Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Some times it's the little things

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> RE: Some times it's the little things Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Some times it's the little things - 12/13/2007 1:53:10 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

Shaun,

I think this little detail is the "Poster Boy" for the Some times it's the little things mentality. I tried, unsuccessfully, to trade a player but no one was interested. The text that came up was all in white, nearly impossible to read against the white background:

Attachment (1)

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to throttle8)
Post #: 31
RE: Some times it's the little things - 12/13/2007 7:42:21 PM   
PadresFan104

If you want to try something a bit crazy with the PSPNcast, how about:

1) Showing the baserunners names moving from base to base.

2) Showing the ball movement on grounders, like the throw to first, etc.

I know this has already "been done" in other games, but I think Shaun could do it better. He has a knack for smooth animations.

PadresFan's Text Sim Mod Website: http://www.padresfanmods.net
Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/padresfanmods

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 32
RE: Some times it's the little things - 12/13/2007 9:43:03 PM   
PadresFan104

A new expanded "crowd noise loop"

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 33
RE: Some times it's the little things - 12/13/2007 11:25:09 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

A fourth filter option. 

Post #: 34
RE: Some times it's the little things - 12/13/2007 11:41:41 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

On the short list, major league players in black and minors in red is great. It would be even great-er-er to have those in the minors in say... green... and those who have retired in blue. Also, just to be thorough, add in the desciptive text that players who are already on your team are shown in bold.

Post #: 35
RE: Some times it's the little things - 12/14/2007 2:12:36 AM   
dneely

I vote for online play, era specific XML files and better PBP text.

I am nothing if not consistent...

DNeely

PureSim Vet

Post #: 36
RE: Some times it's the little things - 12/15/2007 2:02:44 AM   
PadresFan104

It looks like the financial modifier could use some tweaking. When starting a league in 1968, the setup screen uses a 38% modifier, which still creates yearly salaries in the $3m to $4m range. Kirby Pucket became the first $3m dollar a year player, and that was in 1989!!

The first $1m dollar player was Nolan Ryan in 1979...

For my 1968 Association, I think I'll go with a 3% modifier, as at least the top salary is about right, even if the average salary is way to much. The downside of course is that the games inflation rate may not match that of real life in later years, but that doesn't bug me all that much.

< Message edited by PadresFan104 -- 12/15/2007 2:09:51 AM >

(in reply to dneely)
Post #: 37
RE: Some times it's the little things - 12/15/2007 7:26:31 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

In associations (fictional and historical ones where fictional scrubs are created) persons with Mc (McDonald, McRay, etc.) or O' (O'Brian, O'Leary, etc.) or similar details in the surname, come out in lower case. For example, you see Mcewing and Mcdaniel instead of McEwing and McDaniel. On that same note, it's Odonnel and Oshea instead of O'Donnel and O'Shea.

It's a little thing alright.

Post #: 38
RE: Some times it's the little things - 12/17/2007 4:59:33 PM   
Wrathchild

I am horribly anal about correcting all of those Mc and O' errors whenever I see them.

Post #: 39
RE: Some times it's the little things - 12/18/2007 12:36:40 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

I don't know if this is a "little thing" or if it's a plain old "fix" that needs attention.

While in the Off-Season, I noticed that the status for my players in the Contract Status screen, was for... get this... their 2nd season. Why the game is chosing this year to display stats I haven't a clue, but I do know that it just ain't right...

To elaborate on this, in case I wasn't clear, say you're dealing with a 10-year veteran, instead of showing his LAST season stats, it's showing the stats from his second season. Why, I just don't know.

< Message edited by Frozen Stiffer -- 12/18/2007 12:38:17 AM >

(in reply to throttle8)
Post #: 40
RE: Some times it's the little things - 12/20/2007 3:47:08 PM   
Walewander

I have noticed that when I'm simming games, Pure Sim sometimes will override my injury settings from the GM section of the Front Office - sometimes it will inform me about a player injury that is less severe than the settings that I have set. Carlos Pena has suffered a minor finger injury...

Post #: 41
RE: Some times it's the little things - 12/21/2007 6:53:48 PM   
Wrathchild

I mentioned this in another thread and decided to follow Frozen Stiffer's advice and post it here:

It'd be nice for the player card's Career tab to also include the name of the team, as a city could have multiple teams, and it's hard to know which team the player was on.

(in reply to Walewander)
Post #: 42
RE: Some times it's the little things - 12/22/2007 7:00:48 AM   
KG Erwin

Little things -- OK, how about a quick way to check today's game weather in managed games? You only see it once, before the game starts. I could envision this affecting what handed-pitcher or batter being used in a playoff game. Yes, I DO play the percentages on occasion.

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 43
Aging sluggers and triples galore... - 12/22/2007 3:54:39 PM   
Walewander

I've seen this problem show up very often. I don't know if it's just the way the engine works, but it seems to me that aging sluggers tend to hit a lot of triples. I've seen a 2018 Prince Fielder hit more triples than homeruns in like 300 at bats. It seems to happen after the contact number dips below a certain point - say 50 - and power remains high - say 80 plus. Maybe the sluggers are just at the point where they can only produce warning track power and that's fine, but these should probably just be long fly ball outs - especially since most of these guys have long since declined to 1 speed on a scale of 1-100.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 44
RE: Aging sluggers and triples galore... - 12/22/2007 8:13:21 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

Walewander,

I'm running a modern-day replay and we're also in 2018. Fielder's playing well in my association and I'm curious to see how his stats have progressed (or declined) in my replay compared to yours; we can also compare stats to see if it's just a fluke in yours (or in mine). Can you post a screenshot of Fielder in your association? I will post one in mine when I return to work on Monday- I'm playing that association there.

(in reply to Walewander)
Post #: 45
RE: Aging sluggers and triples galore... - 12/22/2007 9:20:41 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

From STATISTICS + REPORTS, I see a Team Batting and Team Pitching option. However, there's no Team Fielding. Granted, I'm not sure how much information could be placed there or if it would even be worth it. The reason I was suggesting it though is because I cannot find a way to compare teams by the number of errors they've comitted. Sure, I can look at each player, but not teams as a whole. I'm worried about the fielding capabilities of one of my teams and I want to know where our total number of errors ranks compared to other teams.

Post #: 46
RE: Aging sluggers and triples galore... - 12/27/2007 11:01:37 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

Three ideas here. One came to me a minute ago, one I'm posting from a thread I read by someone else and the third just came to me as I was drafting this post:
  1. A way to move a team from one division or league to another; effectively a way to reconfigure an association makeup without necessarily adding (or removing) teams.
  2. A way to unassign everyone in the Roster screen. This would allow you to start from scratch filling positions.
  3. For that matter, something that may be of use to some (not me in this case), perhaps a way to REMOVE teams?

< Message edited by Frozen Stiffer -- 12/27/2007 11:02:07 PM >

Post #: 47
RE: Aging sluggers and triples galore... - 12/31/2007 7:19:47 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

As discovered in a recent thread chat with another PureSim playerfanowner, the Team Transactions screen does not list player trades. It would be nice (and frankly, make more sense) if it did.

Post #: 48
Disabled list/pitching staff endurance... - 1/1/2008 6:46:29 AM   
Walewander

I've only seen this once and I'm not sure on the exact circumstances, but maybe someone else has seen it... I brought a pitcher off of the  disabled list and when I did so, every other pitcher on the staff miraculously went into excellent condition in the middle of the season.

Post #: 49
RE: Aging sluggers and triples galore... - 1/1/2008 6:57:46 PM   
SpharV2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frozen Stiffer

As discovered in a recent thread chat with another PureSim playerfanowner, the Team Transactions screen does not list player trades. It would be nice (and frankly, make more sense) if it did.

Another thing from that thread. How about a section for players "On the block". Where you can put your guys, or see the players the AI is attempting to deal.

Post #: 50
RE: Aging sluggers and triples galore... - 1/1/2008 10:08:55 PM   
dneely

SpharV2:

Great suggestion!

DNeely

PureSim Vet

(in reply to SpharV2)
Post #: 51
RE: Some times it's the little things - 1/3/2008 9:21:20 PM   
jeremy7227

I don't know if this was mentioned but I would love to see the transaction info expanded to include not only the draft round but the pick number.

In this example, Signed in Round 5 (#243 overall) for $ by team...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 52
RE: Some times it's the little things - 1/5/2008 12:10:56 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

Something I stumbled across while researching something for Wrathchild, is that there is no way to sort the players in the Graphical Roster by ratings. If I go to the pitchers, I cannot chose to sort them by VELocity, for example. In fact, I'm not quite sure what order it uses to list them. Regardless, the Graphical Roster is the only way (that I know of) to compare Ratings and Stats for all of your players, from the Majors to Single-A. It would be great to have the ability to sort them, similar to clicking on the header of a column in Excel.

Thanks!

(in reply to jeremy7227)
Post #: 53
RE: Some times it's the little things - 1/5/2008 1:59:28 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

I know this will only appeal to people who play with finances on, but the addition of more negotiation options would be great. For example:

• Arbitration
  • The ability to trade a player for CASH or including CASH in a trade, or even somehow implementing the popular "for a player to be named later" condition. Where you would have to flag what eligible players the AI may consider.
  • The ability to include a player and/or team option for an additional year at the end of a contract.
  • Contract terms greater than 5 years; perhaps a 10-year ceiling? I know that you can adjust the contract term limit in the .xml file but I am looking for this option already integrated into the game. This would aid those who are not experienced (or comfortable) tinkering with .xml files.
  • Performance incentives where players could earn more for achieving certain goals; hitting X-number of home runs for example or managing Y-number of plate appearances.

Post #: 54
RE: Some times it's the little things - 1/5/2008 2:27:41 AM   
GNDN

To clarify my report request:  I like the fact that the reports can go straight to excel.   What I would like is the abilty to have a customizable download.  For example, I want to download only my team, or free agents only.

Again, I am not a programmer but if I can have filters when searching, why can't I have filters applied to downloadable reports?

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues....

Post #: 55
RE: Some times it's the little things - 1/5/2008 2:15:35 PM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: GNDN

To clarify my report request:  I like the fact that the reports can go straight to excel.   What I would like is the abilty to have a customizable download.  For example, I want to download only my team, or free agents only.

Again, I am not a programmer but if I can have filters when searching, why can't I have filters applied to downloadable reports?

The good news is this is the kind of stuff Excel "excels" at (heh). Once you get in Excel, simply choose to filter from the "Data" menu. I am using Office 2007, but I know this feature existed in previous. Then in evey column header you'll get a nice dropdown to allow for filtering, sorting etc. You can even enter expressions!

It's funny, the Export feature is one I have always been very proud of, but it looks like it's sort of "buried" on the stats screen, seems a lot of people are not really aware that it's there or of how powerful it is. I need to figure out a way to feature it more prominently.

Here are a few screen shots showing what filtering looks like in Excel:

Attachment (1)

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to GNDN)
Post #: 56
RE: Some times it's the little things - 1/5/2008 2:42:10 PM   
cdvalenta

I did not know we could export stats to Excel. After reading this post I looked for the button on some screens and still can't find it. It must be "buried" pretty good. Can someone tell me where this button is?

That is a great feature I didn't even know existed!

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 57
RE: Some times it's the little things - 1/5/2008 3:21:11 PM   
cdvalenta

Nevermind... I read some more posts and found the Export Data button. This is a really cool feature.

(in reply to cdvalenta)
Post #: 58
RE: Some times it's the little things - 1/5/2008 4:45:14 PM   
GNDN

quote:

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

The good news is this is the kind of stuff Excel "excels" at (heh). Once you get in Excel, simply choose to filter from the "Data" menu. I am using Office 2007, but I know this feature existed in previous. Then in evey column header you'll get a nice dropdown to allow for filtering, sorting etc. You can even enter expressions!

It's funny, the Export feature is one I have always been very proud of, but it looks like it's sort of "buried" on the stats screen, seems a lot of people are not really aware that it's there or of how powerful it is. I need to figure out a way to feature it more prominently.

Thanks for the quick tutorial on what is excel-lent in excel (sorry, but you started it ). I just hit September 1 and need to download fresh data to decide on what free agents to chase, who to re-sign, and what minor leaguers to move around at season's end.

I will let you know....

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues....

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 59
RE: Some times it's the little things - 1/5/2008 6:37:10 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

Oh! Here's a nice stat to add. Catchers should have throw-out percentage in their career stats, calculated yearly. Effectively showing the success percentage for how well they threw out runners stealing bases.

(in reply to GNDN)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> RE: Some times it's the little things Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI