Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 2/22/2009 7:32:35 PM   
AW1Steve

I do have CS2 PRO, I'm simply not very good with it.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 661
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 2/22/2009 7:58:22 PM   
witpqs

First installment:

1) Have Image Magick or get it and install it. [imagemagick.org] Make sure that it's in your PATH.

2) With all of the files in the same directory, open a Command Prompt window, cd to that directory, and type:

quote:

montage -mode concatenate -tile 5x WITP*.bmp out.bmp

where "out.bmp" is the output file. You can use other output file formats if you like.

One command to achieve perfect alignment. No dragging and dropping, no squinting, no fuss.

EDIT: I should add that I copied all the WITPxx.bmp files to a separate folder before doing this. It's nice to be safe and make sure that you don't grab unintended files when using a wild card expression like "WITP*.bmp".

< Message edited by witpqs -- 2/22/2009 8:05:15 PM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 662
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 2/22/2009 8:03:36 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

First installment:

1) Have Image Magick or get it and install it. [imagemagick.org] Make sure that it's in your PATH.

2) With all of the files in the same directory, open a Command Prompt window, cd to that directory, and type:

quote:

montage -mode concatenate -tile 5x WITP*.bmp out.bmp

where "out.bmp" is the output file. You can use other output file formats if you like.

One command to achieve perfect alignment. No dragging and dropping, no squinting, no fuss.

Thank you. I really appreciate your effort. Now if I can just find a teenager to translate, I'll be in great shape! Thanks!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 663
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 2/22/2009 8:28:14 PM   
witpqs

Point well taken!

I'll make it easier. You get the software installed, and I will send you batch files (.bat) with the needed commands already typed in, and written instructions in a text file (.txt).

Two pieces of software:

1) is Image Magick (mentioned above), get it at http://imagemagick.org/

2) is Ghostscript, which Image Magick uses when it converts things to and from PDF. Get it at: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

Just follow the instructions for installing them (accept all the defaults) and they should install fine. If by chance they are not properly in your PATH setting, I will be able to figure that out with you when you try to use them.

Note, they are both free and open source software with a long history. You can check them out for yourself to become comfortable with the idea. Do obtain them only from the links on the official sites that I gave you (they might link to SourceForge which is a big international clearing house for open source software). If you get them from who-knows-where then maybe you get a copy that has a virus/trojan tacked onto it - you know the drill.

The reason that I mention PDF is that it is one way that I already know that I can break up the large file into pieces for printing without any pesky resizing by Windows printing wizards and all that.

Based on what you said earlier, I will set up for two procedures. A) One big file to take to Kinko's , etc. B) Several files to print, trim, and tape together yourself.

BTW, Dili mentioned GIMP. I used it a bit a while ago but have just recently started diving into it more. I highly recommend it. Get it here: http://www.gimp.org/ just as Dili noted. It is also free and open source. Definitely use the on-line tutorials to get started.

For simple stuff you might try Paint.net (found at www.getpaint.net), which is free but (I think) not open source. It only runs on Windows. Very easy to use, especially for small things. I think that several folks use it for their AAR's. It does have limits, for example with very large files. On the other hand GIMP seems to open everything.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 664
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 2/27/2009 12:20:11 AM   
JSBoomer

Is it possible to see what Alaska and British Columbia look like in new map?

Jordan S. Bujtas
Deas Gu Cath

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 665
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/9/2009 9:18:37 AM   
Skyland

Will the small aircraft industry capacity of Thailand be included or is it eventually left to modders ?
Thanks.

(in reply to JSBoomer)
Post #: 666
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/10/2009 4:43:13 PM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyland

Will the small aircraft industry capacity of Thailand be included or is it eventually left to modders ?
Thanks.

Nope and who knows?

(in reply to Skyland)
Post #: 667
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/21/2009 5:48:39 AM   
Jorm

There was a question raised in the WITP forum about Australia running out of fuel.

I see from on of the threads that in AE Japan now has refineries, will the allies also have them ? I know in the 1940's australia only had two small refineries, relying heavily on imported refined product. This will make the logistic problems much more interesting if fuel has to be refined for the allies.

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 668
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/21/2009 10:14:36 AM   
JeffroK

From Andy's AAR

Afternoon Air attack on 4th Armoured Brigade, at 51,147 (Cunderin)

Should this be Cunderdin?

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 669
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/21/2009 11:36:33 AM   
Kereguelen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorm

There was a question raised in the WITP forum about Australia running out of fuel.

I see from on of the threads that in AE Japan now has refineries, will the allies also have them ? I know in the 1940's australia only had two small refineries, relying heavily on imported refined product. This will make the logistic problems much more interesting if fuel has to be refined for the allies.

Currently Australia has two refineries in the AE (Melbourne and Sydney). But this is still under review. Andrew Brown could tell you more.

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 670
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/21/2009 12:22:15 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

From Andy's AAR

Afternoon Air attack on 4th Armoured Brigade, at 51,147 (Cunderin)

Should this be Cunderdin?

Oops! Yes it should. Will fix.

Thanks,
Andrew

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 671
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/21/2009 12:25:14 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kereguelen
Currently Australia has two refineries in the AE (Melbourne and Sydney). But this is still under review. Andrew Brown could tell you more.

It has been brought to my attention that the Melbourne refinery (COR) was not in use during the war, so the only "refinery" in Australia will be a tiny refinery centre in Sydney representing the shale oil plants in NSW. Total output a massive 40 fuel/supply points per day.

Australia needs shipments of fuel, a lot of which is available in the Middle East.

Andrew

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 672
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/21/2009 2:10:07 PM   
tondern

Dear Andrew,

Beautiful work!

Is Georgetown (Penang) an island (as in RL), or does it have (at least) a "river" border with the mainland?

With deepest gratitude for your efforts,

Johnny

image]http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/g60000/g65971.jpg[/image]

Post #: 673
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/21/2009 10:24:41 PM   
JeffroK

Andrew, I see in Andy's AAR that the barely existing base west of Pt Moresby has been able to be bult into a port and an airfield, I cant see that this was developed into even a L1 Port IRL and IMHO has opened an historically non-existant "back door" into New Guinea.

(in reply to tondern)
Post #: 674
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/22/2009 12:03:18 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

Andrew, I see in Andy's AAR that the barely existing base west of Pt Moresby has been able to be bult into a port and an airfield, I cant see that this was developed into even a L1 Port IRL and IMHO has opened an historically non-existant "back door" into New Guinea.

Terapo was used to supply Wau, and had an airfield, I believe. It is a port SPS of 0 so it shouldn't get too big. It can be argues that a potential of size 3 is too generous, but that is the smallest we can make it. Air SPS value comes from the terrain type and represents what COULD have been done. It wasn't developed a lot in Real Life but it is a player choice to develop it and I am happy to keep it for that reason.

Andrew

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 675
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/22/2009 12:51:58 AM   
JeffroK

OK,

But that approach opens up a lot of potential sites which weren't used IRL.

My reading is that the original reinforcement unit (of less than company size) went by lugger to Terapo, by canoe up to the headwaters then by narrow track to the Wau/Bululo area. All following reos went in by air.
(I recently read "The Battle for Wau", a great coverage of a very little known area of WW2 but at $70AUD grossly overpriced.)

But, as always, if I dont like it I can change it later.

Post #: 676
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/22/2009 1:02:37 AM   
JeffroK

Oooh,

http://cas.awm.gov.au/photograph/058678

Maybe it rates as a L1 port, and it did have an emergency landing field (like a hundred other places)

(Maybe I'd be less concerned if it was in another location, but it becomes a backdoor into PNG & somewhere to outflank Pt Moresby. Just have to wait to see how its used.)

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 677
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/22/2009 1:07:22 AM   
witpqs

quote:

I thought that was exactly the idea? Real life sites that could have been used, whether they were used or not? But because they (realistically) could have been used it becomes theplayer's choice to use them or not.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 678
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/22/2009 2:07:01 AM   
Jorm

The thai aricraft production would be pretty easy to mod in by the looks, a quick google showed that they had the one factory that produced under 300 planes. There are some very interesting types produced though which would certainly add some exta flavour to the game.

If it doesnt get in i plan to add it in myself. i alway enjoy the fun small /obscure stuff.

(in reply to Skyland)
Post #: 679
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/22/2009 2:16:06 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorm

The thai aricraft production would be pretty easy to mod in by the looks, a quick google showed that they had the one factory that produced under 300 planes. There are some very interesting types produced though which would certainly add some exta flavour to the game.

If it doesnt get in i plan to add it in myself. i alway enjoy the fun small /obscure stuff.

Modibility (is a word?) was one of the great features of WITP and it's just as good in AE. With the AI scripts and additional data, even better.

Enjoy - I know I will!

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 680
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/22/2009 3:04:18 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

quote:

I thought that was exactly the idea? Real life sites that could have been used, whether they were used or not? But because they (realistically) could have been used it becomes theplayer's choice to use them or not.

Yes, that is the idea. Taken to its logical extreme there should be a dot base in EVERY land hex, but that is not so feasible with this design...

Andrew

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 681
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/22/2009 4:53:09 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

quote:

As Andrew mentions below/above, almost every hex should be a dot as they were capable of development if enough resources were thrown at them.

But as only selected hexes are chosen, it becomes important where those hexes are and if the game allows ahistorical use, ie Can I refuel my CV TF at this base (about 20km upstream? At least the current village is.)

As I havent seen the whole map I'll have to accept its been done with some thought, as mentioned, If I dont like them I can change it. But be wary of their exploitation in any PBEM.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 682
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/22/2009 8:05:12 AM   
herwin

quote:

OK,

My reading is that the original reinforcement unit (of less than company size) went by lugger to Terapo, by canoe up to the headwaters then by narrow track to the Wau/Bululo area. All following reos went in by air.
(I recently read "The Battle for Wau", a great coverage of a very little known area of WW2 but at $70AUD grossly overpriced.)

But, as always, if I dont like it I can change it later.

A lot of potential sites weren't used, and a lot of those used turned out to be highly malarial or otherwise unsuitable. The limitations were manpower and terrain intelligence not sites.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 683
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/22/2009 8:09:57 AM   
herwin

quote:

Oooh,

http://cas.awm.gov.au/photograph/058678

Maybe it rates as a L1 port, and it did have an emergency landing field (like a hundred other places)

(Maybe I'd be less concerned if it was in another location, but it becomes a backdoor into PNG & somewhere to outflank Pt Moresby. Just have to wait to see how its used.)

Based on Fire in the Sky, most emergency landing fields were just that--an opportunity to get down out of the sky--and once the pilot walked away from the aircraft, it never flew again. Bergerud also points out that the Japanese were very inefficient at cannibalising aircraft, so that operational losses were less than certain. In game terms, the bigger the ground crew force, the lower the operational loss rate, but most aircraft required rework and repair after a mission.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 684
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/22/2009 9:12:00 AM   
JeffroK

A good newspaper article detailing the port facilities and condition of the track to Wau

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22653320-31477,00.html

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 685
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/22/2009 11:31:01 AM   
Andy Mac

Port level 0 means without massive investment you will not be able to supply Terapo easily

You have no idea how important Ports are now - having a massive AF at a poor port with no good road to a port means its not really viable as a long term base without massive investment

To make that base viable as an airbase you would need to get port to lvl 3 (i.e. max)

Andy

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 686
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/23/2009 12:10:55 AM   
JeffroK

I understand, but I notice in your AAR a base and airfield has been built. It would have been a lot cheaper to build than your invasion of Pt Moresby.

While a small airfield is reasonable in this location, Terapo, or Port Chalmers(Chambers?) is at the moth of a river which is covered by a sand bar, as mentioned in the article above the coastal shipping is unloded to outrigger canoes and smaller luggers for carrying to shore. 

Terapo is some 10-20 kilometres inland (see Google maps & 1950-60's maps on the Perry Castenada Library website)

Adding potential bases is a great idea, but only if they have the potential to be developed.
I assume that the small airfields between Milne Bay & Buna which were used to fly in units of 32 US Inf Div are in the game, as well as the small ports like Portlock Hbr & Wanigela which allowed barge movement between Milne Bay & Buna ar in as well.

I suppose its a warning for all AE players, you are going to have a lot more bases to cover to ensure your flanks are safe.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 687
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/24/2009 1:20:14 AM   
Jorm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kereguelen

It has been brought to my attention that the Melbourne refinery (COR) was not in use during the war, so the only "refinery" in Australia will be a tiny refinery centre in Sydney representing the shale oil plants in NSW. Total output a massive 40 fuel/supply points per day.

Australia needs shipments of fuel, a lot of which is available in the Middle East.

Andrew

Groovy,
Where did you hear that about the COR refinery not producing during WWII ?. Its professional interest on my part, im a fuels and lubricant chemist for the dept of defence and energy security and history thereof is of great interest nowadays.

cheers

< Message edited by Jorm -- 4/24/2009 1:21:42 AM >

Post #: 688
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/24/2009 2:49:44 AM   
JeffroK

Commonwealth Oil Refineries (COR) was established in 1920 and by 1924 it had built Australia's first oil refinery at Laverton in Victoria. In 1952, the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company bought out the Australian Government's interests in COR and the company's name was later changed to BP Australia Pty Ltd.

(Accurate subject to being looked at properly)

Plus

http://vhd.heritage.vic.gov.au/places/heritage/14978
http://vhd.heritage.vic.gov.au/places/heritage/22285

< Message edited by JeffK -- 4/24/2009 2:51:47 AM >

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 689
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 4/24/2009 11:43:03 AM   
JeffroK

Andy's spies appear to be correct

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/second_world_war/volume.asp?levelID=67920
Chapter 10

The only two refineries operating in Australia at the outbreak of war
were the Shell Company of Australia's plant at Clyde, New South Wales ,
and that of the Commonwealth Oil Refinery at Laverton, Victoria. Between
them they possessed the capacity for refining about 20 per cent of
the petroleum products consumed in Australia in peace time . Both plants
were closed for most of the war : the Shell Refinery from February 1942
(after Borneo, whence it drew its supplies, fell to the Japanese) to March
1946, and the C .O.R. from March 1942 to November 1946. Another
reason for the inactivity of these refineries was that there was, in Allied
countries, a much greater shortage of crude oil tankers than of refining
capacity. For this reason the Commonwealth Oil Board took the view
that the substantial storage tanks at the local refineries would be better
employed for holding refined rather than crude oil.

But if we are talking potential, they were there if you ship in Oil, but its probably more efficient to ship Fuel

< Message edited by JeffK -- 4/24/2009 11:46:25 AM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 690
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI