Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Comments and questions on first AAR go here

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Comments and questions on first AAR go here Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Comments and questions on first AAR go here - 10/9/2007 1:05:43 AM   
Joel Billings

Please post your comments and questions on the ongoing AAR here. Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Comments and questions on first AAR go here - 10/9/2007 8:07:08 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

I see the border states can be swayed to one side or the other. What are the rules concerning this aspect of the game/war?

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 2
RE: Comments and questions on first AAR go here - 10/9/2007 2:19:59 PM   
PyleDriver

Kentucky is the only border state at the start whose neutrality has not been violated. Kentucky is a huge varitable. Depending on whom attacks first and how early, It can go Union, Confederate, or stay neutral, nothing is for sure with this state. It's 4 factories and 9 population points are a big what if....

Jon

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 3
RE: Comments and questions on first AAR go here - 10/11/2007 2:59:48 PM   
myros

Just a quick question on something noticed on the AAR. On the production screen why the rather odd spiral for the future production lists? Had to look at it for a few minutes to try and figure out what was going on there. Im sure after playing a bit I wouldnt even notice but it just struck me and as an uneeded re-invention of a standard calander layout ;p Im never one for advocating the 'dumbing down' of games, but it would seem odd to complicate an established standard for no reason ... or maybe there is a reason? (Were calanders spiral back in the day? :) )

Other than that looking good, will be keepin an eye on this one.

Myros

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 4
RE: Comments and questions on first AAR go here - 10/11/2007 6:58:41 PM   
Joel Billings

We went to this in World at War trying to mimic the kinds of charts used in strategic WWII boardgames. It allows a quick view of what's in production by time. We didn't consider it a dumbing down but a visual way to see production.

(in reply to myros)
Post #: 5
RE: Comments and questions on first AAR go here - 10/11/2007 8:25:57 PM   
Duck Doc

I am used to WaW so a lot of what has been transposed is fairly transparent but a lot is new. The AAR is very helpful but I have a request. Please avoid the use of abbreviations & acronyms. For example an 'ss' I figure is a 'status screen' but I can't figure out what a 'CSC' is. Please! - this is not a criticism but only a request to make it easier on those of us trying to learn without the benefit of the manual. Great AAR & keep it coming.

Are railroads cosmetic or functional? In WaW rail is abstracted but I was commenting to myself how accurate the rail grid actually is & it got me to wondering.

Post #: 6
RE: Comments and questions on first AAR go here - 10/11/2007 8:46:22 PM   
Joel Billings

Rail is functional and only operates between areas that show a connection. The rail grid is quite accurate. I found a great book at the Bull Run battlefield when I was there last April and along with another atlas we already had we were able to nail the rail (given that there are always a few disagreements between sources). We didn't bother with adding rail during the war, so we had to make a few judgement calls about the bits of rail added as the war went on (very little was added).

CSCs are "Corps Sub Commanders". This is an optional rule. When using CSC's players have to activate more leaders and attach them to other leaders. These leaders represent division commanders that would be assigned to corps commanders. In the standard game we only have corps leaders and those leaders leading forces independent of corps.

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 7
RE: Comments and questions on first AAR go here - 10/11/2007 9:59:29 PM   
Rocco

Myros,

I think you would grow to love the production spiral.  It was a blessing that World at War used it.  In that game, once a carrier hit the block where Carrier air groups were made, you start building the carrier air group for it (this might not make since if you have never played World at War).  I guess to put it simply, it makes it easy to coordinate builds, and make sure enough manpower will be available at the time of completion.

This might seem really confusing if you have never played World at War, but trust me, the production spiral was a GREAT asset to this particular game system.

Rocco

Post #: 8
RE: Comments and questions on first AAR go here - 10/16/2007 4:04:12 PM   
rjh1971

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dale H

I am used to WaW so a lot of what has been transposed is fairly transparent but a lot is new. The AAR is very helpful but I have a request. Please avoid the use of abbreviations & acronyms. For example an 'ss' I figure is a 'status screen' but I can't figure out what a 'CSC' is. Please! - this is not a criticism but only a request to make it easier on those of us trying to learn without the benefit of the manual. Great AAR & keep it coming.

Roger.
SS stands for screenshot (not Schutzstaffel ). I used abbreviations because I have little time, I will write the word completely and then the abbreviation in parenthesis for each new post.

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 9
RE: Comments and questions on first AAR go here - 11/7/2007 10:09:56 PM   
elmo3

Maybe I just missed them but I don't see any forts along the Mississippi like Island No. 10, Fort Pillow, or Vicksburg although that may be obscured by a popup window.  Are any of these forts in the game?  Thanks.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 10
RE: Comments and questions on first AAR go here - 12/6/2007 5:24:47 AM   
ph4n

Oh, how I'm looking forward to playing this baby! ...and until then all I can do is hope for some new AAR updates - I want to see more aspects of the 'ACW:ified' engine (read: battles).

Just a thought on the US Kentucky takeover in your AAR: it tastes a bit WWII:ish, with cavalry acting more or less as panzers, doesn't it? Just taking it on one turn without the CSA having a chance to react. Some ACW game I played limited taking control of cities to infantry SP:s, not sure what I think about that, though... Also, shouldn't at least Kentucky state militia mobilize when invaded? Or is it just a matter of entering all (empty) cities to conquer Ky?

regards,
fredrik

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 11
RE: Comments and questions on first AAR go here - 12/6/2007 9:20:53 AM   
Joel Billings

Cavarly can only take areas not defended. We assume that Kentucky is so split that it does not mobilize a defense against whichever side invades it. However, it can shift the state to the non-invading side which has a big impact on where the Kentucky population goes (i.e. how many troops each side gets from the Kentucky populace). Also, there's a huge Political Point impact of invading Kentucky, although this drops each turn so that by the fall it's a much smaller cost.

(in reply to ph4n)
Post #: 12
RE: Comments and questions on first AAR go here - 12/6/2007 9:22:59 AM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

Maybe I just missed them but I don't see any forts along the Mississippi like Island No. 10, Fort Pillow, or Vicksburg although that may be obscured by a popup window.  Are any of these forts in the game?  Thanks.

Areas can be fortified, and a few can be fortified to level 2 (like Vicksburg). It's important to fortify a region to allow your heavy artillery to be utilized against ships in the adjacent river areas. So these forts are accounted for in the game.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 13
RE: Comments and questions on first AAR go here - 12/6/2007 2:05:09 PM   
ph4n

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Cavarly can only take areas not defended. We assume that Kentucky is so split that it does not mobilize a defense against whichever side invades it. However, it can shift the state to the non-invading side which has a big impact on where the Kentucky population goes (i.e. how many troops each side gets from the Kentucky populace). Also, there's a huge Political Point impact of invading Kentucky, although this drops each turn so that by the fall it's a much smaller cost.

Ok, thanks for the clarification!

I'll test my luck with a couple of new questions...:

1. How do you handle leader promotion?
2. Will it will be possible to play with randomized (and initially hidden) leader skills?

Thanks!

regards,
fredrik

Post #: 14
RE: Comments and questions on first AAR go here - 12/6/2007 10:21:25 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: ph4n

2. Will it will be possible to play with randomized (and initially hidden) leader skills?

Thanks!

1. Leaders get points for success in combat and go up in rank when they hit certain points. Each side can have 2 theatre commanders and 4 army commanders. They must meet certain requirements to be appointed. Once appointed, they require political points to dismiss.

2. Yes and yes. We have semi-random and random leaders as well as historical ratings, and you can use unknown leader ratings which are revealed over time as used. I prefer random leaders with unknown ratings as this gives you the true Civil War command problem experience. Where's my Grant?

(in reply to ph4n)
Post #: 15
RE: Comments and questions on first AAR go here - 12/7/2007 1:32:12 AM   
ph4n

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: ph4n

Thanks!

1. Leaders get points for success in combat and go up in rank when they hit certain points. Each side can have 2 theatre commanders and 4 army commanders. They must meet certain requirements to be appointed. Once appointed, they require political points to dismiss.

2. Yes and yes. We have semi-random and random leaders as well as historical ratings, and you can use unknown leader ratings which are revealed over time as used. I prefer random leaders with unknown ratings as this gives you the true Civil War command problem experience. Where's my Grant?

Thanks again!

The theatre/army commander hirearchy sounds good - the more CoC stuff the merrier, IMHO.

regards,
fredrik

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Comments and questions on first AAR go here Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI