Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

double thanks, for update patch, and for Burma-imphal-kohima scenario!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Public Beta Feedback >> double thanks, for update patch, and for Burma-imphal-kohima scenario! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
double thanks, for update patch, and for Burma-imphal-k... - 10/14/2007 7:29:28 PM   
17poundr

I am sooo happy today, not only did I finally find a scenario that really 'grabbed me by the guts', after a long time (last time was about a year ago, when I downloaded 'a bridge too far', I have been wargaming since an Avalon Hill style turn based hex map game called 'armour at prokhorovka' that my dad got for us in 1979 when I was nine...

First just quickly, I read the readme on the new patch, and boy does it sound good, I didnt get some of the air war aspects, and I hope that it would be made more clear when the text is referring to improvements for the gaming, and improvements in the scenario editor... I get confused often...

But, alas, again TOAW has shown that in my books, short from getting a slave crew who would count all the chips tables ect, and playing humans with boardgames, there is NO SUBSTITUTE FOR TOAW IN TURN BASED STRATEGY GAMING!!!

PHOOEY!

And now for my main praise, to mr Mudd, and the exellent Burma- 'imphal-kohima', scenario.

It's great! And let me tell why,

you can imagine that after I got the TOAW-ACOW version when it came out arround millennium, the last couple of years have been a bit dry... But some great games that people had created FOR FREE! (I mean most of them, would have been 20-50dollar boxes in the old days of no pc gaming).

Anyway, I found the first one in toaw III to really grab me, although I enjoy always trying to get through a 60s-70s nato-vs-warsaw pact, as the reds, and try to get through without leaving a nuclear wasteland behind (and sometimes in front of my troops)! The 80s, just get into an Apache fest imho... I still think that sams and pure ground fire hasnt been properly factored in, or the orders of the pilots in what losses are acceptable, in damage done to target and own planes-helicopters...

Anyway, enough of that.

I found a lovely, ahh so well balanced game, where after four rounds of planning my massive Chindit Behind the lines op's, ect, the Japs hit hard!

Now, it's interesting... Something has happened in a good way, as taking over air superiority isnt as easy, and as I like to fool arround, I noticed that if I just did a bombing raid in the beginning with optimal air supremacy units in range, number one, for some reason the planes that could just reach it, elected not to go! Even when they had ignore losses (yep, I put my spits as close as possible, and they were like with one hex to spare, but only the longer range p-38s and Mustangs went along, with some of the Hurricanes 'go figure', that were closer by than the spits went)... This was consistent, the results, when I checked from a pre saved place, were, pretty similar, exept one time when I hit the jackpot!

Yay! I thought, look at that result, and anticipating the usual 'you have 80% of your turn left', message, I got 'turn over'!

I reasoned that this very very well executed attack, had taken more time and thus 'eaten up', more combat rounds... Go figure, but goes to show, nothign's free, even if you try to cheat! And that's good!

I just want to say, that even though I'm only on round six, I love this scenario, it's amongst the classics already in my books...

I was thinking what about hearing about a list of fav scenarios and why, but that is another thread... This one is for the Burma boys... And I must say, that although I'm vexed at having some units still unmovable, and the Japanese are possibly going to crush my Chindits, (although as I stuck close to the airstrips with the real names, that indicated which was historical Chindit territory, it has given me with a great bonus of lot's of escape areas, so that I cannot be surrounded by fast moving motorised or cavalry troops if trying a fighting withdrawal...

For now, I feel like I felt, back in 2000, or was it 2001, when I got ready to defend France in 1940, and suddenly all the Belgium units dissappeared from my ranks! I cracked my nuckles, and said, 'Not this time Herr Hitler'... And I did it... A great game, with great people doing selfless work! Thanks for this scenario, whoever you are Sam Mudd!

Anybody wanting to pbm a good quickie, please let me know, it's good to alternate, between a juicy solitaire game, and a good human adversary (which is often where 'The rubber meets the road')...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 17poundr -- 10/14/2007 7:38:14 PM >

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.

"Gunner, panzer eleven 'o' clock, shoot"!
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Public Beta Feedback >> double thanks, for update patch, and for Burma-imphal-kohima scenario! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI