Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/25/2007 8:26:28 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

I always loved the Victory at Sea "slant" on things:

Talking about US subs sinking cargo ships: "Here is the gallant submarine commander striking at the heart of the Emperial Japanese supply lifeline. Preventing needed resources from supplying the evil war machine."

Talking about U-Boat subs sinking cargo ships: "Here is the cowardly U-Bout commander attacking innocent merchants while hiding beneath the protection of the ocean."

It's been awhile since I watched V@S, so I'm sure the wording isn't right, but the essence was alway the same...what we did was heroic....but if the enemy did the same thing, he was being cowardly or dishonorable.

OF COURSE HE WAS! HE was doing it to US! We're the good guys! It says so in the script!

(in reply to Charbroiled)
Post #: 31
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/25/2007 8:47:10 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

I think the major bone of contention is that all enemy aliens were interned. In the case of the Japanese , many interned were actuall US citizens. But the executive order said any body who was seen as a danger could be relocated from a vital defense area (like near the coasts or a war production area). A Japanese American living next to Mare Island would probably be picked up. One living in Kansas wouldn't. I don't know if it was right or wrong (perhaps we will never know) but scared people do extreme things. And on December 8 , 1941 the people of the United States were very , very scared and very, very , very angry. The armed forces of Japan were 3,000 + miles away (but closing) , but your Japanese American neighbor is right in front of you. An angry , irrational man is going to kick his neighbor. On December 8 , 1941 I think that US was a little irrational. It doesn't make it right , just understandable.
quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

I read a few years ago a piece by Tammy Bruce (Tammy Bruce: The death of right and wrong) I can't get to my copy until the weekend, so I can't quote exactly, but the general gist is as follows:
She was taking a class in some west coast university and the issue of internment of Japanese Maericans came up; She mentioned that Italian Americans and German Americans were interned too. She was almost pilloried until the professor reluctantly stepped in and asked if she had any proof. The next class she provided the appropriate references.
Again, I can't provide the actual reference until the weekend, but it appears that at least some German americans and Japanese Americans were interned too.

i've done a bit of research into this (having family members that COULD have been affected) - AFAIK - the Germans and Italians that were interned were not citizens, but foreign nationals... and not all those were rounded up... it depended on if the authorities felt that they represented a danger...

For instance - an older Italian woman with 3 sons in the US Army or Navy would probably not get rounded up, while a single Italian businessman living in the US would. And yes, there were several thousand persons of foreign nationality interned.

But the Japanese that were interned WERE citizens - many (most?) of them born in the US, and were never citizens of Japan. Had the same criteria for Japanese had been applied for Italians (for instance), my Grandma, Father, and aunts and uncles would have been interned.

They DID seize my grandmothers radio (that was capable of shortwave reception.)

EDIT - there is a Wiki article about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_American_internment

"Thus, at the outbreak of WW2, for example, an Italian businessman temporarily living in the US, Italian diplomats, Italian students studying in the US, Italians working at the World's Fair in New York—all of these people became, by definition, "enemy aliens" the instant that Italy declared war on the US. In some cases, such temporary residents are expelled—in the case of diplomats—or given a chance to leave the country when war is declared. Some are interned, as were the Italian merchant seamen caught in US ports when their ships were impounded (discussed below) in 1939 when war broke out in Europe. The members of the "Italian community" in the United States presented an unusual problem. Defined in terms of national origin, it was the largest community in the US, having supplied a steady flow of immigrants from Italy between the 1880s and 1930. By 1940 there were, thus, millions of US-born "Italian Americans" in the United States—native-born American citizens. However, there were also a great many Italian "enemy aliens"—more than 600,000, according to most sources. These were not Italian students, diplomats, or businessmen, but rather 600,000 Italians who had immigrated during the previous decades and had never become naturalized citizens of the United States.

The laws regarding "enemy aliens" did not make a distinction among, say, pro-Fascist Italian businessmen living for a short time in the US and trapped there when war broke out, anti-Fascist refugees from Italy who might have arrived a few years earlier intending to become US citizens (but who had not completed the process of naturalization), and those who had emigrated from Italy at the turn of the century and raised entire families of US native-born "Italian Americans" but who, themselves, had never been naturalized. They were all simply "enemy aliens"."

"The majority (approx. 60%) of the Japanese community interned were, in fact, native-born US citizens [10][11] and were not arrested under the Enemy Alien Act, but were simply "persons" removed under the War Relocation Authority.

Generally speaking, that was not the case with members of the Italian community. Although there were anomalous cases of US native-born Italian Americans being caught in the round-up, the others had been born in Italy and were still Italian citizens, even if many of them had resided in the US for decades.

Di Stasi [12] cites a number of such cases of mistreatment and internment of "Italian Americans," although he apparently defines "Italian American" as anyone within the Italian community, native-born US citizens or Italian-born non-US citizens."

"Hundreds of Italians were arrested in the months immediately after Pearl Harbor. By June of 1942, the total reached 1,521 Italian aliens arrested by the FBI. [21] About 250 individuals were interned for up to two years in military camps in Montana, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Texas.

Italy's surrender on September 8, 1943 brought about the release of most of the Italian American internees by year's end. Some had been paroled months after "exoneration" by a second hearing board appealed for by their families. Nonetheless, most of the men had spent two years as prisoners, moving from camp to camp every three to four months. [22]"

This doesn't touch on the Germans and other nationalities that declared war on the US, but i think things were somewhat similar.

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 9/25/2007 9:02:09 PM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 32
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/25/2007 8:59:59 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: pbear

It is indeed amazing what paranoia can do to a people's sense of right and wrong.

That is because history books are written by the victors of the wars.
Then, their children will try to dissect the history, and then
THEIR children will re-write the history
(I.E. The Japanese were FORCED to bomb China and Pearl Harbor, the Germans were INVITED to absorb Czechoslovakia,the Battle of Britain never happened, etc.)

(in reply to panda124c)
Post #: 33
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/25/2007 9:16:16 PM   
TommyG

I didn't jump right back into the discussion because I couldn't remember what was inaccurate other than the oft heard claim that MacA ignored the warnings from PH and left his planes on the ground. I thought that the PI air force was caught on the grond refueling and it was just dumb luck, not incompetence. As to the politically correct; I was turned off by the testimonials that it was not patriatism, but rather boredom that got men to enlist. That may have been the case for that witness, but as a sweeping gererality I don't think it is accurate. The people I've talked to who enlisted (My dad enlisted in the Marines on 8Dec and stayed in for 30 years) did it for a complex combination of reasons, with outrage and patriotism very near the top of the list. As to racism, I did not have much of a problem with the segments on internment. I live Southern California, one of the areas effected the most, I know many people who lost everything. My family were Italians, and were never even looked at cross eyed. No, what pissed me off was the tone suggesting that rightous indignation was not a prevalent attitude. It suugested to me a typical revisionist anti-war viewpoint.

I also agree that almost everyone on this forum knows way too much for this series to be worthwhile.

(in reply to Andvari)
Post #: 34
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/25/2007 9:23:13 PM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: TommyG

I also agree that almost everyone on this forum knows way too much for this series to be worthwhile.

I disagree. If it were an instructional effort on the history of the actual war, then yes you are probably correct. However the show is primarily anecdotal which I personally find interesting. I missed the first show dealing with the aftermath of Pearl Harbor, but if I had seen what you describe then I would have changed the channel without a backward glance.

< Message edited by AU Tiger -- 9/25/2007 9:28:36 PM >

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to TommyG)
Post #: 35
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/25/2007 11:40:36 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

Only in the strictly military sense. The portions dealing with "home front mobilization" and worker migration and war-industry living conditions and such is something I imagine our parents and grandparents know much more about than we do.

(in reply to TommyG)
Post #: 36
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/26/2007 12:23:38 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Ive watched the program and its ok but not that great.  I probley will not follow thru watching it tonight.  Boring.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to panda124c)
Post #: 37
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/26/2007 12:53:57 AM   
AW1Steve

If I can make a suggestion for your viewing enjoyment. Watch "the war" with a WW2 vet. It makes all the difference. I don't really think Burns was as concerned about the history as he was paying tribute. Think of this as his WW2 memorial.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 38
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/26/2007 12:56:15 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: pbear

It is indeed amazing what paranoia can do to a people's sense of right and wrong.

When people are scared, they will do all sorts of things that they would never think of doing at other times. Groups of people in fear will often do anything to feel safe again. Often some people will take advantage of that fear to push their own agenda. History is full of examples.

I do not know who were the loudest voices in favor of internment, but I would not be surprised if it was not someone who could gain financially from moving the Japanese out. There were people who stole property from the interned. Somebody also made money renting out the houses left behind by the Japanese. My ex brother-in-law, who was 28 years older than I lived in a house owned by a Japanese fmily during the war. His father was working at Lockheed. He was only 7 when the war ended, so he doesn't know who his parents were paying the rent to, but with a housing shortage during the war near production centers, somebody was making a handy profit.

Money is not always the driving incentive. Prejudice or agendas of control can also play a role.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to panda124c)
Post #: 39
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/26/2007 2:47:27 AM   
Joe D.

quote:

Did anyone watch this highly touted thing? I got bored after 10 minutes and turned back to football. It seemed slow, politically correct, and not terribly accurate. But, I didn't give it much of a chance. What say you all?

Yes I did, and the first episode was basically how you described it, not to mention that it was presented in a somewhat confusing manner; it seemed as if Burns would present the whole war in one installment.

But I hung in there and the second installment was much better, although many of the battles were presented in such a superficial manner as to be disappointing.

But this film was supposed to be about eye witness accounts -- as we're losing about 1,000 WW II vets per day -- and most of those interviews worked for me, although I'm almost sure I've heard them all before on the History Channel.

Re PC: I believe Newsweek reported that Burns was compelled to add more minority vets when some groups (perhaps rightfully) complained they were under represented.

Didn't Burn's say that German and Italian foreign nationals were also interned?

Michelle Malkin did a piece on the pro-Japanese Black Dragon Society, which was supposedly operating in the US on the West Coast, though I'm not sure this justifies Japanese-American internment en masse.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to TommyG)
Post #: 40
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/26/2007 4:34:57 AM   
RUPD3658

Episode 1 called Midway the Northernmost Hawiian island. Never heard this before. Is it correct? Seems a bit far away.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 41
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/26/2007 6:04:06 AM   
spence

All of the Hawaiian Islands were created by a single "hotspot" in the earth's mantle. The tectonic plate (forget name) slides over this hotspot and the hotspot makes volcanos which sometimes turn into islands. The active volcanos in the Hawaiian chain are now on the big island. Midway is an atoll which is all that remains of an eroded extinct volcano covered with coral. It is older than all the islands to the SE of it (the tectonic plate is moving to the NW).

But depending on exact Latitude, Kure Is to the West of Midway, might rightfully be called the most Northerly of the Hawaiian Islands.

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 42
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/26/2007 2:06:07 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikemike

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: AU Tiger

The US Government had very good reason for the interment camps. The author doesn't talk about the camps really, but he does go into the espionage in the Nissei community.

i get a link to "And I Was There" - a book i've read... i don't think it supports what you said (Nissei spying) - there was JAPANESE spying by members of the Japanese consulate in Honolulu - not the Nissei.

Also - note that they did NOT imprison the persons of Japanese descent on Hawaii (where the spying by the consular officials did happen) but 3000 miles away - on the West Coast.

Also, does the fact that some people "might have been spying" justify imprisoning a class of people?

To further the point rtrapasso made: has there been any widespread internment of German or Italian immigrants or their descendants to the third generation? Were Germans and Italians deemed less likely to do espionage and sabotage? Were Germany and Italy seen as a lesser threat vs. Japan? Certainly not. In WWI, sauerkraut became liberty cabbage for patriotic reasons. I don't recall a renaming of spaghetti in WWII. Neither did New Braunfels, Texas, feel compelled to rename itself Patriotville. THERE is your racism, or do you think there is a better explanation for the difference in treatment?

From what I heard one interviewer said in some documentary, probably the World at War, that they couldn't lock up all the Italians and Germans, because half of New York City would have had to be cleared and would had been ridiculous. He said that that was far too large for them to handle, and that the Japanese were something much more manageable.

(in reply to mikemike)
Post #: 43
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/26/2007 2:44:54 PM   
m10bob

quote:

I didn't jump right back into the discussion because I couldn't remember what was inaccurate other than the oft heard claim that MacA ignored the warnings from PH and left his planes on the ground. I thought that the PI air force was caught on the grond refueling and it was just dumb luck, not incompetence. As to the politically correct; I was turned off by the testimonials that it was not patriatism, but rather boredom that got men to enlist. That may have been the case for that witness, but as a sweeping gererality I don't think it is accurate. The people I've talked to who enlisted (My dad enlisted in the Marines on 8Dec and stayed in for 30 years) did it for a complex combination of reasons, with outrage and patriotism very near the top of the list. As to racism, I did not have much of a problem with the segments on internment. I live Southern California, one of the areas effected the most, I know many people who lost everything. My family were Italians, and were never even looked at cross eyed. No, what pissed me off was the tone suggesting that rightous indignation was not a prevalent attitude. It suugested to me a typical revisionist anti-war viewpoint.

I agree TommyG...My dad was operating a drill press at Allisons on west 10th street making engines for P 40's and P 39's, was driving a big Cadillac when Pearl Harbor happened.
He enlisted soon after and left the same day as his acceptance to GMI came thru.
He ended up being a 2LT with the 29th ID (HHC 116th RCT).
No boredom
Uncle George was a Radar man in the USAAF,killed in Nov '43 when the Rhona was sunk by a German guided missile.
Uncle Frank was a truck driver in Patton's Third Army.
Uncle Jim was on Guadalcanal, Bouganville,New Guinea, etc.
Uncle Ed was an aircraft mechanic in the 9th A.F.

None of them enlisted from "boredom".

In time, WWII will be remembered as a myth, like King Arthur........

(in reply to TommyG)
Post #: 44
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/26/2007 3:53:37 PM   
Joe D.

More on Burns' latest documentary re the Media Research Center (MRC).

"In the October 1 issue of Time magazine, TV critic James Poniewozik interviewed PBS star Ken Burns ... on the subject of his new World War II documentary, The War, airing this week and next on PBS.

Comparing the sacrifices of that era to now, Poniewozik wrote: "Today the government is loath to lay out a price, or ask one. 'People yearn for the memory of shared sacrifice that the Second World War represents,' Burns says. 'Now we're all free agents. We don't give up nothin'. We were asked after 9/11 to go shopping. It was sort of 'Don't worry your pretty little head about it.'"

Rationing then vs. consumerism now?

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 45
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/26/2007 5:12:34 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22
From what I heard one interviewer said in some documentary, probably the World at War, that they couldn't lock up all the Italians and Germans, because half of New York City would have had to be cleared and would had been ridiculous. He said that that was far too large for them to handle, and that the Japanese were something much more manageable.

Also, Germans and Italians weren't as easily identifiable as "one of them". And the truely evil nature of Nazi Germany wasn't generally known in 1941-42..., but everyone had heard of what those "sneaky, under-handed, backstabbing, little yellow folks" had done at Pearl Harbor. Americans prefer to apply their prejudices to readily identifiable groups.

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 46
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/26/2007 5:23:56 PM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

Also, Germans and Italians weren't as easily identifiable as "one of them". And the truely evil nature of Nazi Germany wasn't generally known in 1941-42..., but everyone had heard of what those "sneaky, under-handed, backstabbing, little yellow folks" had done at Pearl Harbor. Americans prefer to apply their prejudices to readily identifiable groups.

Their atrocities in China were also well known then also, and soon to be know was the Bataan Death March. I might have carried grudge or two myself back in those days.

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 47
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/26/2007 5:48:16 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

More on Burns' latest documentary re the Media Research Center (MRC).

"In the October 1 issue of Time magazine, TV critic James Poniewozik interviewed PBS star Ken Burns ... on the subject of his new World War II documentary, The War, airing this week and next on PBS.

Comparing the sacrifices of that era to now, Poniewozik wrote: "Today the government is loath to lay out a price, or ask one. 'People yearn for the memory of shared sacrifice that the Second World War represents,' Burns says. 'Now we're all free agents. We don't give up nothin'. We were asked after 9/11 to go shopping. It was sort of 'Don't worry your pretty little head about it.'"

Rationing then vs. consumerism now?

Couldn't agree with you more. "United We Stand" decals are a lot more meaningful when ALL of us are suffering. You are always more serious about a cause if you've had to suffer for and contribute towards it.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 48
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/26/2007 6:43:56 PM   
Joe D.

The Burns documentary gave the impression that rationing was deliberately crafted to get everyone at home involved in the war effort, as well as collecting needed commodities.

For example:

X amount of (kitchen) grease = glycerin = gun powder = 50 cal. rounds complete w/ammo belts winding X number of times around the world.

Just love that old Disney animation.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 49
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/26/2007 8:07:15 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

Their atrocities in China were also well known then also, and soon to be know was the Bataan Death March. I might have carried grudge or two myself back in those days.

My Dad carried a big one until the day he died. Wouldn't even speak to one of the neighbors until he discovered that "Ng" was Korean, not Japanese---and that Koreans weren't fond of the "sons of Nippon" either. Then they were back fence "buds" for the next 18 years.

(in reply to AU Tiger_MatrixForum)
Post #: 50
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/26/2007 8:25:06 PM   
panda124c

quote:

I believe that you have to look at this series as a sociological study of America in WWII not as a historical study. The attempt is to capture the feelings of the American people during this time period.

Post #: 51
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/26/2007 8:50:12 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

... It seemed slow, politically correct, and not terribly accurate ...

... Re PC: I believe Newsweek reported that Burns was compelled to add more minority vets when some groups (perhaps rightfully) complained they were under represented.

"WASHINGTON (AP) - Cartoonist Hector Cantu decided if the stories of Latino soldiers were going to go untold in Ken Burns' upcoming World War II documentary, he'd have "Baldo" tell them.

This week, Cantu and co-creator Carlos Castellanos unveiled Benito "Benny" Ramirez in their syndicated comic strip "Baldo," which appears in 200 newspapers.

Benito is a composite character based on the actual stories of several Hispanic World War II veterans ...

... After Hispanic groups initially complained about the documentary, Burns and PBS agreed to hire Hector Galan to add Hispanic voices. They then struck an agreement with the American GI Forum, a Hispanic veterans group, to include those in the film voices before the credits rolled."

I've recently been following this strip, but didn't know its background info.

< Message edited by Joe D. -- 9/26/2007 8:54:31 PM >

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 52
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/26/2007 11:02:35 PM   
TommyG

My objection was that the feelings being represented were selected by the producer to represent his viewpoint 60 years later and were not the viewpoints of most Amercans in 1942. But, I caveat this rant with the confession that I watched maybe 20 minutes of the first episode and 10 of the Latinos at war episode. So I really don't have a right to critique it further.

(in reply to panda124c)
Post #: 53
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/26/2007 11:55:23 PM   
wdolson

quote:

quote:

My Dad carried a big one until the day he died. Wouldn't even speak to one of the neighbors until he discovered that "Ng" was Korean, not Japanese---and that Koreans weren't fond of the "sons of Nippon" either. Then they were back fence "buds" for the next 18 years.

Ng is usually a Vietnamese name. I haven't encountered a Korean named Ng, though I suppose it's possible. Maybe some Vietnamese moved north?

The only prejudice I experienced growing up was against white folks. I grew up a couple of blocks from the border of East LA in a heavily Asian town (Monterey Park, CA). My high school was "heavily" white for the area. I think caucasians made up about 20% of the population.

When I started college in central California, I walked around for a few weeks with this feeling that something was oddly different, but I couldn't put my finger on it. It finally struck me that the school had a lot of blonds. I had never seen more than a few blond people in one place before.

Bill

Post #: 54
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/27/2007 12:17:59 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Ng is usually a Vietnamese name.

My experience too, although I also worked with one gentleman last name Ng who is Chinese.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 55
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/27/2007 12:19:24 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

My father too! The 'Red Ball Express'.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 56
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/27/2007 12:50:23 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

quote:

And there were actual nazi parties here with meetings. I'm not sure if they lasted past 12/41 though.

Post #: 57
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/27/2007 2:30:43 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

My father too! The 'Red Ball Express'.

BINGO!!
(Before that, he was working on the ALCAN ...)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 58
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/27/2007 2:33:44 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

And there were actual nazi parties here with meetings. I'm not sure if they lasted past 12/41 though.

I'm pretty sure there were a lot of brown shirts and red armbands being used to "stoke the boilers" in homes during December of 1941. Though the "Bund" was shrinking already with the ending of the Depression..., it was more an economic event than a political one in America. Communism and other "isms" also had popular gains during the thirty's. One big thing I will give FDR credit for with his "New Deal" was convincing the great majority of Americans than Democracy could deal with the Depression as well or better than any "ism".

Post #: 59
RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 - 9/27/2007 2:53:58 PM   
wdolson

quote:

The reason Texaco (historically one of the stingiest of the big oil companies) sponsored the Metropolitan Opera for decades was a strategic gaff they made in late 1941. I think it was in October 1941 when they threw a large party to celebrate the giant contract they had just signed to supply oil to Germany. The backlash before Pearl Harbor was pretty big and they worked hard to bury the event in the dust bin of history as quickly as possible. Several philantropic ventures were part of their image rebuilding program.

There were many people in the US profiting off of the Axis, especially Nazi Germany. Some are considered among America's "elite" families today. Though that's nothing new. FDR's mother's father or brother (can't remember which) made the family fortune in the opium trade and was a major figure in the Boxer Rebellion. His middle name, Delano, was his mother's family name. The Kennedy's made their initial fortune running booze during prohibition. Just about every prominent family in the world has some shady characters who made a lot of money dooing something that was unethical, or even illegal.

Bill

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: OT- Ken Burns WW2 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI