Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Enemy Planes launch at me by cannot be shot at.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Tech Support >> Enemy Planes launch at me by cannot be shot at. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Enemy Planes launch at me by cannot be shot at. - 11/21/2007 2:53:38 PM   
mack2

In the new westpac, I'm playing a north korea vs japan/us scenario, and I've just come across a mig-29 who I can see in the Unit Window, but who does not show up on the group window, he fires at my planes, but I can't fire back because he's not on the group window and thus not selectable as a target.

Personally, I'd think any plane "patrol" should show up on the group window, instead of being hidden in the Unit window, especially when I can't intercept or fire at them in anyway. They show up as ZM01 in the unit menu but cannot be shot at.

Also, why is it no longer possible to zoom all the way into a "Unit Window" style display in the group window anymore? I always used to use it to direct movement (especially planes) to avoid units, or to home in against specific targets. Now (unless this only happens with the westpac) I have to guess and hope for the best.

< Message edited by mack2 -- 11/21/2007 2:55:39 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Enemy Planes launch at me by cannot be shot at. - 11/21/2007 3:01:49 PM   
CV32

quote:

ORIGINAL: mack2
In the new westpac, I'm playing a north korea vs japan/us scenario, and I've just come across a mig-29 who I can see in the Unit Window, but who does not show up on the group window, he fires at my planes, but I can't fire back because he's not on the group window and thus not selectable as a target.

The enemy MiG is in 'formation patrol' with his home airbase, and if you click on this plane in the Unit Window, you will be able to determine which airbase that is. Then, if you want to attack him, choose that airbase and you will see a list of available targets, including the enemy MiG.

quote:

Personally, I'd think any plane "patrol" should show up on the group window, instead of being hidden in the Unit window, especially when I can't intercept or fire at them in anyway. They show up as ZM01 in the unit menu but cannot be shot at.

The current method reduces clutter in the Group Window, especially when there are lot of things going on at once. (A 'formation patrol' will sometimes 'detach' from its patrol to pursue you, and at that point will appear in the Group Window). If they are not showing as an available target (within the list of units attached to the airbase) then they must be out of range or you don't have suitable weapons to engage them.

< Message edited by CV32 -- 11/21/2007 3:03:18 PM >

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 2
RE: Enemy Planes launch at me by cannot be shot at. - 11/21/2007 3:27:01 PM   
mack2

Okay, I see how to do it now, but it's more finnicky.. you have to click the unit, click Full in the Report box, then find it's home unit, then push attack. And what if there are multiple units? Unless there is something else when there is more than one. If there is no other option will it select a random unit?

Maybe add an option to "show" the unit in the Group Window as the ZM01 unit.

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 3
RE: Enemy Planes launch at me by cannot be shot at. - 11/21/2007 3:46:40 PM   
CV32

quote:

ORIGINAL: mack2
Okay, I see how to do it now, but it's more finnicky.. you have to click the unit, click Full in the Report box, then find it's home unit, then push attack.

There's a method that's a little quicker. When you click on the enemy unit in the Unit Window, say its shown as 'ZM01'. You then know that the unit is associated with the enemy airbase 'ZMa'. No need to click the Full display button.

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 4
RE: Enemy Planes launch at me by cannot be shot at. - 11/21/2007 9:08:36 PM   
Shark7

Another thing you can do to help out in these situations is this:

Go under your settings > staff options menu, then go to 'AAW Auto-Fire Range' section and make sure it is set to either Optimal or 3/4 Max. I personally use 3/4 max. Once these aircraft are in that range band, it should pop up with a message that says something to the effect of "Enemy aircraft are in range of air group XX00, do you wish to fire missiles?" and you can engage them this way.

Also keep in mind, the AA-10 Alamo C carried by the MIG-29s outrange the AMRAAMs on the F-15J. The AI will almost always fire as soon as it is within range which may be why you can't return fire.

Hope this helps out some.

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 5
RE: Enemy Planes launch at me by cannot be shot at. - 11/22/2007 1:58:01 AM   
Awac835

bahh i just posted a post in the main section asking about this.
imho its a MUST that you can see single units attached to say the airfield. I understand you need to declutter the display, no problem, but it should be a toggle option on some hotkey that you can toggle show all or only groups. The unit display simply dont zoom out far enough for being handy for this.

Im borderline to saying its almost game breaking. Maybe i will just have to learn how to work with it. But its VERY un intuitiv imo.

also like to add that i dont think its a solution to make the unit display zoom out furthere. One should rather be able to toggle on/off show single units in the group display. Maybe even a show only enemy single units, and neutral, unknowns ofc.

< Message edited by Awac835 -- 11/22/2007 1:59:52 AM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 6
RE: Enemy Planes launch at me by cannot be shot at. - 11/22/2007 4:19:56 AM   
TonyE

I get annoyed by formation aircraft sneaking up on me too  thanks to not seeing them on the Group display.  What I personally want is a way to see the units on the group map but they need to be just shadows of themselves, similar to what the sinking ship icon looks like.  Can't say I agree about not being able to zoom the unit window out far enough (screen resolution of 1280 x 1024 a modestly sized unit window shows > 250nm across).  Still, message received, I don't see the situation changing anytime soon but perhaps some day.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to Awac835)
Post #: 7
RE: Enemy Planes launch at me by cannot be shot at. - 11/22/2007 10:17:55 AM   
Awac835

If its to hard to do a quick implmementation of the "single units showing up on groupd display" would it then be possible as a quick fix to make the unit display zoom out alot further.

Also when you have single target units you are somewhat hampered in your actions. Becouse you cant select them from the group display you cant "intercept them".
When selecting units on the unit display the intercept option disapears

< Message edited by Awac835 -- 11/22/2007 10:22:07 AM >

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Tech Support >> Enemy Planes launch at me by cannot be shot at. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI