Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Marines HOLD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Marines HOLD!!! Page: <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Marines HOLD!!! - 3/10/2008 11:45:00 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

For what concerns Kwalajein...it will be a suicide to land there Jim...i don't have any division prepped for Kwalajein, but anyway i'd need a whole army to get rid of 40.000 Japanese!!! Jim...11 units, 42,320 men spotted, 400 guns...no way i'm going to impale my men there! Kwalajein should be almost out of supply by now. i've bombed it for months now. However i won't attack directly.

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to Gen.Hoepner)
Post #: 1471
PSYCH WARFARE - 3/10/2008 1:39:56 PM   
ny59giants

Yes GH, you are playing a game that involves a lot of psych warfare (I'm a professional counselor, so I'm pretty good about it) on the part of your opponent. He uses those para drops and other game mechanic loopholes to try to get you to do something extremely stupid out of frustration. He has sent KB with Zeros replacing his Vals to try to get you to respond. Thankfully, you fell for that only once.

Now that KB is out in force, he will try to use that and his more modern BBs to get you to attack (or as Jin B has said, not retreat when that is the best option long term). It is hard for an Allied player to be patient through most of '42. Be mentally prepared to lose all of your gains in the Marshalls. The only saving factor for you is the low amount of Political Points in CHS. With the fall of Luzon, finally, he will probably use them to take back these islands.

KUDOS!!

Post #: 1472
RE: PSYCH WARFARE - 3/10/2008 2:20:10 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Yes GH, you are playing a game that involves a lot of psych warfare (I'm a professional counselor, so I'm pretty good about it) on the part of your opponent. He uses those para drops and other game mechanic loopholes to try to get you to do something extremely stupid out of frustration. He has sent KB with Zeros replacing his Vals to try to get you to respond. Thankfully, you fell for that only once.

Now that KB is out in force, he will try to use that and his more modern BBs to get you to attack (or as Jin B has said, not retreat when that is the best option long term). It is hard for an Allied player to be patient through most of '42. Be mentally prepared to lose all of your gains in the Marshalls. The only saving factor for you is the low amount of Political Points in CHS. With the fall of Luzon, finally, he will probably use them to take back these islands.

KUDOS!!

Take-Back the Marshalls? It will be a enormous task, even for the mighty Japan. I have at least 600 AVs in every island there, with arty, AA, CD guns and such...forts...it will be a slaughter if he tries to land there!
If i was him i'd place all those divisions everywhere in the pacific, so to stop every single future advance of mine...
Ok, i'll retreat my assets from Eniwetok. Will leave there only few AKs and the PTs. The bulk of my air force will move back to Wake and to the Marshalls. At Eniwetok will remain only 32 beauforts, 30 Avengers, 30 Vindicators, some 50 SDBs, 24 P.38Fs, 48 Wildcats and 100 P-40Es, plus the catalinas and the Conrados. The 4Es and the Hudsons will be moved back to Maloelap.
I'll have to face the fall of Ponape...i'll try to reinforce as much as i can in the next days with my Dakotas...but i doubt it will be enough considering that the base is still ruined, so no forts can be built...

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1473
RE: PSYCH WARFARE - 3/10/2008 2:45:32 PM   
String

I also assume you're gonna pack the area with submarines, move 2-3 atleast into eniwetok hex, and the rest into the approaches. Do you have any torp armed CL's in the area? An omahaha class perhaps?

You should have surplus destroyers so losing a CL and 4 dessies for a chance of torpedoes in the japanese ships and the reduction of the bombardment efficiency will be worth it in my opinion. Ofcourse if you can't afford to lose those assets then don't. Also divide some of your AK's into single ship TF's. That will deplete his ammo even further.

Post #: 1474
RE: PSYCH WARFARE - 3/10/2008 3:20:46 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gen.Hoepner
Take-Back the Marshalls? It will be a enormous task, even for the mighty Japan.

I agree, but he has to try. No way can Japan survive until 1945 with the US in full control of the Marshall Islands starting in 1942. If he allows that, then that means the first counter-attacks of 1943 will be going after the inner perimeter bases. You’ll be hitting the Philippines before 1943 is over and B-29’s will reduce Japan to ashes by the end of 1944 if he allows that to happen. He either has to sink all your starting carriers or he has to take back or nullify the Marshalls, he has no choice.

By nullify I mean prevent you from using them as a staging point to launch invasions towards the Marianas. The only way he can do that long term is to grab some bases within land based air range of all the Marshall Islands and keep your supply ships out via sinking them with his Betty’s.

This is very hard to achieve if not impossible as your strength is going to grow from here on out. But he knows this, so he also knows the longer he waits to try and take them back the harder it will become. So expect an attack soon.

Now I tend to agree it will be very hard for him to take the Islands east and southeast of Kwajalein because they can support each other, but Eniwetok is isolated and he can easily keep it that way by keeping KB at Truk until Ponape can support medium bombers.

After that he’ll do to Eniwetok what you’ve done to Kwajalein and eventually he’ll bring the Luzon force over and dump it on the island. Unlike Japan, allied units surrender easily when out of supply, so I doubt you can hold it long term.

But it will be a very long campaign for him to reduce it, so don’t just leave. Make sure you’ve got fragments of the units there in the west coast so you can eventually rebuild them after they get destroyed. Then get as much supply into the island as you can if you get another chance to run a supply convoy or two.

If he allows you to get a level 3 airfield up and running at Bikini, then you may well be able to keep Eniwetok indefinitely, as you can then begin a transport aircraft chain to fly supplies from the eastern islands through Bikini on to Eniwetok. If you can manage to put that operation together then you will be able to hold it indefinitely I think. Assuming he doesn’t bring his 25,000 AV there next after China of course.

Jim

Post #: 1475
RE: PSYCH WARFARE - 3/10/2008 3:51:45 PM   
witpqs

I don't fully understand - are you pulling your 4E bombers out of Eniwetok?

If you can get the airfield at Ponape up and running, you just might do some damage - you make the whole deal a harder slog for him. Attack bombers on Bikini is a must to reinforce Eniwetok.

I think it would be a big mistake to break your ground strength on Kwajalein. Just keep training aircraft there. Send bombers as high as they can go to avoid the flak - who cares about the damage they do? Just get experience for them.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 1476
RE: PSYCH WARFARE - 3/10/2008 3:52:43 PM   
ny59giants

The reason I said the Marshalls was he is heavily engaged in India and China. He has not made a move towards northern Oz, SE New Guinea, or the Solomons. Thus, that was the only logical place left to attack.

I would feel more confident in my assessment if, and when, he launches sub or para attacks on some of your bases to find out how strong you are.

Post #: 1477
RE: PSYCH WARFARE - 3/10/2008 5:23:45 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

I also assume you're gonna pack the area with submarines, move 2-3 atleast into eniwetok hex, and the rest into the approaches. Do you have any torp armed CL's in the area? An omahaha class perhaps?

You should have surplus destroyers so losing a CL and 4 dessies for a chance of torpedoes in the japanese ships and the reduction of the bombardment efficiency will be worth it in my opinion. Ofcourse if you can't afford to lose those assets then don't. Also divide some of your AK's into single ship TF's. That will deplete his ammo even further.

Yes, more than 20 subs are guarding the approaches at Ponape and Eniwetok and 4 subs are stationing at Eniwetok.

That was my original Idea String, to use some of the older CLs armed with torpedoes in the last attempt of defending my base. Problem is that i checked their exp ratings...at night they suck, litterally...however i may give 'em a try
The single AK tactic has been banned by our HRs due to his complaining about it during the Indian campaign...

(in reply to String)
Post #: 1478
RE: PSYCH WARFARE - 3/10/2008 5:30:47 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

quote:

Take-Back the Marshalls? It will be a enormous task, even for the mighty Japan.

I agree, but he has to try. No way can Japan survive until 1945 with the US in full control of the Marshall Islands starting in 1942. If he allows that, then that means the first counter-attacks of 1943 will be going after the inner perimeter bases. You’ll be hitting the Philippines before 1943 is over and B-29’s will reduce Japan to ashes by the end of 1944 if he allows that to happen. He either has to sink all your starting carriers or he has to take back or nullify the Marshalls, he has no choice.

By nullify I mean prevent you from using them as a staging point to launch invasions towards the Marianas. The only way he can do that long term is to grab some bases within land based air range of all the Marshall Islands and keep your supply ships out via sinking them with his Betty’s.

This is very hard to achieve if not impossible as your strength is going to grow from here on out. But he knows this, so he also knows the longer he waits to try and take them back the harder it will become. So expect an attack soon.

Now I tend to agree it will be very hard for him to take the Islands east and southeast of Kwajalein because they can support each other, but Eniwetok is isolated and he can easily keep it that way by keeping KB at Truk until Ponape can support medium bombers.

After that he’ll do to Eniwetok what you’ve done to Kwajalein and eventually he’ll bring the Luzon force over and dump it on the island. Unlike Japan, allied units surrender easily when out of supply, so I doubt you can hold it long term.

But it will be a very long campaign for him to reduce it, so don’t just leave. Make sure you’ve got fragments of the units there in the west coast so you can eventually rebuild them after they get destroyed. Then get as much supply into the island as you can if you get another chance to run a supply convoy or two.

If he allows you to get a level 3 airfield up and running at Bikini, then you may well be able to keep Eniwetok indefinitely, as you can then begin a transport aircraft chain to fly supplies from the eastern islands through Bikini on to Eniwetok. If you can manage to put that operation together then you will be able to hold it indefinitely I think. Assuming he doesn’t bring his 25,000 AV there next after China of course.

Jim

Well Jim...it will be interesting if he tries. I feel rather confident in the Marshalls with all those mutal supporting AFs, full of forts, supplies and men.
Eniwetok doesn't risk to be invaded in the nearby future imho. He can suppress it, as u pointed out, but for how long? He needs the KB fully operating there for un unlimited time to keep Eniwetok closed...i don't think he can efford that. Eniwetok has 70,000 supplies right now, but more 100,000 are enroute from PH and Maloelap...
I'm starting a mining campaign using Wake as a starting base (MLE just arrived), in order to make him pay every moves he makes here (well..not that my mines are really effective...at Karachi i've been laying sub mines for ages now and not a single hit has occurred to his daily bombing runs with CAs and BBs...)

However guys...if he attacks...that's what i was looking for anyway...attrition...so i will get what i was looking for i think... I need some luck here...a good dice and roll..

Post #: 1479
RE: The Marines HOLD!!! - 3/10/2008 7:13:14 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/14/42

Just the combat report guys cause i'm at work.
The KB keeps on lingering moving up and down 3/5 hexes north of Ponape...while at Truk a HUGE mass of TFs are assembling...
KB still interdics my Dakotas with LRCAP over Ponape...3 of them are shot down while trying to deliver more marines and supplies there... Those brave marines know they're facing a certain death...their task is to force Japan to maximise its losses...what a sad fate for those iron guys...
Anyway, Eniwetok's harbour has been emptied, a part from few aux ships and the PTs.

In China another shock attack of his Armoured corp...and guess what? para drops over Chungking and Chengtu forced the retreating army to move towards Kumming, while preventing the Army south of Chungking of moving...better not even to look anymore at China...it just drives me mad.

Finally also the Canadian decided to partecipate to this war. The first canadian air wings arrived at Wake Island.32 Kittihakws and 16 hurricanes...nothing special but i desperately need aircrafts with a decent pool!!! 3 More Canadian Catalinas squadrons are arriving to PH within the next week...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Kwajalein , at 81,84

Allied aircraft
OS2U-3 Kingfisher x 4
B-25C Mitchell x 63
B-26B Marauder x 46

Allied aircraft losses
B-25C Mitchell: 1 damaged
B-26B Marauder: 2 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
33 casualties reported

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 41,32 *Jap Tank Army*

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 31716 troops, 18 guns, 874 vehicles, Assault Value = 885

Defending force 34828 troops, 124 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 810

Japanese max assault: 1510 - adjusted assault: 951

Allied max defense: 616 - adjusted defense: 109

Japanese assault odds: 8 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
668 casualties reported
Guns lost 3
Vehicles lost 40

Allied ground losses:
3170 casualties reported
Guns lost 29
Vehicles lost 2

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!...towards Kumming

Ground combat at Chungking *para drop*

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 47 troops, 1 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2

Defending force 83769 troops, 549 guns, 8 vehicles, Assault Value = 1537

Japanese max assault: 2 - adjusted assault: 0

Allied max defense: 1614 - adjusted defense: 5177

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 8)

Japanese ground losses:
15 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Ground combat at Chengtu *para drop*

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 139 troops, 1 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 6

Defending force 12208 troops, 71 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 322

Japanese max assault: 8 - adjusted assault: 0

Allied max defense: 350 - adjusted defense: 383

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 4)

Japanese ground losses:
46 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Post #: 1480
RE: The Marines HOLD!!! - 3/10/2008 7:16:49 PM   
Speedysteve

quote:

In China another shock attack of his Armoured corp...and guess what? para drops over Chungking and Chengtu forced the retreating army to move towards Kumming, while preventing the Army south of Chungking of moving...better not even to look anymore at China...it just drives me mad.

Why do you put with this GH?

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

Post #: 1481
RE: PSYCH WARFARE - 3/10/2008 9:04:09 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

Yes, more than 20 subs are guarding the approaches at Ponape and Eniwetok and 4 subs are stationing at Eniwetok.

That was my original Idea String, to use some of the older CLs armed with torpedoes in the last attempt of defending my base. Problem is that i checked their exp ratings...at night they suck, litterally...however i may give 'em a try
The single AK tactic has been banned by our HRs due to his complaining about it during the Indian campaign...

Sorry i've tried kept my peace till now, Let me see. He's using every gamey hook and cheat in the game and he has the nerve to complain about single AK blockade runners ? ( a practice that was used historically in some places). Ohh i'll drop 5 men into a Chinese city and stop 40,000 men moving out and thats acceptable.

Kudos on your patience. I Really want you to kick his scrawny butt back to Japan.

<rant mode off> apologies

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

Post #: 1482
RE: PSYCH WARFARE - 3/10/2008 9:46:14 PM   
hades1001

GH, why don't tell troll to stop the small unit attack?

As swift as wind;
As calm as wood;
Invasion like flames;
Defense like rocks.

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 1483
RE: PSYCH WARFARE - 3/10/2008 10:11:28 PM   
treespider

Nice thing is much of this trickeration will be done away with in AE. Units will keep moving even if attacked and can even move from one occupied hex to the next presuming they control the requisite hexsides. The paradrops will accomplish nothing other than placing a japanese unit in the hex and they would not control any hexsides and won't be able to retreat until they were the sole unit in the hex.

Hopefully Troll will be gracious enough to offer a rematch when AE arrives...

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to hades1001)
Post #: 1484
RE: PSYCH WARFARE - 3/10/2008 11:12:10 PM   
jumper

quote:

ORIGINAL: hades1001

GH, why don't tell troll to stop the small unit attack?

As GH already posted, he will get the responce that he is like a small child who doens´t like loosing..

And btw it is already too late IMO. If he stops now, what good it will bring? Maybe less frustratin, but China is a total mess already, Manila is out of supplies..
IMO it is better to accept it now and hope the game will not end once the same tricks will be used against him.

(in reply to hades1001)
Post #: 1485
RE: PSYCH WARFARE - 3/11/2008 12:17:39 AM   
Fishbed

I can see only two possibilities: GH is either gay and he's in love with Troll; or maybe he owes him a damn great deal of money. In both cases don't expect him to admit the obvious truth, the Italian macho is way too proud for that!

(in reply to jumper)
Post #: 1486
RE: PSYCH WARFARE - 3/11/2008 1:49:26 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

Haedes, i don't ask him anymore because he pretty knows what these para attacks cause. If he feels ok with them, i won't ask him to stop. The last time i asked him not to para-drop in non-bases hex he got almost mad at me and treated me like a child who doesn't wanna lose. So i'll rely upon his sense of fairness and that's all.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/15/42

However, maybe our prayers have been listened...or somebody who reads this thread gave a word to Troll...or maybe it was just the stormy weather...however no para-drops this turn and almost 1400 AVs managed to enter at Chungking!, bringing the total amount of AVs to 2800...which is not bad considering that the hex is urban and that we have 8 forts there. Still 4 units didn't move further enough...maybe tomorrow if the weather (or the Troll's sense of fairness) will smile upon us.

In the pacific the situation is pretty stable. As you can see from the screenshot, the Kb has returned to Truk...i bet the next time it comes out it will escort a HUGE invasion TF towards Ponape. I'll do my best to make him pay the price. Marines are keeping on flowing to the little pacific rock of Ponape. The first regiment of the 2nd USMC div is getting positioned there, relieving the marine raiders which are in a terrible shape...
more 155mm guns are being brought by fast transports...hope they can get ashore safely this time without hitting any mine...using only DMSs for this task now...

The second front is being opening. Noumea is springing with troops. As soon as we're ready we'll start taking back the solomons and reinforcing PM.

At Karachi we're thinking again about a RN raid...it will be feasilble in your opinion? It will be worth? ...sending the RN back to the pacific, forcing the blockade?...2 more AIF divisions will worth like gold in Oz in the next months...

Day Air attack on Kwajalein , at 81,84

Allied aircraft
OS2U-3 Kingfisher x 5
B-25C Mitchell x 57
B-26B Marauder x 41

Allied aircraft losses
B-25C Mitchell: 1 damaged
B-26B Marauder: 5 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 78

Day Air attack on Maizuru 2nd SNLF, at 73,80 *at Ponape*

Allied aircraft
P-40B Tomahawk x 12
B-17E Fortress x 61

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
37 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9
G3M Nell x 6
Ki-49 Helen x 109

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 1 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 1 destroyed, 23 damaged

Allied ground losses:
93 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Airbase hits 20
Airbase supply hits 7
Runway hits 62

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 1487
RE: The Marines HOLD!!! - 3/11/2008 1:55:26 AM   
mdiehl

quote:

The paradrops will accomplish nothing other than placing a japanese unit in the hex and they would not control any hexsides and won't be able to retreat until they were the sole unit in the hex.

One hopes that AE will further punish such antics with the annihilation of the small units that make such attacks, and paras that drop unsupported into interior hexes in China.

quote:

Ground combat at Chungking *para drop*

Japanese Shock attack

Allied max defense: 1614 - adjusted defense: 5177

Japanese ground losses:
15 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Ground combat at Chengtu *para drop*

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 139 troops, 1 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 6

Defending force 12208 troops, 71 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 322

Japanese max assault: 8 - adjusted assault: 0

Allied max defense: 350 - adjusted defense: 383

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 4)

Japanese ground losses:
46 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

The outcome of those paradrops should have been something like this:

[Ground combat at Chungking *para drop*]

Japanese Shock attack
Generalissmo Chiang thanks you for your donation to the Kuomintang's war arsenal!
Chinese troops buoyant over victory! 10 EXP gained!

< Message edited by mdiehl -- 3/11/2008 2:01:07 AM >

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

Post #: 1488
RE: PSYCH WARFARE - 3/11/2008 1:55:56 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishbed

I can see only two possibilities: GH is either gay and he's in love with Troll; or maybe he owes him a damn great deal of money. In both cases don't expect him to admit the obvious truth, the Italian macho is way too proud for that!

Actually i don't owe him any money...so what's was your first guess, honey?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 1489
RE: The Marines HOLD!!! - 3/11/2008 2:19:36 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdiehl

The outcome of those paradrops should have been something like this:

[Ground combat at Chungking *para drop*]

Japanese Shock attack
Generalissmo Chiang thanks you for your donation to the Kuomintang's war arsenal!
Chinese troops buoyant over victory! 10 EXP gained!

LOL!...yes, that should be a good outcome!

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 1490
RE: The Marines HOLD!!! - 3/11/2008 2:23:56 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

Current situation at Chungking

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1491
RE: The Marines HOLD!!! - 3/11/2008 2:50:38 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

Current situation at Chungking

At this point you need to get every rear area unit behind the lines killed ASAP so they’ll reappear in Chungking in time to prevent the cities fall. So attack him, then attack him again and then attack some more.

It’ll wear your troops down fast and hopefully result in their demise and it’ll also force Japan to use a lot of supplies.

If your units are cut off without hope, shock attack anything that moves every chance you get.

Jim

Post #: 1492
RE: The Marines HOLD!!! - 3/11/2008 6:04:12 AM   
ny59giants

30 days after your Chinese units die, they show up at Chungking at 1/3 strength. Got to get some of them killed for the overall good.

Post #: 1493
RE: The Marines HOLD!!! - 3/11/2008 6:41:45 AM   
Fishbed

When I read about the upcoming fate of my beloved Chinese fellows, sent in droves to death for the sake of the Great Capital, I cry inside.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1494
RE: The Marines HOLD!!! - 3/11/2008 11:23:13 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/16/42

Well, i guess it was just the bad weather that prevented him from using the paras over chungking last day.
Today the paras arrived again and so stopped the last 5 units that are struggling to get to Chungking.
jim, i'm forcing the shock attacks everywhere in the Hangchow pocket but none of my units get destroyed...he's very smart and knows the rules of the game, so he's not looking nowhere to destroy my units...he simply pockets them and let them starve...

In the pacific, our DMS Fast transport managed to bring some more marines to Ponape. The base is repairing very slowly, but however the marines garrison is growing stronger every day.

The Kb still lingers at truk, refueling and embarking more planes for sure.
The first 16 canadian hurricanes arrived at Eniwetok, while more 250 mines were laid today at the base.

TF 1192 encounters mine field at Ponape (73,80)

Allied Ships
DMS Boggs
DMS Trevor
DMS Zane
DMS Hopkins

We managed to unload at night and by the first light of the day we were safely back to Eniwetok
Naval bombardment of Karachi, at 21,3

Japanese Ships
CA Mogami
CA Nachi
CA Myoko
CA Atago

Allied ground losses:
1089 casualties reported
Guns lost 32

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 10
Port hits 1
Port supply hits 1

Ground combat at Chungking

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 92 troops, 2 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3

Defending force 124597 troops, 701 guns, 8 vehicles, Assault Value = 2715

Japanese max assault: 0 - adjusted assault: 0

Allied max defense: 2691 - adjusted defense: 7093

Japanese ground losses:
21 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 1495
RE: The Marines HOLD!!! - 3/11/2008 11:39:33 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/17/42

Another day of waiting...
The KB comes out with the "classic" formation. A Huge CVTF plus 2 strong SCTFs, positioning herself 3 hexes NW of Ponape. Our subs are filling the area, forcing him to move constantly up and down to avoid the risk of a lucky fish... a single AK (one of those who were damaged during the last KB raid), managed in the last 2 days to unload, unspotted, 1000 supplies at Ponape. Today the Kates of the KB caught him, but his sacrifice was very important.

At the same time two jap subs (one new Ponape and one near Kwalajein) were badly hit by my ASW air patrols, while none of my subs, despite the furious attacks made by the KB's airwings, were hit.

Everything is ready to welcome the KB at Eniwetok. All my fighters are at 50% Escort, 4 hexes, and all my bombers are set to 4 hexes, naval attacks, at different altitudes (from 5.000 to 28.000 fts!).
The Surface TF is ready. 3 old CL (armed with torpedoes) are escorted by 7 DDs. Plus we have 2 PT TFs and 1300 mines. 23 subs are filling the waters around Eniwetok.

Ponape Garrison has by now 113 AVs. Most of them are from the first regiment of the 2nd USMC Div. Those guys are fully prepped for Ponape, so they should provide a stiff defence. The 8th Marine CD unit is growing stronger. Now 5 155mm guns are operative on the island, along with 30 AA batteries.

In China...guess what? Para drops
Day Air attack on TF, near Ponape at 73,80

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 15

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AK Toradja, Torpedo hits 3,  on fire,  heavy damage *sinks*

Ground combat at Chungking

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 35 troops, 2 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2

Defending force 124669 troops, 703 guns, 8 vehicles, Assault Value = 2721

Allied max defense: 2436 - adjusted defense: 6049

Japanese ground losses:
20 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Post #: 1496
RE: The Marines HOLD!!! - 3/11/2008 12:16:25 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

Still i have to decide what to do with the RN...i don't see how i can threat him directly in india with only 3 brit CVs...while, at the same time those will be extremely valuable in the Pacific...but the voyage is extremely risky and the ultimate result will be the loss of a HUGE amount of PPs.... any suggestion?

Post #: 1497
RE: The Marines HOLD!!! - 3/11/2008 12:43:18 PM   
jumper

If he would split his KB and operate those parts separately, joined US/RN CVs could hold their ground against them, but at the current circumstances it will make nearly no difference IMO. You can´t fight against full KB yet and RN CVs will not change it. You won´t be threat for him until corsair arrives, if he will keep KB together..

BUT have you consider moving US and RN CVs to Perth instead of only british CVs to Pacific? What about a raid on Palembang or Java? As it looks now, you can´t use US CVs anyway in Truk area while KB is around.. And KB is not tied to this theater because of your CVs, so you can use them elsewhere. Take it as oportunity. Now you know, where KB is (with good part of LBA) and it means all other places are open to raid.. Or if you think Perth is too far away, you can make much shorter trip and raid his supply lines west of Wake. Hit and run..

Post #: 1498
RE: PSYCH WARFARE - 3/11/2008 12:46:34 PM   
Speedysteve

quote:

The last time i asked him not to para-drop in non-bases hex he got almost mad at me and treated me like a child who doesn't wanna lose. So i'll rely upon his sense of fairness and that's all.

Err right. Sense of fairness. Sorry mate but this kind of stuff infuriates me. A certain irony him getting mad at you for him doing something gamey!

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

Post #: 1499
RE: The Marines HOLD!!! - 3/11/2008 12:48:02 PM   
Mistmatz

quote:

Still i have to decide what to do with the RN...i don't see how i can threat him directly in india with only 3 brit CVs...while, at the same time those will be extremely valuable in the Pacific...but the voyage is extremely risky and the ultimate result will be the loss of a HUGE amount of PPs.... any suggestion?

Why would the RN in the Pac cost you PP?
Personally I doubt you would look for a carrier battle in the pacific anyway, so there is no need for the RN there. If in turn you are able to get the KB into a traveling mode between IO and Pac the japanese will burn huge amounts of fuel for nothing. But this of course means some serious action on the other end of the map that makes him want KB there...

Post #: 1500
Page:   <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Marines HOLD!!! Page: <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI