Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/9/2007 8:37:52 PM   
Brady

Map Question:

From an old query of mine has this been corected?:

The Alcan Highway seams to run to Jeauno Alaska, and No road ever ran nor does run to Jeano Alaska, In Fact the Alcan Highway does not anywhear near the coat it ran from Montania through Canada up the East side of BC to the SE corner of the Youkon Teritiry then over to Alaska, at no time was near the Coast. Also it apears that Prince Rupert is not on the road, or perhaps I just misread it on the map, Prince Rupert was conected to the rest of Canada by Road and Rail links.

I asume the Alcan is not realy usable until it's Historical compleation date corect?

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 91
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/9/2007 10:07:20 PM   
bradfordkay

Brady, when you consider that Andrew's mapmod repaired the ALCAN highway mistakes of the original map, I think we can reasonably exptect that it was taken care of in the AE as well.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 92
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/9/2007 10:19:03 PM   
Splinterhead

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Brady, when you consider that Andrew's mapmod repaired the ALCAN highway mistakes of the original map, I think we can reasonably exptect that it was taken care of in the AE as well.

The layout of the highway has been corrected but, if I'm not mistaken, they can't build roads so players will have to use house rules to not use ALCAN until it's operational date.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 93
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/9/2007 10:43:23 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli
Is oil still necessary for heavy industry?

No.

Wow. Can you list what is needed for HI, LI, refinery, etc....

I listed it earlier in this thread, at least in brief. I will provide a better formatted list when I have time to do so (which is not now).

Andrew

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 94
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/9/2007 10:47:27 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Splinterhead

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

The layout of the highway has been corrected but, if I'm not mistaken, they can't build roads so players will have to use house rules to not use ALCAN until it's operational date.

Unfortunately, building of infrastructure did not get implemented. It was discussed, and might be able to be added at some point. But it is not currently included. For this reason I decide not to add the Alcan highway at all.

Andrew

(in reply to Splinterhead)
Post #: 95
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/10/2007 3:15:17 AM   
Sonny II

quote:

Unfortunately, building of infrastructure did not get implemented. It was discussed, and might be able to be added at some point. But it is not currently included. For this reason I decide not to add the Alcan highway at all.

Andrew

So you're saying it doesn't go near the coast at AT ALL?

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 96
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/10/2007 3:28:41 PM   
Knavey

Placekeeper!

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Sonny II)
Post #: 97
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/10/2007 3:46:42 PM   
duckenf

On the map, could you verify that it expands to include Aden?  And it look slike Panama/Panama Canal are *not* in it.  Bummer on that as I liked that touch.

Second, since you've shrunk the hex-size to 40m hex from 60m-hex, does this mean that the geographic area covered on-screen at any one time has now shrunk from about 1,440,000 sq miles [1500 miles E-W and 960 miles N-S] to 640,000 sq miles [1000 miles E-W and 640 miles N-S].  Is that right?

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 98
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/10/2007 5:49:02 PM   
Grotius

I thought Panama was on the new map. In fact, I thought I read that two bases are modeled there now. Maybe I read wrong?

(in reply to duckenf)
Post #: 99
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/10/2007 6:05:17 PM   
duckenf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

I thought Panama was on the new map. In fact, I thought I read that two bases are modeled there now. Maybe I read wrong?

It's hard to tell -- but in the screenshots the strategic map look slike it has some small land-mass on the far west -- near where Aden is on the CHS map but nothing in the far east to correspond to where Panama was. There is mention of "off-map hexes" to model off-map movement, so there might be a Panama Canal hex of that variety.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 100
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/10/2007 7:16:48 PM   
Sonny II

Panama is definitely in the game.

(in reply to duckenf)
Post #: 101
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/11/2007 2:08:01 AM   
Mifune

"ORIGINAL: hueglin
I would really like to see the editor include an ability to modify the pwhex file as can be done with WITP EditorX. As mentioned above, the program must exist for the new pwhex/map to be made - why not include it?" I am just adding support to both what El Cid and hueglin have said. Considering how the contributions by Subchaser, CobraAus and you Andrew have impacted the whole WitP community. I feel that such map utilities are a very necessary inclusion for the continuing betterment of the WitP community.

Perennial Remedial Student of the Mike Solli School of Economics. One day I might graduate.

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 102
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/11/2007 4:39:40 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sonny II

Panama is definitely in the game.

Yes it is. The Panama Canal zone is basically the same as depicted on my WitP 1 map. The difference being you can now move TFs through the canal (something I decided not to allow on my WitP1 map), so there are two bases, one each on the Pacific and Atlantic (Caribbean) sides.

The "landmass" in the NW corner of the map is part of Africa that serves to separate the Northern and Western map edges.

Andrew

(in reply to Sonny II)
Post #: 103
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/11/2007 4:43:16 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: medck

On the map, could you verify that it expands to include Aden? And it look slike Panama/Panama Canal are *not* in it. Bummer on that as I liked that touch.

As mentioned by Sonny II, Panama is included. Aden is as well.

quote:

Second, since you've shrunk the hex-size to 40m hex from 60m-hex, does this mean that the geographic area covered on-screen at any one time has now shrunk from about 1,440,000 sq miles [1500 miles E-W and 960 miles N-S] to 640,000 sq miles [1000 miles E-W and 640 miles N-S]. Is that right?

That's right - the area visible on the map is smaller than before (in terms of square miles - the screen layout itself is unchanged).

Andrew

(in reply to duckenf)
Post #: 104
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/11/2007 10:33:51 AM   
duckenf

quote:

As mentioned by Sonny II, Panama is included. Aden is as well.

quote:

Second, since you've shrunk the hex-size to 40m hex from 60m-hex, does this mean that the geographic area covered on-screen at any one time has now shrunk from about 1,440,000 sq miles [1500 miles E-W and 960 miles N-S] to 640,000 sq miles [1000 miles E-W and 640 miles N-S]. Is that right?

That's right - the area visible on the map is smaller than before (in terms of square miles - the screen layout itself is unchanged).

Andrew

That's excellent news about Panama; I just couldn't see it in the very small strat map in the new screenshots. Could you comment on how the 2 bases in Panama and border/off-screen movement is supposed to work?

I'm very pleased with the 40 miles hexes as that makes for (probably) better land campaigns and more interesting naval activities as well. At the same time, and I realise this is out of your control and an engine issue so not to be changed, shrinking the area visible on the map is going to be a bit of a pain, especially for LR bombing missions and medium-range naval missions.

Post #: 105
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/11/2007 1:16:00 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

That's excellent news about Panama; I just couldn't see it in the very small strat map in the new screenshots. Could you comment on how the 2 bases in Panama and border/off-screen movement is supposed to work?

I will be able to provide a better description of the off-map movement once it is fully functional! But (very) briefly - the Allies will be able to move ships to/from the map edges to several off-map bases, including Panama. This uses a special type of movement called, strangely enough, "off-map movement". A TF so moved will spend several turns "travelling" to its chosen destination. Of course it is also possible to move the other way - from the off-map boxes to the map itself. In addition it is also possible to move directly between the off-map boxes. So in this way a TF can move, for example, between the US West coast and the Indian Ocean via off-map movement (i.e. via the Atlantic).

quote:

I'm very pleased with the 40 miles hexes as that makes for (probably) better land campaigns and more interesting naval activities as well. At the same time, and I realise this is out of your control and an engine issue so not to be changed, shrinking the area visible on the map is going to be a bit of a pain, especially for LR bombing missions and medium-range naval missions.

Yes that might be the case. I guess we will find out as playtesting continues.

Andrew

(in reply to duckenf)
Post #: 106
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/11/2007 3:55:11 PM   
Grotius

quote:

I would really like to see the editor include an ability to modify the pwhex file as can be done with WITP EditorX.

I would like this too, but unless I'm mistaken, EditorX was not released with WITP either. If AE includes it, great; if not, some modder will have it ready for us within a couple weeks. From what I understand, the pwhex file is now easier to manipulate than before, so modding it should be just as feasible as it always was.

Post #: 107
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/11/2007 8:13:53 PM   
pad152

When can we a pic of the full map?

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 108
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/11/2007 9:08:07 PM   
mikemike

I recently bought a reprint of the 1918 edition of "Weyers Flottentaschenbuch" (Pocket guide to the World's war fleets - still well worth having in the contemporary editions, lists all ships of all navies with photos and line drawings). Now I'm certain that the data about the navies participating in WWI is somewhat suspect, due to propaganda/fog of war, but this was an official reference for navy officers.

There is a section in the back listing the shipyard infrastructure of those countries that had a shipbuilding industry, and in the section about Japan - Navy yards there appear the following entries:

Port Arthur: two drydocks - repair shipyard

Pescadores: one drydock, one floating dock - ship repair facility

This is information from 1918 or earlier, and those docks were not marked as suitable for major warships, but in WitP stock, neither Port Arthur nor Pescadores have repair yards. I should guess that, if those entries are correct, Pescadores would rate 5-10 repair yards, and Port Arthur 10-20 repair yards. Does AE have those facilities?

DON´T PANIC - IT´S ALL JUST ONES AND ZEROES!

Post #: 109
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/11/2007 10:20:42 PM   
DaveConn

Would it be possible to show on the base information screen (and maybe on the ground unit screens as well) the terrain type of the hex?

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 110
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/12/2007 6:58:41 AM   
Tanaka

Andrew,

The AI in the WITP I Extended map did not know how to use all the new bases. Will the AI know how to use the new bases in WITP AE?

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 111
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/12/2007 12:37:43 PM   
el cid again

quote:

quote:

I will be able to provide a better description of the off-map movement once it is fully functional! But (very) briefly - the Allies will be able to move ships to/from the map edges to several off-map bases, including Panama. This uses a special type of movement called, strangely enough, "off-map movement". A TF so moved will spend several turns "travelling" to its chosen destination. Of course it is also possible to move the other way - from the off-map boxes to the map itself. In addition it is also possible to move directly between the off-map boxes. So in this way a TF can move, for example, between the US West coast and the Indian Ocean via off-map movement (i.e. via the Atlantic).

quote:

Yes that might be the case. I guess we will find out as playtesting continues.

Andrew

If Panama is in "off map boxes" - and if only the Allies may move to Panama - then it seems that the Japanese may not threaten Panama - nor attack and damage the Canal or units stationed there. Is this correct?

Post #: 112
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/12/2007 12:42:04 PM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikemike

I recently bought a reprint of the 1918 edition of "Weyers Flottentaschenbuch" (Pocket guide to the World's war fleets - still well worth having in the contemporary editions, lists all ships of all navies with photos and line drawings). Now I'm certain that the data about the navies participating in WWI is somewhat suspect, due to propaganda/fog of war, but this was an official reference for navy officers.

There is a section in the back listing the shipyard infrastructure of those countries that had a shipbuilding industry, and in the section about Japan - Navy yards there appear the following entries:

This is information from 1918 or earlier, and those docks were not marked as suitable for major warships, but in WitP stock, neither Port Arthur nor Pescadores have repair yards. I should guess that, if those entries are correct, Pescadores would rate 5-10 repair yards, and Port Arthur 10-20 repair yards. Does AE have those facilities?

IJN had several (three I think) "Mobile Repairs Sections" - and one of these started the war in the Pescadores - they called it Baku. Eventually Mobile Repairs Sections operated at Soerabaja and Cavete - while at Hong Kong the shipyards there worked for the Japanese. Some ships were repaired and/or completed in these places - and later landing ships began building in Hong Kong late in the war.

Certainly you will find various shipyards in all these places - and many more (a tiny one at Cebu, the Indian one at Vizakapatam, etc) in RHS. If they are not in AE scenarios as released, they certainly can be in mods.

(in reply to mikemike)
Post #: 113
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/12/2007 2:03:05 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

When can we a pic of the full map?

That is a question you will have to put to Matrix.

Andrew

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 114
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/12/2007 2:06:01 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikemike

I will have to check, but I have yet to spend much time reviewing the location of naval shipyards. It is on the list though, so any useful information is welcome.

Andrew

(in reply to mikemike)
Post #: 115
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/12/2007 2:07:45 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaveConn

Would it be possible to show on the base information screen (and maybe on the ground unit screens as well) the terrain type of the hex?

That would be helpful, but I will have to pass on the suggestion to the people who look after the interface code.

Andrew

(in reply to DaveConn)
Post #: 116
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/12/2007 2:08:57 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

Andrew,

The AI in the WITP I Extended map did not know how to use all the new bases. Will the AI know how to use the new bases in WITP AE?

It should be able to. The AI is being worked on, so this can be taken into account.

Andrew

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 117
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/12/2007 2:10:29 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again
If Panama is in "off map boxes" - and if only the Allies may move to Panama - then it seems that the Japanese may not threaten Panama - nor attack and damage the Canal or units stationed there. Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct. Allowing the Japanese to also use off-map movement would have raised a whole new set of problems, not least for the AI, so it was not included in the scope.

Andrew

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 118
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/12/2007 2:14:27 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again
IJN had several (three I think) "Mobile Repairs Sections" - and one of these started the war in the Pescadores - they called it Baku. Eventually Mobile Repairs Sections operated at Soerabaja and Cavete - while at Hong Kong the shipyards there worked for the Japanese. Some ships were repaired and/or completed in these places - and later landing ships began building in Hong Kong late in the war.

Certainly you will find various shipyards in all these places - and many more (a tiny one at Cebu, the Indian one at Vizakapatam, etc) in RHS. If they are not in AE scenarios as released, they certainly can be in mods.

As I mentioned to "mikemike" - any useful information you may have on shipyard size and location would be helpful. I will be reviewing this soon.

Andrew

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 119
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/12/2007 6:05:12 PM   
Brady

Andrew Brown-

1) You saw that list of ship yards in that link posted about Japan at the end of the war?

2) So is The Columbia now a place whear ships arive at(Liberity ships,escorts,ect?)Portland/Vancover/Astoria?

3) Blimp's, so the Large fixed Blimp bases like Tillamook, are they in game?

Link for Tillamook NAS: http://www.nastillamook.org/

< Message edited by Brady -- 12/12/2007 6:12:52 PM >

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI