Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Civilian Casualties

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Civilian Casualties Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Civilian Casualties - 9/23/2007 5:37:06 PM   
BurntFingers

Has anyone ever managed to model civilian casualties (collateral damage) with Harpoon before?

Want to know if I'm walking on holy ground here, ie somebody else has already done it.

I don't work here. I just collect the glasses to get a beer quicker.
Post #: 1
RE: Civilian Casualties - 9/23/2007 10:39:10 PM   
Bucks

Unless killing off a Boston Whaler with an AGM-84 is counted , it's ok by me ;-)

Cheers

Darren

(in reply to BurntFingers)
Post #: 2
RE: Civilian Casualties - 9/24/2007 2:15:30 AM   
analog

quote:

Has anyone ever managed to model civilian casualties (collateral damage) with Harpoon before?

Huh?

why?

Other than wasteing resources on civilian shipping, you could sink a warship with tigers on board, that would give you some dependants and family killed. That would also piss off a lot of armed people...

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 3
RE: Civilian Casualties - 9/24/2007 9:14:47 AM   
roeddog

Hey! I was a tiger on the Kearsarge for 4 days and three nights, you'd definately piss me off if you ruined my once in a lifetime opportunity :)

quote:

ORIGINAL: analog

quote:

Huh?

why?

Other than wasteing resources on civilian shipping, you could sink a warship with tigers on board, that would give you some dependants and family killed. That would also piss off a lot of armed people...

(in reply to analog)
Post #: 4
RE: Civilian Casualties - 9/24/2007 7:50:46 PM   
BurntFingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: analog

Huh?

why?

So that when one side gets nuked by a superpower, you get to appreciate just how much you screwed up.

Plus, also handy to see just what happens when Mr Mk77 comes out to play.

Anyway, it won't be a neat little bodycount effect. More like "targets 3KM X 10|0 suffered 1% damage. Targets 3KM X 10|1 suffered 2% damage. Targets 3KM X 10|2 suffered 1% damage. Targets 3KM X 10|3 suffered 2% damage. targets 3KM X 10|4 suffered 1% damage. Targets 3KM X 10|5 suffered 2% damage. Targets targets 3KM X 10|0 suffered 1% damage. Targets 3KM X 10|6 suffered 92% damage " and so on.

The player still has to total up the megadeaths.

< Message edited by BurntFingers -- 9/24/2007 8:21:13 PM >

(in reply to analog)
Post #: 5
RE: Civilian Casualties - 9/24/2007 9:31:54 PM   
FransKoenz

That's a more realistic approach...
[instead of the emotional considerations]

after all, you cannot bake an egg without breaking the egg........

You must, however, always count with the situation wherever the conflict is, and the sides involved. with other words....... The USA comes and shoots to kill, or the [more] constructive way of acting by other allies. .
I realise that this is a bit political sauced statement. But for the game......????????

civilian casualties????? Do you know how many victims there are every day by car accidents? Or violent shoot outs .

Speed up those tanks through those nice villages. It is WAR!!!!!!

Too bad that there are no ground units to manouvre within H3/ ANW envirronment

< Message edited by Taitennek -- 9/24/2007 9:36:17 PM >

(in reply to BurntFingers)
Post #: 6
RE: Civilian Casualties - 9/25/2007 7:39:14 PM   
BurntFingers

Well, first the theory;-

You have to space a civilian POP MARKR facility within 1 mile of every other POP MARKR facility - but only in urban areas.

You match up the POP MARKR facilities with a given population density (easily available for most countries).

You don't bother putting markers up in the Sahara, or mountain ranges. Instead you model invidiual villages with a village or Town POP MARKR.

Only if the urban area has an area greater than the 1nm (square) do you need to use more than one POP MARKR.

Spacing the markers is a case of triangles - you put them on the points of equilateral triangles to split up the urban area being modelled.

So long as each POP MARKR is within 1 nm of every other potential target, then the modelling should work fine. Suggest a fairly large damage point for each marker - the more population it represents, the less the damage points (so if ordanance goes astray over a city, you are bound to hit someone).

You have to be careful how you put the markers down.Depends on the map projection and how far North your scenario is, for one thing. Good job not much population at the poles.

Am I right in thinking that, if I model the Markers as Installations, then they are NOT subject to detection (auto detected?).

The idea is, it's YOUR population that's modelled as well. Escalate things too far and the nukes fly - you lose, they lose, everybody loses.

Similarly, they could be used in Victory Conditions - too many civilian casualties and you lose the media war. Game over.

EDIT: Couple useful sites. Data CANNOT BE USED IN HARPOON PRO, ONLY IN ANW (or University of Columbia gets to sue AGSI).

http://sedac.ciesin.org/gpw/global.jsp

http://www.tageo.com/index.htm

< Message edited by BurntFingers -- 9/26/2007 3:08:36 PM >

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Civilian Casualties Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI