Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Defending a river line

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> RE: Defending a river line Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 9:17:54 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Real forces operate both simultaneously AND sentiently. WEGO gets the simultaneous part right but the sentient part wrong. IGOUGO gets the sentient part right and the simultaneous part wrong.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing for the player not to have minute control of every movement a unit makes. Of course a simple WEGO system would apply this very unevenly.

quote:

TOAW is just too flexible. Scenarios can have huge movement allowances.

This tends to make the problems of IGO-UGO more apparent, though. Force A completes a stunning encirclement of Force B over the course of a week. Force B just sits there.

Overall, WEGO is probably better for realism. As Rommel would say, any reaction is better than no reaction. But until it is applied at the full range of scales covered by TOAW, it won't threaten to replace TOAW, and even then the vagueries of the system may lead a lot of people to stick to IGO-UGO because it's what they're used to.

What comes to my mind is the different reaction speeds of different armies. Some armies do just sit there. This was a major problem with the Iraqi army in their war with Iran. An Iraqi division would be getting chewed to pieces -- but no one could move until Saddam had been consulted. Similarly with the Russians -- particularly before 1944. The British in World War One chronically made holes -- and then failed to do anything with them until it was too late.

Conversely, one of the great virtues of the German army was that it would react. You break through, and you better exploit the hole now. If you wait an hour, a battalion of infantry will be digging in. Leave a weir unguarded and some bright young spark of a panzer commander will have a battalion of infantry over it by breakfast and be working on building a bridge. Etc.

So 'we go' has its points. However, it's not a panacea.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 241
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 9:29:54 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

quote:

...sounds unnecessarily obscure. Really, we could find similar problems with all kinds of terrain. Take hills overlooked by mountains -- the defender gains an advantage by being in that position? I could go on, too.

Disagree. I like Bob's idea.

The advantage the defender gets is already that of the mountain terrain's defensive benefits. Of course the defender can oversee the lower terrain, but at 10km/hex? Or at 15? There are always valleys or lower ground in the hilly terrain where one is safe from enemy observation. Or forests.. Whereas in a river hex there are not always many bridges..

Yeah -- but at 5 km or 2.5 km? I was working on Seelowe. Being dug in on a range of 300 meter-high hills is not an advantage if the attacker is looking down on you from a 1000-meter high ridge a few kilometers away -- with no low ground between you and him.

The point is that there are all kinds of problems with the terrain in the game -- the above is just a random example. To fixate on rivers as 'the problem' is mildly absurd. The rivers actually work relatively well.

If you want ultimate realism in such tactical situations you're better off with the AA series..

Maybe you need to reread my posts. My point is not that 'hills' need to be fixed, but that the way 'rivers' are modeled is no worse than the way any other terrain is modeled. As I said, the hill/mountain thing is just one example. To take some others:

Why is 'plain terrain' universally the same? The fact is that even the plainest of plain terrain as in Western Europe offers far more in the way of defensive possibilties than the Don Steppe, or the desert in North Africa.

What about woodland in developed countries? Look at a map: they're laced with fine roads. The defensive possibilities are cetainly there -- but movement is halved? No it isn't: go ahead and drive through the local wood. Your car will go fully as fast as it will when there're no trees around.

I could go on -- or we could start arguing about the above examples. The point, however, would remain. There's nothing in particular wrong with the way rivers are handled. TOAW has to grossly oversimplify and generalize. We'll always be able to find flaws with the terrain we're given. Which of these flaws bother us, and even whether we see them as flaws at all depends entirely on what we're trying to model. Make rivers work 'right' for one setting, and they'll just be wrong for another.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/19/2007 9:33:55 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 242
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 9:32:51 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

quote:

And inject more. It is no panacea.

Real forces operate both simultaneously AND sentiently. WEGO gets the simultaneous part right but the sentient part wrong. IGOUGO gets the sentient part right and the simultaneous part wrong.

For most situations the sentient part is far more important. Most of the time one side is primarily in a positional defense, where WEGO will have little impact . . .

Telumar - Check out this response. It is a perfect example of the way people bend backwards to rationalize IGYG as more reliastic than WEGO. "Sentiently" Not real sure what sentiently is intended to mean, but I suspect it just might be a case of watching too much Star Trek.

Curt - Next time you're on an open highway try the IGYG at 65 mph. If you survive, write us a note.

Actually, the IGYG system on roadways is known as 'traffic lights.' They do indeed work pretty good.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 243
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 9:34:54 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

However, it doesn't compete with TOAW because the scales are different. And then there's the question of the first word in your above quote.

Yes, agree that the big "when" is a critical milestone for CA. Hopefully the "when" comes while I'm still capable of punching computer keys. There is hope though; a few of Iron Duke's statements make me think that a release is in the foreseeable future.

Also agree that CA has a serious limitation on scale. Would like to see spatial and distance scales more in line with TOAW, but at this point in time it is much too soon to make a “wish” list. However, with all that said, there are still quite a few TOAW scenarios at 2.5 km and battalion/company units that would do very well as CA scenarios. As examples, I think that Two Weeks In Normandy, A Bridge Too Far, Leros 1943 and CFNA would do very well as 1 km, CA scenarios.

Regards, RhinoBones

CFNA at one km/hex? Just how big a map did you have in mind? Anyway, I've no objection to a system that covers this scale -- which OPART doesn't. In fact, I've no objection to any alternate system at all. I'm just not prepared to believe it's actually going to be a better mousetrap until I see the dead mice.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/19/2007 9:40:15 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 244
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 9:46:26 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

Actually, the IGYG system on roadways is known as 'traffic lights.' They do indeed work pretty good.

Think you need to re-read my post. I specifically said 'open highway'. No traffic lights on the open highways that I travel. This is just another distortion created by IGYG.

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 245
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 10:12:24 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

Think you need to re-read my post. I specifically said 'open highway'. No traffic lights on the open highways that I travel. This is just another distortion created by IGYG.

Regards, RhinoBones

No -- but traffic is regulated so that it's all flowing one way on one side of the road. At least it is assuming you're not posting from certain countries I've visited.

Anyway, your metaphor is flawed. It would be valid if IGYG let each player move units whenever he pleased. Actually it is indeed like a signalized intersection: first the traffic going one way moves, then the traffic going the other way moves. You would assert that it would work better if everyone just went at once.

It's a red herring, though. I can see the advantages of WeGo. It's just that (a) there are problems implementing it, and (b) it's not a panacea.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 246
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 10:37:39 PM   
Telumar

Be it as it is, TOAW IV will most probably see no WEGO. Kind of useless to discuss about it. Though i can't understand what should be better with IGYG than with WEGO. The question is not wether it's a panacea or not. Fact is: it simply models things in a more realistic fashion. It's obviously.

But everyone al Gusto.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Colin Wright
Maybe you need to reread my posts. My point is not that 'hills' need to be fixed, but that the way 'rivers' are modeled is no worse than the way any other terrain is modeled. As I said, the hill/mountain thing is just one example.

[...]

The point, however, would remain. There's nothing in particular wrong with the way rivers are handled. TOAW has to grossly oversimplify and generalize. We'll always be able to find flaws with the terrain we're given. Which of these flaws bother us, and even whether we see them as flaws at all depends entirely on what we're trying to model. Make rivers work 'right' for one setting, and they'll just be wrong for another.

Okay. Agree. But no reason to leave things as they are. If we find a better way to model a certain thing we should do it.

Post #: 247
RE: Defending a river line - 10/19/2007 10:39:47 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

. . . and (b) it's not a panacea.

Don’t think that I have heard anyone from the WEGO side state that WEGO is a panacea. You are the only one who has used that word and you continue to falsely imply that the WEGO side is claiming WEGO to be a panacea. This just isn’t true. I just think that when one objectively adds up all of the pros and cons, WEGO comes out ahead.

In real life though, it would sometimes be advantageous to be in an IGYG system. I could fly to the bad guy’s place, make the hit and fly home before the bad guys get a chance to move. For that I guess, IGYG gets one point on the pro side.

In the mean time, the DOW is off 300+ points and I’m making money on my short positions. That’s the power of WEGO.

Regards, RhinoBones

Post #: 248
RE: Defending a river line - 10/20/2007 11:21:01 AM   
JAMiAM

Unfortunately, having been on the Beta Team for CA, almost 4 full years ago, and presumably still under the terms of its NDA, all I can say is:

1. I believe that if/when CA is released, it will end up appealing to gamers who are looking for a significantly different gaming experience than TOAW III, or TOAW IV. There really is very little overlap between the two systems.

2. Only those gamers whose ideals of realism are extremely heavily weighted in favor of WEGO over IGOUGO, will fell that CA is any more "realistic" than TOAW III. Again, it is a very different system than TOAW III, and some of the things that TOAW deals well with, and in detail, are highly abstracted in CA, and vice versa.

3. I believe that due to these differences, the games will be less competitors in terms of market share of the operational wargame construction kit style niche than people are predicting. They will be much more complimentary products than competitive products.

4. Of the two, TOAW III will be the game that I will still prefer to play, while TOAW IV will end up being the game I have always dreamed of playing, and...

5. No comment...

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 249
RE: Defending a river line - 10/20/2007 11:28:32 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

quote:

. . . and (b) it's not a panacea.

Don’t think that I have heard anyone from the WEGO side state that WEGO is a panacea. You are the only one who has used that word and you continue to falsely imply that the WEGO side is claiming WEGO to be a panacea.

Actually, that's not true. I think Bob first used it in this thread, and for what it's worth, for the last 24 hours, I was mentally composing a reply that was going to use the word, but was delayed by being afk...

Time to buy a lotto ticket when the three of us agree on anything...

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 250
RE: Defending a river line - 10/20/2007 11:39:58 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

This thread has evidently strayed far from the original intent.  Or, at least, what I thought was the original intent.  That was to discuss/debate the merits of hex side rivers as opposed to Koger rivers.  This debate was to be in the context of a “Wish List” item...

No. It was only after the CA crowd and those chomping at the bit in waiting for it decided to hijack the thread, that it veered away from its original intent into a knockdown, drag-out brawl over the merits of one system over another, wishlists, development time versus perceived engine improvement, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

The original intent was to ask a simple gameplay question on how they worked and an observation that Elmer did not seem to lend them too much credence. Maybe he's smarter than we give him credit for, after all...

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 251
RE: Defending a river line - 10/20/2007 6:59:27 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

It isn't necessarily a bad thing for the player not to have minute control of every movement a unit makes. Of course a simple WEGO system would apply this very unevenly.

It's far worse to have no control at all over them once you push the "start" button. Think of the incredible range of decisions you make over the course of a game turn. They can't be pre-plotted in advance because you don't know how combats will turn out or what hidden units will be encountered.

Just think of the simple case where you mount a suite of attacks. You don't know which will be successful in advance. But you will send your reserves into the breach of whichever ones are. No way to pre-plot that.

Of course, you can always hand it over to the PO. But that's about as brainless - and is it really wargaming?

WEGO would actually be a good system for modeling the Somme, or any other WWI-like topic, where the units performed like mindless robots.

quote:

This tends to make the problems of IGO-UGO more apparent, though. Force A completes a stunning encirclement of Force B over the course of a week. Force B just sits there.

Actually sounds like a lot of historical events I can think of.

Post #: 252
RE: Defending a river line - 10/20/2007 7:10:37 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

"Sentiently" Not real sure what sentiently is intended to mean, but I suspect it just might be a case of watching too much Star Trek.

Sentient: "Aware", "alert", "cognizant", "observant", "conscious and alive". In other words, not a mindless robot.

quote:

Curt - Next time you're on an open highway try the IGYG at 65 mph. If you survive, write us a note.

Far, far better than using WEGO. Here's the WEGO trip to the grocery store:

I program my car to back out of the driveway, drive down the street to the intersection, turn on to the main road, drive through the traffic light, turn left, drive to the entrance, enter the parking lot, and park in the space in front. I stay home and wait for its return.

It backs over children on the way out of the driveway, hits a parked car on the way to the intersection, gets sideswiped turning onto the main road, hits head-on at the light, runs over a grandmother with her shopping cart in the parking lot, and pulls into an occupied space to park.

At least in the IGOUGO drive to the grocery store, I'm actually in the car controlling it.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 253
RE: Defending a river line - 10/20/2007 7:37:37 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

"Sentiently" Not real sure what sentiently is intended to mean, but I suspect it just might be a case of watching too much Star Trek.

Sentient: "Aware", "alert", "cognizant", "observant", "conscious and alive". In other words, not a mindless robot.

quote:

Far, far better than using WEGO. Here's the WEGO trip to the grocery store:

I program my car to back out of the driveway, drive down the street to the intersection, turn on to the main road, drive through the traffic light, turn left, drive to the entrance, enter the parking lot, and park in the space in front. I stay home and wait for its return.

It backs over children on the way out of the driveway, hits a parked car on the way to the intersection, gets sideswiped turning onto the main road, hits head-on at the light, runs over a grandmother with her shopping cart in the parking lot, and pulls into an occupied space to park.

And that sounds like a lot of battles I can think of.

I'd like to see a WEGO system. How well it would work is another matter, of course.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 254
RE: Defending a river line - 10/21/2007 3:11:45 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

WEGO may remove a lot of the unrealistic occurences in TOAW, ...

And inject more. It is no panacea.

For most situations the sentient part is far more important. Most of the time one side is primarily in a positional defense, where WEGO will have little impact.

On the other hand, think of the now universal infantry tactic of infiltration developed in 1917. It's principle was "take the path of least resistance". That can't be programmed in advance, unless movement allowances are so short that no unrevealed forces can be encountered.

TOAW is just too flexible. Scenarios can have huge movement allowances. Try and imagine CFNA using WEGO. I suppose one could design specific scenarios tailored to function in a WEGO environment, but IGOUGO would have to be retained for most.

Combined Arms copes with the sentience angle by having pre-set choices about what to do if something unexpected happens. If you think you are going to run into something, you can pre-set your forces to defend or attack etc if they come up against this. So, they merrily proceed forward and then revert to this programming if they hit something in their path.

Of course, it doesn't allow you to specify for each unit what to do at point of unexpected contact as you can in IGOUGO, but then no one ever got this kind of control in real life either so you're not losing a valuable part of a simulation, but losing an unhistorical part of any simulation.

I personally think the two games will exist side by side for a time because CA is at the lower operational level. However, with WEGO, the ability to switch units between parent formations, Command and control rules, dynamic supply for both ammo/food and petrol/gas as separate commodities on a formation by formation basis (and a scenario editor which is a dream when it comes to composing OOBs) I think TOAW will be supplanted if they decide to up the scale for a CA 2. That would be my choice but the Project Leads may decide to do Modern CA instead, who knows.

TOAW may actually suffer because of a combination of WIR and CA. I wouldn't have thought 2by3 would stop, having done the eastern front, if the game engine has some mileage left in it. A new map and some new terrain types wouldn't be that hard if the moement, supply and combat mechanics were already worked out and you wanted to do the Western front.

IronDuke

Post #: 255
RE: Defending a river line - 10/21/2007 3:18:25 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

When Combined Arms is published (WEGO, hex side rivers, editable scenarios, battalion level combat, Matrix support), the TOAW forums will go silent as war game enthusiasts quickly migrate to a new, and better, game system. 

I'm sure Combined Arms is a fine system. However, it doesn't compete with TOAW because the scales are different. And then there's the question of the first word in your above quote.

It will be released.

Besides when is TOAW IV due?

Whatever the answer to the above, will it have formation, supply and national characteristics sorted out?

Regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 256
RE: Defending a river line - 10/21/2007 4:54:29 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronDuke

Whatever the answer to the above, will it have formation, supply and national characteristics sorted out?

Regards,
IronDuke

And air/naval warfare?

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 257
RE: Defending a river line - 10/21/2007 5:42:38 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Provided all the unit commanders have had lobotomies.

Post #: 258
RE: Defending a river line - 10/21/2007 6:08:33 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Combined Arms copes with the sentience angle by having pre-set choices about what to do if something unexpected happens. If you think you are going to run into something, you can pre-set your forces to defend or attack etc if they come up against this. So, they merrily proceed forward and then revert to this programming if they hit something in their path.

Which covers about 0.1% of the possible situations that can be encountered. You simply can't pre-program an evaluation of the situation that remotely compares with what a human can evalute. So, that unit you programmed to stop if it encounters something does so when it hits that truck park. The other unit you programmed to drive on does so when it bumps into Panzer Lehr. And, of course, there is no way to coordinate forces or manuever in such unplanned encounters.

And, as I said before, there is no way to implement infiltration tactics - Warfare 101 since 1918. You can't pre-program "take the path of least resistance" or "reinforce success, abandon failure". Again, the more WWI-like the topic, the better WEGO will do.

quote:

Of course, it doesn't allow you to specify for each unit what to do at point of unexpected contact as you can in IGOUGO, but then no one ever got this kind of control in real life either so you're not losing a valuable part of a simulation, but losing an unhistorical part of any simulation.

Not true, even at the individual soldier scale, much less TOAW's scales. Even individual soldiers had the latitude to adjust their paths to flank and coordinate against anything they encountered. No Post-WWI force functions as brainlessly as WEGO requires.

In fact, I have to ask: Just where is the wargaming in all of this? There doesn't seem to be much more to it than pointing your forces where you want them to go and watching them go.

Post #: 259
RE: Defending a river line - 10/21/2007 6:14:37 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

... and CFNA would do very well as 1 km, CA scenarios.

CFNA at one km/hex? Just how big a map did you have in mind?

1360 x 745 hexes.

And each motorized unit would have a movement allowance of 330 MPs. Each MP would have to be pre-programmed blind. So MP #234 would have to be programmed without knowing what had happened during the expenditure of MPs 1-233, etc.

Post #: 260
RE: Defending a river line - 10/21/2007 6:34:58 PM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

Regards,
IronDuke

And air/naval warfare?

Not if you want War in the Pacific, I suspect.

Post #: 261
RE: Defending a river line - 10/21/2007 7:49:15 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

Provided all the unit commanders have had lobotomies.

What was it Moltke said? 'No plan survives contact with the enemy?'

Things do go askew, and the enemy will insist on being uncooperative. If WEGO isn't a panacea, IGYG certainly isn't the ideal.

If, for example, one had an ideal wargaming system, the Germans in a 1940 scenario wouldn't be distinguished by greater firepower so much as by a better set of automatic responses to developments in the course of the turn. You as Rundstedt certainly aren't telling Balck et al to do what they did -- they're doing it on their own. Conversely, the French are tending to sit there and wait inertly until you can issue a new set of orders.

So I don't feel any need to dismiss WEGO out of hand. It's not like I'm convinced we have the answer in IGYG. Curious to see how well CA works, in fact.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/21/2007 8:14:41 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 262
RE: Defending a river line - 10/21/2007 8:09:43 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

Regards,
IronDuke

And air/naval warfare?

Not if you want War in the Pacific, I suspect.

No...TOAW will always be primarily a land warfare engine. However, it would be nice if the air/naval warfare could be improved to the point where scenarios covering Norway, or Sealion, or Crete, or the Eastern Mediterranean, or New Guinea could be properly modeled.

As things stand, we are pretty much confined to situations where the same side had both air and naval supremacy -- Normandy or Korea, for example -- or ones where there is no water to speak of at all -- Russia. When it comes to the others, we just have to omit the air/naval aspect of things ('what attempted amphibious invasion of Crete?' 'You mean the Royal Navy might have objected to the Germans landing in England?') or create scads of house rules and things.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 263
RE: Defending a river line - 10/22/2007 12:46:39 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

Which covers about 0.1% of the possible situations that can be encountered. You simply can't pre-program an evaluation of the situation that remotely compares with what a human can evalute. So, that unit you programmed to stop if it encounters something does so when it hits that truck park. The other unit you programmed to drive on does so when it bumps into Panzer Lehr. And, of course, there is no way to coordinate forces or manuever in such unplanned encounters.

How do you know what you've hit at the operational level until you attack it or at least probe it?

Besides, Combined Arms has a "Bypass" general order that allows you to tell your units to go around enemy units they encounter on their path. Also, there never was a way to co-ordinate manouevre when forces decided to step outside their Staff instructions.

Generally, units followed their AXIs of advance because going around generally meant you blundered into the axis of advance of the neighbouring unit which (depending on the level we are discussing) was either a Company, battalion, regiment or Division. This presented juicy arty interdiction targets and created traffic jams.

quote:

And, as I said before, there is no way to implement infiltration tactics - Warfare 101 since 1918.

Infiltration tactics were a (largely German) taqctical method of screening infantry advance behind darkness or broken terrain in order to open the attack from a closer, more advantageous and surprising position. It doesn;t really have a place in the operational level unless you simulate it with a combat modifier. It was about getting a better position to attack from, and penetrating the defensive position to its depth, it wasn't an operational concept about having recce companies marauding about in the enemy's rear.

quote:

You can't pre-program "take the path of least resistance" or "reinforce success, abandon failure". Again, the more WWI-like the topic, the better WEGO will do.

You can pre-program bypass, and like I said earlier, who did take the path of least resistance, certainly after 1942.

The Americans and British generally fought linear battles where everyone advanced along their axis of attack. the Russians were relatively inflexible once they had torn the hole in your front. The German method simply didn't emphasise this initiative after early 1942, and if there was still some initiative at the small unit level, you simulate that with greater proficiency within the game engine at an operational level.

You're asking for something which simply didn't happen all that often in practice. I can think of Peiper in the Ardennes and Wood at one point in Lorraine but American Infantry divisions didn't bypass resistance because that put you on the roads and terrain being used by the neighbouring division and led to friendly fire, traffic jams and target rich environments.

quote:

quote:

Not true, even at the individual soldier scale, much less TOAW's scales. Even individual soldiers had the latitude to adjust their paths to flank and coordinate against anything they encountered. No Post-WWI force functions as brainlessly as WEGO requires.

Really?

One of the reasons the Germans killed "Aufstragstaktik" (which I presume is what you are hinting at) was because it wasn't practical in the era of mass Armies to have divisional or Corp Commanders setting their own objectives based on how they saw the battlefield and it didn't really occur in the US Army anyway and practically never in the British Army of WWII.

At the very lowest level it had some validity in certain circumstances, but all of that occurs within the hex scale used during combat and is therefore better abstracted than given specific rules.

quote:

In fact, I have to ask: Just where is the wargaming in all of this? There doesn't seem to be much more to it than pointing your forces where you want them to go and watching them go.

The wargaming is in setting realistic plans that balance objectives with necessity. Yes, I want to get forward, but that uncleared town at the shoulder of my penetration is worrying and I see Tanks massing the other side of it. Therefore, I have to launch a preemptive assault or dig in infantry and AT assets to prevent the counter attack.

You can see attacks hit thin air as the enemy pull back and enemy troops irritatingly withdraw rather than be obligingly static whilst you flank them. However, it's very fluid, realistic and the fun is in the planning. Plan better than your opponent and you win. You also (IMHO) have to plan with very Military considerations in mind.

CA complicates the planning process by giving you numerous deployment states. You don't move and attack in the same state (or rather you can move forward in at attacking deployment but much slower than if you were in a column advancing) and these various states give you a trade off between time and action. I think it works very well.

I've seen sizeable penetrations made. Narrow penetrations made and units cut off as flanking troops advancing hit stiffer resistance. I've seen the bypass order used to get a Guards Battlegroup up Hells Highway past badly hit and blocking FJ and it really puts a premium on anticipation.

Currently in TOAW, you attack, I watch where it is coming and respond.

In CA I have to anticipate, because (as in real life) if your attack is unexpected, I am already a turn behind when I plan the counter. I think it makes breakthroughs much more likely if well planned than in TOAW where IGOUGO always allows reaction. In my experience, clean breakthroughs in TOAW often rely on the enemy having nothing in range to face you with rather than not having the time to stop you and block you as your forces roar on.

It's had a long and drawn out development history but I think it will land with a bang.

Regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 264
RE: Defending a river line - 10/22/2007 1:39:24 AM   
JAMiAM

Re: Combined Arms...

quote:

It's had a long and drawn out development history but I think it will land with a bang.

I sincerely wish Ludo, Erik, Iron Duke, and the entire CA development team the very best - as I would for any other Matrix branded product. I do believe that there will be a substantial early buy-in from the gaming community on the product. Especially from TOAW players. However, like I said before, I don't see it as a competitor to TOAW, but rather as a complimentary product. Indeed, how could it possibly be a competitor in the strict sense of the word, since virtually all who will end up buying CA will have already bought TOAW III?

That said, it would probably be best to bring discussions about CA over to the CA forums. That ghost town could use a fresh stagecoach every blue moon, so that idle speculation about the project dying on the vine is not given any chance to grow. As it is now, the fact that questions often get raised there, and then take two months to get a developer's attention does not play well in the public's mind, regardless of the reality behind the scenes. Just a friendly tip, from a co-developer who's taken the opportunity to stick his foot in his mouth on a few occasions, due to a conversely ubiquitous presence on his product's forum...

< Message edited by JAMiAM -- 10/22/2007 1:44:15 AM >

Post #: 265
RE: Defending a river line - 10/22/2007 2:44:15 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

And each motorized unit would have a movement allowance of 330 MPs.

That's about as silly as it can get. Do you really expect that the time scales wouldn't be adjusted? Do you really think that the entire map needs to be modeled?

Come on kid, if you're going to make an argument at least try to frame it in a reasonable setting.

Regards, RhinoBones

Post #: 266
RE: Defending a river line - 10/22/2007 3:48:54 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

And each motorized unit would have a movement allowance of 330 MPs.

That's about as silly as it can get. Do you really expect that the time scales wouldn't be adjusted? Do you really think that the entire map needs to be modeled?

Come on kid, if you're going to make an argument at least try to frame it in a reasonable setting.

Regards, RhinoBones

It was your proposal to use CA for CFNA.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 267
RE: Defending a river line - 10/22/2007 3:00:09 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Of course, you can always hand it over to the PO. But that's about as brainless - and is it really wargaming?

Sure it would. In fact I would find it a fascinating exercise. However I wouldn't want to surrender TOAW's approach in favour of this. Some combination of the two would be ideal.

quote:

Actually sounds like a lot of historical events I can think of.

Sure. But at these turn scales, this is the only possible outcome. The trapped forces could be under Rommel or Gamelin. It makes no difference.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 10/22/2007 3:04:47 PM >

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 268
RE: Defending a river line - 10/22/2007 3:05:43 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Besides when is TOAW IV due?

I would tell you- but I signed an NDA :P

Anyway, TOAW III is an extant system.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 269
RE: Defending a river line - 10/22/2007 6:41:30 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Besides, Combined Arms has a "Bypass" general order that allows you to tell your units to go around enemy units they encounter on their path. Also, there never was a way to co-ordinate manouevre when forces decided to step outside their Staff instructions.

Generally, units followed their AXIs of advance because going around generally meant you blundered into the axis of advance of the neighbouring unit which (depending on the level we are discussing) was either a Company, battalion, regiment or Division. This presented juicy arty interdiction targets and created traffic jams.

And that "Bypass" choice would have to be made in advance - before you can evaluate just what you're going to encounter or what sort of shape you're in. Really, the options you're giving players aren’t even as sophisticated as the abilities of the PO in TOAW. And we all know what a fine player the PO is.

You want us to believe that military commanders had no authority to do anything. Your motives are obvious. Commanders must be brainless, because that's how WEGO will model them.

WEGO forces are going to function more or less like they were commanded by General John Bell Hood: They’re going to proceed on to Nashville even though they were crushed at Franklin – because that’s what the plan was.

quote:

Infiltration tactics were a (largely German) taqctical method of screening infantry advance behind darkness or broken terrain in order to open the attack from a closer, more advantageous and surprising position. It doesn;t really have a place in the operational level unless you simulate it with a combat modifier. It was about getting a better position to attack from, and penetrating the defensive position to its depth, it wasn't an operational concept about having recce companies marauding about in the enemy's rear.

No. Its principles applied at the tactical, operational, and even strategic scales. Blitzkrieg was just infiltration with tanks. All of WWII was the application of infiltration principles. And, again, how do you direct your reserves to exploit success instead of reinforce failure?

quote:

You can pre-program bypass, ...

That's not the same as taking the path of least resistance. That requires mental faculties.

quote:

The Americans and British generally fought linear battles where everyone advanced along their axis of attack. the Russians were relatively inflexible once they had torn the hole in your front. The German method simply didn't emphasise this initiative after early 1942, and if there was still some initiative at the small unit level, you simulate that with greater proficiency within the game engine at an operational level.

You're asking for something which simply didn't happen all that often in practice. I can think of Peiper in the Ardennes and Wood at one point in Lorraine but American Infantry divisions didn't bypass resistance because that put you on the roads and terrain being used by the neighbouring division and led to friendly fire, traffic jams and target rich environments.

Linear tactics were basically abandoned by the end of WWI. That's why WWII battles were so fluid relative to WWI. But there are far more problems beyond infiltration. No coordination is possible against unexpected targets. That includes both ground forces and support. You can't do "hit and run" tactics. It all traces back to the brainless commander problem.

quote:

Really?

One of the reasons the Germans killed "Aufstragstaktik" (which I presume is what you are hinting at) was because it wasn't practical in the era of mass Armies to have divisional or Corp Commanders setting their own objectives based on how they saw the battlefield and it didn't really occur in the US Army anyway and practically never in the British Army of WWII.

What I was hinting at was that if a squad ran into a machinegun nest across their axis of advance, they weren't forced to launch a frontal assault on it. They had the latitude to maneuver against it, even coordinate with another squad or two. They could call for support, etc. The same was true at all scales.

quote:

The wargaming is in setting realistic plans that balance objectives with necessity. Yes, I want to get forward, but that uncleared town at the shoulder of my penetration is worrying and I see Tanks massing the other side of it. Therefore, I have to launch a preemptive assault or dig in infantry and AT assets to prevent the counter attack.

You can see attacks hit thin air as the enemy pull back and enemy troops irritatingly withdraw rather than be obligingly static whilst you flank them. However, it's very fluid, realistic and the fun is in the planning. Plan better than your opponent and you win. You also (IMHO) have to plan with very Military considerations in mind.

CA complicates the planning process by giving you numerous deployment states. You don't move and attack in the same state (or rather you can move forward in at attacking deployment but much slower than if you were in a column advancing) and these various states give you a trade off between time and action. I think it works very well.

I've seen sizeable penetrations made. Narrow penetrations made and units cut off as flanking troops advancing hit stiffer resistance. I've seen the bypass order used to get a Guards Battlegroup up Hells Highway past badly hit and blocking FJ and it really puts a premium on anticipation.

Currently in TOAW, you attack, I watch where it is coming and respond.

In CA I have to anticipate, because (as in real life) if your attack is unexpected, I am already a turn behind when I plan the counter. I think it makes breakthroughs much more likely if well planned than in TOAW where IGOUGO always allows reaction. In my experience, clean breakthroughs in TOAW often rely on the enemy having nothing in range to face you with rather than not having the time to stop you and block you as your forces roar on.

This all sounds roughly like programming the PO in TOAW scenario design, and then watching a PO vs. PO test. That’s not my idea of wargaming. And it produces ridiculous results like enemy forces ignoring each other as they move right by each other.

Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> RE: Defending a river line Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI