Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MS Vista

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> MS Vista Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MS Vista - 9/10/2007 10:05:56 PM   
templeton

Has anyone been using Forge of Freedom and Vista - if so, do you have full functionality?

I am unable to load my friends PBEM saves - my machine hangs and will not load. Short of going back to square 1 and putting XP back on the machine, I was curious whether or not anyone else has solved this problem?
Post #: 1
RE: MS Vista - 9/11/2007 12:25:29 AM   
DrewGator

Is your friend using the same version as you?

DrewGator
Union Army of Occupation
Florida

(in reply to templeton)
Post #: 2
RE: MS Vista - 9/11/2007 2:17:22 AM   
Gil R.

There have been multiple reports of FOF working just fine with Vista. Admittedly, no one has specifically said they were playing FOF PBEM on Vista. But DrewGator's right, and the problem might be one of incompatible save files.

For the record, we do not support Vista, though we're certainly glad to see that FOF appears to run well on it.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to DrewGator)
Post #: 3
RE: MS Vista - 9/12/2007 1:01:31 AM   
templeton

Yeah, I thought it might be too early for vista suppor at this time - we are both still running the same version of the game, but he is (wisely) still on XP.

That will teach me to be lured in by shiny new things!!! I expect I'll have to go back to XP as we both got the game specifically for PBEM.

Cheers.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
RE: MS Vista - 9/12/2007 1:52:27 AM   
jchastain

If it makes you feel any better, I made the same mistake. When building a new machine, it is just SO hard to pay the license for an already obsolete operating systems, so instead we end up buying the one that isn't ready.

I really wish MSFT would just go to the subscription model that we all know they want to use so that we could all just pay $5 per month and then use whatever product we like. Beyond saving us from these vicious upgrade cycles, maybe they would be better incented to make an O/S that just works instead of constantly inventing new reasons to cajole us all into buying the next O/S in the hopes that it will finally be the stable product that we've been wanting - which it won't be because they need us to then be ready for the NEXT O/S so we'll continue to feed their hungry shareholders.

Jaded? Perhaps. But with good reason.

(in reply to templeton)
Post #: 5
RE: MS Vista - 9/12/2007 4:49:25 AM   
Gil R.

Templeton, before you take the major step of changing your OS, you should see if Eric (= programmer) has some ideas on what else might be causing the problem. He does tend to wander by this sub-forum, not unlike God periodically wandering through Eden.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 6
RE: MS Vista - 9/12/2007 5:22:01 PM   
jchastain

LOL.  Gil, I suspect you are the only person in the history of Matrix to compare any support subforum to eden.  In most cases, the more appropriate comparison would be... different. 

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
RE: MS Vista - 9/12/2007 5:43:51 PM   
Erik Rutins

Templeton,

Please triple-check, to the point of uninstalling and reinstalling with the same installers, that both you and your friend are using the same EXACT version of FOF.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 8
RE: MS Vista - 9/12/2007 8:42:28 PM   
ericbabe

You haven't been able to load any PBEM files whatsoever?  What part of the load PBEM sequence do you get?  Did your friend set a password?

Are you using 64-bit Vista?

Which version are you using?  If I have test PBEM files for that version, would you mind if I sent them to you to have you test to see whether they load on your machine?

Sorry for all the questions!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: MS Vista - 9/13/2007 12:38:21 PM   
cesteman

eric is the best. Always willing to help out! Cheers.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 10
RE: MS Vista - 9/14/2007 12:34:24 AM   
templeton

Erik - Good suggestions! Many thanks.

Can't face another weekend of putting on an OS system and then dealing with the inevitable problesm... although to be fair, Vista was the most painless installation of an OS yet. The fact few of my games now work is besides the point!!!

Eric,

Many thanks for taking the time to have a look at this.

I am using the 32 bit version of Vista, and would be glad to try and load your PEBM files - I have the latest patched version of the game, and have doubled checked with my friend that he has the same version. I've got all the latest driver updates and what nots for Vista.

In terms of the loading cycle, the game loads up fine - but then when I got to open the PBEM option, I can navigate through the windows to see where the save files are, but when I select one to open, the game then hangs, and eventually comes up with 'not responding'.

I've enjoyed FoF to the point where I would be willing to put back XP to get a PBEM game... but I'll certainly try your files in the meantime, and tripple check by reinstalling the game a third time as Erik R has suggested.

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 11
RE: MS Vista - 9/14/2007 8:36:02 PM   
ericbabe

Templeton, I've created a pbem save file for you to test. Would you mind e-mailing me with your e-mail address (ericbabe@west-civ.com) where I can send it to you?

(in reply to templeton)
Post #: 12
RE: MS Vista - 9/15/2007 8:15:47 PM   
templeton

Eric,

Many thanks - have e-mailed you.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> MS Vista Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI