Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... - 11/30/2007 4:12:58 AM   
ditkadg

Hey all. I bought the game in '05 I think and never really took the time to play and get a feel for it. Now I actually have the time and am enjoying myself greatly. My question is that I've seen updates, patches and all kinds of things that from what I see correct minor issues with the original game, or maybe a better way to put it would be that they make corrections to make the game more historically accurate. My version is stock, nothing changed since the day I got it from Matrix so what would you experts recommend doing, if anything and in what order should it be done. I have really not gotten into the huge campaigns, just the smaller South Pacfic scenarios. Are there any more smaller scenarios that are new? The other issue is that I probably cannot find my serial number for the purchase since it happened so long ago, unless they can search it by e-mail. Any help you folks can give me would be greatly appreciated, I am a huge WWII enthusiast and would really like to get the most bang for my buck, if you will.

Derek
Post #: 1
RE: Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... - 11/30/2007 7:54:50 AM   
okami

1.806 Patch and try CHS or RHS mods.

(in reply to ditkadg)
Post #: 2
RE: Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... - 11/30/2007 8:07:39 AM   
JeffroK

I would try CHS first, its a great mod. I believe, from heresay, that RHS is a step more complex and it could be best to work up to it.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to okami)
Post #: 3
RE: Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... - 11/30/2007 8:16:13 AM   
wild_Willie2

Download the 1.8 comprehensive patch (get your 1.0 or 1.2 version up to 1.8 in one step) and then instal the later patches in numerical sequence...

Must agree that even against the AI, CHS is MUCH nicer to play than stock, the Air to air model is MUCH less bloody giving a much slower game where the AI is actually dangerous against your CV's (although not difficult to beat)...

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 4
RE: Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... - 11/30/2007 2:34:45 PM   
wdolson

CHS is primarily a mod of equipment and units to be more historically accurate.  It has some errors, but is much more accurate than stock.  CHS has been around for more than a year in its current state.  Andrew Brown, who was coordinating it has become too busy to get back to it very often.  It is very playable as is.

CHS does a few tweaks to fool the game engine, but the it mostly works like stock.  RHS is a more radical departure.  It has the benefit of further research into units and the OOB is probably a bit more accurate and detailed.  It does a number of things to fool the game engine.  RHS is nearly done with its primary development, but it looks like some final little tweaks are still going on.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 5
RE: Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... - 11/30/2007 2:41:34 PM   
m10bob

I agree with all of the above.
1.Vanilla(stock), with all stock Matrix parches.
2, CHS(for an improved OOB and dates of entry and ingenious mapping.
3.RHS A much enhanced OOB and internal "tricks" to better calculate supply amounts based on time periods and upgrades of OOB and equipment during game, (with a bent for historical correctness).
Besides, RHS even has those wonderful and common Navy blimps.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 6
RE: Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... - 11/30/2007 9:08:31 PM   
Grotius

Can one play CHS with the Nik mod, or are they mutually exclusive? Does CHS include Nik's air-to-air and flak changes?

Also, I've read good things about the BigB mod. Again, can it be played along with another mod at the same time? Does BigB also include air-to-air changes along the line of Nik's or CHS?

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 7
RE: Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... - 11/30/2007 9:12:27 PM   
cantona2

i ususally have two installs of Witp. One for CHS and one for RHS

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 8
RE: Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... - 11/30/2007 11:57:17 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

I would also recommend the CHS or one of its spin-offs. Currently I play the Treespider CHS variant and I am quite pleased with the revamped China theater and general toning-down of the potential base sizes - no more level 8 airbases in the Aleutians (although in some cases the downgrading has been carried a bit too far IMO - but there is the editor).

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 9
RE: Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... - 12/1/2007 12:21:34 AM   
niceguy2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Can one play CHS with the Nik mod, or are they mutually exclusive? Does CHS include Nik's air-to-air and flak changes?

Also, I've read good things about the BigB mod. Again, can it be played along with another mod at the same time? Does BigB also include air-to-air changes along the line of Nik's or CHS?

Yes, there is a version of CHS with Nik mod.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 10
RE: Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... - 12/1/2007 12:26:16 AM   
niceguy2005

FI
quote:

ORIGINAL: ditkadg

Hey all. I bought the game in '05 I think and never really took the time to play and get a feel for it. Now I actually have the time and am enjoying myself greatly. My question is that I've seen updates, patches and all kinds of things that from what I see correct minor issues with the original game, or maybe a better way to put it would be that they make corrections to make the game more historically accurate. My version is stock, nothing changed since the day I got it from Matrix so what would you experts recommend doing, if anything and in what order should it be done. I have really not gotten into the huge campaigns, just the smaller South Pacfic scenarios. Are there any more smaller scenarios that are new? The other issue is that I probably cannot find my serial number for the purchase since it happened so long ago, unless they can search it by e-mail. Any help you folks can give me would be greatly appreciated, I am a huge WWII enthusiast and would really like to get the most bang for my buck, if you will.

Derek

First order of business is to patch up the game to current level. 1.806. The site has instructions on how to do this. If you have lost your serial number Matrixx has a serial number retriever ap that you can download.

THere is a Midway scenario by Feinder on Spookys site. http://mathubert.free.fr/ That site is a must bookmark for any witp player.

Also, the Rising Sun scenario is fun if you don't have a lot of time for playing. Nothing beats the grand campaign though and nothing is as much fun as a PBEM.

...and welcome.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to ditkadg)
Post #: 11
RE: Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... - 12/1/2007 1:27:54 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

CHS is primarily a mod of equipment and units to be more historically accurate.  It has some errors, but is much more accurate than stock.  CHS has been around for more than a year in its current state.  Andrew Brown, who was coordinating it has become too busy to get back to it very often.  It is very playable as is.

CHS does a few tweaks to fool the game engine, but the it mostly works like stock.  RHS is a more radical departure.  It has the benefit of further research into units and the OOB is probably a bit more accurate and detailed.  It does a number of things to fool the game engine.  RHS is nearly done with its primary development, but it looks like some final little tweaks are still going on.

Bill

Yes definitely CHS. Andrew was working on a fix for CHS errors but unfortunately got too busy to get around to completing it...

Hopefully we can get a final version at some point to at least fix the errors. It is a shame to see it not updated for so long it is such a great scenario..

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 12
RE: Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... - 12/1/2007 4:45:23 AM   
Grotius

quote:

Yes, there is a version of CHS with Nik mod.

Ah, thanks. I thought so but wasn't sure.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 13
RE: Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... - 12/1/2007 12:10:43 PM   
Sardaukar

Also, if you do not want to install new map, you can just download BigB's excellent mod for stock map...can even spice it with Subchaser stock map mod.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 14
RE: Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... - 12/1/2007 4:43:35 PM   
Grotius

Oooh, now you're talking! Half the reason I play stock is that I just love Subchaser's map. (Wish he'd come back and do more!) How does BigB mod the stock map?

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 15
RE: Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... - 12/2/2007 2:59:55 AM   
Reg

I think what Sardaukar means is that BigB's mod is meant to be played on a stock map. It doesn't actually move anything so stock map artwork can be used though some map data may have been changed.

(Edit: which is what your question actually was... Doh!!! You'll have to have a look at the mod readme file to see what he did to the map data. Post left here for the info of others.)

Subchasers art only changes how the map looks and not any data associated it so it can be used with BigB's mod without any compatibility problems.

< Message edited by Reg -- 12/2/2007 3:07:41 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 16
RE: Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... - 12/2/2007 3:08:38 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

There are two CHS scenarios that use Nikmod A2A changes only (no other changes including flak) The only difference betweenst the two scenarios is one has Soviet navy, the other doesn't.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 17
RE: Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... - 12/2/2007 4:36:41 AM   
Grotius

quote:

There are two CHS scenarios that use Nikmod A2A changes only (no other changes including flak) The only difference betweenst the two scenarios is one has Soviet navy, the other doesn't.

Ah, thanks. I'm looking forward to trying your mod. Your fixes to air-to-air and flak seem like just what the doctor ordered.

quote:

Subchasers art only changes how the map looks and not any data associated it so it can be used with BigB's mod without any compatibility problems.

Also good to know. Thanks!

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Just starting to play WITP...a couple of questions... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI