Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Red Sox World Series Champs of 2007

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Red Sox World Series Champs of 2007 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Red Sox World Series Champs of 2007 - 10/29/2007 7:31:27 AM   
Tallini54

Champs Again! Red Sox Sweep World Series as the read in Comcast.net news ... Congratulation to the accomplishment of the players, management, and the support of the fans ... we did it, Shaun! ... Lets go down and celebrate at the Copper Kettles off of rt 9 ... again let bow our hats to the Rockies as well ... and to the rest of the Major League teams ... Looking forward to another chapter of Baseball Pastime 2008 ... whose next??

Red Sox Fan since 1967
Post #: 1
RE: Red Sox World Series Champs of 2007 - 10/29/2007 6:39:28 PM   
PadresFan104

It might be just me, but the Red Sox are becoming the new Yankees.  If you are not from Boston, how can you root for a team with a ~$140 million dollar payroll, the second highest in baseball??    I mean, congrats Boston and all, but no big accomplishment...

signed - a bitter Padres fan...

PadresFan's Text Sim Mod Website: http://www.padresfanmods.net
Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/padresfanmods

(in reply to Tallini54)
Post #: 2
RE: Red Sox World Series Champs of 2007 - 10/30/2007 1:07:41 AM   
KG Erwin

Not to worry, Al. Within a couple of years the players will guarantee the dismantlement of the Sox by making exorbitant contract demands, and we will see yet another mini-dynasty emerge. That's the way the owners want it.

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 3
RE: Red Sox World Series Champs of 2007 - 10/30/2007 3:00:19 AM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: PadresFan104

It might be just me, but the Red Sox are becoming the new Yankees.  If you are not from Boston, how can you root for a team with a ~$140 million dollar payroll, the second highest in baseball??    I mean, congrats Boston and all, but no big accomplishment...

signed - a bitter Padres fan...

Wow, talk about sour grapes :)

A LOT of teams spend money. The Sox are built to last.

Shaun

Developer, PureSim Baseball

Post #: 4
RE: Red Sox World Series Champs of 2007 - 10/30/2007 3:40:09 AM   
PadresFan104

Sure, a lot of teams spend money, but at least there is a nice smooth increase from teams 1-28.  The jump for the Sox and Yankees is nuts.  While most teams are only a million or less away from the payroll below them, the Sox are $30 million higher than the Mets and the Yankees are $40 higher than the Sox.

I love the idea of the Red Sox, their history, their rivalary with the Yankees, etc.  What I don't like is that they had to run up their payroll, like only the Yankees had done before them, to become the better team.  Sort of like they stooped to the Yankees level of business ethics, and simply bought a couple of championships.  When I look at it like that, I think, "big deal."  That's why I was rooting for the Rockies, and why I love it when the lower payroll teams (like the Marlins) win.  Those Championships mean so much more since they weren't expected to win it all when Spring Training started.

I've never seen PureSim create disparities like this, is it even possible for the CPU AI to let this happen?

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 5
RE: Red Sox World Series Champs of 2007 - 10/30/2007 3:47:10 AM   
galaril

quote:

ORIGINAL: PadresFan104

Sure, a lot of teams spend money, but at least there is a nice smooth increase from teams 1-28.  The jump for the Sox and Yankees is nuts.  While most teams are only a million or less away from the payroll below them, the Sox are $30 million higher than the Mets and the Yankees are $40 higher than the Sox.

I love the idea of the Red Sox, their history, their rivalary with the Yankees, etc.  What I don't like is that they had to run up their payroll, like only the Yankees had done before them, to become the better team.  Sort of like they stooped to the Yankees level of business ethics, and simply bought a couple of championships.  When I look at it like that, I think, "big deal."  That's why I was rooting for the Rockies, and why I love it when the lower payroll teams (like the Marlins) win.  Those Championships mean so much more since they weren't expected to win it all when Spring Training started.

I've never seen PureSim create disparities like this, is it even possible for the CPU AI to let this happen?

Though I am a Red Sox fan and am enjoying the victory it is no where as enjoyable as 2004. And I think alot of that is becuz of what you describe in your post like it or not the Sox are now the YANKEES!

Post #: 6
RE: Red Sox World Series Champs of 2007 - 10/30/2007 4:27:16 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

quote:

That's why I was rooting for the Rockies, and why I love it when the lower payroll teams (like the Marlins) win.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

Post #: 7
RE: Red Sox World Series Champs of 2007 - 10/30/2007 12:02:39 PM   
redsoxfan99

QUOTE While most teams are only a million or less away from the payroll below them, the Sox are $30 million higher than the Mets and the Yankees are $40 higher than the Sox

Which if money alone bought success then the Yankees would still be winning - and of course it doesnt. And indeed would mean no small payroll team would ever get to the series. In the Uk big payroll soccer clubs do not guarantee success either, its still down to the players, management and coaching strategy etc :-)

John
UK

< Message edited by redsoxfan99 -- 10/30/2007 12:05:48 PM >

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 8
RE: Red Sox World Series Champs of 2007 - 10/30/2007 7:01:28 PM   
PadresFan104

John - the Yankees have made the playoffs the last 13 years in a row!!!  That isn't success??? Making the playoffs is a HUGE deal for most MLB teams.  Hell, stringing together multiple winning seasons is a huge deal for a lot of teams.  The Yankees have 6 Pennants and 4 World Championships in that 13 year span.  Money does not guarantee World Series Championships, (and nobody will ever argue this) but in the Yankees case, it has guaranteed winning seasons.

(in reply to redsoxfan99)
Post #: 9
RE: Red Sox World Series Champs of 2007 - 10/30/2007 7:51:18 PM   
slider15

But that is the problem, Market sizes vary. the Red Sox are a big market team. Market size is a tool and resource, so can you really fault them for using their resources? I think Baseball players are off the wall and a salary cap should be in place. I don't care how many home runs you hit, no man is worth 400 million, per what Scott Boras commented on A-Rod's expected demands.

< Message edited by slider15 -- 10/30/2007 7:52:03 PM >

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Post #: 10
RE: Red Sox World Series Champs of 2007 - 10/30/2007 8:34:54 PM   
PadresFan104

Slider - No, I don't fault them at all.  I'm sure that if I ran their business and had their resources, I would do the same thing.  Regarding the Sox, my point was strictly from a fan/purist perspective.  The Yankees and Red Sox are in a league of their own with regards to payroll, and are basically both now part of the "Evil Empire" in my mindset. Ok, maybe that's a bit harsh to Boston, but I will say that I will no longer be rooting for Boston when matched up against a team from a smaller market.

(in reply to slider15)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Red Sox World Series Champs of 2007 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI