Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Letters from Iwo Jima

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Letters from Iwo Jima Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 3:09:45 PM   
martxyz

Hi Panzerjaeger Hortlund,

I do agree with much of what you said. Even so, I think you should cut Sarge some slack here, even if you do think he's changing the subject. He's still making a valid point, and in the interests of getting back on-topic, it might be better if you accepted his point and moved on.

I have epilepsy,and in Nazi Germany, I would have been a prime candidate for sterilization, and, much later, "euthanasia". Social engineering is not a good place to go. I'm a Catholic, but I wouldn't defend Magdalene Laundries or systemic child abuse. I'm British, but I wouldn't defend our hidden history of deportation of unwanted children to apalling conditions in Australia until, I think, the 1960's. No point arguing a point where you're country screwed up. I think Sweden is a great place, but it is no bastion of moral purity. I agree entirely with your earlier, and main argument, but your argument won't be strengthened by ignoring entirely some negative feedback, even if, "technically" it's not relevant.

(in reply to martxyz)
Post #: 331
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 3:11:10 PM   
Hortlund

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panzerjaeger Hortlund

I had no idea Canada did it too. Shame on Canada aswell then.

"No Idea

The Understatement of the thread

Meh

< Message edited by Panzerjaeger Hortlund -- 11/29/2007 3:16:25 PM >

The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 332
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 3:15:38 PM   
Hortlund

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mart

Hi Panzerjaeger Hortlund,

I do agree with much of what you said. Even so, I think you should cut Sarge some slack here, even if you do think he's changing the subject. He's still making a valid point, and in the interests of getting back on-topic, it might be better if you accepted his point and moved on.

I have epilepsy,and in Nazi Germany, I would have been a prime candidate for sterilization, and, much later, "euthanasia". Social engineering is not a good place to go. I'm a Catholic, but I wouldn't defend Magdalene Laundries or systemic child abuse. I'm British, but I wouldn't defend our hidden history of deportation of unwanted children to apalling conditions in Australia until, I think, the 1960's. No point arguing a point where you're country screwed up. I think Sweden is a great place, but it is no bastion of moral purity. I agree entirely with your earlier, and main argument, but your argument won't be strengthened by ignoring entirely some negative feedback, even if, "technically" it's not relevant.

Of cource we have thousands of actions in our history that I am not proud of. I fail to see the relevance of those occations to this discussion however. Especially since sarge and doggie are just looking for ways to deflect the discussion from its original topic into something else.

The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..

(in reply to martxyz)
Post #: 333
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 3:23:27 PM   
Sarge

quote:

Of cource we have thousands of actions in our history that I am not proud of. I fail to see the relevance of those occations to this discussion however. Especially since sarge and doggie are just looking for ways to deflect the discussion from its original topic into something else.

No, this is deflect the discussion

quote:

ORIGINAL: freder
My guess is that deep down, he knows the days of American global dominance are counted; China and India will take over soon. It makes him bark at the moon and everything that's not representative of that fine exquisite American high culture.

I will be more then happy to continue debating your dilution’s on Japanese humanity during the war years

WAR YEARS
being the key

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 334
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 6:57:19 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

My guess is that deep down, he knows the days of American global dominance are counted; China and India will take over soon.

Speaking as an American, I look forward to that day. We've been carrying the rest of the world's water for far too long. When the day arrives that all terrorists and totalitarians can count on the US taking no action because it might "offend" China, and when the UN won't take any action because, well, the UN doesn't take action on anything, it should be VERY interesting for people living in the circum-Mediterranean, South America, Africa, and southeast Asia.

When I'm 70 years old and looking on that day, Ima sit back on a 40 acre spread somewhere in the US, smile, nod, and maybe have some popcorn.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 335
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 7:08:30 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdiehl

quote:

My guess is that deep down, he knows the days of American global dominance are counted; China and India will take over soon.

Speaking as an American, I look forward to that day. We've been carrying the rest of the world's water for far too long. When the day arrives that all terrorists and totalitarians can count on the US taking no action because it might "offend" China, and when the UN won't take any action because, well, the UN doesn't take action on anything, it should be VERY interesting for people living in the circum-Mediterranean, South America, Africa, and southeast Asia.

When I'm 70 years old and looking on that day, Ima sit back on a 40 acre spread somewhere in the US, smile, nod, and maybe have some popcorn.

I was smiling over that same sentence; what a wonderful world it will be when the masters of Tibet and the water purification experts of the Ganges River lead the world.

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 336
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 7:15:11 PM   
Knuckles_85

quote:

quote:

And I'll bring a case of beer with me so we can laugh at all those countries in chaos that rooted for the downfall of the US.

Me: God that guy is annoying

Co-worker: What would Jesus do?

Me: I don't know set him on fire and send him to hell?

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 337
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 7:59:42 PM   
martxyz

quote:

Speaking as an American, I look forward to that day. We've been carrying the rest of the world's water for far too long.

Maybe I misunderstood. Did you mean carrying it for us so that we could use it later, or carrying it for yourselves and then taking it home with you?

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 338
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 8:08:22 PM   
mjk428

quote:

He won't answer you, as you got just 3 posts (an important issue here on the forum).

At least with the FU account. Multiply that number by several thousand for the actual amount.

quote:

You seem pleased with this thought. Good luck to you then.

quote:

It makes him bark at the moon and everything that's not representative of that fine exquisite American high culture.

More attacks from the "enlightened".

(in reply to freder)
Post #: 339
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 8:12:28 PM   
mjk428

quote:

quote:

Speaking as an American, I look forward to that day. We've been carrying the rest of the world's water for far too long.

Maybe I misunderstood. Did you mean carrying it for us so that we could use it later, or carrying it for yourselves and then taking it home with you?

A hearty Foxtrot Uniform to you. My grandfather might regret that he joined a foreign army just to help you all out in WW1. All he brought back was some shrapnel.

(in reply to martxyz)
Post #: 340
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 8:28:18 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: mjk428

quote:

He won't answer you, as you got just 3 posts (an important issue here on the forum).

At least with the FU account. Multiply that number by several thousand for the actual amount.

The old "sock puppet" trick; this just shows how arrogant these guys are. A ten year old kid would see right through their little game, but they think it smart. It displays roughly the sme level of intelligence as someone trying to compare U.S. wartime policy with institutionlized barbarism of Imperial Japan-what a joke. This is to be expected from people raised on a pabulum of anti Americanism.

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 11/29/2007 9:33:07 PM >

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 341
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 8:44:46 PM   
martxyz

Hi mjk428,

Don't worry. I have nothing against Americans. I hope you have nothing against us Brits. Our complaints, when we have them, are about policies, and not people. Your grandfather, for example did a very noble thing, when the US were not yet in.  Many people over here did the same during the Spanish Civil War and, at the time, were treated terribly by our government for it. Hats off to him. Maybe he bumped into my grandad. He did WW1 and WW2. Glutton for punishment. Tall as the Empire State and as gentle as a mouse at home - but was a Regimental Sergeant Major and scared the s**t out of young subalterns.

Anyway - no point in us arguing. We don't have anything to argue about.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 342
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 8:57:41 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

The former. Was it otherwise, most of the southern hemisphere would continue to be an undeveloped malaria ridden nature preserve, and most of the northern hemisphere would be occupied by totalitarian powers or "still rebuilding from the last war."

< Message edited by mdiehl -- 11/29/2007 8:58:58 PM >

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

(in reply to martxyz)
Post #: 343
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 9:15:40 PM   
kafka

well, after reading a couple of threads today, I'm more than convinced that matrix' forums are best left to their US american customers, sorry but I cannot bear such arrogance any more

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 344
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 9:18:34 PM   
mjk428

quote:

Hi mjk428,

Don't worry. I have nothing against Americans. I hope you have nothing against us Brits.

Actually you're some of my favorite people. Although I guess that's racist of me. I should be ambivalent toward you as a whole and only have affection for those of you that win me over on an individual basis. ;)

quote:

Our complaints, when we have them, are about policies, and not people. Your grandfather, for example did a very noble thing, when the US were not yet in.  Many people over here did the same during the Spanish Civil War and, at the time, were treated terribly by our government for it. Hats off to him. Maybe he bumped into my grandad. He did WW1 and WW2. Glutton for punishment. Tall as the Empire State and as gentle as a mouse at home - but was a Regimental Sergeant Major and scared the s**t out of young subalterns.

If my Irish born American citizen grandpa had met yours, he probably wouldn't have liked him much. Or at least he wouldn't have admitted it to anyone. He was clearly no fan of British policy. But you were "family" and he did what he saw as his duty. Left his wife and 3 kids at home for a few years. Grandma was not pleased. But then when he finally got back they had 4 more - so she didn't hold a grudge.

BTW, he was 5' 4" and fought Brit sailors three at a time just to make things more challenging. :)

quote:

Anyway - no point in us arguing. We don't have anything to argue about.

Cheers.

(in reply to martxyz)
Post #: 345
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 9:19:22 PM   
mjk428

quote:

ORIGINAL: kafka

well, after reading a couple of threads today, I'm more than convinced that matrix' forums are best left to their US american customers, sorry but I cannot bear such arrogance any more

Sorry to hear this.

You shouldn't judge us all on the basis of a few comments. That's just wrong.

< Message edited by mjk428 -- 11/29/2007 9:21:31 PM >

(in reply to kafka)
Post #: 346
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 9:30:12 PM   
06 Maestro

Hey Mart

I doubt anyone here is anti Brit. It is just that certain individuals (possibly European-maybe Iranian )have made such outlandish statements here that responses have been slightly embittered, which to me is quite understandable.

Speaking of Brits, one of my favorite British commanders was Lord Mountbatten-a very successful and charismatic leader. Before he passed on (about 30 years ago IIRC) he ordered/requested that no Japanese be present at his funeral. Do you think that this made that great man a morally depraved racist, and the government of the UK racist in honoring his desire regarding Japanese? He had first hand knowledge of Japanese atrocities against his men. If you are a leader, and an honorable man, those atrocities will not be forgotten-nor forgiven.
From a long term disgust of Imperial Japan, and a respect for his own men, he made it clear he wanted no Japanese at his funeral.

BTW, If Lord Mountbatten was involved in this current discussion today, I have little doubt as to which group he would aligned with.

(in reply to martxyz)
Post #: 347
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 10:41:26 PM   
martxyz

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

Hey Mart

I doubt anyone here is anti Brit. It is just that certain individuals (possibly European-maybe Iranian )have made such outlandish statements here that responses have been slightly embittered, which to me is quite understandable.

Speaking of Brits, one of my favorite British commanders was Lord Mountbatten-a very successful and charismatic leader. Before he passed on (about 30 years ago IIRC) he ordered/requested that no Japanese be present at his funeral. Do you think that this made that great man a morally depraved racist, and the government of the UK racist in honoring his desire regarding Japanese? He had first hand knowledge of Japanese atrocities against his men. If you are a leader, and an honorable man, those atrocities will not be forgotten-nor forgiven.
From a long term disgust of Imperial Japan, and a respect for his own men, he made it clear he wanted no Japanese at his funeral.

BTW, If Lord Mountbatten was involved in this current discussion today, I have little doubt as to which group he would aligned with.

Hiya

Lord Mountbatten was a man about whom people had very mixed views. Some of the American commanders (especially Admiral King if I recall) had no time for him, and some British historian's take a similar view. Personally, I don't know, but I do feel that he did get a lot of the praise that should rightly have gone to the great General Slim. As a man, Mountbatten was a complex, and not always what he seemed. Maybe I can answer your question in a different way, which gives two viewpoints at the same time.

When I was between 10 and 16, I lived in North Queensland. In 1966 a Japanese tuna boat sank off the coast, in flames, and one crew member died. My father was a chaplain to The Missions to Seamen (and had incidentally served towards the end of the war as a Fleet Air arm Observer in Avengers flying from the British Pacific Fleet). Anyway, we ended up, in our normal-sized house, with around 20-25 Japanese seamen sleeping on our lounge floor for about a month! They were gradually repatriated, so by the end of the month, only the Captain, the 1st Mate and his brother (who had severe learning difficulties but was part of the ships "family") remained. Prior to this, many of the seamen, before they got to know us, would apologize for the war, though they were too young, mostly, to have participated. They were all really nice guys.

Anyway, these last three were repatriated via Sydney, and we put them on the train at Townsville. Bear in mind that by then, they were good friends, one was mentally ill, and they were all good people. As we walked down the train aisle, a man with too much drink in him became EXTREMELY abusive, loud and threatening. He was swearing at them and I found it quite frightening. I was also outraged and confused by the treatment of these three friends, who had already suffered terribly, and were still in shock.

Later, my dad explained to me that he'd made inquiries and discovered that the angry man, full of hatred, and a bit too much alcohol, had been a POW of the Japanese, and the awful experience had lived with him for 20 years.

Do I feel able to criticize him? - most definitely not! At the same time, I knew the Japanese seamen, who were nice people. The ship was rebuilt, and two years later came back to the area, and detoured especially to dock at Townsville to thank the people that had helped them when they were in such need. They were still the generous people I remembered, and I am sure the man on the train was still full of hatred, for which I still wouldn't feel fit to criticize him, one little bit.

I am aware of the savagery of the war on the Pacific rim from the mid 1930's until 1945. I wouldn't seek to judge allied soldiers who committed what you might call "heat of the moment" personal atrocities (though I think commanders could have acted to rein those in more). I think the issue is a very complicated one. I feel that the biggest mistake is to extrapolate from what individuals may have done from fear, and personally-acquired hatred, to the more general question of atrocities committed by forces of all persuasions in the pacific,and elsewhere in the war. It wasn't a great moment in human history. To paint a broad brush to the extent of racist or ethnic slurs of Japanese, Caucasians, Russians and so on is though, in my view, completely unacceptable.

It's a long answer. I don't know what was in Mountbatten's heart and his decision was a personal one. He is, to me, the same as the man on the train, and I can't judge him. My only criticism of Mountbatten is based on the fact that I am a republican and don't think that he should have been a Lord in the first place, or given responsibilities for which he may not have had the experience or ability. Recently we have had many documentaries on the BBC about the anniversary of Indian independence, and of the terrible traumas that came with partition, and Mountbatten did not come out of it at all well, with many people taking the view that had he not interfered in the partition process so badly, many thousands of Indian and Pakistani lives may have been saved. They held him responsible for the deaths of many people, and also for much of the animosity that exists between India and Pakistan to this very day. I suspect that is far too simplistic, but Mountbatten was no saint. He was entitled to say who could attend his funeral though. I can think of loads of people I wouldn't want at mine. I just hate it when people turn up to gloat!

< Message edited by Mart -- 11/29/2007 10:45:36 PM >

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 348
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/29/2007 11:53:56 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

Some of the American commanders (especially Admiral King if I recall) had no time for him, and some British historian's take a similar view.

True but I would not let Admiral King's opinion of Mountbatten stand as evidence. King was rather openly scornful if not actually hostile to just about everything British. And because of that, the US and UK prrobably lost near a million tons of merchant shipping, simply because King was unwilling to credit the Royal Navy with knowing a thing or two about convoy escort, uboat tactics, or German naval ciphers.

The US should always stand by the UK and Australia and (these days) Japan.

(in reply to martxyz)
Post #: 349
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/30/2007 12:41:53 AM   
martxyz

quote:

True but I would not let Admiral King's opinion of Mountbatten stand as evidence. King was rather openly scornful if not actually hostile to just about everything British. And because of that, the US and UK prrobably lost near a million tons of merchant shipping, simply because King was unwilling to credit the Royal Navy with knowing a thing or two about convoy escort, uboat tactics, or German naval ciphers.

The US should always stand by the UK and Australia and (these days) Japan.

Yeah, I'd heard King didn't like us that much. Admiral Cunningham found King absolutely impossible. Samuel Morison, also writing fairly near the time also tends to have thought King was a bit of a pain in the bum. Probably everybody did. The other guy that didn't seem to like us much was Stillwell, but then not many people seemed to like him either. Ah - the joys of war!

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 350
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/30/2007 1:10:37 AM   
mdiehl

Stillwell may not have liked *anyone* vary much, which is why in the US army he was called "Vinegar Joe." As I recall, however, he was irritated with the UK because as he was trying to build up a base of operations in China for the US exp forces there, and the USAAF units there, a whole lot of the material he thought was "for him" was diverted to UK/C'wealth forces in India and Burma. Face it, no general in the (any??) war liked to see their assets diverted to some other general. He wasn't the sort of person to say "Well... OK, there is no 'I' in 'Team.'"

Patton and Monty and MacArthur were similarly disposed.

(in reply to martxyz)
Post #: 351
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/30/2007 1:12:22 AM   
wesy

Well...The WAR is OVER...so let's look at the net effect:

Our enemies of old (in addition to friend of old) have become some of our best Allies. I think our former enemies have far exceeded their strategic (read economic) objectives of the war - well at least for Japan. Macarther did a good job as the new Shogun. Too bad he wasn't around to rebuild Iraq. here are some points to ponder:

1) We all enjoy the benefits of the military technologies that both Germany and Japan developed before/during the war to help ressurect their shattered economies over the years...cameras, optics, electronics, cars etc.
2) Colonialism of SE Asian countries ended or began there decline post WWII
3) There are Honda plants in Ohio, Subaru plants in Indiana (Subaru is an off shoot of Fuji Heavy Industries which was Nakajima during the war) BMW plants in Mississippi etc. Not to mention all our corporate bastions in their respective countries. Ford owns part of Mazda (they should just rebadge the 3 and make it the new "Focus" - but that's for another board)
4) Japan, and other allied and not so allied countries fund our debt
5) Japan has the 2nd largest economy in the world, Germany is probably top 5.
6) Japan, Australia and South Korea really are our counterweight to China in the North Asia (India is the other in S. Asia) Japan is strategically located by hemming in any resurgent Russian Naval hopes (Vladivostok is the only warm water port in the pacific)
7) Japanese Pop culture is all over the place - get this I saw a "Hello Kitty" Stratocaster. really they exist :)
8) i can choose to drink Japanese Beer with my Weiner Schnitzed or German Beer with my Sashimi or American Beer with my Pizza (ok we can debate if "our" pizza is really Italian food...)

(in reply to martxyz)
Post #: 352
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/30/2007 1:58:45 AM   
martxyz

Wesy - you're such a tease! 

(in reply to wesy)
Post #: 353
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/30/2007 4:34:25 AM   
Reiryc

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Foxtrot Uniform

And what happened in your life to make you so hateful and angry?

Hi ya Foxtrot,
There's a history to all this which you'll partly find in this thread, but also in other threads. You'll find that although our Panzerjaeger is making a "spirited" contribution to this thread, the initial nature of the thread was about racism. Some members of the forum, or in particular, some who decide to "drop in" occasionally are in the habit of making outrageous, unintelligent, unintelligible, dogmatic, and discriminatory remarks of all kinds.

Agreed, but we probably disagree on who those people are.

quote:

I can see why you think that Panzerjaeger has got a bit entrenched in this aspect of the discussion (which started as a sideline) but it might be worth going back to the beginning to see the glee with which certain people welcomed the slaughtering of certain races as if they were scum.

True. Some people are quite happy with the slaughtering of those of certain nations because at the time, they were, as a whole, scum. They enabled their nations to commit some of the more heinous crimes of any modern 'civilized' country.

quote:

I think anyone would have a hard time portraying Sweden as a great cause of evil, destruction and death, in the world during the 20th century. I think you could easily look elsewhere for that. Two or three very large countries spring to mind.

2 or 3 countries most definitely spring to mind, but I'm sure we disagree on those. This probably brings us back to those who make, "outrageous, unintelligent, unintelligible, dogmatic, and discriminatory remarks of all kinds" and our differences in who these people are.

quote:

Please go and look at the beginning of the thread, and see some REALLY rabid contributions.

Excellent suggestion. You'll some very rabid responses in which the US camps were compared with the japanese and german camps. You'll also see rabid charges of racism throughout.

quote:

Incidentally, I don't intend any disrespect to you in any of this. Certain threads just bring out the weird ones from their kennels.

Agreed again. It seems no matter the thread or subject matter there are some who try to take pot shots at the US. In a subject about a ww2 movie portraying the actions of the japanese, we get weird folks who appear compelled to take shots at the US as if they were rabid pavlovian dogs. See posts 112, 139, and 158 for examples.

(in reply to martxyz)
Post #: 354
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/30/2007 4:38:36 AM   
Reiryc

quote:

My point is that guilt is always individual, never collective.

You've also been shown that this is wrong and even agreed. Thus it is not always individual.

What is keeping you from accepting this reality that you even agreed to earlier in this thread?

quote:

My position has not changed though, the only thing that has changed is your attempts to avoid the original discussion.

It is a shame that your position has not changed given that your position has been shown to be wrong and one in which you even agreed with.

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 355
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/30/2007 6:41:08 AM   
Doggie

quote:

Just a question btw, what sort of education do you have doggie?

More than enough to run rings around some Swedish College kid who presents himself as a "lawyer". If this were a courtroom, your case would have been thrown out. Nice try at trying to portray yourself as an intellectual elite, though. Give it up. It's obvious you're nobody's intellectual superior.

Is this the kind of stuff you learned in "Law school"?:

quote:

Especially since sarge and doggie are just looking for ways to deflect the discussion from its original topic into something else.

quote:

what if we were to stereotype the US based on the horrible atrocities committed against the native americans?

You'd think they would advise against revealing yourself as a hypocrite with contradictory statements on the same page. Brilliant legal strategy there.

I guess I got to spell it out for you left wing genuises. The above is a perfect example of how Hortland the Intellectual does exactly what he claims to find objectionable. When he realizes he has no case, he deflects to something else. Asked to back up his arguments, he changes the subject. Then he throws in the usual vicious personal slanders, all the while objecting to "ad hom". Textbook troll tactics.

quote:

And what happened in your life to make you so hateful and angry?

Hateful and Angry? That's leftspeak for being accurate and honest, isn't it? The people who are "hateful and angry" write stuff like this:

quote:

My guess is that deep down, he knows the days of American global dominance are counted; China and India will take over soon. It makes him bark at the moon and everything that's not representative of that fine exquisite American high culture.

A guy who's so ashamed of his country he doesn't even indicate his nationality. But he hates the United States. Hates it because it's everything his country isn't. The idea that the United States is the most powerful country in the world just eats at you, doesn't it? You just can't stand it. What makes you so hateful and angry at the people who almost singlehandedly kept you out of some collective farm or a gulag? Is it envy, shame, sheer stupidity, or a combination of all three?

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 356
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/30/2007 6:48:46 AM   
morvwilson

Quick question here regarding those prisoners Sweeden handed over to the USSR in 1946.

Was Sweeden in any position to say no to Uncle Joe?

< Message edited by morvwilson -- 11/30/2007 7:15:14 AM >

http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 357
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/30/2007 10:38:21 AM   
freder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie

A guy who's so ashamed of his country he doesn't even indicate his nationality. But he hates the United States. Hates it because it's everything his country isn't. The idea that the United States is the most powerful country in the world just eats at you, doesn't it? You just can't stand it. What makes you so hateful and angry at the people who almost singlehandedly kept you out of some collective farm or a gulag? Is it envy, shame, sheer stupidity, or a combination of all three?

Haha, I'm Dutch! So what do you think? It is a combination of envy, shame, sheer stupidity and longing back to the days when we ruled the waves; bought Manhattan for some mirrors and stuff. Ah, those were the days!
And no, I don't hate America, it's just an unbiased observation. I'm Dutch you know, it's about a 1/20 the size of Texas. Just a little man from a little country: what do you care, Big Americano?

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 358
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/30/2007 10:47:03 AM   
freder

quote:

ORIGINAL: kafka

Exactly my point

(in reply to kafka)
Post #: 359
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 11/30/2007 11:20:40 AM   
freder

quote:

quote:

I absolutely agree with you. It's not what I hope for, I'm just afraid that it is the unfolding scenario for the coming decades. I tend to read the newspapers. I do hope you can have sedate days incl. the popcorn; it doesn't affect my life and I'm not a jealous guy.

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Letters from Iwo Jima Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI