Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/28/2007 6:27:02 PM   
Anendrue

The following quote is fro another topic but bears posting here.

quote:

ORIGINAL:  SamuraiProgrammer
My wife has encouraged me to frame and hang my set of WiF maps in the game room.  They are beautiful.
However, as much as I would like to do so, I can't see myself devoting 170 sq. ft. of wall space.
BUT...
What I would like to see is an atlas style booklet with color maps in it.  This could be useful in hotseat games and also for pondering strategies when the computer is otherwise engaged.
Furthermore, while we are dreaming....
There is an inexpensive reporting engine for Delphi that natively produces PDFs. Wouldn't it be great to be able to produce map images at the press of a button so you could email them to yourself for lunch-break at work?
  Steve
     Dean
Not really a serious proposal for this version, but there is always version 2.0

I think an Atlas is one heck of a good idea. Perhaps in PDf and therefore printable and usable.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 61
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 12/28/2007 8:04:15 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562

The following quote is fro another topic but bears posting here.

quote:

ORIGINAL:  SamuraiProgrammer
My wife has encouraged me to frame and hang my set of WiF maps in the game room.  They are beautiful.
However, as much as I would like to do so, I can't see myself devoting 170 sq. ft. of wall space.
BUT...
What I would like to see is an atlas style booklet with color maps in it.  This could be useful in hotseat games and also for pondering strategies when the computer is otherwise engaged.
Furthermore, while we are dreaming....
There is an inexpensive reporting engine for Delphi that natively produces PDFs. Wouldn't it be great to be able to produce map images at the press of a button so you could email them to yourself for lunch-break at work?
  Steve
     Dean
Not really a serious proposal for this version, but there is always version 2.0

I think an Atlas is one heck of a good idea. Perhaps in PDf and therefore printable and usable.

Thanks. It is a great idea.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 62
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 1:51:49 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I am getting closer to completing Rules as Coded (RAC). What's left is enternig all the clarifications Harry/Patrice provided.

Here is the 2D10 table for your review and comments (2 posts).

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 63
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 1:53:13 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

2nd and last in series.

And its accomplice.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 64
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 2:36:30 AM   
brian brian

the City Mods "can never be more than zero" is a little bit confusing; the newer version reads "City modifiers can never total more than zero" and is grasped more quickly.

the +1 for jungle qualified units could perhaps use an explanation that requiring 'elite' status can thus only apply to corps/army sized units but could be hard to add to the tightly fitted form as it is right now

but it gets confusing that blitz units get a +1 per DIV, as do paras, but jungle-fighters don't.

Post #: 65
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 2:47:47 AM   
brian brian

this is my first look at the 2d10 table for MWiF; I can see how you would want to change the 'squiggle' character and the 'half-flip' character, but I think managing the half-flip and no-flip results with the lines on the table makes it more confusing, not less. The no-flip on asterisk (a nice big obvious asterisk, not the little * on this computer screen) has worked pretty well through-out the history of WiF. If the computer is going to roll dice in the background and report the results without necessarily showing the table, wouldn't the classic "*/2S" convey the result fairly simply? Vs "You have no losses and are not disorganized?"

Aside from that, adding bold to the columns on every fifth result is a standard way to make a table easier to read, but with the changes here and making the flip/no-flip information depending on what row the result is in, it might actually be easier to absorb without the rows in bold.

Also, using "-" rather than "0" would lower the overall amount of numbers on the table and seem less cluttered to me, but then I'm just really really used to the 2d10 the way it is.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 66
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 3:00:44 AM   
brian brian

also, the original * results are underlined with no explanation

another alternative to the 'above the line' / 'below the line' distinction is to use three colors; black for all flip, red for half-flip, green for no-flip
(green being a bit more positive psychologically maybe?)

for the blitz/assault table choice, it is important to note that a defending AT GUN counts the same as an ARM Corps sized unit even though the gun is a Div sized unit. this is explained in the rules but not on the current paper table either

I think the whole table would look a lot better with spaces between the result characters and the + before the attacker number "+ 2 / 1" seems easier to digest than "+2/1" on a table full of numbers. and maybe a trailing + sign emphasizes the "extra loss" more as you've designed it anyway.

and although the current table doesn't mention that the defender only flips if they take more losses than the attacker, it would be nice to add it to this new table

< Message edited by brian brian -- 1/3/2008 3:15:57 AM >

Post #: 67
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 3:04:25 AM   
brian brian

and one last thought - "Divided bonuses by 3, 4, or 6 when combat factors are reduced in that manner" - is more clear.

'third, fourth, and sixth' are really confusing as verbs, much moreso than "halve"

(when are they ever quartered? I can only think of halved for rivers or invasion and thirded for forts or the combination thereof?)

Post #: 68
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 3:38:25 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

and one last thought - "Divided bonuses by 3, 4, or 6 when combat factors are reduced in that manner" - is more clear.

'third, fourth, and sixth' are really confusing as verbs, much moreso than "halve"

(when are they ever quartered? I can only think of halved for rivers or invasion and thirded for forts or the combination thereof?)

Temporary forts are halved too. So French units attacking across the West Wall are fourth'ed.

Steve

Post #: 69
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 3:42:41 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

the City Mods "can never be more than zero" is a little bit confusing; the newer version reads "City modifiers can never total more than zero" and is grasped more quickly.

the +1 for jungle qualified units could perhaps use an explanation that requiring 'elite' status can thus only apply to corps/army sized units but could be hard to add to the tightly fitted form as it is right now

but it gets confusing that blitz units get a +1 per DIV, as do paras, but jungle-fighters don't.

Ok - on the 'total' change.

I'll add the corps/army distinction.

I am not changing the rules, but rather typing in Harry's changes (and I'll give him a chance once I'm done to make sure I haven't screwed up the meaning).

Steve

Post #: 70
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 4:09:09 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

also, the original * results are underlined with no explanation

another alternative to the 'above the line' / 'below the line' distinction is to use three colors; black for all flip, red for half-flip, green for no-flip
(green being a bit more positive psychologically maybe?)

for the blitz/assault table choice, it is important to note that a defending AT GUN counts the same as an ARM Corps sized unit even though the gun is a Div sized unit. this is explained in the rules but not on the current paper table either

I think the whole table would look a lot better with spaces between the result characters and the + before the attacker number "+ 2 / 1" seems easier to digest than "+2/1" on a table full of numbers. and maybe a trailing + sign emphasizes the "extra loss" more as you've designed it anyway.

and although the current table doesn't mention that the defender only flips if they take more losses than the attacker, it would be nice to add it to this new table

Not red - I tried blue. There needs to be two ways of communicating this; relying solely on color presents problems for some players.

How do you like this version? The D indicates defender becomes disorganized. On (D) the defender 's units become disorganized only if the attacker takes a loss.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 71
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 4:21:44 AM   
Ullern

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

How do you like this version? The D indicates defender becomes disorganized. On (D) the defender 's units become disorganized only if the attacker takes a loss.

On (D) the defender 's units become disorganized only if the attacker takes no loss.

Post #: 72
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 4:59:25 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: ullern

quote:

On (D) the defender 's units become disorganized only if the attacker takes no loss.

Yes.

Steve

(in reply to Ullern)
Post #: 73
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 5:00:44 AM   
brian brian

I don't think a D on the actual table will ever work out, due to the variability of 'attacker extra loss in bad weather/terrain' results. I was just suggesting adding it to the text explanations.

The current 2d10 table doesn't explain the difference for jungle-fighting units either, so I wasn't suggesting any change, just that it be pointed out right there that divisions can never be 'elite', rather than in the only rules.

I guess too I'm suggesting how the table looks gets synched up somewhat with how the computer reports the combat results...

(in reply to Ullern)
Post #: 74
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 5:13:28 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

I don't think a D on the actual table will ever work out, due to the variability of 'attacker extra loss in bad weather/terrain' results. I was just suggesting adding it to the text explanations.

The current 2d10 table doesn't explain the difference for jungle-fighting units either, so I wasn't suggesting any change, just that it be pointed out right there that divisions can never be 'elite', rather than in the only rules.

I guess too I'm suggesting how the table looks gets synched up somewhat with how the computer reports the combat results...

I like the addition of the D, though I got it wrong and the 3rd occurrence should also be in parenthesis. I find it interesting that the defender's units rarely become disorganized "in place". That's not something I was aware of until I added the Ds.

As for synchronizing with the screen reports - that's a separate issue. For now I just want to get RAC done.

Steve

Post #: 75
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 6:14:49 AM   
brian brian

that page of text is one of the most used pages in the game, right up there with the 2 page double sided color chart. it's always been a little frustrating that it explains only _most_ of the mods and combat results, for me at least.

commenting on the table led me to consider what the combat results report might look like, which is unknown to me, but I'm sure you'll keep it all consistent.

for the disruption results, maybe add a column to the left of the numerical assault results for the attacker. -1 to 17 = D for attacker; 18 to 22 = 1/2 D; 23 = - or 'none' or something. with a similar column on the right for the blitz results. then no messy lines or colors are needed.

Post #: 76
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 7:07:36 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

that page of text is one of the most used pages in the game, right up there with the 2 page double sided color chart. it's always been a little frustrating that it explains only _most_ of the mods and combat results, for me at least.

commenting on the table led me to consider what the combat results report might look like, which is unknown to me, but I'm sure you'll keep it all consistent.

for the disruption results, maybe add a column to the left of the numerical assault results for the attacker. -1 to 17 = D for attacker; 18 to 22 = 1/2 D; 23 = - or 'none' or something. with a similar column on the right for the blitz results. then no messy lines or colors are needed.

I am not quite sure what you are talking about.

Here is the Land Combat form - as seen by the program developer.

All the land combats are listed in the upper left by hex number/names. Clicking on one centers the detailed map view in the upper right on the target hex and since it is roughly 6 by 6 you get a sense of what is happening in the nearby hexes. The final odds are shown and if there is a decision maker, he gets to choose Blitz or Assault. Clicking on Resolve effectively rolls the dice and there is a big blank area across the bottom where the results are reported. A different form is used if casualties are to be taken (same Destroy Units form for all types of casualties).

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 77
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 11:52:47 AM   
Froonp

quote:

I too prefered the asterisk, as the */2B is a WiF legend that you can't make disappear.

Also, the defender is only disrupted if he retreated, or if he took more losses than the attacker. Using the extra losses, this last condition will be conditionaly made only, so I'd suggest not writing (defender disrupted) this on the chart.

< Message edited by Froonp -- 1/3/2008 11:54:02 AM >

Post #: 78
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 8:07:14 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

I too prefered the asterisk, as the */2B is a WiF legend that you can't make disappear.

Also, the defender is only disrupted if he retreated, or if he took more losses than the attacker. Using the extra losses, this last condition will be conditionaly made only, so I'd suggest not writing (defender disrupted) this on the chart.

I reluctantly agree about using the asterisk. That is not primarily because of tradition though, but because the * in place the the 0 for the four places it appears in the chart provides yet more redundancy in communicating that the attacker is not disorganized. And redundancy is good here.

I like the large D for when the defender might be disorganized in place. It is a noteworthy occurrence and indirectly emphasizes that the defender is not disorganized for most of the results on this CRT.

I thought about adding a small 'd' after the attacker's number for the 1/2 disorganized results, but that seems like too much.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 79
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 8:15:09 PM   
Ullern

I like the D.

It's too complicated the way it is as you have to know the rules. Better to have it there in the charts all the time.

Post #: 80
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 8:46:54 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

I changed my mind. At the risk of infuriating WIF FE traditionalists:

1 - O for all remain organized.
2 - o for 1/2 (rounding up) remain organized.

I always disliked the description as half-disrupted since the calculation is done such that half remain undisrupted. Using organized and disorganized opened up the new possibility of using O and o.

I find the asterisk confusing because it means multiply in most situations. That's especially true if we use + to indicate possible additional loss.

So, ...

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 81
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 9:04:31 PM   
Anendrue

O0o are really close looking. Somebody somewhere will be unable to distinguish them. Vetererns will recognize what they are based on the location in the tables. I think new players will suffer a learning curve.

Post #: 82
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 9:08:10 PM   
Froonp

quote:

I changed my mind. At the risk of infuriating WIF FE traditionalists:

1 - O for all remain organized.
2 - o for 1/2 (rounding up) remain organized.

I always disliked the description as half-disrupted since the calculation is done such that half remain undisrupted. Using organized and disorganized opened up the new possibility of using O and o.

I find the asterisk confusing because it means multiply in most situations. That's especially true if we use + to indicate possible additional loss.

So, ...

Hey, I don't like it, I gues that makes me a normal WiF FE Traditionalist ?
Defenders are disrupted on a Retreat too. Why not mark it down too ?
They are not disrupted also on a 19 result in assault if there is an extra loss.

This said, I still don't like the o, O, and D.
You are modifying someting that works since 7 years with the boardgame, so that now, not only will the newbies will be confused, but also the veterans. Everyone will be equal in front of this chart .

Post #: 83
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 9:08:45 PM   
Jimm

I wouldn't use O/o -too much confusion with 0 (zero!) (eg see roll of 19)

how about X/x?

Post #: 84
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 9:09:04 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562

O0o are really close looking. Somebody somewhere will be unable to distinguish them. Vetererns will recognize what they are based on the location in the tables. I think new players will suffer a learning curve.

Right.
There should be no 0 (zeroes), only - (dashes).

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 85
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 9:55:10 PM   
JagWars

From the 2 Die 10 Land Combat Results Table

(j) Attacker can convert and 'S' or "B' result to an 'R' result.

Should that be "Attacker can canvert an 'S' or "B' result to an 'R' result."?

Unfortunately, the 2D10 table has so many modifiers that it is very difficult to keep them all in mind when resolving combats. I remember many times from the CWiF game when I just knew that the program had made an error in resolution, but when fully research would discover that I had overlooked a modifier. I have been playing the game for more than twenty years, so I can only image what it would be like for a freshman WiF player with their fresh new copy of MWiF.

Additionally, most new player will not read the manuals first; they will load, point and shoot. Many will not initially do the tutorials, but will attempt to struggle through, depending upon experience and intuition to learn the system. Only after an evening or two will they resort to the tutorials or perhaps the manual. Therefore the more clear the resolution can be communicated the better.

So perhaps a resolution summary something like this:

Combat Table: Blitz
Dice roll 12
2 Disorganized corps +4
1 Defending ARM/Mech -2
Defending HQ Support -1
4 Attacking ARM/Mech +4
2 Co-operating MPs -1
Final Dice Roll 16

While I think that the 'O's and 'o's are the best solution currently suggested, might there be some confusion between the 'O's and the zeros?

Post #: 86
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 10:09:32 PM   
Anendrue

D (D) O o 0   

Instead of these, why not just use a alphabet subscript to identify each situation on the chart. It should eliminate confusion and allow for exact results explanations. Moreover most wargamers are used to subscripted footnotes throughout their rules.

(in reply to JagWars)
Post #: 87
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 11:22:56 PM   
brian brian

seriously, try adding a column for the attacker disrupted results, with "D"; "D/2" or "half-D" or "1/2 D"; and "-" or "0" or "*" or "none"

trying to convey two types of results, the casualties and the amount of disruption, in the same column makes that column kind of busy.

a simple sentence right at the bottom of the chart - "Surviving defenders are disrupted if they retreat or take more casualties than the attacker", right next to where the attacker disruption is explained, seems easier than adding new "D" or "(D)" results to a table that has never had them before.

but also, as you mentioned in the Zone of Control tutorial discussion, wargamers aren't so thick-headed that they can't figure out to read what an "*" on the CRT means and if they are, they'll never make it to the first land combat anyway.

the land combat form looks real good and will be excellent for avoiding that 'forgotten' modifier when you are doing it in your head over the table. plus, it will probably be spelling out the disruption results with text, i.e. words, anyway, so people will get the hang of it quick, especially after their first 'half-flip' result creates a pop-up window for them to pick which half of the units to 'disrupt'. after that, or maybe after the 2nd or 3rd one, it will be like riding a bike.

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 88
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/3/2008 11:38:40 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

seriously, try adding a column for the attacker disrupted results, with "D"; "D/2" or "half-D" or "1/2 D"; and "-" or "0" or "*" or "none"

trying to convey two types of results, the casualties and the amount of disruption, in the same column makes that column kind of busy.

a simple sentence right at the bottom of the chart - "Surviving defenders are disrupted if they retreat or take more casualties than the attacker", right next to where the attacker disruption is explained, seems easier than adding new "D" or "(D)" results to a table that has never had them before.

but also, as you mentioned in the Zone of Control tutorial discussion, wargamers aren't so thick-headed that they can't figure out to read what an "*" on the CRT means and if they are, they'll never make it to the first land combat anyway.

the land combat form looks real good and will be excellent for avoiding that 'forgotten' modifier when you are doing it in your head over the table. plus, it will probably be spelling out the disruption results with text, i.e. words, anyway, so people will get the hang of it quick, especially after their first 'half-flip' result creates a pop-up window for them to pick which half of the units to 'disrupt'. after that, or maybe after the 2nd or 3rd one, it will be like riding a bike.

I made a start at using more columns, doing away with the '/' and having separate columns for Att and Def. That enabled splitting the losses and the disruptions for each into 2 columns. The result is 9 columns: die + 4 Assault + 4 Blitz. Not very satisfactory.

The real difficulty here stems from trying to adapt the symbology of the standard land CRT to the 2D10 land CRT. The addition of: (1) possible additional loss by the attacker and (2) having 1/2 of the attacker's units stay organized, makes it very complex. That result for rollnig a 19 on the Assault table is confusing no matter who you are and how it is presented.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 89
RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? - 1/4/2008 12:19:51 AM   
Froonp

Well, the original 2d10 CRT is perfectly clear, why bother changing it ?

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: What kind of manual(s) should we ask for? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI