Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question on Dynamic Campaigns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Question on Dynamic Campaigns Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on Dynamic Campaigns - 10/29/2007 4:21:22 PM   
satisfaction

I've been playing this series forever, but never really got into the dynamic campaigns. It seemed to me that every mission (only ever got about 3 in!) I faced the same opponent...but his forces were fresh every time. How does this work? Do you continue to face a full strength enemy every time? or does this fluctuate? Also is the enemy force always of a size similar to yours? I found that I knew what was coming and that seemed to take some of the fun out of it...get in his rear and kill the artillery then mop up. I knew how many guns etc... Anyone have better knowledge of how these work? I love the concept and hope my impression is just not deep enough!
Post #: 1
RE: Question on Dynamic Campaigns - 10/29/2007 8:04:38 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: satisfaction
I've been playing this series forever, but never really got into the dynamic campaigns. It seemed to me that every mission (only ever got about 3 in!) I faced the same opponent...but his forces were fresh every time. How does this work?

The Dynamic Campaigns are merely a set of "Random" Battles between specified dates.

quote:

Do you continue to face a full strength enemy every time? or does this fluctuate?

The opposing forces will always be full strength in a DCG.

quote:

Also is the enemy force always of a size similar to yours?

Unless you alter the difficulty level, then yes, they will be roughly the same size.

quote:

I found that I knew what was coming and that seemed to take some of the fun out of it...get in his rear and kill the artillery then mop up. I knew how many guns etc... Anyone have better knowledge of how these work? I love the concept and hope my impression is just not deep enough!

For more of a challenge, I would recommend playing the Linked Campaigns and then, if you feel confident with that, find a human opponent to play. The DCG's are good for practicing tactics.

Jason Petho

(in reply to satisfaction)
Post #: 2
RE: Question on Dynamic Campaigns - 10/29/2007 11:42:59 PM   
serg3d

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

quote:

Also is the enemy force always of a size similar to yours?

Unless you alter the difficulty level, then yes, they will be roughly the same size.

The relative your/enemy strength can fluctuate wildly in DCG. One battle you face enemy infantry division which arrived on battlefield piecemeal, with open flanks, while you have your full strength tank brigade in static defense line with pillboxes, bunkers, trenches, heavy ATG regiment, AA guns, and a regiment of heavy howitzers.
But the next battle it's your brigade arrive piecemeal and your face two-regiment panzer division with only one battalion of your tank, and some crappy infantry, without pillboxes, without bunkers, and your paltry amount of ATGs and howitzers will arrive in the middle of battle then supply hexes already under enemy fire, and the rest of your tanks will arrive at the end of the battle, just in time to be mowed up by enemy panzers.

quote:

quote:

I found that I knew what was coming and that seemed to take some of the fun out of it...get in his rear and kill the artillery then mop up. I knew how many guns etc... Anyone have better knowledge of how these work? I love the concept and hope my impression is just not deep enough!

For more of a challenge, I would recommend playing the Linked Campaigns and then, if you feel confident with that, find a human opponent to play. The DCG's are good for practicing tactics.

That is the question of preferences. I found Linked Campaigns easy, slow and boring. DCG are more random and have equipment upgrades.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 3
RE: Question on Dynamic Campaigns - 10/30/2007 12:22:21 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: serg3d
The relative your/enemy strength can fluctuate wildly in DCG. One battle you face enemy infantry division which arrived on battlefield piecemeal, with open flanks, while you have your full strength tank brigade in static defense line with pillboxes, bunkers, trenches, heavy ATG regiment, AA guns, and a regiment of heavy howitzers.
But the next battle it's your brigade arrive piecemeal and your face two-regiment panzer division with only one battalion of your tank, and some crappy infantry, without pillboxes, without bunkers, and your paltry amount of ATGs and howitzers will arrive in the middle of battle then supply hexes already under enemy fire, and the rest of your tanks will arrive at the end of the battle, just in time to be mowed up by enemy panzers.

There is a file that will decide what you are playing against for each battle (generally speaking) by the role of a die. While the force type will mix depending on mission type, the size of the forces will remain approximately same for those missions. If you are defending, you will face a larger force than if you are attacking.

quote:

That is the question of preferences. I found Linked Campaigns easy, slow and boring. DCG are more random and have equipment upgrades.

To each their own.

LCG's can have equipment upgrades as well, if the designer choses to do so.

Jason Petho

(in reply to serg3d)
Post #: 4
RE: Question on Dynamic Campaigns - 10/30/2007 12:31:01 AM   
serg3d

quote:

While the force type will mix depending on mission type, the size of the forces will remain approximately same for those missions. If you are defending, you will face a larger force than if you are attacking.
Jason Petho

Is force size count by formations, by amount of units SP or some by kind of force evaluation, taking into account quality of the units ? If it's by formation you can face infantry division, or one-regiment panzer division, or two-regiment panzer division. Formation rank is the same, but the real strength is quite different. Even with the same amount of tanks it could be all Pz-38(t), or mix of Pz-IIIG, Pz-IVD - again quite diffrenet strength.
BTW I like this randomness.
I have couple of question:
Do player losses accounted for in battle setup - that is if my losses are big do I get more auxiliaries ?
Do AI units also have reinforcement schedule, or arrive all at once ?

< Message edited by serg3d -- 10/30/2007 12:36:11 AM >

Post #: 5
RE: Question on Dynamic Campaigns - 10/30/2007 12:33:15 AM   
Warhorse

I usually end up editing the particular scenario in the DCG, adding more units for the enemy, etc.

Mike

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Post #: 6
RE: Question on Dynamic Campaigns - 10/30/2007 12:50:28 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

quote:

While the force type will mix depending on mission type, the size of the forces will remain approximately same for those missions. If you are defending, you will face a larger force than if you are attacking.
Jason Petho

Is force size count by formations, by amount of units SP or some by kind of force evaluation, taking into account quality of the units ? If it's by formation you can face infantry division, or one-regiment panzer division, or two-regiment panzer division. Formation rank is the same, but the real strength is quite different. Even with the same amount of tanks it could be all Pz-38(t), or mix of Pz-IIIG, Pz-IVD - again quite diffrenet strength.

The force selection is randomly generated from a pool of formation types, based on a die roll. The size of your core unit and the mission type will determine the size of opposing force you will face.

quote:

BTW I like this randomness.

As you've noted, understood.

quote:

I have couple of question:
Do player losses accounted for in battle setup - that is if my losses are big do I get more auxiliaries ?

No, player losses are not accounted for, only mission type.

quote:

Do AI units also have reinforcement schedule, or arrive all at once ?

It depends on the scenario type of the scenario. If the scenario has a reinforcement schedule for the opposing force, it will be randomly generated.

Jason Petho

(in reply to serg3d)
Post #: 7
RE: Question on Dynamic Campaigns - 10/30/2007 3:52:11 PM   
Bazooka Bob

In the DCG's, why can't the OPForce have a random generator for variable unit strengths.  It is can be really tough sometimes when your forces gets beat down. no matter how well you play, to go up against full strength units every time.

Don't view the situation as being outnumbered. View the situation as having a wide selection of targets to choose from.

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Question on Dynamic Campaigns Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI