Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Please Help-PBEM problems

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> Please Help-PBEM problems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Please Help-PBEM problems - 12/11/2007 8:14:20 PM   
Jonny

So I have talked my friend into buying TOAW and we are playing Tannenberg. I am the Germans. He sent me a turn and it worked fine. However read below and see his side of it.
ARRRGH!!!
Every Matrix game we’ve tried ends up having email problems. It still thinks I’m the german player. It also has the nerve to tell me that one of us may be playing with a pirated copy.
What do you get when you open the files you sent me?

I have the most recent TOAW, the one you have to register for. So I think that is the problem and I am going to check into it more. But if you have any advice or a better understanding please let me know. This is the second matrix game I have talked him into buying and he is getting annoyed.
Thanks,
Jon

Jonathan R. Rono
Post #: 1
RE: Please Help-PBEM problems - 12/11/2007 9:08:44 PM   
JAMiAM

It sounds like he and/or you are having typical newbie troubles with keeping your PBEM files organized. He is apparently trying to open up the turn that he is supposed to be sending you. That, or you're sending the wrong turn file. The pirated copy warning is what occurs when you try to open a PBEM turn, with the same executable that created it. What you two should do is get into a routine of naming your saved pbl files for the players, side and turn number that will play when the file is opened. For example, let's say your opponent's name is Ralph, and he is playing the Russians. Then, when he finishes his first turn, he names the file Ralph-vs-Jonny-GermanTurn1.pbl and sends it to you. Then, when you finish playing that turn, you name it Ralph-vs-Jonny-RussianTurn2.pbl. And so on. If the naming convention establishes the player order (by names), the side to be played, and the turn to be played in a P1vsP2-SideTurn format, then no matter how many PBEM games you have going, you should always be able to keep them straight, by looking at the file name.

Of course, over the years I've seen a lot of stubborn people simply refuse to get on board, and name the files in such haphazard fashion that it's actually surprising that they get any turns right...

Another thing that helps is to set up separate folders for your incoming turn files, and outgoing files. I keep my incoming files in separate file folders in My Documents, and save the outgoing files in the default Saves directory in TOAW III. When I''ve got a lot of games going, I'll set up separate sub-folders in the Saves directory and sort out the old saves to keep each game separated.

(in reply to Jonny)
Post #: 2
RE: Please Help-PBEM problems - 12/12/2007 12:03:39 AM   
Jonny

Thanks!

Jonathan R. Rono

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> Please Help-PBEM problems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI