months with WEGO and river hex sides and the WIR crowd will get the entire eastern front at 10Km per hex within 2 years with a host of new features. TOAW needs (IMHO) to zero in on what is required to improve the operational aspects since its flexibility at the operational level is its real advantage and where it would continue to carve out its niche.

In other words, focus in on what your real objective is. It isn't to get all sub variants of the Fiesler Storch into the game, together with a couple of proposed ones where they were going to add 37 mm cannon in 1948, but to make TOAW popular and playable for the market ten years from now. The requirements for that are not marginal but fun toys for designers, or people defending toys for scenario designers, but accurate, vibrant operational rules.

TOAW is an operational game in which equipment is (I would contend) a very minor and secondary consideration. I guess I ultimately just got galled at seeing operational considerations compared unfavourably with beached battleships and armoured barges in a game that is not about T34s and Panthers, much less boats. If that spilled over into unwarranted words, then I apologise (even if no one else does). However, those that control and those that design seem to disagree with me so I'm only making enemies sticking around. Be careful not to win yourselves to death, though, with your equipment editor .

All the very best,
IronDuke

You either fail to grasp or choose not to admit just how much it is possible to accomplish by editing equipment.

Put it this way. I have used my moving van to park in downtown loading zones and go to a movie. Instant free parking! Is that all my moving van is good for? No.

Your argument -- such as it is -- amounts to showing that free parking isn't all that great a benefit and so my moving van's not much of an asset. Inasmuch as I also happen to make my living with it, I'm not exactly impressed by your argument.

So what if a Fieseler Storch would be a trivial addition? That's hardly the limit of what it is possible to do with the equipment editor. Nor is the fact that we already have the equipment editor somehow an argument for going over to hexside rivers. That part of your argument sounds as if having established that I have a moving van, you feel you've come up with a compelling argument that I should start speculating on commodities futures. Never mind that I would have to learn a lot and that I happen to think it would be a poor idea -- I have to do it. I've already got a moving van, so I have to buy commodities futures. That would appear to be your reasoning.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/17/2007 9:57:16 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 214
RE: Defending a river line - 10/17/2007 12:26:39 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

In other words, the guts of this game are whether it does the Western and Eastern fronts & maybe the Med in an operational context.

OK. If you don't have an equipment editor, how do you stop Western units getting flooded with Russian squads? How do you simulate the British manpower shortage which was critical in 1944, whilst leaving the Americans flush with troops?

You can only fudge it by using different squad types. But Russians weren't really "light rifle squads"- not for the whole damned war. Nor where American squads all bristling with firepower as will be the case if you give them heavy rifle squads.

This is just the biggest example of the problem. There are nuances within nuances.

quote:

Everything else is nice, I concede, but you need the basics first. Basics include simulating terrain correctly. Fire in the East is a good example. Very popular scenario and the way most people (I guess) play it puts a huge premium on the river rules since Soviet players early war and German players late war will all trade a little space to anchor along some water.

Right. Doesn't this demonstrate that rivers already function very effectively as military obstacles under the current system?

quote:

TOAW is an operational game in which equipment is (I would contend) a very minor and secondary consideration.

You're probably right here. A lot of players obsess about their special units almost as much as Hitler did. However adding minor new types of equipment I would consider to be one of the subsidiary benefits of the equipment editor.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 215
RE: Defending a river line - 10/17/2007 6:01:46 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM
Rivers along hexsides allow units to assume two basic states. The first is that of a solid, and coherent defense, which is always in effect, when neither force is actively attacking across the river. The second is that of an attacking force, which is only in effect for a very brief, and discrete amount of time. This is the point in time when a game will usually penalize the actively attacking force.

The reason that TOAW will continue to model rivers in hexes, instead of as hexsides, is that this allows an additional state, or operational condition, that units may assume beyond that of what is allowed by hexside rivers. That of a shallow bridgehead. The cost, or trade-off, here is a simple spatial distortion that, absent battle, is no better or worse than that caused by forcing rivers to run along hexsides.

A shallow bridgehead does not allow for units to maneuver well and, given the general nature of river valleys, will also represent, due to elevation, a tactical advantage to those opposing forces not on a river hex. Thus the 70% reduction in firepower that affects the attacking units. Now, to be consistent, I believe that this penalty should apply to all forces on river hexes, regardless of whether they are attacking, or defending. I will try to get Ralph to code that effect for the next patch. This will also clear up inconsistencies when attacking and defending units are both on river hexes. Both sides will be equally constrained and affected.

Why does such an additional state need to be present in TOAW? This is because attackers crossing a river, attacking from a river, defending a narrow bridgehead, should be in a more vulnerable state (at least potentially) at some point in time during the turn. If the "turn" ends, (local/global initiative shifts) before a bridgehead is established deeply enough to be safe from local counterattacks, then the game needs to have the forces that are, in essence, straddling the river, or packed into a confined area, be vulnerable to enemy action - while it is still in this disorganized or operationally weakened state. Thus, if a player can replicate a quick, decisive and effective breakthrough at the point of crossing, a la Sedan, then by the time the enemy can react, the bridgehead is already established some non-zero number of hexes deep, and away from the river. The bridgehead has been successfully forced, and is more relatively safe from any counterattacks that might follow. If the player fumbles, bumbles and stumbles in the face of the enemy resistance, a la Fredricksburg, then the bridgehead is too narrow for the forces across to take advantage of maneuver, they are working up river banks, the bridging or ferry assets are under fire, and the units are in a vulnerable state, such that continued actions against it and the forces within it have a relative advantage.

Now that we seem to have averted what would undoubtedly have been the “Great Hexside River Fiasco of 2007” we can now turn our attention to the far more sensible task of improving river hexes.

I think James is on to some part of the issue above, but it’s more complicated than that. Yes, an initial bridgehead over a river can be a vulnerable target, deserving of a defensive penalty. But, as I’ve pointed out elsewhere, inside the river hex the river snakes around, and where the units in that hex are deployed relative to that river is unknown. They may be mostly across the river, as above, in which case they’re vulnerable and deserve a defensive penalty. They may be partly across and partly behind, in which case the benefits and penalties more or less cancel, resulting in a wash (that’s how it works now). Or they may be mostly or entirely behind the river, in which case they should be getting a defensive benefit. But how can we tell?

I now think it’s possible to do so, via the context of how the hex was captured:

Case 1: The river hex began the last friendly player turn friendly controlled. This is the pure defensive context. The units should be assumed to be employing as much defensive use of the river as possible. As such, any friendly units in the hex will enjoy the defensive river benefit (if attacked, those attackers suffer the 0.7 modifier). If the units attack out of the hex, they also suffer the 0.7 attack modifier (this case is like what I suggested much further back).

Case 2: The river hex began the last friendly player turn enemy controlled, and was captured by any of the following:
1. Movement.
2. Overrun.
3. An assault against enemy units in the river hex NOT enjoying the defensive river benefit (in other words, a counterattack against enemy units that captured the hex in the last enemy player turn.)
This is the mixed context. The units in the hex should be assumed to be partly exposed and partly protected. There is no defensive penalty or benefit. If the units attack out of the hex, they suffer the 0.7 attack modifier (this case is like the way it works now).

Case 3: The river hex began the last friendly player turn enemy controlled, and was captured by an assault against enemy units in the river hex that WERE enjoying the defensive river benefit (as in case 1 above). This is the major assault context. The units in the hex should be assumed to be fully exposed. They suffer the defensive penalty if attacked in the next enemy player turn (this case is like in James’ post above). BUT, if the units continue their attack out of the hex that same player-turn against any hex that doesn't qualify for Case 1, they do NOT suffer the 0.7 attack modifier (they’re already across – we don’t want the penalty to be paid twice).

It’s complicated, but it’s code only – no graphics – and it will affect all existing scenarios. Note that Case 1 simplifies defensive tactics and allows bridges to be defended – just deploy on the river hex.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 216
RE: Defending a river line - 10/17/2007 7:20:22 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM
Rivers along hexsides allow units to assume two basic states. The first is that of a solid, and coherent defense, which is always in effect, when neither force is actively attacking across the river. The second is that of an attacking force, which is only in effect for a very brief, and discrete amount of time. This is the point in time when a game will usually penalize the actively attacking force.

The reason that TOAW will continue to model rivers in hexes, instead of as hexsides, is that this allows an additional state, or operational condition, that units may assume beyond that of what is allowed by hexside rivers. That of a shallow bridgehead. The cost, or trade-off, here is a simple spatial distortion that, absent battle, is no better or worse than that caused by forcing rivers to run along hexsides.

A shallow bridgehead does not allow for units to maneuver well and, given the general nature of river valleys, will also represent, due to elevation, a tactical advantage to those opposing forces not on a river hex. Thus the 70% reduction in firepower that affects the attacking units. Now, to be consistent, I believe that this penalty should apply to all forces on river hexes, regardless of whether they are attacking, or defending. I will try to get Ralph to code that effect for the next patch. This will also clear up inconsistencies when attacking and defending units are both on river hexes. Both sides will be equally constrained and affected.

Why does such an additional state need to be present in TOAW? This is because attackers crossing a river, attacking from a river, defending a narrow bridgehead, should be in a more vulnerable state (at least potentially) at some point in time during the turn. If the "turn" ends, (local/global initiative shifts) before a bridgehead is established deeply enough to be safe from local counterattacks, then the game needs to have the forces that are, in essence, straddling the river, or packed into a confined area, be vulnerable to enemy action - while it is still in this disorganized or operationally weakened state. Thus, if a player can replicate a quick, decisive and effective breakthrough at the point of crossing, a la Sedan, then by the time the enemy can react, the bridgehead is already established some non-zero number of hexes deep, and away from the river. The bridgehead has been successfully forced, and is more relatively safe from any counterattacks that might follow. If the player fumbles, bumbles and stumbles in the face of the enemy resistance, a la Fredricksburg, then the bridgehead is too narrow for the forces across to take advantage of maneuver, they are working up river banks, the bridging or ferry assets are under fire, and the units are in a vulnerable state, such that continued actions against it and the forces within it have a relative advantage.

Now that we seem to have averted what would undoubtedly have been the “Great Hexside River Fiasco of 2007” we can now turn our attention to the far more sensible task of improving river hexes.

I think James is on to some part of the issue above, but it’s more complicated than that. Yes, an initial bridgehead over a river can be a vulnerable target, deserving of a defensive penalty. But, as I’ve pointed out elsewhere, inside the river hex the river snakes around, and where the units in that hex are deployed relative to that river is unknown. They may be mostly across the river, as above, in which case they’re vulnerable and deserve a defensive penalty. They may be partly across and partly behind, in which case the benefits and penalties more or less cancel, resulting in a wash (that’s how it works now). Or they may be mostly or entirely behind the river, in which case they should be getting a defensive benefit. But how can we tell?

I now think it’s possible to do so, via the context of how the hex was captured:

Case 1: The river hex began the last friendly player turn friendly controlled. This is the pure defensive context. The units should be assumed to be employing as much defensive use of the river as possible. As such, any friendly units in the hex will enjoy the defensive river benefit (if attacked, those attackers suffer the 0.7 modifier). If the units attack out of the hex, they also suffer the 0.7 attack modifier (this case is like what I suggested much further back).

Case 2: The river hex began the last friendly player turn enemy controlled, and was captured by any of the following:
1. Movement.
2. Overrun.
3. An assault against enemy units in the river hex NOT enjoying the defensive river benefit (in other words, a counterattack against enemy units that captured the hex in the last enemy player turn.)
This is the mixed context. The units in the hex should be assumed to be partly exposed and partly protected. There is no defensive penalty or benefit. If the units attack out of the hex, they suffer the 0.7 attack modifier (this case is like the way it works now).

Case 3: The river hex began the last friendly player turn enemy controlled, and was captured by an assault against enemy units in the river hex that WERE enjoying the defensive river benefit (as in case 1 above). This is the major assault context. The units in the hex should be assumed to be fully exposed. They suffer the defensive penalty if attacked in the next enemy player turn (this case is like in James’ post above). BUT, if the units continue their attack out of the hex that same player-turn against any hex that doesn't qualify for Case 1, they do NOT suffer the 0.7 attack modifier (they’re already across – we don’t want the penalty to be paid twice).

It’s complicated, but it’s code only – no graphics – and it will affect all existing scenarios. Note that Case 1 simplifies defensive tactics and allows bridges to be defended – just deploy on the river hex.

...sounds unnecessarily obscure. Really, we could find similar problems with all kinds of terrain. Take hills overlooked by mountains -- the defender gains an advantage by being in that position? I could go on, too.

As of now, I know how a river hex works -- and I don't have any major issues with how it works. I don't particularly want to have to be trying to work out just who gained control of it how and calculating what that means the implications are for my attack. I want to see a river hex and know enough just by that.

As for the disadvantages of holding a bridge -- well, keeping a bridgehead open is hard. You want the defensive benefits of the river, you lose the offensive potential a bridgehead offers.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 217
RE: Defending a river line - 10/17/2007 10:07:53 PM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

All the very best,
IronDuke

You either fail to grasp or choose not to admit just how much it is possible to accomplish by editing equipment.

Put it this way. I have used my moving van to park in downtown loading zones and go to a movie. Instant free parking! Is that all my moving van is good for? No.

Your argument -- such as it is -- amounts to showing that free parking isn't all that great a benefit and so my moving van's not much of an asset. Inasmuch as I also happen to make my living with it, I'm not exactly impressed by your argument.

So what if a Fieseler Storch would be a trivial addition? That's hardly the limit of what it is possible to do with the equipment editor. Nor is the fact that we already have the equipment editor somehow an argument for going over to hexside rivers. That part of your argument sounds as if having established that I have a moving van, you feel you've come up with a compelling argument that I should start speculating on commodities futures. Never mind that I would have to learn a lot and that I happen to think it would be a poor idea -- I have to do it. I've already got a moving van, so I have to buy commodities futures. That would appear to be your reasoning.

After reading this, the only thing I was sure about was that you didn't understand my reasoning, and that had flowed over into an analogy that didn't really help.

Encapsulated in an analogy, my point is that in a computer tennis game, it would not necessarily be the end of the world if you could't customise the colour of the player's kit, since the game is tennis and it's about the gameplay.

Now, I am not suggesting we bin and refuse to play with the mod that allows this, merely that having this thrown up as a high value item in the middle of an argument about whether we should have tie breaks for tied sets is somewhat bemusing.

I don't have an issue with the equipment editor, have all the fun you want with it, I'm just saying that I want tie breaks, because this is a tennis game, and tennis has tie breaks.

Okay?

Trying to fathom your analogy, I suppose I am saying that you claiming free (presumably mildly illegal) parking when you watch movies is a good thing, in the middle of an argument in which I am attempting to convince the world to put brakes on the van is difficult for me to understand.

Free parking is nice, but it isn't what your van is for, and it is only really nice to be honest if your van is fit for purpose (ie moving things) as well. If your van isn't fit for moving things, or is mildly deficient, then free parking is hardly likely to make you feel better when you can't do your job, is it?

That is my point.

Lets get the coffee right before sticking the frothy stuff on top.

Regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 218
RE: Defending a river line - 10/17/2007 11:25:09 PM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

In other words, the guts of this game are whether it does the Western and Eastern fronts & maybe the Med in an operational context.

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden deliciousOK.
If you don't have an equipment editor, how do you stop Western units getting flooded with Russian squads? How do you simulate the British manpower shortage which was critical in 1944, whilst leaving the Americans flush with troops?

You can only fudge it by using different squad types. But Russians weren't really "light rifle squads"- not for the whole damned war. Nor where American squads all bristling with firepower as will be the case if you give them heavy rifle squads.

This is just the biggest example of the problem. There are nuances within nuances.

Well national characteristics would be right behind Supply and formations in my wish list. The game doesn't simulate this very well, at all.

However, you could argue you could present a case hereabouts for "Rifle Squads B" and "Rifle Squads" and have it patched. What you do have personally is a scenario pushing the game way beyond its limits so although a problem, it isn't as bad as some of the others you might have already. I'm guessing you are making hard choices quite frequently.

I'd concede the British manpower shortage in a coalition setting is a good example, but I haven't heard too many like it to date. It fits the bill as a purely operational consideration in an operational game.

quote:

Everything else is nice, I concede, but you need the basics first. Basics include simulating terrain correctly. Fire in the East is a good example. Very popular scenario and the way most people (I guess) play it puts a huge premium on the river rules since Soviet players early war and German players late war will all trade a little space to anchor along some water.

quote:

Right. Doesn't this demonstrate that rivers already function very effectively as military obstacles under the current system?

Yes, but then we're not about simulating things as difficult or really difficult, but simulating them correctly. The question is do they work as they should IRL, which is where I'd say no.

quote:

TOAW is an operational game in which equipment is (I would contend) a very minor and secondary consideration.

quote:

You're probably right here. A lot of players obsess about their special units almost as much as Hitler did. However adding minor new types of equipment I would consider to be one of the subsidiary benefits of the equipment editor.

This has been my impression. To be fair, you have an issue needing solving, but much else that I have seen hasn't really lit any fireworks with me. The current discussion in Bioed HQ about designing more Naval units is a good case in point. The game doesn't do Navy so having "accurate to the relevant refit" Destroyers strikes me as only marginally more relevant to scenarios than simulating concert parties and Bob Hope in theatre tours would be.

To have something subsidiary of something largely subsidiary brought to this particular party is what got me tetchy.

What scenario is so large in scope, you're simulating both Russian, British and American squads? What is the scale?

Regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 219
RE: Defending a river line - 10/17/2007 11:45:19 PM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

1. Movement.
2. Overrun.

Very complicated for the User (who after all is what we are all about) but a far better option (I happily concede) than flawed mechanics. I also agree with the rules and the logic and particularly like the way it sorts out the defence of bridges and river crossings (which would get a benefit if I understand this when the attacking units incurred a penalty) and brings all the missing territory into play.

Ultimately, any product either suits the user or suits the manufacturer. I would personally prefer this, because I want the operational rule changes, but who knows what others might think.

Therefore, if you were going with this, I'd urge a switch within advanced game options to turn it on and off.

That said, a compromise I'd be very comfortable with. Are super river hexes exempt, or would we allow movement on them, but not allow movement across them without ferry assets.

Regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 220
RE: Defending a river line - 10/18/2007 12:45:33 AM   
Telumar

quote:

...sounds unnecessarily obscure. Really, we could find similar problems with all kinds of terrain. Take hills overlooked by mountains -- the defender gains an advantage by being in that position? I could go on, too.

Disagree. I like Bob's idea.

The advantage the defender gets is already that of the mountain terrain's defensive benefits. Of course the defender can oversee the lower terrain, but at 10km/hex? Or at 15? There are always valleys or lower ground in the hilly terrain where one is safe from enemy observation. Or forests.. Whereas in a river hex there are not always many bridges..

Post #: 221
RE: Defending a river line - 10/18/2007 5:06:13 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

quote:

The advantage the defender gets is already that of the mountain terrain's defensive benefits. Of course the defender can oversee the lower terrain, but at 10km/hex? Or at 15? There are always valleys or lower ground in the hilly terrain where one is safe from enemy observation. Or forests.. Whereas in a river hex there are not always many bridges..

Yeah -- but at 5 km or 2.5 km? I was working on Seelowe. Being dug in on a range of 300 meter-high hills is not an advantage if the attacker is looking down on you from a 1000-meter high ridge a few kilometers away -- with no low ground between you and him.

The point is that there are all kinds of problems with the terrain in the game -- the above is just a random example. To fixate on rivers as 'the problem' is mildly absurd. The rivers actually work relatively well.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 222
RE: Defending a river line - 10/18/2007 11:57:29 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

However, you could argue you could present a case hereabouts for "Rifle Squads B" and "Rifle Squads" and have it patched.

And C, D, E, F, G and H. Same for support squads, engineer squads, mounted rifle squads, MMGs, certain types of artillery and other heavy weapons.

Sounds like a lot of work? Good thing we've got an equipment editor, then.

quote:

Yes, but then we're not about simulating things as difficult or really difficult, but simulating them correctly. The question is do they work as they should IRL, which is where I'd say no.

I'd say they do. You've been arguing about how TOAW is an operational game. At an operational level, rivers have much the same effect now as they would if they were on a hexside. The differences would be tactical.

quote:

This has been my impression. To be fair, you have an issue needing solving, but much else that I have seen hasn't really lit any fireworks with me. The current discussion in Bioed HQ about designing more Naval units is a good case in point. The game doesn't do Navy so having "accurate to the relevant refit" Destroyers strikes me as only marginally more relevant to scenarios than simulating concert parties and Bob Hope in theatre tours would be.

Yeah. Using generic ship types with an accurate naval model would be much more realistic than using specially designed ship types in the current naval model.

quote:

What scenario is so large in scope, you're simulating both Russian, British and American squads? What is the scale?

This is my version of "Europe Aflame". Because of it's scope the original scenario is probably the most popular out there, and I re-designed the whole OOB for it in my own version. However no-one plays my version, and I haven't updated it for TOAW III.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 10/18/2007 12:05:37 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 223
RE: Defending a river line - 10/18/2007 12:02:31 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Yeah -- but at 5 km or 2.5 km? I was working on Seelowe. Being dug in on a range of 300 meter-high hills is not an advantage if the attacker is looking down on you from a 1000-meter high ridge a few kilometers away -- with no low ground between you and him.

But "hills" or "mountains" doesn't refer to the elevation, it refers to the defensive characteristics of the ground. If there is a "ridge" dropping down 700m over a few kilometres, you would class that as minor escarpment- which does in fact give advantages to the attacker on higher ground. In fact you have done so already.

Really, you're arguing for designing maps a certain way. Seeing as how your Seelowe map is already designed in that way, I don't see the problem.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 224
RE: Defending a river line - 10/18/2007 12:30:51 PM   
Telumar

quote:

quote:

quote:

The point is that there are all kinds of problems with the terrain in the game -- the above is just a random example. To fixate on rivers as 'the problem' is mildly absurd. The rivers actually work relatively well.

If you want ultimate realism in such tactical situations you're better off with the AA series.. With toaw providing such a flexibility and variety of scales and periods one has to live with a certain degree of abstraction.

Otherwise as the golden apple said. And: Attacking into the mountains provides the defenders with terrain specific defensive bonus. Attacking out of the mountains into the hills means that the attacker has to enter the hilly terrain and thus this terrain's combat modifiers are applied. Where's the problem? Regarding escarpments there is already a big disadvantage for those sitting on the lower ground and being fired at with long range weapons from the high ground.

< Message edited by Telumar -- 10/18/2007 12:34:15 PM >

Post #: 225
RE: Defending a river line - 10/18/2007 5:18:07 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In other words, focus in on what your real objective is. It isn't to get all sub variants of the Fiesler Storch into the game,
All the very best,
IronDuke

..easy, helicopter, active defender, 1 AP, 0 AT, recon..

..so much easier than all that tiresome flying from airfield to airfield stuff..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

Post #: 226
RE: Defending a river line - 10/18/2007 7:02:58 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

As of now, I know how a river hex works -- and I don't have any major issues with how it works. I don't particularly want to have to be trying to work out just who gained control of it how and calculating what that means the implications are for my attack. I want to see a river hex and know enough just by that.

I probably wouldn't have posted about it if James hadn't said in his post that he intended to get Ralph to look into changing it so that defending in the river hex would incur the river penalty. If we're going to do that, then we might as well do it right.

As to figuring it out, there would obviously have to be some display of the defender's Case 1/2/3 status - at least in the info panel, perhaps elsewhere as well.

quote:

As for the disadvantages of holding a bridge -- well, keeping a bridgehead open is hard. You want the defensive benefits of the river, you lose the offensive potential a bridgehead offers.

That's the point. Within the river hex, units could be in a "beachhead" condition (mostly on the enemy side of the river, in a "defensive" condition (mostly on the friendly side of the river), or somewhere inbetween. This is a way to tell that from the context. If the hex has been in the friendly player's control for some time, he's unlikely to still be in the "beachhead" condition, and is very likely to have fallen back to the "defensive" condition. That makes it easier to defend any bridge in the hex, and deserves a defensive benfit.

Post #: 227
RE: Defending a river line - 10/18/2007 7:10:28 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Very complicated for the User (who after all is what we are all about) but a far better option (I happily concede) than flawed mechanics. I also agree with the rules and the logic and particularly like the way it sorts out the defence of bridges and river crossings (which would get a benefit if I understand this when the attacking units incurred a penalty) and brings all the missing territory into play.

As I said in my post to Colin, there would have to be some display of the Case 1/2/3 status. (It might be a good idea to call them something besides Case 1/2/3, too - say something like "Hedgehog", "Mixed", and "Beachhead". Other ideas are welcome if anyone has any.)

quote:

Therefore, if you were going with this, I'd urge a switch within advanced game options to turn it on and off.

That's pretty much standard practice.

quote:

That said, a compromise I'd be very comfortable with. Are super river hexes exempt, or would we allow movement on them, but not allow movement across them without ferry assets.

It would apply to all river hexes. It would have no effect on how movement functions now. There is a wishlist item about giving super rivers a greater penalty than regular rivers, but that's a separate issue.

Post #: 228
RE: Defending a river line - 10/18/2007 7:14:54 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

We currently have a feature that increases the weight of an artillery unit's fire if it is firing down a major escarpment. That could be employed for that case.

Post #: 229
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 3:37:37 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If you want ultimate realism in such tactical situations you're better off with the AA series.. With toaw providing such a flexibility and variety of scales and periods one has to live with a certain degree of abstraction.

Oh I agree. But that's precisely why I'm less than enthralled with the prospect of any programming time at all going into this inane river issue. The rivers work reasonably well in the scale of things -- so move on to something else.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 230
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 3:40:55 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

We currently have a feature that increases the weight of an artillery unit's fire if it is firing down a major escarpment. That could be employed for that case.

Yeah -- but really,my point is that the modelling of the effects of rivers is the least of TOAW's deficiencies, and as the last ten pages or so demonstrate, one of the more debatable. So I say leave the rivers alone. We'll worry about changing the color of the tile in the bathroom after we've fixed the leaky roof.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 231
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 8:51:54 AM   
rhinobones

In country, out of the www for only a few days and I come home to find several new pages of debate that seem to be predicated upon the idea that massive (massive isn’t my word, it was first used by someone else) reprogramming of TOAW is required in order to incorporate hex side rivers.  I read that neither TOAW III nor IV is scheduled for such a feature.  I read that the TOAD team is of the opinion that people who desire certain features are crying like babies.  I read about people declaring other people’s thoughts as “irrelevant”  .  .  .  doesn’t sound like the debate I participated in just a week ago.

This thread has evidently strayed far from the original intent.  Or, at least, what I thought was the original intent.  That was to discuss/debate the merits of hex side rivers as opposed to Koger rivers.  This debate was to be in the context of a “Wish List” item.  Emphasis on “wish”.  The debaters in favor of the existing Koger river system appear to understand this as an attempt to perform an overhaul of the current code and replace it with an evolutionary code.  This is simple not the case.  Far as I know there has never been an intent, or suggestion, to replace the existing TOAW system with a new TOAW system.  However, this seems to be the interpretation some people have given to the wish for hex side rivers and constructed their arguments accordingly.

Kids, it’s just a wish.  Please consider it as such and make you responses in that context.  The ultimate wish is that some day there will be a companion to TOAW that has all the realism, flexibility and functionality as TOAW, but with hex side rivers and WEGO.  I see no reason why there cannot be two TOAD teams, exchanging information and improving their products cooperatively for the gaming community.  This may not be currently on the Matrix drawing boards, but I think there may be a war game on the horizon that will force TOAW to consider these changes.

I made this prediction a couple of years ago, and I stick to it.  That is:

When Combined Arms is published (WEGO, hex side rivers, editable scenarios, battalion level combat, Matrix support), the TOAW forums will go silent as war game enthusiasts quickly migrate to a new, and better, game system. 

Of course the die hards of the TOAW community took issue with my prediction, but that is to be expected.  I still stand by my prediction  .  .  .  I just need for Combined Arms to be published!!

Regards, RhinoBones

Post #: 232
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 10:39:08 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

In country, out of the www for only a few days and I come home to find several new pages of debate that seem to be predicated upon the idea that massive (massive isn’t my word, it was first used by someone else) reprogramming of TOAW is required in order to incorporate hex side rivers. I read that neither TOAW III nor IV is scheduled for such a feature. I read that the TOAD team is of the opinion that people who desire certain features are crying like babies. I read about people declaring other people’s thoughts as “irrelevant” . . . doesn’t sound like the debate I participated in just a week ago.

This thread has evidently strayed far from the original intent. Or, at least, what I thought was the original intent. That was to discuss/debate the merits of hex side rivers as opposed to Koger rivers. This debate was to be in the context of a “Wish List” item. Emphasis on “wish”. The debaters in favor of the existing Koger river system appear to understand this as an attempt to perform an overhaul of the current code and replace it with an evolutionary code. This is simple not the case. Far as I know there has never been an intent, or suggestion, to replace the existing TOAW system with a new TOAW system. However, this seems to be the interpretation some people have given to the wish for hex side rivers and constructed their arguments accordingly.

Kids, it’s just a wish. Please consider it as such and make you responses in that context. The ultimate wish is that some day there will be a companion to TOAW that has all the realism, flexibility and functionality as TOAW, but with hex side rivers and WEGO. I see no reason why there cannot be two TOAD teams, exchanging information and improving their products cooperatively for the gaming community. This may not be currently on the Matrix drawing boards, but I think there may be a war game on the horizon that will force TOAW to consider these changes.

I made this prediction a couple of years ago, and I stick to it. That is:

When Combined Arms is published (WEGO, hex side rivers, editable scenarios, battalion level combat, Matrix support), the TOAW forums will go silent as war game enthusiasts quickly migrate to a new, and better, game system.

Of course the die hards of the TOAW community took issue with my prediction, but that is to be expected. I still stand by my prediction . . . I just need for Combined Arms to be published!!

Regards, RhinoBones

In brief, (a) you vote for hex side rivers, (b) you want two development teams, and (c) it doesn't matter, because Combined Arms is going to be so much better (when it's released).

Hexside rivers are indeed just a wish. However, it's perfectly reasonable to (a) explain why one doesn't share the wish, (b) point out that if Norm did program this change, he hasn't turned over the code to anyone, and (c) submit that it would indeed involve a lot of programming to implement this wish -- which unlike many wishes, isn't even universally agreed to be desirable.

I see it as like my wife wanting to build a helipad in the backyard. Well, maybe I should just agree that it would be a fine thing -- but then, I'm just not that way. I'll feel obliged to point out that (a) I don't want a helipad in the backyard, and (b) it would be quite a project to build it. How about a deck instead, dearest? We all agree we want that.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/19/2007 10:58:02 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 233
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 12:03:46 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

I'm sure Combined Arms is a fine system. However, it doesn't compete with TOAW because the scales are different. And then there's the question of the first word in your above quote.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 10/19/2007 12:09:03 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 234
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 12:54:11 PM   
Telumar

quote:

quote:

I'm sure Combined Arms is a fine system. However, it doesn't compete with TOAW because the scales are different. And then there's the question of the first word in your above quote.

If CA had the flexibility in time and scale like toaw has i would agree with Rhino, but it hasn't. Nevertheless a definite buy. :)

GD, it will definitely be the competitor to Toaw. No matter the scales and such.

Post #: 235
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 1:04:53 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

GD, it will definitely be the competitor to Toaw. No matter the scales and such.

I remain unconvinced. What are the most popular scenarios for TOAW? The large scale, strategic ones. It's a completely different kind of experience from a 1km/hex battle. Most TOAW players want the grand scale- not the nitty-gritty.

Further and on a cynical note, although I'm interested in realism, most players aren't too bothered about it. WEGO may remove a lot of the unrealistic occurences in TOAW, but these things don't bother players much. Look at the discussion of Europe Aflame: for them, it's like a game of chess. It doesn't matter than a castle can't move, that bishops have limited offensive capability, and that queens don't generally kick arse across the map. The appeal is that it's a familiar system where you can test out the various strategies which have developed over the years, and compare your skill against another player. Cavalry in commando brigades doesn't lessen this aspect of the game.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 10/19/2007 1:08:50 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 236
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 5:48:57 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

WEGO may remove a lot of the unrealistic occurences in TOAW, ...

And inject more. It is no panacea.

Real forces operate both simultaneously AND sentiently. WEGO gets the simultaneous part right but the sentient part wrong. IGOUGO gets the sentient part right and the simultaneous part wrong.

For most situations the sentient part is far more important. Most of the time one side is primarily in a positional defense, where WEGO will have little impact.

On the other hand, think of the now universal infantry tactic of infiltration developed in 1917. It's principle was "take the path of least resistance". That can't be programmed in advance, unless movement allowances are so short that no unrevealed forces can be encountered.

TOAW is just too flexible. Scenarios can have huge movement allowances. Try and imagine CFNA using WEGO. I suppose one could design specific scenarios tailored to function in a WEGO environment, but IGOUGO would have to be retained for most.

Post #: 237
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 6:21:49 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Real forces operate both simultaneously AND sentiently. WEGO gets the simultaneous part right but the sentient part wrong. IGOUGO gets the sentient part right and the simultaneous part wrong.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing for the player not to have minute control of every movement a unit makes. Of course a simple WEGO system would apply this very unevenly.

quote:

TOAW is just too flexible. Scenarios can have huge movement allowances.

This tends to make the problems of IGO-UGO more apparent, though. Force A completes a stunning encirclement of Force B over the course of a week. Force B just sits there.

Overall, WEGO is probably better for realism. As Rommel would say, any reaction is better than no reaction. But until it is applied at the full range of scales covered by TOAW, it won't threaten to replace TOAW, and even then the vagueries of the system may lead a lot of people to stick to IGO-UGO because it's what they're used to.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 10/19/2007 6:28:07 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 238
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 7:28:34 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

And inject more. It is no panacea.

For most situations the sentient part is far more important. Most of the time one side is primarily in a positional defense, where WEGO will have little impact . . .

Telumar - Check out this response. It is a perfect example of the way people bend backwards to rationalize IGYG as more reliastic than WEGO. "Sentiently" Not real sure what sentiently is intended to mean, but I suspect it just might be a case of watching too much Star Trek.

Curt - Next time you're on an open highway try the IGYG at 65 mph. If you survive, write us a note.

Regards, RhinoBones

Post #: 239
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 8:14:08 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

However, it doesn't compete with TOAW because the scales are different. And then there's the question of the first word in your above quote.

Yes, agree that the big "when" is a critical milestone for CA. Hopefully the "when" comes while I'm still capable of punching computer keys. There is hope though; a few of Iron Duke's statements make me think that a release is in the foreseeable future.

Also agree that CA has a serious limitation on scale. Would like to see spatial and distance scales more in line with TOAW, but at this point in time it is much too soon to make a “wish” list. However, with all that said, there are still quite a few TOAW scenarios at 2.5 km and battalion/company units that would do very well as CA scenarios. As examples, I think that Two Weeks In Normandy, A Bridge Too Far, Leros 1943 and CFNA would do very well as 1 km, CA scenarios.

Regards, RhinoBones

Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> RE: Defending a river line Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI