Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Net Yardage issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Net Yardage issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Net Yardage issues - 12/11/2007 11:39:01 PM   
long_time_fan

Hi all,
I noticed a statistical problem with the game. According to the CFL (and I presume the NFL and major college football as well), net yards are not just the sum total of rushing and passing accumulations, but also the yardage gained from kicking (both punting and kickoffs) less the amount of the returns (return yards go to the other team). A minor issue to be sure, but will the updated 2.2 version correct this (or will it be something for FBMax 3.0).

Additionally, is there a way to preserve the single by punting the ball out of the endzone (as happens in the CFL - albeit rarely)? I had a game where a late field goal attempt in a tied game went wide but my team failed to advance the ball out of the endzone, thus conceding a single and losing the game.
All the Best,
Long Time Fan
Post #: 1
RE: Net Yardage issues - 12/12/2007 2:42:16 AM   
DirkGildun

In the NFL and in US college football, the net yardage is the sum of the net passing and net rushing yardage. Kick yardage and kick return yardage is not included.

(in reply to long_time_fan)
Post #: 2
RE: Net Yardage issues - 12/12/2007 3:28:18 AM   
Marauders

quote:

I noticed a statistical problem with the game. According to the CFL (and I presume the NFL and major college football as well), net yards are not just the sum total of rushing and passing accumulations, but also the yardage gained from kicking (both punting and kickoffs) less the amount of the returns (return yards go to the other team).

Under American rules (NFL, NCAA, HS), offensive "Net Yards" means "Net Yards from Scrimmage".

Net Yards from Scrimmage = Rushing Net Yards + Passing Net Yards.

Rushing Net Yards = Rushing Gains - Rushing Losses.

Passing Net Gain = Passing Gains - Passing Losses - Sack Yardage Lost.

Post #: 3
RE: Net Yardage issues - 12/12/2007 4:28:29 AM   
Marauders

The CFL has Net Offense = Pass + Rush - Net Losses.

Special teams yardage is not included as offensive yardage.

quote:

Additionally, is there a way to preserve the single by punting the ball out of the endzone (as happens in the CFL - albeit rarely)? I had a game where a late field goal attempt in a tied game went wide but my team failed to advance the ball out of the endzone, thus conceding a single and losing the game.

I don't believe that can be done, as there are no plays to do it.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 4
RE: Net Yardage issues - 12/12/2007 10:30:53 PM   
long_time_fan

Gentlemen,
I stand corrected.
Cheers
Long Time Fan

PS - Too bad about the rouge issue.  It is such a rare occurance in the CFL that if I lose one in a hundred that way, so be it.

Post #: 5
RE: Net Yardage issues - 12/13/2007 3:59:52 AM   
Marauders

quote:

PS - Too bad about the rouge issue.  It is such a rare occurance in the CFL that if I lose one in a hundred that way, so be it.

If it could be done with a play, I'd attempt it, but I don't see how a play would allow a punt of a ball received by the return man.

It is a pretty cool thing to see done.

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Net Yardage issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI