Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Napoleon's Campaigns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray >> Napoleon's Campaigns Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Napoleon's Campaigns - 10/12/2007 3:04:15 PM   
Gibbon

Will Napoleon's Campaigns be distributed by Matrix? When? Can we expect a boxed version?

< Message edited by Gibbon -- 10/12/2007 3:08:05 PM >

McClellan asked, "What troops are those fighting in the Pike?"
Hooker replied, "[Brigadier] General Gibbon's brigade of Western men."
McClellan stated, "They must be made of iron."
Post #: 1
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 10/15/2007 5:49:01 PM   
Erik Rutins

We can't discuss this yet, sorry.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Gibbon)
Post #: 2
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 10/16/2007 12:15:10 PM   
Gibbon

OK, fingers crossed

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 10/17/2007 5:45:30 AM   
Reiryc

I'd be surprised if it wasn't released by matrix.  

(in reply to Gibbon)
Post #: 4
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 10/17/2007 3:01:54 PM   
JudgeDredd

Well, I certainly hope so....Matrix are my favourite wargame publisher and the support is there...and this game is a great game.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 5
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 10/19/2007 4:38:01 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

The map is the best I have ever seen by far! Unfortunately for me, the battles leave much to be desired as far as immersion goes so it will be something I only see in screenshots.

Many others do enjoy the engine though. I know I certainly wanted to.

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 6
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 10/22/2007 6:40:40 PM   
Pocus

Immersion... a so evasive concept 
We never wanted to add a tactical engine into our games. This detract from the other focus, which is acting at the strategical and operationnal level. This also mean for the dev team to pour a good amount of resources to make even an average tac engine, so less AI coding time and less sophisticated map, OOBs, events and chrome rules. No, we prefer to focus on one thing and do it right!

AGEOD Team

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 7
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 10/22/2007 9:26:21 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pocus

We never wanted to add a tactical engine into our games. This detract from the other focus, which is acting at the strategical and operationnal level. This also mean for the dev team to pour a good amount of resources to make even an average tac engine, so less AI coding time and less sophisticated map, OOBs, events and chrome rules. No, we prefer to focus on one thing and do it right!

Here are four things to increase the battle immersiveness, and give the player more emotional payoff for his many hours/minutes of advance, pre-battle planning and maneuvering:

--Show total forces engaged as actual head counts, not just the casualties. And give a casualy breakdown. (For example: "Union 68,419 engaged, 1,288 killed, 5,492 wounded, 992 captured, 573 missing, 8,345 total casualties. Confederate ...")
--Play a greater variety of battle sounds, especially the cries (more than just the same old, same old "Charrrrrge!" or "Retreat!").
--Leave the player in suspense a while longer. That is, play the battle sounds, and delay displaying the battle results, for 30 seconds to a minute (varies by the size of the battle), not just after 2-10 seconds.
--And most importantly: Give a textual running commentary on the battle, with a second or two between comments. (For example: "General Jackson's forces attack... Union 2nd corps panic and route... King's division arrives as reinforcements... Fierce hand-to-hand combat in the center... Gibbon's brigade mauled...") Make this moddable, so that your user community can add variety and spice up the in-battle comments to their heart's content. (That is, make an endlessly expandable database of battle comments, with hooks to the underlying statistics.)

Without going tactical/graphical (which I agree is besides the point in a game like this), how really hard would the above be to add (for all your games, not just AACW)?

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 8
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 10/22/2007 10:09:42 PM   
HobbesACW

I certainly think you are on to something with the running commentary idea berto. I would like to see that one day.
There are many pieces of information that could be given in that format including leader influence and performance, troop morale, fatigue,
the timings for troops entering battle - if reserves can be seen approaching etc
Cheers, Chris

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 9
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 10/22/2007 10:25:48 PM   
James Ward

For Liberty uses this in their automatic battle. You see what unit fired at who, the morale and manpower loss, who got initiative, who routed, what reinforcements arrived etc. It's kind of neat to watch it though for large battles it can take a while to get through.

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 10
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 10/23/2007 11:10:24 PM   
Shawkhan

...Wow, a tactical feel in a stategic game. Since the computer is already simulating various tactical events 'under the hood', having a simple explanation of what is going on seems a great way to understand the ebb and flow of a battle.  

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 11
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 10/24/2007 4:14:39 AM   
Skeleton

I have said this since BoA came out and I could not agree more on each point. I also say this as one who absolutely loves what AGEOD has done with each of their games. I would love the combat aspect (forgive the comparsion as I loathe the game) to mirrior what Hearts of Iron does; by not only drawing out the actual combat phase, but by possibly allowing you to make one or two decisions during battle. As an example, using AACW, giving you an option to allow a Division/Army in an adjacent territory to join in the combat or perform a flanking action against an enemy, therefore adding a bonus modifier or allowing you the ability to withdraw at some point to minimise your losses. Anything to take away from the "Whaw" what just happened feel I get now. Again, I say this as one who fully intends to purchase everything AGEOD puts out until they give me a reason not to.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 12
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 10/24/2007 5:46:01 PM   
barbarossa2

I LOVE this system. And I agree with the AGEOD strategy of being good at STRATEGY and not going into tactics.

However, I do agree that the battle resolution needs to be spiced up somewhat. The hearts are too abstract. Tell us how MANY troops are involved on each side. How many regulars. How many irregulars. How many cavalry. Then tell us the losses in terms of men. Not in hearts.

As in love as I am with this system now, if AGEOD decided to turn battles into a 3 phased affair (the combat rounds per day) and give the players a choice of 4 to 6 tactics to pursue the battle phase with (flank, assault, bombard, etc), I would be happy with that. But not more. Please don't start anything with "battle maps" in the near future. This would probably drive me out of the market. I enjoy these games because they are playable in a long weekend. More is too much (for me).

Oh yeah. And the number of men and casualties doesn't have to be a precise affair. Just an approximation will do!

The sounds of battle could be somewhat upgraded. A couple of firing muskets isn't too exciting. Maybe a few "sampled" sounds from big movies all chopped up and mixed together (so no one could tell if it was theirs or not! ) would be the best! (not being totally serious about this last point)

Thanks for a great game!

A new fan,

Chris

< Message edited by barbarossa2 -- 10/24/2007 6:29:21 PM >

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori*.
-Wilfred Owen
*It is sweet and right to die for your country.

(in reply to Skeleton)
Post #: 13
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 10/24/2007 7:40:56 PM   
denisonh

I like the strategic feel of the games. Not that a little more detail on the battle outcomes wouldn't be welcome, but I like the simple and rather elegant command and control that keeps the player out of the tactical decision making.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to barbarossa2)
Post #: 14
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 10/24/2007 8:23:11 PM   
HobbesACW

There is always the problem with PBEM when you start to give players decisions to make during a tactical battle but it could be made optional.
My personal preference (as a PBEM only player) would be to make the tactical battles as tense as possible with the text ideas above. You could
be told things like a certain commander is moving up to reinforce only to hear that he has then turned tail and retreated - that sort of thing (but it would have to reflect what is actually going on in the game engine and also be optional).

I also like Berto's suggestion of opening this text to modders to keep it interesting (under the supervision of a trusted modder).

Chris

< Message edited by hobbes -- 10/24/2007 8:32:51 PM >

(in reply to denisonh)
Post #: 15
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 10/25/2007 8:17:05 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

... No, we prefer to focus on one thing and do it right!

Did anyone notice that focus ryhmes w/Pocus?

Many new war games try to do everything to appeal to a broad spectrum of players, but these games end up appealing to no one because you can't get in all to work in the same box.

WEGO w/operational control and maybe a running (battle) commentary would be welcomed as AGEOD's "Battle Meter" does leave something to be desired. Otherwise, don't mess w/success.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 16
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 10/25/2007 8:25:45 PM   
HobbesACW

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

Many new war games try to do everything to appeal to a broad spectrum of players, but these games end up appealing to no one because you can't get in all to work in the same box.

WEGO w/operational control and maybe a running (battle) commentary would be welcomed as AGEOD's "Battle Meter" does leave something to be desired. Otherwise, don't mess w/success.

I can't remember a single game that I have enjoyed that has both strategic and tactical combat. I think it could be done, but you would need a lot of time and money and the right developers to pull it off. (Somebody like Pocus working for Microsoft without interference - well if I win the lottery ....).

Cheers, Chris

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 17
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 11/1/2007 7:28:18 PM   
Mayenne

Pocus has announced today that the game will be released November 15th, but the demo shall be available before.

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 18
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 11/3/2007 2:03:19 PM   
Skeleton

Great! So that means it will be approximately 2 months before we can download it here, correct?!?!

(in reply to Mayenne)
Post #: 19
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 11/8/2007 4:23:51 PM   
PunkReaper

Any news of a Matrix release for napoleon's campaign...game comes out on 15th November but I would prefer to download it from here as I've never had any problems with the games I've bought from here.

(in reply to Skeleton)
Post #: 20
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 11/8/2007 5:42:22 PM   
Erik Rutins

We will be releasing Napoleon's Campaigns here as well as we did with BOA and AACW, but there will likely be a delay as we are still working out the production details.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 21
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 11/8/2007 6:41:59 PM   
cdbeck

That is good news Erik, I was confident that AGEOD and Matrix would continue their partnership. It is a great match!

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 22
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 11/8/2007 8:15:43 PM   
PunkReaper

Thanks Erik for the reply. Will it be available in time for christmas?.....

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 23
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 11/13/2007 1:53:52 PM   
Gibbon

Cool!!

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 24
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 11/17/2007 8:26:28 AM   
wolflars

Bill Trotter over at wargamer have put up an almost embarrassingly glowing review of NC.

Congrats to agoed on what looks like yet another winner. Stunning track record.

Anyhow, maybe Erik can give us an estimate for Matrix distribution. No rush here, just bought AT last week...but I like to plan ahead. For some reason I can never successfully buy through ageod's other distributors, something to do with my bank (although I think it is some Matrix conspiracy)

(in reply to Gibbon)
Post #: 25
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 11/18/2007 1:57:47 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

Is that what you did when you were programming "PAX ROMANA" POCUS? ;)

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 26
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 11/18/2007 8:45:20 PM   
Battlecry

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Is that what you did when you were programming "PAX ROMANA" POCUS? ;)

Once again, you're wrong.

pocus never programmed Pax Romana. Another team was in charge of this one.

Bad try.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 27
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 11/20/2007 12:35:46 PM   
Pocus

If I had programmed Pax Romana, it will be first turn-based and second you would have gotten the necessary patches for it...

AGEOD Team

(in reply to Battlecry)
Post #: 28
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 11/27/2007 3:57:19 AM   
rastak

quote:

ORIGINAL: hobbes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

I can't remember a single game that I have enjoyed that has both strategic and tactical combat. I think it could be done, but you would need a lot of time and money and the right developers to pull it off. (Somebody like Pocus working for Microsoft without interference - well if I win the lottery ....).

Cheers, Chris

Conquest of the New World and Imperialism were excellent games that did both.

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 29
RE: Napoleon's Campaigns - 12/4/2007 8:16:51 PM   
PunkReaper

Any news yet as to when NC will be available? Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat.

(in reply to rastak)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray >> Napoleon's Campaigns Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI