Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Age Group Playing AT

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> RE: Age Group Playing AT Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/9/2011 5:31:29 AM   
lion_of_judah

47 :)

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 181
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/9/2011 7:14:56 AM   
TheArchduke

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 182
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/9/2011 11:50:34 AM   
rjh1971

40, born ten years earlier than I should have, no much time left now to play all the great games out there.

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to TheArchduke)
Post #: 183
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/9/2011 5:31:44 PM   
mgaffn1

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 184
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/9/2011 5:47:51 PM   
Stardog

Wz up?!!..

I'm 47 I love AT!!.. Trying to Love ATG.

FAVORITE WAR GAME BOARD>> I bought PANZER BLITZ at the US Navy Base PX in Subic Bay P.I. We played it the whole cruz !! Man I love that game!!!!!! I really Wish someone would due a computer war game based on AH's PANZER BLITZ /PANZER LEADER .

FAVORITE WAR GAME COMPUTER>> War game construction set 2 "TANKS" by SSI/Norm Koger. I still play it Via DOSBox.. I wish someone would re due it too!!.

SD

< Message edited by Stardog -- 5/9/2011 6:54:58 PM >

Diplomacy without arms is like music without instruments.

Frederick the Great

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 185
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/9/2011 8:10:09 PM   
MrLongleg

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Well, to me it's just showing that wargames aren't getting saturated into the younger peoples view. Matrixgames should send things to grade schools and jr. highs to promote history learnin say the 6th and 7th grades to introduce them to wargames. This is another reason I crusade for retail store boxed games, kids just don't do searches for Matrixgames or probably even wargaming sites. They need to SEE the product in stores and in their classrooms. Perhaps Matrixgames could make some deal with 6th and 7th grade classes to post some advertisement on their bulletin boards and emphasis their FREE games they have for download?? Afterall once you've played SPWAW you're hooked. ;)

I am 48, btw and have four sons between 12 and 24. I tried to make them like the game. They all find ATG boring, call it a game for slow old farts that can't compete at Starcraft anymore due to slow hand-eye coordination.

MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 186
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/10/2011 12:27:54 AM   
Sgt.Fury25

I am a young 55.

(in reply to Powerslave)
Post #: 187
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/10/2011 1:12:59 AM   
henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: lomyrin

I guess I a mthe old fadt here  - 72.

Nope - 73!

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 188
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/10/2011 2:46:39 AM   
Magpius

AT=> 42
ATG => 46
AT* => ?

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 189
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/10/2011 4:49:46 AM   
82ndtrooper

53  :)

HHC 302nd Engineer Battalion
82nd Airborne Division
Honorably Discharged Jul/80

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 190
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/10/2011 5:03:40 AM   
dominickpa

One of the younger old farts at 67.

(in reply to 82ndtrooper)
Post #: 191
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/10/2011 7:30:30 AM   
Casus_Belli

47, from Australia. Began playing wargames (and getting interested in military history) as a teenager. I had an adult friend who had a couple of armies worth of napoleonic figurines and a rule book. We had some great games on a huge table in the garage. Strange thing is, I still make the exact same strategic mistakes I used to make then: going to attack wihout sufficient preparation or support; relying too much on luck; hasty decisions. Will I ever learn?

Now I teach and write about world order, strategy and power for a living. Follow your bliss. I went alot of different ways in the meantime, some better than others, but I got where I needed to be in the end. (Well, it's not the end yet, of course .)

< Message edited by Casus_Belli -- 5/10/2011 1:30:36 PM >

Furthermore, Carthage must be destroyed.

(in reply to dominickpa)
Post #: 192
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/10/2011 1:29:17 PM   
Casus_Belli

Forgot to mention endless games of the Diplomacy boardgame with my brother and anyone else we could persuade to play. Also a hex-game of Waterloo I played a lot in the '80s.

My son is ten and is very keen on ATG, but he has a limited amount of computer time (I'm always using it!) and it is, as someone said, a big ask for a developing brain. He's very interested in ancient history, Homer's stories and military affairs (and, yes, explosions). I tell him he won't be able to join the army because his mother would kill me.

I reckon this is the most fascinating and poignant thread I've read yet on these forums. I say thank your god/s, if you have any, for the internet. Does anyone here know anyone in their immediate real-life circle who's interested in wargames? I certainly don't, and yet we can all come here together to exercise this passion, which is a very important part of my life. Not the only important part, or even the most important, but important just the same.

Furthermore, Carthage must be destroyed.

(in reply to Casus_Belli)
Post #: 193
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/10/2011 10:24:09 PM   
rjh1971

quote:

ORIGINAL: Casus_Belli

I reckon this is the most fascinating and poignant thread I've read yet on these forums. I say thank your god/s, if you have any, for the internet. Does anyone here know anyone in their immediate real-life circle who's interested in wargames? I certainly don't, and yet we can all come here together to exercise this passion, which is a very important part of my life. Not the only important part, or even the most important, but important just the same.

Certainly not, closest one I know lives in Barcelona, some 630 Km away from Madrid, and we never met personally, only have talked over the phone.
We've got to thanks Matrix for letting us join all together from all over the world

Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to Casus_Belli)
Post #: 194
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/11/2011 8:10:31 AM   
Xornox

I am amazed how old we are . I am 39.

Perhaps it is cultural thing, but in Finland it is almost impossible to find gamers from age groups 40-70 which seems to be here well represented. I know couple of gamers from my age group, but I have never met anyone else interested for serious war gaming.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 195
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/11/2011 3:41:18 PM   
srndac

From Croatia

And been wasting my time (in almost everyone else's opinion) on wargames since I was 11 - starting with toy soldiers in my gran's back-yard (along with my cousin and neigbour) or with a kind of mosaic riddle for kids (as a 2nd option) back home when flying solo, using a kind of H.G.Wells' Little Wars-like ruleset of my own devising ... (aka: rule no.1: srndac always wins ... rule no.2: ... uh ... )

I actually have a wargames club nearby, but the guys there are too much into Warhammer for my taste (the main battle always being about whose figures look the best ... and for some reason elves always win ...) so ...

(in reply to Xornox)
Post #: 196
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/11/2011 7:55:18 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Haha well it was D&D back in my youth that had the biggest following, then it was Magic the Gathering, then Warhammer. You have to admire the success of these games. I just wish more of these people would crossover into our side of things, even a fraction of them would be a huge benfefit.

I have a gaming group that meets once a month that do play the wargames. Also, one of my old friends started up Consimworld which has put me in touch with loads of people who are immensly more hardcore wargamers than I am.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to srndac)
Post #: 197
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/11/2011 11:08:47 PM   
cveta

Born in 1975 so do your maths.
Never heard of AT until one day I meet with new neighbours and we talk about computer games. Then one of them mentioned AT and the rest is a legend. Nobady in Croatia ( exept Srndac ) never head about AT and I have a three dedicated players in a 100 m radius from my house.
One of the first strategic games is Desert rats for ZX spectrum. It was fun, it was great and if you didnot played strategies on ZX Spectrum in your youth you dont know what a game is. The best gameplay ever in game Operation Europe -path to wictory. Graphics sucks, sound sucks but gameplay - fantastic. Not a real time, not a turn based, but something in between.

Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 198
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/11/2011 11:39:55 PM   
rjh1971

Desert Rats, I remember those reorganization phases where supplies were borught to your units and offensive actions could be once more carried out!!!
Did you also play Arnhem for the spectrum?

(in reply to cveta)
Post #: 199
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/12/2011 12:19:31 AM   
Terl

56 here :)

My first wargame on a computer was Decision in the Desert on an Apple IIC

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 200
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/14/2011 9:03:43 PM   
Bombur

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 201
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/15/2011 2:21:43 AM   
mantrain

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 202
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/15/2011 3:41:01 PM   
henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stardog

Wz up?!!..

FAVORITE WAR GAME BOARD>> I bought PANZER BLITZ at the US Navy Base PX in Subic Bay P.I. We played it the whole cruz !! Man I love that game!!!!!! I really Wish someone would due a computer war game based on AH's PANZER BLITZ /PANZER LEADER .

FAVORITE WAR GAME COMPUTER>> War game construction set 2 "TANKS" by SSI/Norm Koger. I still play it Via DOSBox.. I wish someone would re due it too!!.

SD

Panzer Blitz/Leader was also known as "Panzer Bush" due to the unrealistic primary winning tactic of running from bush to bush to avoid getting hit. AAs you probably know, a much improved version was Squad Leader (Advanced Squad Leader), which required a 3-ring binder to hold all the rules. As of yet, there has been no satisfactory computer implementation of Squad Leader, the CM and Pz Command and Close Combat series probably being the closest approximations. The problem of course is the AI.

As you may also remember, a sounding of wargamers some years ago showed that by far the most popular board wargame of all time was Avalon Hill's The Russian Campaign". I practically wore out the counters for that game, and many of you older guys probably remember some of the tutorial articles for that game in "The Avalon Hill General" magazine. I only threw out these magazines and the game as well as my SSI collection of magazines and games 2 years ago when I sold the house and moved into a condo.

Henri

< Message edited by henri51 -- 5/15/2011 3:45:50 PM >

(in reply to Stardog)
Post #: 203
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/15/2011 8:03:00 PM   
Tac2i

I still have my collection of "The Avalon Hill General" magazines, S&T magazines and over 200 board wargames from TAHGC, SSI and others. The Russian Campaign was also one of my favorites. One of my favorite computer wargames was Sudden Strike (published in 1999 or 2000 I believe). For a short while I had a dedicated group of gamers playing that one a lot. AI play wasn't much fun but the online play was great. Re you collection: You probably could have gotten a nice chunk of change for those things on eBay.

Just got my free copy of Panzer Command: Ostfront yesterday (owned Panzer Command: Kharkov). That was the largest game I've ever downloaded: 1.4GB!

quote:

ORIGINAL: henri51

As you may also remember, a sounding of wargamers some years ago showed that by far the most popular board wargame of all time was Avalon Hill's The Russian Campaign". I practically wore out the counters for that game, and many of you older guys probably remember some of the tutorial articles for that game in "The Avalon Hill General" magazine. I only threw out these magazines and the game as well as my SSI collection of magazines and games 2 years ago when I sold the house and moved into a condo.

Henri

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 204
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/16/2011 12:43:02 AM   
zigzag1

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 205
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/16/2011 3:16:32 AM   
oufti

(in reply to zigzag1)
Post #: 206
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/16/2011 7:45:42 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stardog

Wz up?!!..

SD

Panzer Blitz/Leader was also known as "Panzer Bush" due to the unrealistic primary winning tactic of running from bush to bush to avoid getting hit. AAs you probably know, a much improved version was Squad Leader (Advanced Squad Leader), which required a 3-ring binder to hold all the rules. As of yet, there has been no satisfactory computer implementation of Squad Leader, the CM and Pz Command and Close Combat series probably being the closest approximations. The problem of course is the AI.

Henri

I bought a still in shrinkwrap, (legit one) AH TRC about 6 years ago. The thing I don't like about that game is that it tends to end in a draw with the base victory conditions. The alternate victory condition of secretly picking 3 cities was just too tough to pull off.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 207
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/16/2011 7:48:14 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

... . I only threw out these magazines and the game as well as my SSI collection of magazines and games 2 years ago when I sold the house and moved into a condo.

Henri

I'm sorta surprised by this, those games were likely worth hundereds of dollars if sold on EBAY.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 208
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/16/2011 10:56:18 PM   
henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

... . I only threw out these magazines and the game as well as my SSI collection of magazines and games 2 years ago when I sold the house and moved into a condo.

Henri

I'm sorta surprised by this, those games were likely worth hundereds of dollars if sold on EBAY.

I only had a few copies of Avalon Hill General, but my collection of SSI magazines was fairly complete and I still had all the games in thin boxes or still in the magazines. I also had a few other wargaming magazines like Fire and Movement. I guess I should have checked out their value before I threw them away...

I also threw away a fairly large collection of boxed wargames like The Russian Campaign, Panzer Blitz/Leader, Advanced Squad Leader, etc...

Henri

< Message edited by henri51 -- 5/16/2011 10:57:52 PM >

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 209
RE: Age Group Playing AT - 5/16/2011 11:25:50 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> RE: Age Group Playing AT Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI