Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Letters from Iwo Jima

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Letters from Iwo Jima Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/3/2007 4:42:19 AM   
Sarge

Funny thing is ,

PZJ Hortlund statements on this thread are a prime example why American military and my tax dollars after 60+ years are still funding Europe’s defense.

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 421
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/3/2007 7:18:30 AM   
morvwilson

I would like to hear what nasty things that PZJ Hortlund thinks Americans did in the P.I. It is something I would like my Philipino wife to read! So please conselor PZJ elaborate.

http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 422
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/3/2007 12:09:02 PM   
Hortlund

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

I really get a kick out of watching you go on about “Individual blah-blah BS , but once America enters into your
delusional debate you immediately take up the position of a “Collective un-educated racist Americans .

Actually, this only reinforces the lingering suspicion Ive had that you dont know what a stereotype is. It would have been a stereotype if I had said "all americans are stupid" or "all americans are uneducated" based on those few examples.

Still, it is hard to resist making smirk comments when one reads reports like this where 51% cant find New York on a US map, 33% cant find the pacific ocean on a world map, 11% cant find the US on a world map (sorry, must have confused New York and US numbers). I mean, a study that shows that one third of the US students doesnt know that you need to go south to get from Japan to Australia could possibly be used to base all sorts of stereotypes on. But I havent done that...

And the only racist Ive come across so far is doggie.

The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 423
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/3/2007 5:54:07 PM   
Hortlund

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie

quote:

"Panzerjaeger" :
First, "my case" is that racism is wrong, stereotyping is the tool of the stupid, and guilt is individual not collective. You have not even begun arguing "my case", instead you have been trying to deflect the discussion into Swedish behavior in ww2, what is a concentration camp, and generally call me names

Excuse me? I think I missed those points while you were rambling on about American internment camps, the Indian wars, My Lai, your law school, how the Swedes were superior to everyone else, and what ignorant, arrogant racist liars the Americans who fought the Japanese were.

Yes, apparently you did miss those points, because when I held up My Lai as an example on how stereotyping an entire nation from one action will lead to all sorts of weird conclusions, you completely missed that point, and instead you went on some tirade about Swedish neutrality.

I have never ever claimed that Swedes were superior to anyone, that is just your strawman-argument. I also havent accused anyone but you of racism, and when I accuse you of racism, it is because you have said several times that all japanese were stinking savages who deserved to be strafed in lifeboats, shot as POWs or firebombed in their homes.

quote:

blah blah.. You know the difference between a whore and an attorney, "Panzerjaeger"? There's some things a whore won't do for money.

Well, you would know, wouldnt you?

The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 424
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/3/2007 5:57:38 PM   
PunkReaper

quote:

Funny thing is ,

PZJ Hortlund statements on this thread are a prime example why American military and my tax dollars after 60+ years are still funding Europe’s defense.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH....from everyone over here.

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 425
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/3/2007 8:06:50 PM   
06 Maestro

PZJ Hortlund

It is clear that you don’t like Doggy; I would venture a guess that you two have met before. But that is not what this thread is about. This thread is about your attacks on, and/or slanderous comparisons of the U.S, be it in 1850, 1945, or 2006.

Because of your unending, venomous attacks on America, I can’t help but to wonder if you are longing to do a little “strafing”, yourself. Maybe you are too highly evolved to desire such a thing, but I wonder.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 426
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 1:23:19 AM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

quote:

Funny thing is ,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH....from everyone over here.

Well, the single prominent thing PZJ accomplished with his comments is verifying its money well spent

PS: it’s a two-way street , thanks for your Nations efforts with the war

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 427
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 2:20:59 AM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panzerjaeger Hortlund
But you are a racist doggie

quote:

the only racist Ive come across so far is doggie

quote:

bigoted and racist views put forth by doggie and others

quote:

I call you racist is because you have posted racist opinions

quote:

he is a racist

quote:

That is racist

quote:

Without exception. That is racist

quote:

I dont know if you ever tried to pretend not to be a racist

quote:

racist stereotyping is not really that productive.

quote:

It is very very rare to see an intelligent man who also is a racist

quote:

a racist one at that

quote:

barging in parading horribly racist stereotypes

quote:

when questioned on those racist stereotypes

quote:

I call you racist is because you have posted racist opinions

quote:

that is merely a racist stereotype

quote:

again your racist views shine through

quote:

your relatives and aquaintances are racist

quote:

a confirmed racist

quote:

guilt need not be dependent on racist stereotyping

quote:

Whatever. If you fail to see the racist stereotyping

quote:

Here mdiehl. Racist remarks bolded

quote:

clearly he is a racist

quote:

some racist stereotypes, hateful outbursts

quote:

bigoted and racist views

quote:

from your racist views

quote:

your racist views on the Japanese

quote:

I would call it a racist

What’s it they say about people that are constantly accusing ?

< Message edited by Sarge -- 12/4/2007 2:33:29 AM >

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 428
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 3:09:12 AM   
Goblin

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 429
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 3:55:50 AM   
Doggie

Looks like the ignorant Americans are eating your lunch, Mister highly educated law school graduate.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 430
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 8:30:58 AM   
Hortlund

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

PZJ Hortlund

It is clear that you don’t like Doggy; I would venture a guess that you two have met before. But that is not what this thread is about. This thread is about your attacks on, and/or slanderous comparisons of the U.S, be it in 1850, 1945, or 2006.

LOL, no. This thread is about how racism is wrong, stereotyping is a tool of the stupid, and that guilt is always individual, never collective.

This is quite simple really. Did My Lai happen? Judging from the venomous outrage displayed by certain posters when the topic was brought up one wonders if this is disputed or if you (reluctantly, and with much attempt to sidetrack the subject to something else) agree that the massacre did indeed take place.

If we agree that it did happen, then my question becomes "what would happen if we would stereotype the entire US army based on this one incident?". I use this as an example to show why stereotyping is indeed stupid. It will lead to all sorts of weird conclusions, see.

Now, if you read the above a couple of times, then maybe...maybe you'll see that the discussion really isnt focused on any attack on your precious nation, but instead it is about racism, stereotyping and guilt.

quote:

Because of your unending, venomous attacks on America, I can’t help but to wonder if you are longing to do a little “strafing”, yourself. Maybe you are too highly evolved to desire such a thing, but I wonder.

LOL yeah...anyone who ever dares to point out that the US track record isnt exactly spotless must be a terrorist.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 431
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 8:33:14 AM   
Hortlund

quote:

What’s it they say about people that are constantly accusing ?

Looks like you guys have all but run out of arguments. Whats next, heading over to the steakhouse to regroup? Perhaps try another way to deflect the subject to something irrelevant?

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 432
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 8:37:45 AM   
Hortlund

quote:

Looks like the ignorant Americans are eating your lunch, Mister highly educated law school graduate.

Another quality argument. It seems you have given up even trying to argue, and are now stuck in some pointless "I must get the last word"-anxiety. Im beginning to understand why you guys hang out in the steakhouse instead of here, you might actually run into intelligent or educated people over here...and there where would you be? Oo, I know the answer to that one, we can see it in this thread. Start out with the racist hyperbole, when called on it, deflect the subject, throw some random ad homs around and then retreat back to the steakhouse where you congratulate yourself for being hardcore?

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 433
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 2:56:48 PM   
Sarge

quote:

Looks like you guys have all but run out of arguments. Whats next, heading over to the steakhouse to regroup? Perhaps try another way to deflect the subject to something irrelevant?

As in your compulsive deflect disorder ?
No thanks, your “racist” quotes above are telling enough.

Maybe if the MC morons had a beer for every time you said “Racists you would been playing on a even field, but as it stands your pegged

We’ll call it the :

PZJ's Compulsive Racist Deflect Disorder Drinking Game

< Message edited by Sarge -- 12/4/2007 3:00:19 PM >

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 434
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 3:06:35 PM   
Hortlund

I think you should call it "GW1 was not combat" instead.

Edit: No, wait..."Sarge's Swedish army barracks-game"

< Message edited by Panzerjaeger Hortlund -- 12/4/2007 3:07:28 PM >

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 435
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 3:07:36 PM   
Foxtrot Uniform

quote:

quote:

Another quality argument. It seems you have given up even trying to argue, and are now stuck in some pointless "I must get the last word"-anxiety. Im beginning to understand why you guys hang out in the steakhouse instead of here, you might actually run into intelligent or educated people over here...and there where would you be? Oo, I know the answer to that one, we can see it in this thread. Start out with the racist hyperbole, when called on it, deflect the subject, throw some random ad homs around and then retreat back to the steakhouse where you congratulate yourself for being hardcore?

You know, all things aside, I wonder when mjk and Sarge were in fact engaged in a homosexual orgy in a Swedish Army barracks, and why Doggie knows about it?

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 436
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 3:11:57 PM   
Hortlund

quote:

quote:

As in your compulsive deflect disorder ?
No thanks, your “racist” quotes above are telling enough.

Maybe if the MC morons had a beer for every time you said “Racists you would been playing on a even field, but as it stands your pegged

We’ll call it the :

PZJ's Compulsive Racist Deflect Disorder Drinking Game

I see you went with option b btw...you're getting predictable.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 437
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 4:33:42 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

LOL, no. This thread is about how racism is wrong, stereotyping is a tool of the stupid, and that guilt is always individual, never collective.

You are 1/3 correct. Unfortunately, that means you are 2/3rds wrong. 33% is a failing grade most anywhere-you fail. It is too bad that after all of this you still can't admit that guilt can be collective. If your mind is closed, you will never grow.

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 438
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 5:48:00 PM   
Hortlund

quote:

You are 1/3 correct. Unfortunately, that means you are 2/3rds wrong. 33% is a failing grade most anywhere-you fail. It is too bad that after all of this you still can't admit that guilt can be collective. If your mind is closed, you will never grow.

Guilt cannot be collective, at least not in the western legal tradition, or according to Christian morals. Now maybe collective guilt works fine in some Sharia-system or in some redneck trailer-park, but I hold myself to higher standards than that.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 439
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 6:28:58 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

Guilt cannot be collective, at least not in the western legal tradition, or according to Christian morals. Now maybe collective guilt works fine in some Sharia-system or in some redneck trailer-park, but I hold myself to higher standards than that.

Methinks I have identified the mental block keeping you from grasping the concept of collective guilt.......you need to remove the "western legal tradition" hat and try to understand the world in non-legal terms. You couldn't possibly be more wrong regarding Christian morals. According to the Judeo-Christian myth "we" all carry the collective guilt of Adam and Eve.

...and the "red neck trailer park' comment couldn't possibly be more revealing in casting a light on your prejudice and stereotyping.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Here is a steroetype you seem to fit to a tee......overeducated, liberal European pompous a$$ looking down the end of your nose at we barbarous Americans.

Guilt CAN be collective. "Guilt" is a human emotion, NOT a legal status. Try thinking in terms of human emotions and NOT in terms of legalities and you might just have a chance of grasping a clue!

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 440
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 6:43:11 PM   
Hortlund

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter
Methinks I have identified the mental block keeping you from grasping the concept of collective guilt.......you need to remove the "western legal tradition" hat and try to understand the world in non-legal terms.

And why would I want to do that? Moral relativism = idiotic.

quote:

You couldn't possibly be more wrong regarding Christian morals. According to the Judeo-Christian myth "we" all carry the collective guilt of Adam and Eve.

You couldnt possibly be more wrong regarding Christian morals, since the one thing that determines our fate is our subjective actions, thoughts or inactions. At the very heart of the Christian message is that you get to choose your own fate.

quote:

Guilt CAN be collective. "Guilt" is a human emotion, NOT a legal status. Try thinking in terms of human emotions and NOT in terms of legalities and you might just have a chance of grasping a clue!

Arguing emotions is about as pointless as it gets. At the end, the best argument you will be able to present is "because I think/feel so". And that is completely meaningless.

Here is an example of what a debate regarding emotions looks like.

Poster 1: I think guilt is individual.
Poster 2: I think guilt is collective
Poster 1: I think you are wrong. Look at the history of the western world, our morals, laws religious beliefs etc. They support my position.
Poster 2: Well, I think you are wrong.
Poster 1: Well, I believe Im right, can you make some sort of argument for your position?
Poster 2: I just did. I said I think Im right.
Poster 1: yes but, what sort of evidence do you have for your position?
Poster 2: I know it in my heart that Im right.

Etc
Complete. Waste. Of. Time.
Now if you want to sit and argue that you are right and that collective guilt exists because you think it does and you base that on your emotions, then by all means sit here and talk to yourself.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 441
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 6:57:38 PM   
HansBolter

You really couldn't be more clueless.

Identifying guilt as an emotion and arguing that it is possible for an emotion to become "collective" has absolutely nothing to do with what "I" may be feeling.

The argument isn't about what I, or you or anyone else is feeling at the moment. It is about the possiblility of an emotion or "feeling" to become collective.

Furthermore, that the essential "message" of Christiananity is that we each determine our own course, auspiciously by believing in Christ or choosing not to, is also based on the premise that in order to escape the consequences of our "collective guilt" we need to make the "right" choice. It comes back full circle to the issue of collective guilt. Try as you may it is inescapable.

That you avoided addressing the issue of your display of prejudice and steroetyping is quite revealing in, and of itself.

p.s. this one seems to be a perfect fit:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/tirelessrebutter.htm

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 12/4/2007 7:00:26 PM >

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 442
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 7:10:50 PM   
Hortlund

quote:

You really couldn't be more clueless.

Identifying guilt as an emotion and arguing that it is possible for an emotion to become "collective" has absolutely nothing to do with what "I" may be feeling.

The argument isn't about what I, or you or anyone else is feeling at the moment. It is about the possiblility of an emotion or "feeling" to become collective.

Ok, how does an emotion become collective? You have a group of people, say 100, in a room. How does the emotions or feelings of one of these people become a collective emotion/feeling? More importantly, how do we determine the emotion/feeling of ONE of these people without looking at his actions or inactions, thoughts or non-thoughts?

More importantly perhaps, what does this "guilt as an emotion" have to do with the discussion, which is about racism, stereotyping and whether there were Japanese soldiers in ww2 who didnt commit warcrimes or not? How do you determine guilt on the basis of "an emotion"?

quote:

Furthermore, that the essential "message" of Christiananity is that we each determine our own course, auspiciously by believing in Christ or choosing not to,

We agree, and this was my point.

quote:

is also based on the premise that in order to escape the consequences of our "collective guilt" we need to make the "right" choice. It comes back full circle to the issue of collective guilt. Try as you may it is inescapable.

I see this as Adam and Eve doing something stupid and being ejected out of Eden. Their behavior had consequences for all of mankind.

quote:

That you avoided addressing the issue of your display of prejudice and steroetyping is quite revealing in, and of itself.

Whats there to say? You threw an ad hom in my direction...or some sort of mix between an ad hom and a strawman. I chose to ignore it and focus on the discussion instead of the personal attack...

quote:

p.s. this one seems to be a perfect fit:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/tirelessrebutter.htm

Ok, so what are you looking for now? Do you want me to search the internet for some picture of how I percieve you? Should I throw in some insult here? What?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 443
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 7:59:53 PM   
HansBolter

"How" is simply not a relevant and quite possibly beyond the capacity of humans to grasp within the framework of our current understanding of human behavior.

100 people in a movie theater watch a tear jerking scene. Are you actually telling me with a straight face that at least some small percentage of them are NOT experiencing a collective emotion?

100 people sit in a theater watching a magic show and respond with outward expressions of awe. Are you telling me with a straight face that at least some small percentage of them are NOT experiencing a collective emotion?

100 people sit in the tsands watching a football match cheering on their team. When that team wins and the fans COLLTCTIVELY express their elation are you telling me with a straight face that at least a small percentage of them are NOT experiencing a collective emotion?

The relevance it has should be more than clear to the person who has invested considerable time in making it a cenrtral issue of the discussion. That it's relevance seems to escape your grasp is decidely dissappointing.

"I see this as Adam and Eve doing something stupid and being ejected out of Eden. Their behavior had consequences for all of mankind."

And that consequence would be............collective guilt! Nice job of resorting to the use of euphamisms to avoid admitting publicly that you were wrong.

You chose to ignore "the personal attack" because addressing it would be decidely uncomfortable for you as it would require addmitting that you are engaging in the same behavior you have taken others to task for from your deluded position of higher moral ground.

As for the referece to the Tireless rebutter. I was hopeful that you coyuld read between the lines and see it for the message that it is. I will eventually tire of this banter and you, unfortunately will see that as a sign of victory for you in this "debate". All it will truly signify is that I have better things to do with my time than waste it on an endless effort to remove the wool from your eyes.

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 444
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 8:03:19 PM   
HansBolter

"I see this as Adam and Eve doing something stupid and being ejected out of Eden. Their behavior had consequences for all of mankind."

Let's try substituting other parties.

"I see the Final Solution as Hitler doing something stupid and condemning Germany for all time to carry the stigma of having facilitated it. His behavior had consequences for all of Germany."

Does that spell thing out in simple enough terms for you to be able to grasp the concept of collective guilt?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 445
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 8:06:03 PM   
mjk428

quote:

You couldnt possibly be more wrong regarding Christian morals, since the one thing that determines our fate is our subjective actions, thoughts or inactions. At the very heart of the Christian message is that you get to choose your own fate.

That's not quite the heart of the Christian message. It's through no "works" of our own that we are assured of salvation. We are all sinners and saved only through Jesus. Jesus died for all our sins. Everyone is saved by Jesus - not just those that choose to be saved. So it's not about choosing our fate but rather accepting it. The distinction may seem subtle but it's a very important one. Because it's all about Jesus, not us.

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 446
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 8:25:44 PM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Foxtrot Uniform/Panzerjaeger Hortlund
You know, all things aside, I wonder when mjk and Sarge were in fact engaged in a homosexual orgy in a Swedish Army barracks, and why Doggie knows about it?

I always get a kick out of the tard that invents a member just to drum up support

Edit:
Echoes of Les

< Message edited by Sarge -- 12/4/2007 8:27:03 PM >

(in reply to Foxtrot Uniform)
Post #: 447
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 9:17:01 PM   
Dino

quote:

"I see the Final Solution as Hitler doing something stupid and condemning Germany for all time to carry the stigma of having facilitated it. His behavior had consequences for all of Germany."

Does that spell thing out in simple enough terms for you to be able to grasp the concept of collective guilt?

Well, why stop there?

"I see killing of Jesus as King Herod doing something stupid and condemning all Jews for all time, etc., etc..."

It's a concept, all right...but, do we really want to embrace it?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 448
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 9:25:01 PM   
martxyz

I'm left wondering how this VERY long thread got to this point, from the place that it started. To be honest, I'm now completely lost about what the issue is, what people are using as definititons, what people are disagreeing about, and what the purpose of it all is.

I would be happy to discuss racism. I would be happy to discuss collective guilt, and I would be happy to discuss retribution, but what I can't do is figure out where we are in all this. I'm afraid I'm totally lost.

I don't blame anyone. I don't know who I agree with, why, or what about. I am just plain lost.

Would anybody care to give me a brief and coherent summary of exactly where this discussion is at the moment, and why. No disrespect to ANYBODY intended, and no agendas whatever being pushed.

Cheers all,

Martin

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 449
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/4/2007 9:34:12 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dino

quote:

Well, why stop there?

"I see killing of Jesus as King Herod doing something stupid and condemning all Jews for all time, etc., etc..."

It's a concept, all right...but, do we really want to embrace it?

Given the choice, probably not. The real question would seem to be do we embrace it by making a choice, or does it embrace us without allowing us a choice.

(in reply to Dino)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Letters from Iwo Jima Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI