Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What kind of manual(s) should we ask for?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 11/30/2007 12:01:27 AM   
Anendrue

I thought I would present my idea for the game manuals and documents. I may be asking for too much. However, please share your thoughts so we can make the documentation usable instead of burnable.

*All A4 and 8.5"x11" documents should include ample space for 2, 3, or 5 hole punching as desired by the game purchaser.

I. Small game mechanics manual to include:
   A. How to install the game.
   B. How to configure your game for:
     1. Resolutions
     2. Mouse
     3. Keyboard Mapping
     4. Configuring joysticks and other input devices.
     5. .ini settings and what they mean with options available
   C. How to start and save a game.
   D. Setup guide for the tutorial(s).
   E. Tutorial guide with step by step instructions.

II. Additional Manuals
   A. Setup guide for all scenarios
     1. In .pdf and .rtf format for both A4 and 8.5"x11" or printed if feasible.
       a. Scenario commentary explaining the historical situation and the goals each alliance and nation (including minors) wanted to achieve.
           (Creates historical perception and frame of mind for the scenario to be played.)
     2. .xls spreadsheet for unit setups and available counters
       a. Filter and sort capable by alliance, country, unit type and scenario.
   B. Rules manual.
     2. Rules commentary to exist in boxed areas with the appropriate rule for additional understanding.
         (Clearly annotated to the clarifying source.)

III. Modders manual
   A. In .pdf and .rtf format for both A4 or 8.5"x11" and printed if feasible.
   B. .csv file explanations. This could be gleaned from programmers embedded comments but this should simplify finding the right .csv file.
   C. Bitmap formats and specifications for counters, hexes and maps for all zooms settings.

edit on thread name.

< Message edited by abj9562 -- 11/30/2007 12:03:57 AM >

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.
Post #: 1
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 11/30/2007 1:29:52 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562

I thought I would present my idea for the game manuals and documents. I may be asking for too much. However, please share your thoughts so we can make the documentation usable instead of burnable.

*All A4 and 8.5"x11" documents should include ample space for 2, 3, or 5 hole punching as desired by the game purchaser.

I. Small game mechanics manual to include:
   A. How to install the game.
   B. How to configure your game for:
     1. Resolutions
     2. Mouse
     3. Keyboard Mapping
     4. Configuring joysticks and other input devices.
     5. .ini settings and what they mean with options available
   C. How to start and save a game.
   D. Setup guide for the tutorial(s).
   E. Tutorial guide with step by step instructions.

II. Additional Manuals
   A. Setup guide for all scenarios
       a. Scenario commentary explaining the historical situation and the goals each alliance and nation (including minors) wanted to achieve.
           (Creates historical perception and frame of mind for the scenario to be played.)
     2. .xls spreadsheet for unit setups and available counters
       a. Filter and sort capable by alliance, country, unit type and scenario.
   B. Rules manual.
     2. Rules commentary to exist in boxed areas with the appropriate rule for additional understanding.
         (Clearly annotated to the clarifying source.)

III. Modders manual
   A. In .pdf and .rtf format for both A4 or 8.5"x11" and printed if feasible.
   B. .csv file explanations. This could be gleaned from programmers embedded comments but this should simplify finding the right .csv file.
   C. Bitmap formats and specifications for counters, hexes and maps for all zooms settings.

edit on thread name.

Sorry, but #1 is not going to be small. For instance, there are 97 forms, mostly for making decisions during game play. I expect to need to display screen shots for most forms in order to have any text describing them be coherent. Say, 60 forms with a page of text each - that's goping to run to 80 pages or so right there.

I see your #2 as mostly a copy of WIF FE material. A spreadsheet of setups is part of WIF FE and MWIF follows that exactly, except where we found errors in the WIF FE spreadsheet (maybe a half dozen units). No need to reinvent the wheel. We'll just use the WIF FE stuff.

I already have created the raw information for #3 concerning the CSV files (I need that documentation to write code). I'll tidy it up a bit and augment it with information about the bitmaps, though this has very little importance relative to other items in the game.
================
In #1 you have left out a lot of crucial stuff: optional rules, for instance. I have also clarified the sequence of play from the way it is presented in the WIF FE manual, such as, using graphics to show flow and modifying some names/labels to make them more understandable. When the material becomes wordy, I will place it in an appendix. It will still be printed, but by placing it in an appendix, the rest of the manual will be shorter and easier to read/use.

Your post is timely, since I spent yesterday morning bringing my previous outline for the Player's Manual into alignment with the Matrix Games' style/standard. That task still needs some work, it is only about half done. Once I get it banged into better shape, I'll post what I have for comments.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 2
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 11/30/2007 5:33:28 AM   
brian brian

I've kind of expected mostly electronic manuals. Seems to be the trend in computers. I mean if it is all on a CD rather than paper, the price can be lower for everyone, and if you want a hard copy you can make it yourself?

I also expect to just purchase the game as a digital download. With a good internet connection I would much rather do that than get yet another plastic-wrapped box and CD w/jewel case made and shipped to me.

Are these expectations probable? I haven't purchased any computer games since Avalon Hill sold me a couple on cassettes. But this is the 21st century and it would seem that media content can be delivered without using up more oil and trees.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 3
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 11/30/2007 6:19:12 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I've kind of expected mostly electronic manuals. Seems to be the trend in computers. I mean if it is all on a CD rather than paper, the price can be lower for everyone, and if you want a hard copy you can make it yourself?

I also expect to just purchase the game as a digital download. With a good internet connection I would much rather do that than get yet another plastic-wrapped box and CD w/jewel case made and shipped to me.

Are these expectations probable? I haven't purchased any computer games since Avalon Hill sold me a couple on cassettes. But this is the 21st century and it would seem that media content can be delivered without using up more oil and trees.

Have an investment in trees do we?

There are some purchasers who want a physical product. From what I can gather Matrix tends to charge an extra $10 for the boxed version, though there might be an extra cost for shipping.

Of the 3 items listed by abj9562 (can you imagine the difficulties he experienced in grade school with a name like that?), only the first would be printed. The others would be PDF files or equivalent.

I myself prefer getting a printed manual with software. My current personal aggravation is with the new release of Delphi (2007) where the 'manual' is a bunch of help files, but they are inaccessible by me for some unknown reason. Hence, I have no documentation at all for the new compiler. I looked on their web site and there are a long list of complaints about not being able to access the help files - none of which seemed to address the problems I am having though. With a printed manual you don't run the risk of that insanity.

Then there was thetime when the PDF file was everything Microsoft ever wrote about the product with tons of white space for each chapter and subchapter header page and blank pages scattered throughout. Printing it out took 200 pages (single sided), most of which was useless and wasteful. If Microsoft had had to print those pages themselves and then ship them, I expect they would have been more aware of the waste and it would have printed in 50 pages(double sided).

But the arguments for and against printed documentation are being waged continuously as far as I can tell.

Steve

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 4
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 11/30/2007 7:03:20 AM   
brian brian

I agree totally. I figured it would be available both ways and probably with a minimum of printed material, but just wanted to check.

Actually I make good money cutting down trees some times. On Saturday I'll probably have to ski in to a jobsite to do that. But as soon as the drought breaks in the south-east, my crews will probably plant 2-3 million seedlings this season. So print as much as you want...but try not to get too much plastic and shipping involved, cuz that's helping to lead to this terrible drought down there.

Post #: 5
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 11/30/2007 5:21:24 PM   
SamuraiProgrmmr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

I myself prefer getting a printed manual with software. My current personal aggravation is with the new release of Delphi (2007) where the 'manual' is a bunch of help files, but they are inaccessible by me for some unknown reason.

In case this helps...

Do you have Delphi For Win32 (2007) or the full RAD Studio 2007? It was released 11/15.

I know there was an update (Patch) to the RAD Studio help system. It might even work to install the help update for RAD Studio even if you only Have Delphi For Win32 (2007). Apparently, they are the same product with the Win32 personality having been 'pre-released'

Link:

http://www.codegear.com/downloads/regusers/radstudio
At the top of the list - notes say 'Provides bug fixes and other improvements to the Help system'

Also, if you use groups.google.com you will be able search the borland newsgroups (borland.public.delphi.*). Also, the borland news server (I think it is news.borland.com but I could be wrong) is public and that community is VERY good at helping each other and would welcome you if you have any specific questions about how something works... especially if it is because you can't get your documentation to work.

If you need anything else along these lines, let me know and I will do all I can to help.

Good Luck!

Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?

Post #: 6
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 11/30/2007 5:38:56 PM   
SamuraiProgrmmr

By the way...

I am for printed documentation, and am willing to pay a little more for it.  No matter how you cut it, it will be cheaper for me to pay Matrix to have it printed than printing it myself.  Cartridges and/or Toner is still more expensive than ink.

My wife can't drive due to health reasons and I spend an inordinate amount of time reading in parking lots.  It sure would be nice to be able to peruse the manuals when I can't play because we have to buy groceries. 

Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?

(in reply to SamuraiProgrmmr)
Post #: 7
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 11/30/2007 5:40:07 PM   
SamuraiProgrmmr

I'm sorry, I meant to post that the patch was released on 11/15

Post #: 8
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 11/30/2007 6:39:31 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: SamuraiProgrammer

quote:

I myself prefer getting a printed manual with software. My current personal aggravation is with the new release of Delphi (2007) where the 'manual' is a bunch of help files, but they are inaccessible by me for some unknown reason.

In case this helps...

Do you have Delphi For Win32 (2007) or the full RAD Studio 2007? It was released 11/15.

I know there was an update (Patch) to the RAD Studio help system. It might even work to install the help update for RAD Studio even if you only Have Delphi For Win32 (2007). Apparently, they are the same product with the Win32 personality having been 'pre-released'

Link:

http://www.codegear.com/downloads/regusers/radstudio
At the top of the list - notes say 'Provides bug fixes and other improvements to the Help system'

Also, if you use groups.google.com you will be able search the borland newsgroups (borland.public.delphi.*). Also, the borland news server (I think it is news.borland.com but I could be wrong) is public and that community is VERY good at helping each other and would welcome you if you have any specific questions about how something works... especially if it is because you can't get your documentation to work.

If you need anything else along these lines, let me know and I will do all I can to help.

Good Luck!

Thanks. I'll try this and let you know how it goes.

Steve

Post #: 9
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/2/2007 10:30:41 PM   
Anendrue

Steve,

BTW call me AJ or andy, abj9562 was quite a problem in grade school . High school was murder but in college nobody really cared.

[/quote]
In #1 you have left out a lot of crucial stuff: optional rules, for instance.  I have also clarified the sequence of play from the way it is presented in the WIF FE manual, such as, using graphics to show flow and modifying some names/labels to make them more understandable.  When the material becomes wordy, I will place it in an appendix.  It will still be printed, but by placing it in an appendix, the rest of the manual will be shorter and easier to read/use.
[/quote]

Perhaps item the first manual should be two seperate manuals. One for game play and the other for simple instalation and configuration. I understand most documents may be electronic. For myself I prefer printed manuals in binders. 

As for item 2,  yes the idea was a clean and usable spreadsheet similiar to the setup sheets on ADG's website. Just cleaned up and presentable for MWiF.

It seems there is not much disagreement on what to include. Principaly just on how to include all the material.  I would be willing to pay a premium for the printed docs as my trifocals just do not work well with computer screens. Perhaps someone could contact Prima or Brady Games if Matrix is not capable or unwilling.

Also, this goes without saying that I hope all docs will be localized for languages.

Post #: 10
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/2/2007 10:30:43 PM   
Anendrue

accidental entry

edit - removed this post

< Message edited by abj9562 -- 12/2/2007 10:31:57 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/2/2007 11:47:43 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562

Steve,

BTW call me AJ or andy, abj9562 was quite a problem in grade school . High school was murder but in college nobody really cared.

quote:

In #1 you have left out a lot of crucial stuff: optional rules, for instance.  I have also clarified the sequence of play from the way it is presented in the WIF FE manual, such as, using graphics to show flow and modifying some names/labels to make them more understandable.  When the material becomes wordy, I will place it in an appendix.  It will still be printed, but by placing it in an appendix, the rest of the manual will be shorter and easier to read/use.

Perhaps item the first manual should be two seperate manuals. One for game play and the other for simple instalation and configuration. I understand most documents may be electronic. For myself I prefer printed manuals in binders. 

As for item 2,  yes the idea was a clean and usable spreadsheet similiar to the setup sheets on ADG's website. Just cleaned up and presentable for MWiF.

It seems there is not much disagreement on what to include. Principaly just on how to include all the material.  I would be willing to pay a premium for the printed docs as my trifocals just do not work well with computer screens. Perhaps someone could contact Prima or Brady Games if Matrix is not capable or unwilling.

Also, this goes without saying that I hope all docs will be localized for languages.

Localized?
I only know English (the spattering of Pidgin I've picked in Hawaii doesn't count) so this is out of my area of expertise. What does Matrix do for their other games?

I see no real point in separating out the "how to install stuff". Here is what I have copied from the other Matrix manual:

1.0 Matrix Games World in Flames
1.1 Minimum System Requirements
1.2 Installation Procedures
1.3 Uninstalling the Game
1.4 Product Updates
1.5 Game Forums
1.6 Technical Support

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 12/2/2007 11:48:05 PM >

Steve

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 12
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/4/2007 9:00:22 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is my current working version of the Table of Contents for the Player's Manual. This should explain why I have been working on the Player's Manual periodically over the last 2 years so I don't have it all to write in the last week or two.
=====================
CONTENTS

1.4 Product Updates
1.5 Game Forums
1.6 Technical Support
2.0 Introduction to Matrix Games World in Flames (MWIF)
2.1 Background on World in Flames Games
2.2 Differences between Matrix Games World in Flames and the Board Game World in Flames
2.2.1 Rules as Coded (RAC)
2.2.2 World in Flames Add-ons from Australian Design Group
2.2.3 Optional Rules
2.3 Opening Screen
2.3.1 How To Play
2.3.2 Starting a New Game
2.3.3 Restoring a Saved Game
3.0 How To Play
3.1 Tutorial Overview
3.2 Picture Plus Text Tutorials
3.2.1 Starting a Game
3.2.2 Countries
3.2.3 Map
3.2.4 Land Units
3.2.5 Naval Units
3.2.6 Air Units
3.2.7 Weather
3.2.8 Zones of Control, Hex Control, and Stacking Limits
3.2.9 Supply
3.2.10 Sequence of Play
3.3 Interactive Tutorials
3.3.1 Introduction to Interactive Tutorials
3.3.2 Land Unit Movement (Eligibility and Supply)
3.3.3 Land Combat
3.3.4 Naval Unit Movement (Eligibility and Supply)
3.3.5 Naval Combat
3.3.6 Air Unit Movement (Eligibility and Supply)
3.3.7 Air Combat
3.3.8 Production
3.3.9 Politics
4.0 Starting a New Game
4.1 Choices on Modes of Play
4.1.1 Solitaire
4.1.2 Versus the AI Opponent
4.1.3 Head to Head (Hot Seat)
4.1.4 Over the Internet (NetPlay)
4.1.5 By Email (PBEM)
4.2 Scenarios
4.2.1 Introduction to Scenarios
4.2.2 Barbarossa
4.2.3 Guadalcanal
4.2.4 Fascist Tide
4.2.5 Day of Infamy
4.2.6 Global War
4.2.7 Missed the Bus
4.2.8 Lebensraum
4.2.9 Waking Giant
4.2.10 Brute Force
4.2.11 Darkness Before the Dawn
4.2.12 Decline and Fall
4.3 Optional Rules
4.4 Player Names
4.5 Assigning Major Powers
4.6 Bidding for Major Powers
4.7 Setting Up Units
4.8 Sequence of Play
5.0 Restoring a Saved Game

6.0 Modes of Play
6.1 Solitaire
6.2 Versus the AI Opponent
6.3 Head to head (Hot Seat)
6.4 Over the Internet (NetPlay)
6.4.1 Two player
6.4.2 Multi-player
6.5 By Email (PBEM)
6.5.1 Introduction to PBEM
6.5.2 PBEM Elements
6.5.3 Types of Email
6.5.4 eMWIF
6.5.5 Standing Orders
7.0 Player Interface
7.1 Introduction to Player Interface
7.2 Main Screen
7.3 Menus
7.3.1 File Menu
7.3.2 Command Menu
7.3.3 Info Menu
7.3.4 View Menu
7.3.5 Player Interface Menu
7.3.6 Windows Menu
7.3.7 Help Menu
7.3.8 Unit Menu
7.4 Detailed Map
7.4.1 Zoom
7.4.2 Scrolling
7.4.3 Map Views
7.4.4 Display Controls
7.4.5 Flyouts
7.5 Global Map
7.5.1 Terrain View
7.5.2 Weather View
7.5.3 Control View
7.5.4 Unit View
7.5.5 Marker View
7.5.6 Convoy View
7.5.7 Global Map Legend
7.5.8 Linkage to Detailed Map
7.6 Screen Layouts
7.7 Forms
7.7.1 Informational Forms
7.7.1.1 Action Limits
7.7.1.2 Captured Facilities
7.7.1.3 Carrier Classes
7.7.1.4 Convoy Information
7.7.1.5 Die Rolls
7.7.1.6 Distance Calculations
7.7.1.7 Find City/Port
7.7.1.8 Find Country
7.7. 1.9 Find Sea Area
7.7.1.10 Trade Agreements
7.7.1.11 Naval Review Details
7.7.1.12 Naval Review Summary
7.7.1.13 Neutrality Pacts
7.7.1.14 Neutrality Pact Markers
7.7.1.15 Optional Rules
7.7.1.16 Partisans
7.7.1.17 Political Relationships
7.7.1.18 Resources and Production
7.7.1.19 Select Sea Area
7.7.1.20 Select Units
7.7.1.21 Sequence of Play
7.7.1.22 Strategic Bombing Losses
7.7.1.23 Task Force Details
7.7.1.24 Task Force Summary
7.7.1.25 Unit Notes
7.7.1.26 Unit Pools
7.7.1.27 Unit Review
7.7.1.28 Units Under Cursor
7.7.1.29 Unit View Filter
7.7.1.30 Weather Chances
7.7.2 Sequence of Play Forms
7.7.2.1 Action Choice
7.7.2.2 Add Minor Units
7.7.2.3 Air Attack
7.7.2.4 Air-to-air Combat
7.7.2.5 Air Reserves
7.7.2.6 Air Transport of Land Units
7.7.2.7 Anti-Air Fire
7.7.2.8 Anti-Air Combat Results
7.7.2.9 Break Down Units
7.7.2.10 Combat Air Patrol
7.7.2.11 Carrier Selection
7.7.2.12 Commit Subs
7.7.2.13 Destroy Factory
7.7.2.14 Destroy Units
7.7.2.15 DOW Align Minors
7.7.2.16 DOW Major Powers
7.7.2.17 DOW Minors
7.7.2.18 Drop Off Units
7.7.2.19 Fort Hexside
7.7.2.20 Player Interface Controls
7.7.2.21 Ignore Notional
7.7.2.22 Initiative
7.7.2.23 Land Combat
7.7.2.24 Lending Resource and Build Points
7.7.2.25 Lend Lease Air Units
7.7.2.26 Loan Units
7.7.2.27 Move First Decision
7.7.2.28 Naval Combat Overview
7.7.2.29 Naval Combat Included Types
7.7.2.30 Naval Combat Results
7.7.2.31 Naval Interception
7.7.2.32 Naval Replacements
7.7.2.33 New Trade Agreements
7.7.2.34 Over-Stacked Hex
7.7.2.35 Pact Marker Move
7.7.2.36 Pact Marker Choice: Offensive-Defensive
7.7.2.37 Pick HQ
7.7.2.38 Plane Role
7.7.2.39 Production
7.7.2.40 Production Undo
7.7.2.41 Reform Units
7.7.2.42 Reorganize Units
7.7.2.43 Reserves
7.7.2.44 Resource Production
7.7.2.45 Save Build Points
7.7.2.46 Save Oil Points
7.7.2.47 Scrap Units
7.7.2.48 Sea Box Section
7.7.2.49 Setup Tray
7.7.2.50 Split Convoys
7.7.2.51 Surprise Points
7.7.2.52 US Entry Pool
7.7.2.53 US Entry Options
7.7.2.54 Use Oil
7.7.2.55 US Naval Combat
7.7.2.56 Vichy Setup
7.7.2.57 Victory
7.7.2.58 Weather Report
7.7.2.59 US Entry
7.7.3 Internet Play Forms
7.7.1 Chat
7.7.1 Bid for Major Powers
7.7.2 New Message
7.7.3 Password
7.7.4 Recipient List
8.0 Optional Rules
8.1 Introduction to Optional Rules
8.2 Additional Units
8.3 Land Rules
8.4 Air Rules
8.5 Naval Rules
8.6 Supply Rules
8.7 Production Rules
8.7 Other Optional Rules
9.0 Rules as Coded (RAC)

10.0 Appendices
10.1 Standing Orders
10.2 Data Files
10.3 Bitmaps
10.4 Other Files Included with MWIF
10.5 Combat Tables

11.0 Index

12.0 Credits
12.1 Australian Design Group
12.2 Matrix Games

Steve

Post #: 13
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/14/2007 7:25:10 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

No comments on my last post here - I guess there were no glaring problems.

Here is an updated version of the Table of Contents for the MWIF Player's Manual.
- I found a manual for software package I liked and inserted some of its ideas here.
- I also read through the complaints about the newly released EIA manual and I've tried to avoid them for MWIF.

I am also working my way through converting RAW to RAC. I see RAC (Rules As Coded) as a separate PDF file, which follows the structure of RAW (Rules as Written). In fact I expect RAC to only deviate from RAW when something has changed. That is to say, I will not attempt to write clarifications to the rules into RAC (for several reasons, but an important one is that doing so always runs the risk of changing the rule). Section 2.2.1 below will give an overview of the important changes from WIF FE. Section 9.0 will describe where rules were intentionally changed - in some detail. I expect to have some subsections for 9.0 once I have gathered all the changes into one place and can organize them intelligently.

=======================
CONTENTS

Foreword
Preface
Audience
How to Use this Manual
Conventions Used in this Manual
Organization of this Manual
Acknowledgments

1.4 Product Updates
1.5 Game Forums
1.6 Technical Support
2.0 Introduction to Matrix Games World in Flames (MWIF)
2.1 Background on World in Flames Games
2.2 Differences between Matrix Games World in Flames and the Board Game World in Flames
2.2.1 Rules as Coded (RAC)
2.2.2 World in Flames Add-ons from Australian Design Group
2.2.3 Optional Rules
2.3 Opening Screen
2.3.1 How To Play
2.3.2 Starting a New Game
2.3.3 Restoring a Saved Game
3.0 How To Play
3.1 Tutorials Overview
3.2 Picture Plus Text Tutorials
3.2.1 Starting a Game
3.2.2 Countries
3.2.3 Map
3.2.4 Land Units
3.2.5 Naval Units
3.2.6 Air Units
3.2.7 Weather
3.2.8 Zones of Control, Hex Control, and Stacking Limits
3.2.9 Supply
3.2.10 Sequence of Play
3.3 Interactive Tutorials
3.3.1 Introduction to Interactive Tutorials
3.3.2 Land Unit Movement (Eligibility and Supply)
3.3.3 Land Combat
3.3.4 Naval Unit Movement (Eligibility and Supply)
3.3.5 Naval Combat
3.3.6 Air Unit Movement (Eligibility and Supply)
3.3.7 Air Combat
3.3.8 Production
3.3.9 Politics
4.0 Starting a New Game
4.1 Choices on Modes of Play
4.1.1 Solitaire
4.1.2 Versus the AI Opponent
4.1.3 Head to Head (Hot Seat)
4.1.4 Over the Internet (NetPlay)
4.1.5 By Email (PBEM)
4.2 Scenarios
4.2.1 Introduction to Scenarios
4.2.2 Barbarossa
4.2.3 Guadalcanal
4.2.4 Fascist Tide
4.2.5 Day of Infamy
4.2.6 Global War
4.2.7 Missed the Bus
4.2.8 Lebensraum
4.2.9 Waking Giant
4.2.10 Brute Force
4.2.11 Darkness Before the Dawn
4.2.12 Decline and Fall
4.3 Optional Rules
4.4 Player Names
4.5 Assigning Major Powers
4.6 Bidding for Major Powers
4.7 Setting Up Units
4.8 Sequence of Play
5.0 Restoring a Saved Game

6.0 Modes of Play
6.1 Solitaire
6.2 Versus the AI Opponent
6.3 Head to head (Hot Seat)
6.4 Over the Internet (NetPlay)
6.4.1 Two player
6.4.2 Multi-player
6.5 By Email (PBEM)
6.5.1 Introduction to PBEM
6.5.2 PBEM Elements
6.5.3 Types of Email
6.5.4 eMWIF
6.5.5 Standing Orders
7.0 Player Interface
7.1 Introduction to the Player Interface
7.2 Main Screen
7.3 Menus
7.3.1 File Menu
7.3.2 Command Menu
7.3.3 Info Menu
7.3.4 View Menu
7.3.5 Player Interface Menu
7.3.6 Windows Menu
7.3.7 Help Menu
7.3.8 Unit Menu
7.3.9 Other Menus
7.4 Detailed Map
7.4.1 Zoom
7.4.2 Scrolling
7.4.3 Map Views
7.4.4 Display Controls
7.4.5 Flyouts
7.5 Global Map
7.5.1 Terrain View
7.5.2 Weather View
7.5.3 Control View
7.5.4 Unit View
7.5.5 Marker View
7.5.6 Convoy View
7.5.7 Global Map Legend
7.5.8 Linkage to Detailed Map
7.6 Screen Layouts
7.7 Forms
7.7.1 Informational Forms
7.7.1.1 Action Limits
7.7.1.2 Captured Facilities
7.7.1.3 Carrier Classes
7.7.1.4 Convoy Information
7.7.1.5 Die Rolls
7.7.1.6 Distance Calculations
7.7.1.7 Find City/Port
7.7.1.8 Find Country
7.7. 1.9 Find Sea Area
7.7.1.10 Trade Agreements
7.7.1.11 Naval Review Details
7.7.1.12 Naval Review Summary
7.7.1.13 Neutrality Pacts
7.7.1.14 Neutrality Pact Markers
7.7.1.15 Optional Rules
7.7.1.16 Partisans
7.7.1.17 Political Relationships
7.7.1.18 Resources and Production
7.7.1.19 Select Sea Area
7.7.1.20 Select Units
7.7.1.21 Sequence of Play
7.7.1.22 Strategic Bombing Losses
7.7.1.23 Task Force Details
7.7.1.24 Task Force Summary
7.7.1.25 Unit Notes
7.7.1.26 Unit Pools
7.7.1.27 Unit Review
7.7.1.28 Units Under Cursor
7.7.1.29 Unit View Filter
7.7.1.30 Weather Chances
7.7.2 Sequence of Play Forms
7.7.2.1 Action Choice
7.7.2.2 Add Minor Units
7.7.2.3 Air Attack
7.7.2.4 Air-to-air Combat
7.7.2.5 Air Reserves
7.7.2.6 Air Transport of Land Units
7.7.2.7 Anti-Air Fire
7.7.2.8 Anti-Air Combat Results
7.7.2.9 Break Down Units
7.7.2.10 Combat Air Patrol
7.7.2.11 Carrier Selection
7.7.2.12 Commit Subs
7.7.2.13 Destroy Factory
7.7.2.14 Destroy Units
7.7.2.15 DOW Align Minors
7.7.2.16 DOW Major Powers
7.7.2.17 DOW Minors
7.7.2.18 Drop Off Units
7.7.2.19 Fort Hexside
7.7.2.20 Player Interface Controls
7.7.2.21 Ignore Notional
7.7.2.22 Initiative
7.7.2.23 Land Combat
7.7.2.24 Lending Resource and Build Points
7.7.2.25 Lend Lease Air Units
7.7.2.26 Loan Units
7.7.2.27 Move First Decision
7.7.2.28 Naval Combat Overview
7.7.2.29 Naval Combat Included Types
7.7.2.30 Naval Combat Results
7.7.2.31 Naval Interception
7.7.2.32 Naval Replacements
7.7.2.33 New Trade Agreements
7.7.2.34 Over-Stacked Hex
7.7.2.35 Pact Marker Move
7.7.2.36 Pact Marker Choice: Offensive-Defensive
7.7.2.37 Pick HQ
7.7.2.38 Plane Role
7.7.2.39 Production
7.7.2.40 Production Undo
7.7.2.41 Reform Units
7.7.2.42 Reorganize Units
7.7.2.43 Reserves
7.7.2.44 Resource Production
7.7.2.45 Save Build Points
7.7.2.46 Save Oil Points
7.7.2.47 Scrap Units
7.7.2.48 Sea Box Section
7.7.2.49 Setup Tray
7.7.2.50 Split Convoys
7.7.2.51 Surprise Points
7.7.2.52 US Entry Pool
7.7.2.53 US Entry Options
7.7.2.54 Use Oil
7.7.2.55 US Naval Combat
7.7.2.56 Vichy Setup
7.7.2.57 Victory
7.7.2.58 Weather Report
7.7.2.59 US Entry
7.7.3 Internet Play Forms
7.7.1 Chat
7.7.1 Bid for Major Powers
7.7.2 New Message
7.7.3 Password
7.7.4 Recipient List
7.7.5 Test Communication Links
8.0 Optional Rules
8.1 Introduction to Optional Rules
8.2 Additional Units
8.3 Land Rules
8.4 Air Rules
8.5 Naval Rules
8.6 Supply Rules
8.7 Production Rules
8.7 Other Optional Rules
9.0 Rules as Coded (RAC)

10.0 Appendices
10.1 Sequence of Play Reference
10.2 Standing Orders
10.3 Data Files
10.3.1 Map Data Files
10.3.2 Unit Data Files
10.4 Bitmap Files
10.5 MWIF.INI
10.6 Scenario/Player Created Files
10.6.1 Screen Layouts (SLY)
10.6.2 Map Views (MVW)
10.6.3 Optional Rule Sets (OPR)
10.6.4 Scrap Lists (SCP)
10.6.5 Saved Setups (SET)
10.6.6 Saved Games (GAM)
10.7 Other Files Included with MWIF
10.8 Combat Tables
10.9 Other Tables
11.0 Index

12.0 Credits
12.1 Australian Design Group
12.2 Matrix Games

Steve

Post #: 14
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/14/2007 7:54:25 PM   
Froonp

quote:

- I also read through the complaints about the newly released EIA manual and I've tried to avoid them for MWIF.

Seems like it is a disaster. They say that a player who don't already know EiA can't play the game. I though about you when reading that. I heard that there are no tutorial either.

quote:

That is to say, I will not attempt to write clarifications to the rules into RAC (for several reasons, but an important one is that doing so always runs the risk of changing the rule).

This is a wise choice I think.

Post #: 15
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/14/2007 9:42:54 PM   
lomyrin

That sounds like a lot of manual, necessary beacuse of the game's complexity. Just hope that the sheer size of it does not scare away new potential players.

Lars

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 16
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/14/2007 9:52:59 PM   
Toed

Better to have complete manual than trying to slim it down to suit players that don't like reading. It might be a preconception by me but I think that those players are not the primary target audience for this kind of game.

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 17
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/15/2007 12:13:49 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: lomyrin

That sounds like a lot of manual, necessary beacuse of the game's complexity. Just hope that the sheer size of it does not scare away new potential players.

Lars

WIF is what it is.

Trying to minimize/understate its complexity comes a little too close to false advertising for my taste.

On the other hand, I do want to enable players who are new to WIF to learn MWIF as quickly and easily as possible. In that regard, it seems to me that a good manual is a very important item.

I also expect that learning MWIF will be a lot easier than learning the board game by reading through RAW. Perhaps even an order of magnitude easier?

Steve

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 18
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/15/2007 1:02:45 AM   
wworld7

quote:

On the other hand, I do want to enable players who are new to WIF to learn MWIF as quickly and easily as possible. In that regard, it seems to me that a good manual is a very important item.

I also expect that learning MWIF will be a lot easier than learning the board game by reading through RAW. Perhaps even an order of magnitude easier?

The manual is a very important task. Some games put too little effort into such things. And suffer because of it.

I like what I see so far.

Flipper

Post #: 19
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/15/2007 6:07:16 AM   
lavisj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

Seems like it is a disaster. They say that a player who don't already know EiA can't play the game. I though about you when reading that. I heard that there are no tutorial either.

Patrice,

From what I read over there (I like EiA as well), it seems the game is designed as a PBEM interface and little else. Which means that they cattered to a clientelle of already playing WIF which is probably why the AI and manual are so poor.

Jerome

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 20
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/15/2007 9:01:20 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I am working my way through RAW and converting it to RAC (Rules as Coded). I put in a couple of hours of mindless work editing this each day.

Personally, I found RAW difficult to read, mostly because of: small font, double columns, black and white printing, and no paragraph indentation. All of this was due to a desire to produce a compact printed document with commensurate low cost.

For RAC I am planning on a PDF file, and while wanting to keep the number of pages from growing too large is a concern, it is not an overriding consideration. After all, I do not expect it to be printed by Matrix Games, but rather by those players who desire the full rule set in printed form. Note that the Player's Manual will be printed for those who purchase the boxed version of MWIF. All I am talking about here is the MWIF version of RAW = RAC.

Here is a typical page. I have decided on using underline for some rules subsections (e.g., Invasion combat). I indent the paragraphs and give them a full line of separation from each other. I am using 2 blanks following each sentence (my personal preference for two decades now). For lists that do not have an explicit order, I am using small bullets. And for points of emphasis I am using bld, italics in green.

If you have a copy of RAW you might want to compare this section to how it appears in RAW.

EDIT: I almost always exopand the emphasized section. RAW typically emphasized just a single word (e.g., any) but I believe it is better to emphsize the idea (e.g., a basic supply path of any length) rather than just the adjective.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 12/15/2007 9:23:48 PM >

Steve

(in reply to lavisj)
Post #: 21
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/15/2007 9:04:00 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is how the primary sections are done: a larger font in bold blue. For optional rules I am using brown, which de-emphasizes them.

EDIT: The example should be in italics and colored - see following posts. There is a typo here from RAW: "If an impulse ends the turn" should replace "If impulses end".

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 12/15/2007 9:21:13 PM >

Steve

Post #: 22
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/15/2007 9:09:34 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is an example of an ordered list; I have not changed this from the way RAW handles it, using simple numbers for each item. Also shown in this screen shot is the presentation of examples: itlics royal blue. I like the fact that the colors make it easy to skip over the non-essential parts (examples and optional rules) when you are trying to learn the basics. This shows the another example of the use of underline for subsections.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 23
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/15/2007 9:17:30 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

4th and last in the series.

For the US entry options, I elected to emphasize (bold, italics, green) each option. I also used red for prerequisites (always at the end of the paragraph). The interdependence of the US entry options is important, which is why I decided to use such a forceful color.

I am about 60% done with the first pass. The second pass will be to change vocabulary (e.g., replace face-up and face-down with organized and disorganized). The last pass will be to make edits related to actual changes in the rules that we made for MWIF.

It looks like this will come to 160 pages or so - compared to RAW's 64 pages.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 24
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/15/2007 10:14:29 PM   
lomyrin

The text lookx very nice. A couple of points though:

Last impulse page the text talks about the initiative marker moving spaces, In the game environment there are no spaces to move but a track of initiative bonuses is kept.

Ground strike talks about rolling a die, the game does this automatically, perhaps the game rolls dies to determine the outcome.

Lars

Post #: 25
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/15/2007 11:43:43 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: lomyrin

The text lookx very nice. A couple of points though:

Last impulse page the text talks about the initiative marker moving spaces, In the game environment there are no spaces to move but a track of initiative bonuses is kept.

Ground strike talks about rolling a die, the game does this automatically, perhaps the game rolls dies to determine the outcome.

Lars

Thanks.

My second pass through the text will be to remove the cardboard counter, paper map, other paper items, and dice references. Several forum members went through RAW for me and identified all the places those occur (that was about 18 months ago, but I intend to finally use the results of their work later this month).

Steve

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 26
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/16/2007 7:52:04 PM   
SamuraiProgrmmr

quote:

There are several things that I think will make MWiF easier to learn than the boardgame.

I am one of those struggling players of EiA that have never played the game before and am truly overwhelmed. There are several things that I find myself wishing I had. I don't especially feel that all of these are feasable or have not be addressed already, but here they are.

• The manual needs an overview section geared towards players new to the game. This section would give the user an idea of what steps it takes to play a turn, what objectives they should have, and some indications of what sections of the rules are most important for a new player. Most of the time, the rules are laid out in the order of play. This is as it should be because the manual will serve as a reference much longer than it will serve as an introduction. The overview will help mitigate the problem that a reference is usually ineffective as an introduction.
  • Tutorials. These will help introduce the interface better than the written word can ever do. Also, they can give the green recruit an idea of what he/she can do while he is learning what he/she should do.
  • Many times, a manual only tells the player how to do something. Expanding the manual so that it also tells the player why something needs to be done, when is a good time to do it, and how to do it well will be a great thing. For example, just before describing how to accomplish a breakthrough attack with the software, explain how a breakthrough attack is where the armor units break through a hole in the line and exploit their speed to capture as much territory as possible while helping surround the enemy that is fighting on the front lines. Just after describing how to accomplish a breakthrough attack with the software, describe how to recognize when it is a good time to attempt it and when it is a poor choice. Some manuals put this information into shaded boxes to segregate it from the regular rules.
  • Most importantly for a game of this size, I think there needs to be some published information that give a new player some fairly detailed instructions of what they need to do for the first couple of turns in the campaign game for each of the major powers. This will help players 'jump in the deep end of the pool' and survive. I have always tried to read the manual casually before starting the game. Then, after playing my first game, go back and reread part (or all) of the manual. Repeat as needed. Giving them some hints as to what a grand strategy might be will help them learn by doing.

I hope this is helpful and am interested in any others opinions. Remember, though, I am not saying that all of these are feasable. Just that they would be helpful for the new player.

Post #: 27
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/16/2007 9:51:15 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: SamuraiProgrammer

quote:

There are several things that I think will make MWiF easier to learn than the boardgame.

I am one of those struggling players of EiA that have never played the game before and am truly overwhelmed. There are several things that I find myself wishing I had. I don't especially feel that all of these are feasable or have not be addressed already, but here they are.

• The manual needs an overview section geared towards players new to the game. This section would give the user an idea of what steps it takes to play a turn, what objectives they should have, and some indications of what sections of the rules are most important for a new player. Most of the time, the rules are laid out in the order of play. This is as it should be because the manual will serve as a reference much longer than it will serve as an introduction. The overview will help mitigate the problem that a reference is usually ineffective as an introduction.
  • Tutorials. These will help introduce the interface better than the written word can ever do. Also, they can give the green recruit an idea of what he/she can do while he is learning what he/she should do.
  • Many times, a manual only tells the player how to do something. Expanding the manual so that it also tells the player why something needs to be done, when is a good time to do it, and how to do it well will be a great thing. For example, just before describing how to accomplish a breakthrough attack with the software, explain how a breakthrough attack is where the armor units break through a hole in the line and exploit their speed to capture as much territory as possible while helping surround the enemy that is fighting on the front lines. Just after describing how to accomplish a breakthrough attack with the software, describe how to recognize when it is a good time to attempt it and when it is a poor choice. Some manuals put this information into shaded boxes to segregate it from the regular rules.
  • Most importantly for a game of this size, I think there needs to be some published information that give a new player some fairly detailed instructions of what they need to do for the first couple of turns in the campaign game for each of the major powers. This will help players 'jump in the deep end of the pool' and survive. I have always tried to read the manual casually before starting the game. Then, after playing my first game, go back and reread part (or all) of the manual. Repeat as needed. Giving them some hints as to what a grand strategy might be will help them learn by doing.

I hope this is helpful and am interested in any others opinions. Remember, though, I am not saying that all of these are feasable. Just that they would be helpful for the new player.

Good advice.

After reading your first point I think I will add a fourth subsection to How To Play. The first 3 describe the tutorials, and the new section would be titled "Important Decisions". It would highlight the places in the sequence of play where what the player decides should be based on an overall plan. As part of that would be reasons for choosing A versus B or C. I would want this to be short, preferably covering only the bare minimum of major decision points. Otherwise it might become too bulky, thereby defeating one of its purposes: providing a quick start for the new player.

Tutorials will be an important part of MWIF.

For your third point, I think I will bury that in the help sections for each form/phase/subphase. I already envision these containing sections on: (1) Purpose, (2) Screen Display, and (3) Use. The new fourth section will be Considerations. Again I do not want these to be treatises on the subjects, just some helpful suggestions.

Satisfying your fourth point will require little to no effort by me. I intend to simply provide the very long writeups WIF FE has for each major power for each scenario. They are somewhat dated and the WIF gurus argue about the accuracy of the content, but all-in-all they are an excellent introduction for the newcomer on how to plan and play each major power.

Steve

Post #: 28
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/17/2007 7:59:42 PM   
composer99

Looks pretty good, Steve. I would comment on the Fleet to Pearl Harbour USE option mentioned above, but if others have already gone through RAW with a view to how it will translate to RAC, then nothing further need be said.

~ Composer99

Post #: 29
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/17/2007 9:08:48 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

Looks pretty good, Steve. I would comment on the Fleet to Pearl Harbour USE option mentioned above, but if others have already gone through RAW with a view to how it will translate to RAC, then nothing further need be said.

Thanks.

I would not expect to change the text about Fleet to Pearl Harbor. What do you see that I don't?

Steve

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI