Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Karachi in ruins...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Karachi in ruins... Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/7/2008 10:03:49 PM   
mlees

He seems to have a few TF's concentrated in the hex 2 hexes NE of Bombay, which, coincidently, is at the end of a rail line, according to the map art. I wonder if he is landing or taking off troops...

(in reply to Gen.Hoepner)
Post #: 541
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/7/2008 10:45:07 PM   
witpqs

General,

While I think para drops on non-bases should be allowed, they aren't so finding a way to do it is taking advantage of a bug.

Get all the supplies you can into the Marshalls before he moves assets back and gains control of the sea. You have set up the major attrition theater (think Guadalcanal!) months early!

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 542
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/7/2008 10:54:24 PM   
cantona2

GH, sorry for the hijacking of the thread but how does this para drop bug work, does it mean that if you drop on a non base hex thats occupied you automatically get a successful shock attack against the occupying unit? If so this is very gamey and something akin to the ant attack in TOAW where you can have a platoon sized unit whittiling away at a divisional sized unit causing a massive loss in supply and strength.

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 543
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 3:02:40 AM   
eloso

Hi General,

I had something similar happen in a game of mine. Ironic that it took place in India as well. ;)

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1564997

What my opponent discovered was that he could target a hex that I occupied even if it wasn't a base/dot hex without having to flop between the supply/unit transport method. The problem here is that he targeted a LCU of mine that was moving. My unit actually moved out of the hex before the land combat phase. Somehow his transport planes were reset to hex 0,0 and on subsequent turns it appeared that he was dropping fragments all over the map cutting off my retreat routes.  In fact, what was happening was that the transport planes were constantly targeting the initial LCU of mine as it was retreating to Bombay. We had a HR prohibiting fragment dropping and we resolved it by replaying the turns. He had to reset all of his transport planes to drop the para units into the initial hex that he targeted.

As you can see things can get really buggy when allowing airborne actions against non-dot/base hexes. I think you should probably mention it to your opponent even if you are going to allow it in the event that something like what happened to me occurs again in your game. We ended up modifying our house rule so that the victim of this drop would have to notify the other player that there was a LCU unit moving in the hex.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 544
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 10:13:02 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 03/01/42

Back from the holydays i'm now at work and cannot play turns untill the lunch-break, so i can only comment the combat report Txt.

March begins with what can be confirmed as a strong massive japanese counter-offensive in China. Now he has pushed me back from Anking and Kiukiang and, despite having lost Henkow (sp?? near Shangai) he's now threating directly my retreat lines having massed 32 units at Kiukiang, ready to cross the river and assault Nanchang or the swampy road N-W of Kiukiang. He has brough everything that he hasn't in India in China and he's now bombing the hell out of my chinese units and my chinese bases, clearly in order to burn my supplies.
It seems that the goal of Trollelite is to conquer the whole China as well, so estabilishing a continental empire rather than a pacific one...

In India he sent his CVs back to Pengim to refule and refit, while only 3 CVs raided my shipping lines in the Aden Channell, sinking a couple of APs that were carring the III Ind. HQ...... unitll he keeps his CVs there there's simply no way i can send anymore convoys to Karachi...i managed to sneak 3 APs with fragments of the HQ, but now he has got the trick and he will be no more caught off guard.
Delhi and Poona have fallen. Ademabad will be next. Now my dominions are reduced only to Karachi and Malir and the latter will be abbandoned as soon as he advances towards it. I'm waiting for the air storm of japanese bombers over Malir in the next week....

In the Marshalls things have now slowed down a bit. We're consolidating and organizing. I managed to put some F-5 recon planes at Eniwetok and saw that at Truk he has based some 40 fighters plus 40 bombers and some more 67 aux planes. I'd say just a defensive force. He hasn't tried to attack Eniwetok base yet... At the moment are present at Eniwetok the 111st RCT and a base force, 35 Wildcats, 12 Catalinas and 10 F-5. In 4 days will arrive a EAB unit to build the base and in the next week 2 AA units will be moved there with a close support provided by my CVs.
Maloleap and Wotje are repairing very slowly despite there are tons of engeneers...however as soon as these 2 bases will be open 300 bombers will start to bomb the hell out of Kwalajein, while some 150 fighters will start a training camp.
We're also organizing to move further, re-grouping our transports and calculating the logistical needs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Delhi

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 39786 troops, 140 guns, 110 vehicles, Assault Value = 1119

Defending force 6524 troops, 52 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 128

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese max assault: 1652 - adjusted assault: 418

Allied max defense: 128 - adjusted defense: 141

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 1

Japanese ground losses:
688 casualties reported
Guns lost 13

Allied ground losses:
286 casualties reported
Guns lost 7

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 03/02/42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF at 6,5 *in the Aden Channell...*

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 55
B5N2 Kate x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
AP Neptuna, Torpedo hits 1
AP Montoro

Allied ground losses:
27 casualties reported

Day Air attack on TF at 6,5

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged

Allied Ships
AP Neptuna
AP Montoro, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
62 casualties reported

Day Air attack on TF at 7,5

Japanese aircraft
D3A2 Val x 21
B5N2 Kate x 21

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AK Empire Cameron, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
88 casualties reported

Ground combat at Delhi

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 54484 troops, 149 guns, 175 vehicles, Assault Value = 1045

Defending force 6050 troops, 35 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 116

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 0

Japanese max assault: 1692 - adjusted assault: 1005

Allied max defense: 110 - adjusted defense: 165

Japanese assault odds: 6 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Delhi base !!! Already 50 enemy bombers are based there now....

Japanese ground losses:
291 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
369 casualties reported
Guns lost 7

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Ground combat at 48,36

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 2880 troops, 0 guns, 80 vehicles, Assault Value = 81

Defending force 34399 troops, 162 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 965

Japanese max assault: 88 - adjusted assault: 4

Allied max defense: 783 - adjusted defense: 1642

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
449 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 23

Allied ground losses:
10 casualties reported

The usual kamikaze-recon attack...in China he sent a lonely tank unit to face 4 chinese corps just N-W of Kiukiang...

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 545
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 10:14:22 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

He seems to have a few TF's concentrated in the hex 2 hexes NE of Bombay, which, coincidently, is at the end of a rail line, according to the map art. I wonder if he is landing or taking off troops...

no, he was just bombing for no reason my troops at Ahdamebadad (sp?!?!?)

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 546
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 10:20:41 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

General,

While I think para drops on non-bases should be allowed, they aren't so finding a way to do it is taking advantage of a bug.

Get all the supplies you can into the Marshalls before he moves assets back and gains control of the sea. You have set up the major attrition theater (think Guadalcanal!) months early!

A word on the para-drops. I'm a bit unhappy about that cause it really screws up everything, but i do not want to ask for a new HR. Maybe when the indian campaign will be over, i'll ask him not to do this in China... but i'm tempted not to ask for anything and accept what he does.

For what concerns the "like-Guadalcanal" i really do not know. I think Trollelite is too smart to accept an attrition battle in the Marshalls. I really think he will look for a China conquest and fortify there so having, as said before, a continental empire virtually untouchable. That's why i have to run in order to be in a position so close to his vital jugular to force him to accept a pacific attrition fighting in mid-late 42...possibly in the Mariannas..

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 547
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 10:46:38 AM   
goodboyladdie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gen.Hoepner

quote:

General,

A word on the para-drops. I'm a bit unhappy about that cause it really screws up everything, but i do not want to ask for a new HR. Maybe when the indian campaign will be over, i'll ask him not to do this in China... but i'm tempted not to ask for anything and accept what he does.

For what concerns the "like-Guadalcanal" i really do not know. I think Trollelite is too smart to accept an attrition battle in the Marshalls. I really think he will look for a China conquest and fortify there so having, as said before, a continental empire virtually untouchable. That's why i have to run in order to be in a position so close to his vital jugular to force him to accept a pacific attrition fighting in mid-late 42...possibly in the Mariannas..

Every reasonable player should know that it is not done unless both opponents agree. I do not like your opponent's play style or his aggressive personal style. The patience you show with him is remarkable. At some point in the future, you will have to do the same trick on him and see if he cries about it. I rather suspect he will...

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 548
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 10:48:51 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

One more word about Karachi and its final stand.
I made some calculations.
If any new game-flaw or strange trick doesn't strike me avoiding me to retreat to Karachi, i'll be able to mass the scheldued 2000 AVs in Karachi. Forts are level 5 and 50% to level 6.
360,000 supplies present at the moment.
The back bone of my defences will be formed by the 7th AIF division (90 exp-90 morale) and by the 18th UK Division (56 exp and 58 morale).
the Air force defending Karachi is now formed by 170 fighters and 200 bombers and torp bombers. These will be surely obliterated by the IJAF, but i hope to at least cause him some problems...
Do not know how long i can last...my fear ias that with the support of his BBs the siege will be over very quickly....

Post #: 549
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 10:55:22 AM   
witpqs

Those torpedo bombers might just rain on his BBs' parade!

Post #: 550
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 10:58:49 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

Those torpedo bombers might just rain on his BBs' parade!

Don't be that optimistic. I have only 12 Swordfish and some 9 Vitebsks...the rest are LBA, mostly Blenheims I and IVs with some 18 B-25s, 12 B-17Es and some mixed stuff like Martins... Consider that we are in early March 42, so RAF and Ducth planes cannot still be upgraded.
The fighter force i better shaped, even if my pools are empty.
P-40 B/Es and Hurricanes compose the main force, with some 10 buffalos and 12 lancers...

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 551
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 11:14:08 AM   
Elladan

Do you have any recon of Japanese forces in Marianas?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 552
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 11:18:37 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elladan

Do you have any recon of Japanese forces in Marianas?

Not directly. I cannot reach the Mariannas at the moment, not even with Conrados (16 hexes). But i know that at Tinian there's only 1 unit and this unit is a base force. 1 unit only also at Guam (i'd say a NFL) and 3 units at Saipan (probably thestarting units so a NLF, a base force and a CD unit).

What? are you thinking of a fast transport "coup-de main" invasion?? remember that we're in range of Betties from Truk and Saipan has level 4 AF....

(in reply to Elladan)
Post #: 553
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 11:22:35 AM   
Elladan

Just asking to have a better view of situation. But with so small garrison there I would consider such action. Betties can't stop a determined effort, you would just have to pay your price. What forces do you have available in the theatre at the moment?

Post #: 554
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 11:32:52 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

I can load from Maloleap and Wotje let's say 2 divisions (the 24th and 25th), plus maybe 2 U.S. RCTs on normal transports. Got only 4 CVs loaded with wildcats and SDBs (left at PH my useless torpedo bombers). What i fear isn't really Truk...i can easily bypass it chosing the way south of Marcus Island...what i really fear is Saipan...he can easily move from China and Formosa some 200 Betties/Nells and some 100 zeros (at least)...would be quite risky... however i have to think about it...

(in reply to Elladan)
Post #: 555
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 11:34:18 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

Maybe the CVs could try a rush using bad weather trying to close Saipan AF...mmmm...like what we did with Maloleap and Wotje 2 weeks ago....mmmmm....

Post #: 556
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 11:36:04 AM   
witpqs

quote:

I can load from Maloleap and Wotje let's say 2 divisions (the 24th and 25th), plus maybe 2 U.S. RCTs on normal transports. Got only 4 CVs loaded with wildcats and SDBs (left at PH my useless torpedo bombers). What i fear isn't really Truk...i can easily bypass it chosing the way south of Marcus Island...what i really fear is Saipan...he can easily move from China and Formosa some 200 Betties/Nells and some 100 zeros (at least)...would be quite risky... however i have to think about it...

Putting it the way you did maybe the Marshalls are as far as you should go for now. You do need to retain enough strength to supply whatever you take, and avoid losing several divisions to counter-attack covered by KB.

Post #: 557
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 11:44:32 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

That's what i fear witpqs...at the same time it's also true that sooner or later India will be lost and all those assets will be used against me in the pacific...so the temptation to run and grab whatever i can before he cames back is strong!
It's also true that with the Marshalls in my hands so early i can be satisfied for what concerns the pacific theatre...do not know guys...it's hard to tell what to do...

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 558
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 12:38:26 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

Another thing to be considered is how many units will he be forced to keep in India in order to defend it from a British coming back from Aden? Surely a lot of Betties/Nells in order to interdict the Aden Channells exit and some more at Cylon in order to stop any allied attempt coming from Oz...

Will it be valuable not to send the british CVs back to Europe and so pay the PP points? ....very hard decisions to take

Post #: 559
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 1:13:22 PM   
Elladan

I would keep British CVs if you only have PPs to spare. They will prove invaluable to your continued ability to project your presence in India theatre.
As for Marianas, it's a risky operation, you have forces to get it but you may not be able to hold it very long. On the other way if you can keep it it would be a big strategic asset in your hand. Effectively closing all southern Pacific for Japanese and shortening a war very significantly. It could be even more valuable to you then India and parts of China. But the decision is yours :)

Post #: 560
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 2:12:24 PM   
Mistmatz

I wouldn't go for Marianas, too much to chew right now IMHO.

Furthermore if you have a bold presence in the Marshalls you might lure him into a CV battle favourable for you, whereas in the Marianas he will likely have the advantage.
In addition he will have lots of forces at hand for a strike and you will be spread between Marianas and Marshalls without mutual support.
Just my 2cents

(in reply to Elladan)
Post #: 561
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 2:32:13 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

Thanks guys for your inputs. Really appreciated.
I'll think about it some more time. Meanwhile i'll be re-organizing my forces in the Marshalls and build up Eniwetok.
It's march already and i should send 2 CVs to drydock in order to upgrade...mmm.....

Time now to think about defending india again...it's so depressing to see the whole continent in japanese hands so early ....

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 562
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 4:26:57 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

Will it be valuable not to send the british CVs back to Europe and so pay the PP points? ....very hard decisions to take

Hi G.H.,

Speaking from experience, you're going to need those PP for releasing west coast units. Especially now that you're committed in the Marshals. I was very short of PP in my game because I spent so much releasing units early in the SRA.

I doubt a British CV or two is going to be able to do much in the next six months to a year, but 3-4 US brigades and some air assets added to Centpac right now can make his counter-attacks in the Marshals very costly.

If India falls and you lose all those land forces there, you won’t be able to do much until late 43 or early 44 anyway. I’d send everything back to the UK that the game asks for and focus 100% of your PP on the Pacific until things stabilize there.

If you can manage to hold onto even a small part of the Marshal’s, your timeline in the Pacific will be vaulted forward by 6 months or more. Taking advantage of that you can eventually isolate India from the home islands and that will help a lot when the Brits finally do come back.

I’d say victory is in the Pacific for you in this game, not in India. India should be a sideshow relegated to long periods of inactivity but forcing Japan to keep massive assets tied down in its defense. Centpac should get 100% of everything until you can stop his counter-thrust there for good. Only then should you consider spending or sending any assets anywhere else.

I’d even shortchange Australia for now. I think it’s a lot more important to hold your gains in the Marshals than it is to launch an early attack out of Australia. So send everything you have into the Marshal’s and let’s hope he loses a lot of assets when he shows up to try and take it all back.

Jim

Post #: 563
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 4:52:25 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

quote:

Hi G.H.,

Speaking from experience, you're going to need those PP for releasing west coast units. Especially now that you're committed in the Marshals. I was very short of PP in my game because I spent so much releasing units early in the SRA.

I doubt a British CV or two is going to be able to do much in the next six months to a year, but 3-4 US brigades and some air assets added to Centpac right now can make his counter-attacks in the Marshals very costly.

If India falls and you lose all those land forces there, you won’t be able to do much until late 43 or early 44 anyway. I’d send everything back to the UK that the game asks for and focus 100% of your PP on the Pacific until things stabilize there.

If you can manage to hold onto even a small part of the Marshal’s, your timeline in the Pacific will be vaulted forward by 6 months or more. Taking advantage of that you can eventually isolate India from the home islands and that will help a lot when the Brits finally do come back.

I’d say victory is in the Pacific for you in this game, not in India. India should be a sideshow relegated to long periods of inactivity but forcing Japan to keep massive assets tied down in its defense. Centpac should get 100% of everything until you can stop his counter-thrust there for good. Only then should you consider spending or sending any assets anywhere else.

I’d even shortchange Australia for now. I think it’s a lot more important to hold your gains in the Marshals than it is to launch an early attack out of Australia. So send everything you have into the Marshal’s and let’s hope he loses a lot of assets when he shows up to try and take it all back.

Jim

Hi Jim.

I agree with you on the PPs. I'm already short of PPs right now cause i've used them to switch those Bdes attached to Indian HQ to SEAC in order to airlift them after they where sorrounded during the Madras siege one month ago.
However i do agree that the Pacific is at the moment the strategical threatre where i can lose this war.
But d'u really think he's going to counterattack?Wouldn't be better for him simply to mass 1 division for each important Island in the Mariannas and in the Bonins and simply wait for me to attack, while from India and Sra the resources keep on flowing to the HI?
He's already focusing on China right now so i suspect he's trying to build a continental empire, using the central pacific only as a pillow to keep the americans far from his shipping lanes...
And wouldn't it be too dangerous for him to counterattack in the Marshalls? in the next 60 days i can have there 4 full divisions, 6 RCTs, 2 NZ Bdes, 5 Marine CD units, 5 AA units, 5 Arty units plus some 300 bombers and possibly some more 300 fighters, along with 12 BBs, 5 CVs and the whole intact pacific fleet. Seems too much even for the mighty KB....

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 564
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 5:13:02 PM   
ny59giants

I have a CHS game in late 10/42 as the Allies. Due to CHS having only 50 Politcal Points per day, I would say no to any attempts to take the Marianas. It takes almost 1/2 a month to get enough for a RCT to be released.

Build up the Marshalls to have your most important bases to level 9 forts and some AF to level 4 so you can support your Beauforts (did you change the 2 Canadian Blenheim to Beaufort I's??).

He will probaly use KB to hit softer targets after India falls to build up his experience before he tries to take on the American CVs.

Post #: 565
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 5:13:24 PM   
Elladan

That's a lot of forces you have gathered for Marshalls. Even a single division on an atoll is very difficult to root out. So I would feel quite safe there with such garrisons, at least until he can bring multiple division force from India/China and that would take him months if at all possible. And there are Philippines to conquer as well. I see a lot of problems for Japanese on the Pacific front, which is more important as Jim Burns said.
As for possibility of counterattack, you have to assume he will and prepare accordingly. If he doesn't so much better for you.
How many PPs do you have in this scenario? And stupid question, do British ships sent home return after some time?

Post #: 566
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 6:52:34 PM   
FeurerKrieg

I say go go go. Send anything, everything to Guam or Saipan.

I see it as three scenarios -

Scen 1) Stop at Marshalls
Pacific gets reinforced by IJA units from India China, allies must wait until late 43 to have the strength to overcome dug in multiple divisions on atolls/mountain islands.

Scen 2) Go for Mariannas and fail
heavy cost in assets, but still lots of LCU's available to hold Marshalls. Allies wait until late 43 to resume offensive.

Scen 3) Go for mariannas and succeed
Airbases in Guam or Saipan very difficult to retake (mountains) and air power makes any attack on marshalls difficult.
Allied air within range of Bonin, and if PI hasn't yet fallen, then maybe it can be reinforced.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Elladan)
Post #: 567
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 6:53:29 PM   
FeurerKrieg

So, my point, is, that a loss at the mariannas or just waiting at the marshalls is about the same outcome, so why not take the chance and try for the coup de main.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 568
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 7:04:29 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 03/03/42

Good points guys...i gotta say that i'm tempted...really...
But now, you'll all excuse me but the war drives my attention back to the battles...
In China we have a HUGE problem right now...he made a great move, crossing the river between Kuikiang and Hankow with 6500 AVs...pushed me back and now he can really drive to Changsha almost unopposed...OMG!!!!! Gotta find a way to strike back or at least to save my right flank or the whole souther China will be lost very very soon... Screenshots as soon as i come home tonight...
****!!!

Today was a really bad day. Bombay fell and now a major port and AF on the west coast of India is in Jap hands...

The only good news of the day is the torpedoing of the Kongo Maru, a japanese armoured raiding-merchant at truk by SS Barracuda...

Sub attack near Truk  at 66,78

Japanese Ships
AP Kongo Maru, Torpedo hits 1,  on fire,  heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS Barracuda

Ground combat at Bombay

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 52961 troops, 341 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2036

Defending force 8380 troops, 37 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 107

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 3

Japanese max assault: 2172 - adjusted assault: 2717

Allied max defense: 88 - adjusted defense: 233

Japanese assault odds: 11 to 1 (fort level 3)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Bombay base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
293 casualties reported
Guns lost 3

Allied ground losses:
10844 casualties reported
Guns lost 25

Ground combat at 48,36

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 283405 troops, 1330 guns, 253 vehicles, Assault Value = 6512

Defending force 33883 troops, 156 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 955

Japanese max assault: 6152 - adjusted assault: 6210

Allied max defense: 722 - adjusted defense: 211

Japanese assault odds: 29 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
3767 casualties reported
Guns lost 21
Vehicles lost 5

Allied ground losses:
1829 casualties reported
Guns lost 34

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

I'm doomed...

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 569
RE: Karachi in ruins... - 1/8/2008 7:40:29 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

But d'u really think he's going to counterattack?

The more I think about it the more I think you are right. It will be very tough for him to take the Marshalls back. That being said, I say don’t go further unless your end goal is to reopen supply lines to the PI’s.

As strong as you are right now, you simply won’t have sufficient forces to hold more gains west of the Marshalls. He’ll probably bring at least 6 divisions back from India, so assume you’ll face 2-3 division landings. It’s going to take you months to dig in as engineers are short right now, so assume you are going to lose some of what you’ve taken.

Mutually supporting airfields can really make it tough for him, but as you saw at Noumea in my game, uber CAP still rules the skies in CHS. KB cleared the skies of my 200 planes and easily permitted him to sail right in and pull out the S.S.D. even though my airfield was never put out of commission. He didn’t lose a single ship in the op.

If your goal is to open a supply line to the PI’s and get half a million supplies into Manila, then I say go for it. That accomplishment alone would be worth the loss of 2 or 3 US divisions in the end. But if you’re going to try and simply grab a few more islands to the west and then stop, I say don’t go unless you’re just going to leave some Marine CD battalions behind and pull your main combat power back to the Marshalls.

You are very short of land forces right now, so don’t stretch yourself too thin unless a major strategic goal like getting half a million supplies into the Philippines can be accomplished.

What do you have defending the Hawaiian Islands right now? What happens if he does an end around from the northwest, can he take Pearl with a division or two? Don’t stick your neck out too far without protecting your rear.

Jim

Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Karachi in ruins... Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI