Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I'd love to become a play tester for EiA

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> I'd love to become a play tester for EiA Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I'd love to become a play tester for EiA - 9/14/2007 1:55:32 PM   
alistair ramsden

Greetings,

I have played EiA for many years (amongst other games), as have several of my friends. I really enjoy it, and consider it a top board game (along with Civilisation, Cosmic Encounters, Dune, etc). I would love for an online solitaire/multiplayer online edition to be published.

How does one become a play tester?

I note I have a degree in liberal arts, including analytical logic, software programming, and game theory.

Cheers

Alistair Ramsden
Wellington, NZ
Post #: 1
RE: I'd love to become a play tester for EiA - 9/15/2007 12:42:30 AM   
Murat

On any other game I would say you are barking up the wrong tree since it has been in development for so long but this one seems to be cursed.

(in reply to alistair ramsden)
Post #: 2
RE: I'd love to become a play tester for EiA - 9/16/2007 5:03:22 PM   
denshiblocks

i offered to playtest in 2004 - no response.  at the time i didn't realize the game had already been in production for three years and was built on the engine of an entirely different game.  at this point i just hope the EiA name gets picked up by someone with more respect and resources, and this game goes back to being NW or whatever it was before.  

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 3
RE: I'd love to become a play tester for EiA - 9/16/2007 5:51:40 PM   
oldtimer

I helped develop & test the Optional Naval Rules for Transporting Corp as well as the Advance Combat Chart that can be found on this website (Not mine) http://home.earthlink.net/~toadkillerdog/eia/

Optional Naval Rules http://home.earthlink.net/~toadkillerdog/eia/optional_naval_rules.html

Advanced Combat Rules http://home.earthlink.net/~toadkillerdog/eia/combat.html

I played this game face to face for several years and played in and ran several PBEM games as well.

I want to give special thanks to the Field Marshall for keeping these items posted. Although the mail links for my name are no longer correct.

Point is I wasn't asked to play test either and I thank it has to do with my asking to late. If they they want new play testers though I am willing to throw my name in that hat. I have read this forum almost everyday since before I joined. I just don't say much except when I feel an important point is being discussed.

Post #: 4
RE: I'd love to become a play tester for EiA - 9/19/2007 1:34:38 AM   
Toadkillerdog

Hey, oldtimer, long time no see. You're welcome.

(in reply to oldtimer)
Post #: 5
RE: I'd love to become a play tester for EiA - 9/19/2007 5:24:07 PM   
*Lava*

Well..

At this point... you need someone like me.

I have never played this game and and am not a board gamer.

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to Toadkillerdog)
Post #: 6
RE: I'd love to become a play tester for EiA - 9/20/2007 5:03:27 AM   
oldtimer

Toadkillerdog I lost your email address in a computer crash. Shoot me one so I can catch up on what's been happening. I assume you have my Military email address still.

< Message edited by oldtimer -- 9/20/2007 5:04:50 AM >

(in reply to Toadkillerdog)
Post #: 7
RE: I'd love to become a play tester for EiA - 9/20/2007 1:39:23 PM   
gazfun

quote:

ORIGINAL: alistair ramsden

Greetings,

I have played EiA for many years (amongst other games), as have several of my friends. I really enjoy it, and consider it a top board game (along with Civilisation, Cosmic Encounters, Dune, etc). I would love for an online solitaire/multiplayer online edition to be published.

How does one become a play tester?

I note I have a degree in liberal arts, including analytical logic, software programming, and game theory.

Cheers

Alistair Ramsden
Wellington, NZ

Its very testing being a tester

Post #: 8
RE: I'd love to become a play tester for EiA - 9/21/2007 5:31:43 AM   
timewalker03

We are all playtesters for Matrix. We have had our patience tested in their ongoing release of this title. Matrix has proven that if people want a game bad enough they can take their time and develop a game over years with part time help and people will still want it.

(in reply to gazfun)
Post #: 9
RE: I'd love to become a play tester for EiA - 9/22/2007 1:49:24 AM   
denshiblocks

quote:

ORIGINAL: timewalker03
Matrix has proven that if people want a game bad enough they can take their time and develop a game over years with part time help and people will still want it.

im only hooked on the name Empire in Arms, i thought this game was going to be representational of that original boradgame, but i really doubt it now. this is not Empires in Arms, regardless of what the box might say

(in reply to timewalker03)
Post #: 10
RE: I'd love to become a play tester for EiA - 9/22/2007 12:54:06 PM   
YohanTM2

Not sure why you say that. There is supposed to be a classic option but we will have to see.

One of the reasons the game has been delayed was to implement a lot of the EiA and in fairness EiH rules.

No wargame survives the transition to computer unscaithed. The question remains for the moment, how much fun will it be to play.

quote:

ORIGINAL: denshiblocks

quote:

ORIGINAL: timewalker03
Matrix has proven that if people want a game bad enough they can take their time and develop a game over years with part time help and people will still want it.

im only hooked on the name Empire in Arms, i thought this game was going to be representational of that original boradgame, but i really doubt it now. this is not Empires in Arms, regardless of what the box might say

(in reply to denshiblocks)
Post #: 11
RE: I'd love to become a play tester for EiA - 9/22/2007 7:23:56 PM   
Tanan Fujiwara

Sadly enough, I have to agree with denshiblocks... I'm a big fan of EiA and have played the game for decades and I don't think that Matrix has got it right with this game... Even if it has a classical option, many other things have been changed or added making the game experience different... and although Yohan says that "no wargame survives the transition to computer unscaithed", I don't agree with this philosophy (and I don't think it's entirely true ether, check AH's 3rd Reich or Advanced Civilization for example...). 

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but praises for Marshall and his team. God nows that he took a long dead project from the Australian Design Groop more than five years ago and has given it his best... but somewhere along the road I believe Matrix has lost the perspective to this game and alas it won't be Empires in Arms anymore. So I strongly recommend any boardgamer who once had expected to be able to play this marvaleous game solo to forget about it, and to take on to multyplayer through Cyberboard...

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 12
RE: I'd love to become a play tester for EiA - 9/22/2007 10:13:18 PM   
yammahoper

I will get the game, play it, and then see just how true it stays to the board game. The new naval stuff doesn't seem that big a deal. Heck, most of the action is on the continent anyway. Most games, everyone just sort of acquiesed the water to GB anyway because ther is so many more important things to spend money and man power on, for those nations facing Fr and the Fr player trying to stave off the overwhelming power of a coalition.

EiA is such a good game, it can stand a few rule changes and keep its full flavor and complexity. Now, it IS possible to many changes could alter/ruin the game, but I wanna try it before I get all negative about it.

yamma

...nothing is more chaotic than a battle won...

(in reply to Tanan Fujiwara)
Post #: 13
RE: I'd love to become a play tester for EiA - 9/24/2007 4:15:14 AM   
YohanTM2

Moi aussi

quote:

ORIGINAL: yammahoper@yahoo.com

I will get the game, play it, and then see just how true it stays to the board game. The new naval stuff doesn't seem that big a deal. Heck, most of the action is on the continent anyway. Most games, everyone just sort of acquiesed the water to GB anyway because ther is so many more important things to spend money and man power on, for those nations facing Fr and the Fr player trying to stave off the overwhelming power of a coalition.

EiA is such a good game, it can stand a few rule changes and keep its full flavor and complexity. Now, it IS possible to many changes could alter/ruin the game, but I wanna try it before I get all negative about it.

yamma

(in reply to yammahoper)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> I'd love to become a play tester for EiA Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI