Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I can't decide if I want this game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> I can't decide if I want this game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I can't decide if I want this game - 12/9/2007 7:44:42 PM   
Wilmore

If you all have time please convince me why I should purchase this title
Post #: 1
RE: I can't decide if I want this game - 12/9/2007 7:47:31 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I would, but I am to busy playing this Gem.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Wilmore)
Post #: 2
RE: I can't decide if I want this game - 12/9/2007 7:56:35 PM   
Wilmore

why do you consider tis game a gem

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 3
RE: I can't decide if I want this game - 12/9/2007 8:04:08 PM   
DodgyDave

as i have played the boardgame before, i find this a great game, but the AI sucks, but as with other games like Civ 4, i am sure they will sort it out, so one can play alone, but i mainly got this, to play with other players and hope they also find a way, to perhaps setup servers, so to make turns faster :)

so it depends entirely on what you want from the game, if you should get it or not, i dont regreat my buying it, i do regreat buying COG, it looked like EIA but i did not like that game, so its all about taste :)

(in reply to Wilmore)
Post #: 4
RE: I can't decide if I want this game - 12/9/2007 8:14:27 PM   
Titanwarrior89

1.  Best Nappy wargame on the market.
2.  Will be great has pbem game and not to bad for solo-when some of the AI kinks are worked out.  But will never replace a human player.
3.  It has the Nappy era feel to hit.
4.  Great depth.
5.  Great support by Matrix team. 
6.  Its fun!
7.  Last but not least, "blonds" love Geeks who play it. 

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

(in reply to DodgyDave)
Post #: 5
RE: I can't decide if I want this game - 12/9/2007 8:18:13 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

I have been wondering whether this is a game I will purchase also. I have never looked at the Napoleon era so my knowledge there is sparse, and have never played the board game. The posts concerning both the UI and AI are putting me off a bit as well. Then there is the manual, what 129 pages or so. I'm not quite sure if I should purchase the game.

I have spent the last year playing the excellent Forge of Freedom and have made a few other purchases during that time (AGEoDS Civil War, CIE, and JT's Campaign Series)and have not 'gotten into' them in the slightest. I would like a new game for Christmas, but don't think I can wade through a bad UI without a decent manual, having no tutorial and not having prior working of the game mechanics.

So I guess for now it is a non purchase.

Am I wrong for coming to this conclusion?

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Wilmore)
Post #: 6
RE: I can't decide if I want this game - 12/9/2007 8:32:09 PM   
Suvorov928

If you like PBEM, then you should be enjoying this game for many, many, many years to come.  It has a great following from us old boardgamers, and was easily one of the best games ever, especially with 7 full players.

Once some of the bugs are worked out, it will be even better.

If you plan on playing solo only, I would wait till the A.I. is worked on.  

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 7
RE: I can't decide if I want this game - 12/9/2007 10:22:54 PM   
Titanwarrior89

One other thing.  Its one of those games-where its "Just one More turn".   Not to many games to that for me.  Especially after the rules start too open up and the game play as well.  You finally begin to understand whats going on and why. 

Still much to learn though.

(in reply to Suvorov928)
Post #: 8
RE: I can't decide if I want this game - 12/9/2007 11:18:53 PM   
Kipper

Thanks for the posts from both people who like and don't like. I have this one added to the "possible purchase after patching" pile.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 9
RE: I can't decide if I want this game - 12/9/2007 11:22:00 PM   
ASHBERY76

I will wait untill better A.I.

(in reply to Kipper)
Post #: 10
RE: I can't decide if I want this game - 12/9/2007 11:35:40 PM   
John Neal

a good game for multi player diplomacy.

If you want to learn about diplomacy,
this looks like an excellent simulation.
It's really an honest computer version of a well tested
board game.

The interface needs work.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 11
RE: I can't decide if I want this game - 12/10/2007 1:23:47 AM   
gwgardner

I too will wait until the AI patch to purchase the game.

(in reply to Wilmore)
Post #: 12
RE: I can't decide if I want this game - 12/12/2007 2:16:01 AM   
Wilmore

Thank you for the reply I also own many of the games you all mentioned It is really to bad that matrix never offers any demos. 7 out of 10 demos I try I buy

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 13
RE: I can't decide if I want this game - 12/12/2007 3:35:48 AM   
donkuchi19

I was most excited about this game because you can resolve the battles off board. I have thousands of miniatures waiting to do battle with a friend of mine once he purchases the game. You could resolve the battles with other games as well if you have some of the old battleground series and can edit them.

(in reply to Wilmore)
Post #: 14
RE: I can't decide if I want this game - 12/12/2007 3:52:03 AM   
jardail

Simply the best Strategic Napoleonic era game ever produced, board game wise.  Computer wise, it is also.

The AI isn't all it should be, but it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

(in reply to donkuchi19)
Post #: 15
RE: I can't decide if I want this game - 12/12/2007 4:57:46 AM   
Murat

There are about a dozen PBEM games going on if you do not mind a slower pace and lots of diplomacy (keep some Tums handy though).

(in reply to jardail)
Post #: 16
RE: I can't decide if I want this game - 12/12/2007 8:40:57 AM   
ravinhood

I'm on the wait until futher patches and wait and see how the AI is improved as well. But, other than that this is a classic for collectors alone. You don't get many board game conversions of games anymore. Long gone are the days of Avalon Hill lookalikes. We still have yet to get a decent "Squad Leader" like Squad Leader was made back in the late 70's. I'm still wondering how Paradox is going to screw it up again as well. Look what they did to "Diplomacy" a total flop of a remake. Horrible AI and they never did fix it. I fully expect Matrixgames to fix this one up and improve the AI to at least be challenging to the normal player. But, of course that is going to come later as Erik stated in another thread.

This game is specifically for PBEM though written all over the feedback that is coming in. That's not a total bad thing for a game of this calibur. If you've never played PBEM this is one of those games to get and try it. The back stabbing and lying and things that go on in games like these can never be had in the solo game. For me it's probably going to be wait until it's on kissmas special since I rarely buy anything NEW nowadays because it's just not finished and just recently I picked up "Forge of Freedom" and just a few days ago patch 1.10.10x came out. So, I saved money waiting and wil be getting a better game than the one released. But, as I said in another post this is one of those games of "Don't Do what I DO, Do as I Say" haha

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> I can't decide if I want this game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI