Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sir, turn on our radar?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Sir, turn on our radar? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sir, turn on our radar? - 11/30/2007 8:06:39 PM   
MarkShot

There's this nag message about turning on a units radar if its ESM detects that it is already being painted.

First, does that message mean simply that it is being painted or that the enemy for a fact is putting out a strong enough signal that they have a return?

Second, suppose I already have the enemy exactly located by a sub or AC on the scene and I am trying to reduce my profile ... so, I just want to leave radar off ... is there any way to stop this nag message? I assume even if the enemy is close enough to fix me, they still don't know what I am if I don't go active, correct? (if they don't have viz) But once I light up, my radar unit will generally give the enemy a positive signature on what unit I am (even if I a hostile or a neutral).

On other hand, I am thinking maybe the staff is nagging me to go active, since if I don't I won't be able to ID and engage inbound threats. So, should I stop arguing with the staff and just turn on the radar?

Perhaps, I could get around the nag by going mixed, but making sure that the radar in practice doesn't go on?

Thanks.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)
Post #: 1
RE: Sir, turn on our radar? - 11/30/2007 11:31:57 PM   
Shark7

Doesn't the message read something to the effect of "Sir, group ACA is being detected by active radar. Should we turn their radar on?" (Yes I know not exact).

Something you'd have to ask the programmer, but to me it seems that you will soon have something nasty coming your way, so it might be a good idea to do so.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 2
RE: Sir, turn on our radar? - 12/1/2007 12:02:26 AM   
CV32

MarkShot, I see you've met the annoying alter ego of the Staff Assistant, the one we'd all like to happily strangle while the rest of the bridge or CIC staff look on in horror.

He's a nuisance, yes, and there might be some way in future to tell him to get lost, but in the meantime, he does serve some useful purposes.

quote:

I assume even if the enemy is close enough to fix me, they still don't know what I am if I don't go active, correct? (if they don't have viz) But once I light up, my radar unit will generally give the enemy a positive signature on what unit I am (even if I a hostile or a neutral).
On other hand, I am thinking maybe the staff is nagging me to go active, since if I don't I won't be able to ID and engage inbound threats. So, should I stop arguing with the staff and just turn on the radar?

When you get that message, enemy radar is painting you. You're right that as long as you aren't actively radiating your own sensors, the enemy AI has no way of knowing exactly what you are. But you're a threat, nonetheless, and unless you have some other unit providing sensor coverage in that area, you are prone to being intercepted by some unseen attacker.

In most cases, I don't think that you have too much to lose by turning on your own radar once you have been detected. If you still want to mess with them, put your radars on 'intermittent' or have only one aircraft in the group light up its radar.

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 3
RE: Sir, turn on our radar? - 12/1/2007 12:57:12 AM   
KHawk

How about replacing the Staff Assistant with Crapgame  form “Kelly”s Heros” (played by Don Rickles).

“Hey, you can stop ringing that bell.  I think they know we’re here.” 

KHawk

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 4
RE: Sir, turn on our radar? - 12/1/2007 3:29:43 AM   
SwampYankee68

quote:

ORIGINAL: KHawk

How about replacing the Staff Assistant with Crapgame  form “Kelly”s Heros” (played by Don Rickles).

“Hey, you can stop ringing that bell.  I think they know we’re here.” 

KHawk

LoL!

"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"

(in reply to KHawk)
Post #: 5
RE: Sir, turn on our radar? - 12/1/2007 10:15:37 AM   
cesteman

I'll vote for that one!

(in reply to SwampYankee68)
Post #: 6
RE: Sir, turn on our radar? - 12/1/2007 4:23:08 PM   
Stalintc

Nah Chuck Norris offering to single handedly take on the entire soviet fleet from a wooden raft would be the choice

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Sir, turn on our radar? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI