Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 1975 Oakland A's: What Should Have Been

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> RE: 1975 Oakland A's: What Should Have Been Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 1975 Oakland A's: What Should Have Been - 1/17/2008 5:06:44 PM   
motnahp

Fred Norman & Vida Blue in Game 3. 53 degrees with a 12 MPH wind blowing out to LF.

Both teams brought out the heavy lumber today, but it was the Oakland A's coming out on top, with a 9-6 triumph in Game 3 of the World Series.

Oakland broke out on top in the last of the 3rd. Bert Campaneris singled, stole second, then scored on a Claudell Washington single. Oakland added two more in the 4th on RBI singles from Bill North and Campaneris to make the score 3-0.

Cincy cracked the scoreboard in the top of the 5th on a Cesar Geronino RBI double, then tied the score in their half of the 6th on a Tony Perez solo homer and a Joe Morgan RBI single.

The Reds appeared to take control in the 7th on a George Foster RBI groundout, followed in the 8th with a Dan Driessen RBI single. The Reds led 5-3 going into the last of the 8th inning. Cincinnati's AI, manager, however, left himself open for much criticism. He allowed a tiring Fred Norman to take the mound in the 8th, while at the same time replacing Morgan and Concepcion in the field with Doug Flynn and Darrel Chaney, respectively.

Oakland cut the lead to 5-4 on a Gene Tenace RBI double with two outs. With speedster Matt Alexander stretching in the dugout, A's manager motnahp rolled the dice and left the slow-footed Tenace on second base, representing the tying run. Norman walked Bando, as Alexander continued to stretch and the Cincy AI manager dozed off. Phil Garner looped a single into right field and Tenace held at third, loading the bases. Alexander checked his shoelaces, Cincy's manager continued to doze, and Bill North delivered an RBI single to score Tenace and the game was tied 5-5. As Cincinnati coaches tried to wake up their AI manager, Norman pitched to Bert Campaneris. Campy delivered a 2-run single to give the A's a 7-5 lead. A groggy Cincy AI manager made his way to the mound, finally, and brought in Clay Kirby. Claudell Washington dribbed an infield single between 1st and 2nd to load the bases again. Tommy Harper then singled to right, scoring two more runs and giving the A's a 9-5 advantage.

Rollie Fingers allowed a run in the 9th on a Doug Flynn RBI single, but the air was out of the tires on the Big Red Machine. Paul Lindblad picked up the win in relief for the A's.

WED OCT 22 (WS GAME 3)

CIN_____6___12___0
OAK_____9___13___1

Oakland leads series 2-1

< Message edited by motnahp -- 1/17/2008 5:43:03 PM >

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 211
RE: 1975 Oakland A's: What Should Have Been - 1/17/2008 5:45:50 PM   
motnahp

Nolan and Hunter in Game 4. 59 degrees with swirling 13 MPH winds.

In a rematch from Game One, Gary Nolan was the dominant pitcher this time out, shutting out the A's with a sparkling 3-hitter. The Reds evened the series at two games apiece with a 3-0 win.

Dave Concepcion got the Reds on the board in the top of the 4th with a two-run single. The other Reds' run scored in the 6th on a Joe Morgan DP groundout.

Catfish Hunter was not his usual sharp self, allowing 10 hits and walking 5 in 7 2/3 innings. Hunter struck out 8 Reds, a high total for this control pitcher, who normally relies on his defense.

THURS OCT 23 (WS GAME 4)

CIN_____3___12___0
OAK_____0___3___1

Series tied 2-2

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 212
RE: 1975 Oakland A's: What Should Have Been - 1/17/2008 6:02:58 PM   
motnahp

Gullett & Holtzman in Game 5. 70 degrees with a 10 MPH wind blowing out to CF.

The Cincinnati Reds are one win away from the championship, following a 4-3 win over the A's in Oakland.

Don Gullett went the distance, scattering 10 hits. He struck out 9 and walked 3.

Oakland jumped out 2-0 in the bottom of the 1st on a Reggie Jackson RBI single and a Gene Tenace sacrifice fly. The lead was short-lived, however, as Ken Griffey knocked a bases-clearing double in the 2nd to give the Reds a 3-2 lead. The A's tied the score in the 6th on a Claudell Washington sacrifice fly.

Pete Rose was the hero for the Reds. Rose's two-out RBI single in the top of the 8th was the eventual game-winner.

The Reds now travel back home and try to wrap up the series.

FRI OCT 24 (WS GAME 5)

CIN_____4___8___0
OAK_____3__10___0

Cincinnati leads series 3-2

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 213
RE: 1975 Oakland A's: What Should Have Been - 1/17/2008 8:35:48 PM   
motnahp

Blue & Norman in Game 6. 46 degrees with wind out to CF at 9 MPH.

We will have a seventh game, as the A's defeated the Reds 5-2.

Ken Griffey provided early excitement for the Redlegs with a 2-run homer in the bottom of the 1st off Vida Blue. The A's young lefty would give up nothing further, starring on the mound and at the plate. Blue contributed RBI singles in both the 4th and 6th innings and the game was tied at 2-2. The A's took the lead in the 6th on Claudell Washington's sacrifice fly. Oakland put the game away in the top of the 9th, as Reggie Jackson belted a 2-run homer. Rollie Fingers allowed two hits, but kept the Reds off the board in the 9th. Blue went 8 innings, allowing 4 hits, while walkeing 3 and striking out 6.

SUN OCT 26 (WS GAME 6)

OAK_____5___9___2
CIN_____2___6___0

Series tied 3-3

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 214
RE: 1975 Oakland A's: What Should Have Been - 1/17/2008 9:05:59 PM   
motnahp

Hunter & Nolan in the decisive Game 7. 69 degrees and swirling 9 MPH winds.

The Oakland A's have captured their 4th straight championship with a dramatic 4-3 victory in Game 7. Sal Bando singled in Joe Rudi with 2 outs in the top of the 10th with the game-winner.

Game 7 started out much like Game 6. It was again the Ken Griffey show for the Reds. The young right fielder smacked a 2-run double in the bottom of the 3rd and then added an RBI single in the last of the 5th to give the Reds a 3-0 lead. Cincinnati was cruising behind Gary Nolan through 6 innings before the A's bats came to life.

In the 7th, Claudell Washington atoned for an earlier costly error with an RBI double. Phil Garner followed with an RBI single and the lead was cut to 3-2. Things looked grim until the 9th, when Billy North took Nolan's first pitch over the right field wall to tie the score at 3-3.

In the top of the 10th, Reds' reliever Clay Kirby retired the first two Oakland batters before Joe Rudi doubled. Manager motnahp again eschewed the pinch runner and left speedster Matt Alexander on the bench. Gene Tenace singled, but Rudi was held at 3rd. Sal Bando followed with a single up the middle to score Rudi and put the A's on top, 4-3. North struck out to end the inning.

With two left-handed batters due up in the 10th and having already used lefty Lindblad from the bullpen, motnahp called on Kenny Holtzman. The crafty lefty was 24-9 on the season, but made only one relief appearance. Griffey grounded out to start the inning. Morgan struck out. Up stepped George Foster. A "worn out" Rollie Fingers was warming in the bullpen, but motnahp stuck with Holtzman. Kenny proceeded to allow singles to Foster and Bench. He recovered, however, and struck out Tony Perez on three pitches to end the series.

The Oakland bullpen came through in the clutch. After Catfish Hunter had allowed 3 runs in 6 innings, the A's got two scoreless innings from Lindblad, and one scoreless inning each from Dick Bosman and Holtzman. Bosman was credited with the win.

MON OCT 27 (WS GAME 7)

OAK_____4___13___1
CIN_____3____9___1

Oakland wins series 4-3

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 215
RE: 1975 Oakland A's: What Should Have Been - 1/17/2008 9:44:42 PM   
motnahp

I'm not sure how many folks read these. I know I occasionally peek into other players' lockers to see what they're up to.

I'm open for suggestions on where to go next. I'm partial to Oakland and Atlanta, so I'll probably do another season involving one of those teams. Some potential choices:

(1) Continue with the A's and play 1976. They traded away Reggie and Holtzman, so it would be tough. I would keep Catfish, though.

(2) Try something from the other extreme. How about the 1979 A's, known as the "triple A's", since most all of the stars were gone via free agency. They went 54-108 that year.

(3) The 1980 or 1981 A's with Billy Martin's iron man starting pitchers Langford, Norris, McCatty, and Keough.

(4) The 1988 A's and the Bash Brothers, seeking redemption against those lucky Dodgers and Kirk Gibson (I suspect LA won't even make that series in PS).

(5) The 1990 A's, who were swept in the series by the Reds, mainly due to one pitcher (Jose Rijo) and one every day player (Billy Hatcher) playing way over their heads.

(6) Any of the more recent A's teams with the Big Three (Hudson, Zito & Mulder) on the mound.

(7) Any of the 1991-1993, or 1996-2005 Atlanta teams, who all looked so good during the regular season, but fell flat in postseason.

Any preferences out there? I'm leaning toward the "triple A's", just for a dose of humility after beating the Reds in 1975.

< Message edited by motnahp -- 1/17/2008 9:48:43 PM >

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 216
RE: 1975 Oakland A's: What Should Have Been - 1/17/2008 10:49:29 PM   
DonBraswell

motnahp,
I read every post here at the locker. I quit following baseball when my Yankees traded Bobby Murcer to the Giants for Bobby Bonds. For me it was like trading off Mantle, really torqued my jaws. I did try to keep track of Don Mattingly. Any way the 70's/to present day aren't my thing. However you write it and I'll read it, which ever season you decide to do. I do appreciate your efforts.
Don

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 217
RE: 1975 Oakland A's: What Should Have Been - 1/18/2008 2:52:33 AM   
motnahp

Don:

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I lost some of my love for the game when free agency changed everything. (Cue the tears) Finley and Oakland had shrewdly drafted, developed, and traded their way to a dynasty. Think of how difficult it is now for anyone, in any sport, to win three straight titles.

I was born in '61, so my first real memories of baseball are from the 1969 season, when I was living in California. I became an A's fan primarily because they were on local TV once in a while. I also saw my first game in Oakland, a 16-4 drubbing at the hands of the Twins. My dad would take the family a couple times a year for a Sunday doubleheader. As bad luck would have it, we moved to Texas a year before the A's went to their first world series.

It has been painful to see the Oakland franchise built up and torn down repeatedly from 1976 to present. They always seem to become competitive in a short amount of time, so they must still be excelling in their scouting. FYI, I followed the Yankees during their Reggie years. Jackson was always my favorite player. I remember him stealing home during the 1972 playoffs against Detroit, scoring the eventual winning run, but injuring himself in the process and missing the 1972 World Series.

(in reply to DonBraswell)
Post #: 218
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> RE: 1975 Oakland A's: What Should Have Been Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI