Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Commander-Slitherine

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Commander-Slitherine Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Commander-Slitherine - 9/12/2007 9:39:53 PM   
targul

The Matrix customers are treated like second class citizens when it comes to Slitherine Commander. They just released the Beta 1.03 verison of the game and it is not available to the Matrix customers.

I have bought many games from Matrix and have been happy with the service I have received from them but this division is making me wonder. They run there own forum. Ignore most items unless posted on there forums and simply are not up to Matrix quality.

There game is rated low in all areas by armchair General and with good reason but this not my complaint my complaint is the unwillingness to release all things so they are compatible for both Matrix buyers and Slitherine. We bought the same product paid the same amount we should be allowed the same patches at the same time as there buyers.

Jim

Cant we just get along.
Hell no I want to kill something!

1st Cav Div 66-69 5th Special Forces 70-73
Post #: 1
RE: Commander-Slitherine - 9/13/2007 12:12:05 AM   
Hertston

Slitherene are not a 'division' of Matrix, and had been around a long time before Matrix started publishing some of their games... never exclusively.

As you say, the patch is a beta, so I don't see your beef. All any beta needs is enough players to test it. Had it been the release patch you might have a point, and even then there might be a brief delay as Matrix have to test some aspects of their version too. You'll see exactly the same with, say, the Battlefront and Paradox or Gamersgate versions of CMSF. All you could do to ensure simultaneous release is hold it back from the Slitherene customers .. and what's the point of that?

(in reply to targul)
Post #: 2
RE: Commander-Slitherine - 9/13/2007 12:31:49 AM   
JudgeDredd

Targul

You have been a very active forum poster with regard to this game and the developers.

I don't begrudge you your views, I don't agree with some of them, but others are valid. But to post a "specific" beef about a game on another forum (especially the General forum) simply smacks of vendetta and trying to tarnish what could be considered by others with differing views to your own as a reputable company and a decent game.

Seriously, there are more things in life to be this angry and tenacious about. Perhaps it's time you moved on to another game. And that isn't a stab at you. I'm simply saying if this game and this developer are getting your back up so much, you may want to relieve the stress on yourself and move onto something else.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 3
RE: Commander-Slitherine - 9/13/2007 1:20:58 AM   
targul

Posted on the General Forum because it is related to Matrix not Commander forum.  When Matrix accepts products from another vendor they should require that all things available for that game should also be available to those who purchased it on Matrix and it is not.

I want no further dealings with Slitherine.  As I said they have the lowest rated game on those listed by Armchair General only rated high in playability.  But since I have bought the game I wish to maintain it and look at those items they claim to have fixed but I am not permitted because I purchased through Matrix not Slitherine.  Actually I would not have even bought it from whoever Slitherine is so I post to Matrix who I did buy it from.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/articles.php?page=1&p=3559

Jim

Cant we just get along.
Hell no I want to kill something!

1st Cav Div 66-69 5th Special Forces 70-73

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 4
RE: Commander-Slitherine - 9/13/2007 2:29:19 AM   
Hertston

Good grief. Put it in context, m8.

quote:

Since April 2006, five great PC game titles have been released covering the subject. Each of these games is recommended, and presents World War II with different mechanics and play styles.

(in reply to targul)
Post #: 5
RE: Commander-Slitherine - 9/13/2007 3:54:16 AM   
SMK-at-work

Yeah well that's one reviewer's opinion - I won't be buying anything on his sayso because of it.

I've got 1/2 those games (2 full, 1 demo) - IMO they're all pretty ordinary or worse.  1 of them could possibly be great (the one I have the demo for), 1 never will be, and the other one might make "good" if it wasn't for some weird basic design decisions that are never going to be changed.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 6
RE: Commander-Slitherine - 9/13/2007 6:51:45 AM   
cdbeck

To tell you the truth, those "low" marks on that chart don't mean what you think they mean. They are not 1 in a 1-5 "how good is it scale," they are how realistic is it "abstract-low" or "exactly like being in WWII high." How much do you have to worry about economy - "only one main resource number - low" or "you literally have to sign all of the government official's checks - high." Getting "low" isn't necessarily a criticism on that chart, it is to help compare the games. Some people can't stand HoI2 because it is literally like running a country and you get to chose between several esoteric and nearly-identical-to-the-layman types of vehicles and tanks when building your army. Some people can't stand Commander or Strategic Command because all you get is an abstract snub-nosed tiger looking tank for your armor choice. That chart said all were good, but all have different purposes.

Still, wrong forum. Wrong beef. I agree with Hertson and Dredd. If this was a release patch, you can be mad (this is like posting a grievance because you didn't get accepted into say, the Tabula Rasa closed beta test). And Dredd is right, eventually you should just scrap a game and move on. I've done it more times than I would have liked. Master of Orion III, Ground Control II, WoW: Burning Crusade, the list goes on, but it just makes me start to cry...

SoM

< Message edited by Son_of_Montfort -- 9/13/2007 6:53:17 AM >

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 7
RE: Commander-Slitherine - 9/13/2007 7:35:17 AM   
ravinhood

Gary's would have been great and the best if he hadn't use the 3 month per turn rule and made the game last longer with say bi-monthly turns. I like Making History though the best of the bunch. It has that open ended whatif feel to it that doesn't say everything must happen as it did. The HOI's hahah I've always said if you've played one HOI you've played them all.

Post #: 8
RE: Commander-Slitherine - 9/13/2007 7:49:21 AM   
SMK-at-work

MH is the one I have he demo of....it's got great potential IMO - I love the economics, but the whole military side is simplistic and generalised.......a bit more effort developing the military side and it could be superb (and to be honest I always figure land war is better fought on hexes....or even [cough]squares[/cough] than areas...areas good for naval and some aspects of airwar tho....), but as is just doesn't rock my boat.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 9
RE: Commander-Slitherine - 9/13/2007 10:48:28 AM   
JudgeDredd

Once again I find my self in increasingly similar ground to RH in that I agree with his note on GG WaW...3 monthly turns turned me right off the game. I tried it, but did not like those turns one bit.

Bi-monthly would've ben acceptable.

Alba gu' brath

Post #: 10
RE: Commander-Slitherine - 9/13/2007 10:59:48 AM   
JudgeDredd

Targul

I do understand you have frustrations with the game and I understand your reluctance to leave it based on "I bought it, I want it to work"...but if it's making you so mad, really you should play something you do like. Maybe it's the fact that the game has potential and you are hanging on for that to come through, I don't know, but I certainly wouldn't let any game that made me that mad take up my gaming time.

It is a beta patch. I say let them play it. Give it to me when it's done. I'm enjoying the game as is and I know that doesn't help you out, but it'll be released when it's ready.

I'm not trying to jump all over your back, 'cos I kind of understand, but it does come across as being on some sort of vendetta

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 11
RE: Commander-Slitherine - 9/13/2007 11:39:41 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: targul
There game is rated low in all areas by armchair General and with good reason but this not my complaint...

I understand if you are not happy with all the aspects of the game. However, put your rant into perspective please, you sound like a politician trying to make a point.

ACG Magazine also reviewed this game with a stunning 92%. So, yeah, it is indeed low rated by them ...

quote:

my complaint is the unwillingness to release all things so they are compatible for both Matrix buyers and Slitherine. We bought the same product paid the same amount we should be allowed the same patches at the same time as there buyers.

Slitherine released a beta patch, they can test this beta patch with any group they want, open, closed or partly open. There is no pretense on beeing part of that. Slitherine also made it very clear, that the final patch release will be available to all customers, wherever they bought their version.

I would also like to ask you to stop your mini crusade against a game you personally do not like. Any objective feedback is very welcome of course.

(in reply to targul)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Commander-Slitherine Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote