Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Uncommon Valor 2.1

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Uncommon Valor 2.1 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Uncommon Valor 2.1 - 1/15/2008 1:33:52 AM   
Lucky1

1) Would there be any possibility of giving Axis a tech point or two toward transport level 4? Once Italy enters the war, she pretty much has to make at least two more transports (if not four more) if there is any attempts to take Cairo etc. This means it would take 7-8 turns (roughly two years, depending on when one can start developing tech at a higher rate) to get to level four!

2) Re: Turkey, Perhaps it might be worthwhile to give Istanbul (or Constantinople) a few more troops. Or, why not divide Istanbul into two territories? The West can be a nub into Europe, and the East can hold all the troops (incl. artillery). This would mean that it would take two turns to control the Strait if attacked from Greece/Bulgaria. The Bosporous is a pretty tempting target (transports can go into Black Sea and wreak havoc in Caucasus, Grozny etc.), and would have been pretty tempting for the same reasons in WWII. Yet, Hitler did not attack. Undoubtedly, this was because Turkey would have been rather difficult to take and was more valuable neutral or as a potential threat to the Soviet Union...

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 31
RE: Uncommon Valor 2.1 - 1/15/2008 4:29:22 AM   
Lucky1

Interesting article on Hitler's Black sea fleet....
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa4442/is_200711/ai_n21099487 

(in reply to Lucky1)
Post #: 32
RE: Uncommon Valor 2.1 - 1/15/2008 5:54:44 AM   
Lebatron

1) Already done. I just didn't mention the small tweaks I made. But why do you think you need to amphib Cairo to have any chance of capturing it? I find that strange. Try landing lots of troops in Tobruk then march them east. In theory you have no need to drive the British fleet from the Eastern Med as they will leave on their own once it looks like Cairo may fall.

2) Still undecided on Turkey/Persia. Been experimenting some options.

Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided

(in reply to Lucky1)
Post #: 33
RE: Uncommon Valor 2.1 - 1/15/2008 6:51:26 AM   
Lucky1

There was an etc. in my first comment which was meant to suggest other objectives than simply taking Cairo. Of course, extra transports are not required to take Cairo. In theory, transports are not required at all. Italy could move troops and supply to Africa using bombers instead of transports. But this would be slow and less effective. As you are aware, if Germany is taking Cairo only to seal the East Med, it is missing a few opportunites that are present prior to war with Russia (extra resources, ability to pressure India or Africa). If one doesn't build transports, it will take very long to get supplies to the resources (Cairo, Iraq) to repair them, to retreive (or augment) your forces and, if you are lucky, to link to horn of Africa. Would one not (correct me if I am wrong) also need the extra transports to link to the resources in Iraq / Cairo (or does it simply work by touching a piece of contiguous land - grateful if you could clarify)? 

Too, without transports, threatening India or Africa (even if only bluster) is out of the question. I would suspect that the no. 1 reason for WA to leave fleet in West Med (unless obvious that Cairo will fall), is to prevent Germany the benefits presented by sea transport. This is why Crete is of some relevance (op-fire).  But, you know this already, don't you ....

Beyond the above points, when compared to a Mediterranean cruise, caravan travel across the desert is slow, dirty and uncivilized.

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 34
RE: Uncommon Valor 2.1 - 1/16/2008 2:24:20 AM   
magic8796

I can't get the new flag icons to "show up" in vers 2.1. I did vers 2.0 earlier and it played fine so I know how the process works. When I open the new downlaod, it says vers 2.1 but the nazi flag icons are not showing up. Any suggestions?

(in reply to Lucky1)
Post #: 35
RE: Uncommon Valor 2.1 - 1/17/2008 1:48:16 AM   
Lebatron

Magic, look inside the downloaded folder UV2.1\dat\art\gui and see if the flag files are there. If that looks good then you should repaste the whole dat folder over the older one. All files should end up in their correct places. To confirm look inside the game's gui folder to see if the flagbut.bmp file has the Nazi flag. 

(in reply to magic8796)
Post #: 36
RE: Uncommon Valor 2.1 - 3/18/2008 11:36:52 PM   
Lucky1

Am back on the forum and am wondering whether any progress has been made on U.V. update? Is this pending the "final" patch?

Cheers,

Sean

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 37
RE: Uncommon Valor 2.1 - 8/17/2008 8:35:45 PM   
Ancient One

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky1

Am back on the forum and am wondering whether any progress has been made on U.V. update? Is this pending the "final" patch?

Cheers,

Sean

Unfortunately it looks like there will be no further updates to Uncommon Valor, since Lebatron is no longer here.

(in reply to Lucky1)
Post #: 38
RE: Uncommon Valor 2.1 - 3/1/2009 8:50:20 PM   
Lebatron

I will be releasing UV3.0 soon. It's done but I just want to give it a run via PBEM before posting it.

(in reply to Ancient One)
Post #: 39
RE: Uncommon Valor 2.1 - 3/6/2009 9:09:56 PM   
Lucky1

Hi Lebatron,

The forum went through a period of fairly intense activity from December through February. I surmise there is a bit of game fatigue at the present time. I might recommend that you post a description of some of the key changes and your thinking etc. This might kick start interest etc.

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 40
RE: Uncommon Valor 2.1 - 3/13/2009 9:28:07 PM   
Lebatron

Patch 1.040 is really nice. I will have to go through the data files and update everything. So the current UV3.0 beta will only work for 1.030 I believe. But feel free to play around with it until I replace with newer version. 

(in reply to Lucky1)
Post #: 41
RE: Uncommon Valor 3.0 - 4/21/2009 9:03:27 PM   
Lebatron

The conversion to patch 1.040 is now complete. Over the last few weeks I added several major changes. UV3.0 beta3 now has a new Med sea design, better Spanish events, and a new Soviet Siberian transfer event just to name a few. In this version balance is better than it has ever been in any scenario. The Axis double team of Russia is no longer a no-brainer due to the new Soviet garrison in the East that is tied to the Siberian transfers event. The Axis overrun of Cairo is not as easy due to the new Med design. The WA no-brainer invasion of Portugal or Spain does not lead to easy capture of France like it used to in all other scenarios.

< Message edited by Lebatron -- 4/22/2009 7:53:54 PM >

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 42
RE: Uncommon Valor 3.0 - 5/6/2009 2:10:36 AM   
Lebatron

Beta 4 is now uploaded. Modifications to the Med sea were made and numerous other improvements.

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 43
RE: Uncommon Valor 3.0 - 5/6/2009 9:10:16 AM   
rjh1971

Hi Jesse

Where can I downloaded it from?
Does it need a separate AWd installation as v2.0 or can I just install it with the deffault one?

Cheers

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 44
RE: Uncommon Valor 3.0 - 5/8/2009 1:39:13 AM   
Lebatron

Right from the first post. The download link there has all versions of UV, but the one you will be interested in is beta4. 

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 45
RE: Uncommon Valor 3.0 - 5/8/2009 1:55:26 AM   
Lebatron

This is Beta4 version of the Med. It's in playtest right now. Others should feel free to play around with it, and post some feedback. At this point I'm working on getting the OOB just right so everything works well with the new map changes. Take note of the new one-way arrow between Spain and France. If the Allies invade Spain, Germany can try to hold them at the Pyrenees Mts with forces placed in Southern France. FYI Vichy will unfreeze if Spain is occupied by the Allies. Future plans include redoing the Russian areas, China, and some of the oceans. For Russia, Moscow will be placed one territory deeper and the spread between Moscow and Stalingrad will be greater. One massive German army should not be able to threaten both.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 46
RE: Deluxe AWD- formerly the UV project - 7/1/2009 3:34:12 AM   
Lebatron

Hello guys, I have made some rather big changes this time around. So much that I'm giving it a new name. Since I gave the game a major map overhaul in Russia, China, and the Med I'm going to call it Deluxe AWD. The 3 scenarios included are A World Divided, Arsenal of Democracy, and Axis Blitz. A World Divided will be the regular scenario with the other two filling in for solo play against the AI. As usual, it can be downloaded from the link in the first post.

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 47
RE: Deluxe AWD- formerly the UV project - 7/1/2009 11:56:05 AM   
rjh1971

It really looks very interesting, a whole new strategy to be found in Russia and China...
Thanks Jesse

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 48
RE: Deluxe AWD- formerly the UV project - 7/1/2009 12:41:34 PM   
oldspec4

Just downloaded...a whole new game to play with. Thanks .

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 49
RE: Deluxe AWD - 7/12/2009 7:21:46 PM   
Lebatron

A minor issue came to my attention which I have now fixed. Op-fire against HF's was not working because of a last minute change I made. Download the tiny data file update I have posted at savefile to fix this. Also some other minor changes have been made. The changes made to update 1.01 are listed at the end of the readme. Thankyou.

< Message edited by Lebatron -- 7/12/2009 7:22:48 PM >

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 50
RE: Deluxe AWD - 7/14/2009 2:24:56 AM   
christian brown

Beautiful. Another masterwork from Lebatron.

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 51
RE: Deluxe AWD - 7/17/2009 9:15:51 AM   
Petiloup

Is there a game manual giving a summary of all the changes to the original game manual? new events explanation, rules changes,...

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 52
RE: Deluxe AWD - 7/18/2009 5:40:45 PM   
Marshall Art

I noticed that CAG's cannot be teched up any longer to increase endurance/range? Was this change made on purpose or by accident? It seems that launching a CAG strike will be severly penalized due to the range penalty, as most sea borders are range 2 - or does in this case the penalty not apply?

(in reply to Petiloup)
Post #: 53
RE: Deluxe AWD - 7/18/2009 11:00:14 PM   
SGT Rice

There's no range penalty for a SPD-2 aircraft crossing a 2MP border.

GG A World Divided Playtester

(in reply to Marshall Art)
Post #: 54
RE: Deluxe AWD - 7/19/2009 6:06:07 AM   
Lebatron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Polonthi

Is there a game manual giving a summary of all the changes to the original game manual? new events explanation, rules changes,...

Yes, look for it in the manuals folder where the others are placed.

(in reply to Petiloup)
Post #: 55
RE: Deluxe AWD - 7/19/2009 6:29:39 AM   
Lebatron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Art

I noticed that CAG's cannot be teched up any longer to increase endurance/range? Was this change made on purpose or by accident? It seems that launching a CAG strike will be severly penalized due to the range penalty, as most sea borders are range 2 - or does in this case the penalty not apply?

SGT Rice had reminded me that I forgot to mention this change in the readme. For the next update, I'll put that in or remove the feature if it proves unpopular.

To address your concern I don't believe I ever noticed a penalty for going over a 2MP sea border. The only thing that has changed is that CAG range can't be researched to 3 or more. If that was something you never bothered with, then this change will be unnoticeable. If on the other hand, you liked to outrange your oppenents CAG to make you immune to counterattack (never bothered with that myself), then you may be disappointed. But look at it this way, now it's off the table for both sides. Just spend the tech points on other things.

Some may be wondering why I fixed CAG range at 2, so I'll answer briefly. Simply put, at this scale both sides in a CV battle should be able to reach each others ships. It would be to gamey otherwise.

< Message edited by Lebatron -- 7/19/2009 6:32:08 AM >

(in reply to Marshall Art)
Post #: 56
RE: Deluxe AWD - 8/1/2009 8:15:06 AM   
nemesszili

Nice mod, just tried it out. Although reaching Moscow is much harder, than it's in the original AWD, but it can be done.
Also, Minsk is the capital of Belorussia, then how it could be, that the capital is north of the country? Just rename it "Velikiye Luki".
Sevastopol shouldn't be together with Odessa; The Soviets haven't got the chance of defending the fortress of Sevastopol for as long as possible: it can seriously hinder the ability of Armeegruppe Sud.
But again, all the other stuff is wonderful. Good job!

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 57
RE: Deluxe AWD - 8/20/2009 10:29:08 PM   
toddtreadway

Any way to post the mod anywhere else? I can't get to it.

(in reply to nemesszili)
Post #: 58
RE: Deluxe AWD - 8/21/2009 11:43:13 PM   
Lebatron

quote:

ORIGINAL: nemesszili

Nice mod, just tried it out. Although reaching Moscow is much harder, than it's in the original AWD, but it can be done.
Also, Minsk is the capital of Belorussia, then how it could be, that the capital is north of the country? Just rename it "Velikiye Luki".
Sevastopol shouldn't be together with Odessa; The Soviets haven't got the chance of defending the fortress of Sevastopol for as long as possible: it can seriously hinder the ability of Armeegruppe Sud.
But again, all the other stuff is wonderful. Good job!

I'm changing the Eastern Front further for version 1.2 of Deluxe AWD and I will go back to using Velikiye Luki. To address your other concern, if you have a better idea on how I can improve Sevastopol so this fort has some impact on play, then please post a pic. For now at least this fort gives some Russian troops a bonus. Going back to stock would leave the Russians with no benefit. That's assuming the Russians back into Rostov instead of Sevastopol. In my experience Sevastopol is always left empty by the Soviets in AWD. This fort does not work like it does in hex games because of the time and scale of AWD.

(in reply to nemesszili)
Post #: 59
RE: Deluxe AWD - 8/21/2009 11:44:00 PM   
Lebatron

quote:

ORIGINAL: toddtreadway

Any way to post the mod anywhere else? I can't get to it.

Seems Savefile is down for now. I'll add an alternate site.

(in reply to toddtreadway)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Uncommon Valor 2.1 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI