Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Afrika Scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Afrika Scenario Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Afrika Scenario - 11/4/2007 3:21:00 AM   
JudgeDredd

Has anyone beaten Allied AI in the Afrika scenario.

I was just whacked. I mean, it doesn't help that you can't "help" production/reinforcements because they are allocated in that scenario, so you are left with what you are given.

But I have had my ass handed to me twice...not getting very far towards the Allied side at all before being pushed back.

Alba gu' brath
Post #: 1
RE: Afrika Scenario - 11/4/2007 3:54:02 AM   
Willburn

Yes on normal ai twice. Gonna try it on AI + later. Basically you need to drive forward from the beginning because allies will just get stronger and stronger the longer the scenario lasts. Make infantery squads in the middle while using mobile tank/armored car squads on the flanks and flank portions at a time of theyre army. This will cause them to loose supply and readiness and be an easy target for you to kill with the infantery in the middle.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
RE: Afrika Scenario - 11/4/2007 4:05:56 AM   
darrellb9

I got whacked as the Allies in my first game but won quite easily as the Axis in my next game. Both against just the regular AI.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 3
RE: Afrika Scenario - 11/4/2007 6:26:02 AM   
zhu_kov

alright , will give a try now ..cheers 

(in reply to darrellb9)
Post #: 4
RE: Afrika Scenario - 11/4/2007 6:35:38 AM   
Willburn

1942 23 november victory as allies on normal ai. I was goofing around with fortresses instead of sending everything forward for an earlier victory. Wonder how fast it can be done. Btw it would be really cool if you could get a high score with the date you finished a scenario, it would add soooo much replayability to each scenario as you could compete against yourself!

(in reply to zhu_kov)
Post #: 5
RE: Afrika Scenario - 11/4/2007 2:01:31 PM   
Herode_2

Is it the North Afrika scenario you're talking about ? I've just finished it with Axis against standard IA, wich was was badly beaten and eliminated in november 1942. I found this scenario far too easy with the Axis side. Even against IA++ I guess this will not really change the odds since the IA strategy is not suited at all for the Allied side in this scenario : the IA is extremely agressive when the Allies should first defend and stand firm on solid and well supplied defense lines, then counter-attack on weakened Axis troops. The IA tries to move in my rear areas in order to circle my units and cut them from their lines but it does so through desert when I control the roads, hence all its attacks ended as a bloody defeat. Moreover, the IA often attacks againsts the odds, and that obviously leads to some slaughtering... I think this scenario shall be more challenging playing Allies againts bonused IA.

< Message edited by Herode2 -- 11/4/2007 2:03:24 PM >

(in reply to Willburn)
Post #: 6
RE: Afrika Scenario - 11/4/2007 4:08:15 PM   
Ande

since there are no production in this scenario a 250% AI productionbunus does very litte, It is possible to give a side a bonus before you start

(in reply to Herode_2)
Post #: 7
RE: Afrika Scenario - 11/4/2007 5:27:47 PM   
jeggett

Found it a tad easy on standard AI setting.. was only my second game too.

I just kept leapfrogging the allied units with armour and let the inf mop up. Worked all the way to Cario.

I do wish there was a better text for a win. Idealy if the scenario designer could edit the win text depending on the magnitude of the win.. Allows for some colour, ya know, "Congrats, Axis forces reach the Suez which in turn brings Turkey into the war" or "Allies destroy DAK, Sicily landings take place 6 months early than historic"... That kinda stuff. Something that makes you want to see the fluff at the end.

(in reply to Ande)
Post #: 8
RE: Afrika Scenario - 11/9/2007 12:47:43 AM   
SlowHand

In my first game currntly, playing against CW on AI+ (which gives the Allies some extra replacements every turn), and as of December, 1941, the Axis forces are almost at El Alamein, and I feel pretty sure (having just decimated the SA and NZ Reinforcements) that I'll be in Alexandria in 2-3 more turns.

It could have been luck. I basically just pushed the Panzers through the coast defenses, and sent the Italians South to block and attack a few weak Commonwealth units. I left that flank open a bit. In response, the AI sent several units _and_ the 8th Army HQ around the south flank, apparently thinking they could cut me off. Instead this group of units and the HQ were easily isolated and destroyed after about 4 turns.

I was very aggressive with the German and Italian Mech forces, though I always used air strikes on any kind of Forces with strengths >20 or so, especially if their Readiness were greater than about 50-60. I tended to keep them 2-3 hexes apart (which allowed me to "spot" CW units coming to the front)  as I sprinted through to the Gazala-Tobruk area, which isolated the Benghazi bend units. I encountered a few CW newly formed units and a few CW reinforcements, but they were being rushed forward piecemeal, and were easily defeated. This strategy was predicated on what I remeber from my History reading, that the CW shouldn't be getting substantial new Reinforcements until July-August, +/-.

I left the Arty and the Italian Foot to kill off the isolated group south. But I never attacked unless I was sure the Italians would win ... this improved their Morale and Experience.  I then moved a few of them north to kill off the Benghazi units, and the rest as sort of a slowly plodding (3 hexes-a-turn) "Refused" Southern Flank.

Other things: at probably some risk, I displaced the PzrArmeeAfrika HQ and Air Units (especially) forward to ensure adequate supply. If you move Air units first, they often will still have enough APs to get in a decent strike.

From Italian Replacements (around turns 4 and 7, +/-), I made 2 new "Recon Units" from Ita Armoured cars (2x) and 10 Inf, which were very useful alongside and just south of the spearhead in scouting CW units that were coming forward.

Another thing: I very rarely sent replacements to my "elite" units ... just Infantry when they got down to around 10-12 --- because I didn't want to dilute Experience and Readiness. This allowed me to transfer 3 Trucks from my various Mech units back to HQs, which seemed to help with supply distribution (2/3 of any surplus at Highest HQ was transferred to PAA HQ).

I also only sent Ita Rifle replacements to Ita Foot after they had fought, and if it seemed likely they wouldn't be engaged for several turns ... which allowed their Exp and Morale to "recover."

I'll see what happens next time, but from reading the other posts, I suspect those having trouble vs CW AI are not being aggressive enough, and perhaps are worrying too much about a continuous front and such. Once I broke through, I never left the CW AI+ an opportunity to form a decent defensive line. Against a Human, I suspect I'd have had a few armoured spearheads broken off.

(in reply to jeggett)
Post #: 9
RE: Afrika Scenario - 11/9/2007 12:55:59 PM   
PDiFolco

Hmm, those kind of non-prod scens could have "action cards" that'll allow a solo player to give more units to the AI. It may be relatively easy to do, I'll have a look.

(in reply to SlowHand)
Post #: 10
RE: Afrika Scenario - 11/9/2007 2:00:53 PM   
leastonh1

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Phew, at least I'm in good company hehe! Not me. I've been slaughtered once and am not going to try again just yet. It was a bit of a shock for me to lose to decisively, considering I'm such a grognard!!!

< Message edited by Jim_H -- 11/9/2007 2:02:07 PM >

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 11
RE: Afrika Scenario - 11/9/2007 2:53:14 PM   
Pergite!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim_H

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Phew, at least I'm in good company hehe! Not me. I've been slaughtered once and am not going to try again just yet. It was a bit of a shock for me to lose to decisively, considering I'm such a grognard!!!

My key factors was a aggression and to make good and carefull use of the lower morale (italian) units. I do however in my game belive that the AI mishandled his Air Force, something that made me win very comfortable. I was only engaged one single time by Allied AI Air-units, and that was when I allready where crossing into Egypt... Anyone else that have encountered the same behaviour?

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 12
RE: Afrika Scenario - 11/9/2007 3:34:32 PM   
leastonh1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pergite!
My key factors was a aggression and to make good and carefull use of the lower morale (italian) units. I do however in my game belive that the AI mishandled his Air Force, something that made me win very comfortable. I was only engaged one single time by Allied AI Air-units, and that was when I allready where crossing into Egypt... Anyone else that have encountered the same behaviour?

I suppose I do play a fairly cautious game. That's especially true on the larger maps. I've read somewhere recently (I think it was a commentary about Montgomery, but my memory isn't what it used to be!) that us Brits tended to be seen as cautious strategists during WWII. I know it's a generalisation, but it happens to still be true in my case.

Regards,
Jim

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to Pergite!)
Post #: 13
RE: Afrika Scenario - 11/9/2007 5:09:21 PM   
Pergite!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim_H

quote:

I suppose I do play a fairly cautious game. That's especially true on the larger maps. I've read somewhere recently (I think it was a commentary about Montgomery, but my memory isn't what it used to be!) that us Brits tended to be seen as cautious strategists during WWII. I know it's a generalisation, but it happens to still be true in my case.

Regards,
Jim

Well, I am from Sweden and we havent done anything aggresive for over 200 years

A suggestion is to do a quick calculation of your forces and determine when they are the strongest (considering equipment, capabilities and supplied etc) compared to the opposition. Then its up to you to try to maximise your effectivness during that time window. If you do it good enough the enemy will never recover.
Playing the Germans you usually are the strongest at the beginning of the scenario. Over time the Allies will always become stronger, so its often wise to act fast and with a clear objective.

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 14
RE: Afrika Scenario - 11/10/2007 1:45:46 AM   
SlowHand

quote:

--- snip ---

I experienced the same thing: CW AI Air was not effective at all. Plus I was able to overrun their bases twice. I think the 1.02 Beta patch might have fixed some AI routines related to Air, IIRC.

Also, your description of your winning Axis strategy is a much more concise description of what worked for me. :)

(in reply to Pergite!)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Afrika Scenario Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI