Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Truck Unit Icon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: The Truck Unit Icon Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/27/2007 6:27:08 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

In my mind I see the division in Kent tracing it's supply chain, even thru several HQ's, right down the road to the main HQ in London. No major disruptions there. But if located in Norway, the chain must cross those nasty blue hexes, which throws up big negative numbers. This is also affected by the amount of sea transport available, which can be used to manually increase the tonnage from port to port, via a few convenient mouse clicks. 'Sea superiority' would influence the numbers, but we don't have that in TOAW. The same with air transport, from airfield to airfield, influenced by air superiority.

Mr. Rabbit, I understand what you are describing now, it makes good sense. It does seem similar to what I was saying, I think, in that there is a specific supply chain running between higher echelon HQ's, and then from the lowest HQ to the individual units, or from a specific HQ to whatever units are attached to it.

..in the early SPI, the artillery carried the SPs with it, and used them, resupplying was done by withdrawing and sitting next to a supply train for x moves, if the supply train was empty it had to withdraw and sit on a supply point (map edge) for x moves. This system just needs converting into toaw-speak..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beān'tus all..?,

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 61
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/27/2007 11:04:02 AM   
L`zard

What scares ME the most, is that I'm finally both beginning to understand 'Our rabbit' as to his way o' thinking, and even to occasionally agree with his obscure mind-paths.........Ghod save me!

Aaahhh! Fk me running!

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 62
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/27/2007 2:22:02 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: L`zard

What scares ME the most, is that I'm finally both beginning to understand 'Our rabbit' as to his way o' thinking, and even to occasionally agree with his obscure mind-paths.........Ghod save me!

Aaahhh! Fk me running!

..wait 'til you decide to play the recorder..

..piano accordeon, yahh, fine, that's just moving the fingers, but these wind-instruments with finger-covered holes, they's a real bitch..

(in reply to L`zard)
Post #: 63
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/27/2007 9:35:42 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

quote:

And TOAW already has a formation specific supply level to help with those distant areas of operation...

That's more or less the problem. Supply isn't formation-specific so much as area specific. Units of the 1st Guards division can be supplied just fine -- if they're in Kent. Considerably harder keeping them supplied if they move to some bridgehead in Norway.

..and i'm even agreeing with you more these days, one of us must be getting old...

..but you've put your finger on the real problem with the current toaw supply, it is area not formation specific.

..At a cost, i accept, the Germans can supply a panzer korp for the drive on Murmansk. The cost is that it should use virtually every transport unit they have, given the terrain, so draining the other fronts, and the result should be that the Allies can destroy most of the cargo ships involved if unprotected, and/or do serious damage to the fighting ships deployed to protect that part of the supply line..

No...the problem with TOAW supply is that it is not volume specific. It simply does nothing to reflect the fact that more troops consume more supplies.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 64
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/28/2007 10:13:19 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And TOAW already has a formation specific supply level to help with those distant areas of operation...

That's more or less the problem. Supply isn't formation-specific so much as area specific. Units of the 1st Guards division can be supplied just fine -- if they're in Kent. Considerably harder keeping them supplied if they move to some bridgehead in Norway.

..and i'm even agreeing with you more these days, one of us must be getting old...

..but you've put your finger on the real problem with the current toaw supply, it is area not formation specific.

..At a cost, i accept, the Germans can supply a panzer korp for the drive on Murmansk. The cost is that it should use virtually every transport unit they have, given the terrain, so draining the other fronts, and the result should be that the Allies can destroy most of the cargo ships involved if unprotected, and/or do serious damage to the fighting ships deployed to protect that part of the supply line..

No...the problem with TOAW supply is that it is not volume specific. It simply does nothing to reflect the fact that more troops consume more supplies.

..if supply goes to a given formation, at the rate i set as a player, i'll be happy, at the moment the designer sets the rate and it's basically fixed at start..

..if, as the opposing player, i can really (mostly)snap that supply thread without having to go to extremes sucha s a total surround, i'll be happy..

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 65
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/28/2007 12:20:17 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

..if supply goes to a given formation, at the rate i set as a player, i'll be happy, at the moment the designer sets the rate and it's basically fixed at start..

..if, as the opposing player, i can really (mostly)snap that supply thread without having to go to extremes sucha s a total surround, i'll be happy..

Point is, that just because you can run enough supply for two battalions down that jungle track to keep them fighting doesn't mean that you should be able to run enough supply for the whole division down it.

I indeed had plenty of food for the four people we had for Christmas dinner. It doesn't follow that there was enough food for forty...but it would follow in OPART-land. That's the crux of the problem as I see it.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 66
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/28/2007 12:32:59 PM   
ColinWright

In real life...

The German success at Chemin des Dames couldn't be exploited because the Germans were never able to clear the rail line that would have allowed them to support a major offensive concentration in the penetration they had made. No doubt they were able to support x number of divisions at x percent supply per turn, but sadly, they weren't in OPART-land. Without that railway, they couldn't support 5x divisions at x percent supply.

The Germans were able to support a two-division assault on Murmansk. Now, nmaybe they could have supported three divisions. Given a herculean logistic effort, five. But had they packed in twenty, the troops would have been starving and out of ammunition in short order...except in OPART land. There they would have been just as plentifully supplied as the two divisions.

Same thing in North Africa, and for the British in Norway in 1940. It's why it was so important for the Allies to seize and clear Antwerp in 1944. Etc.

Etc.

Ultimately, the current supply model just doesn't reflect reality, and so needs to be radically overhauled. It's like if I operate on the assumption that my truck is alive and will respond to verbal exhortations. Well, I can alter the tone of the exhortations: try hectoring it instead of begging it. However, in the end, my whole approach is off, and I just won't do very well. To work reasonably well in a reasonable percentage of situations, the system needs to be volume-based. Somehow, it has to look at the tonnage of supplies that can flow into a given area, the tonnage that is flowing into that area, and the needs of the units in that area.

Coming up with the necessary paradigm may be a tall order, but it's what we need. Just like when my truck's fan-belts broke in the middle of Wyoming in February. Well, it sucked, but talking to the truck wasn't the answer. Getting out, getting the spare belts, and getting under the truck was.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 67
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/29/2007 3:25:04 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Point is, that just because you can run enough supply for two battalions down that jungle track to keep them fighting doesn't mean that you should be able to run enough supply for the whole division down it.

I indeed had plenty of food for the four people we had for Christmas dinner. It doesn't follow that there was enough food for forty...but it would follow in OPART-land. That's the crux of the problem as I see it.

..but of course it can, if i put enough transort on the job, and maybe widen the road, create some drop zones, maybe landing stages for the boats, even build a railway alongside the road, always assuming the supply exists in the first place..

..we went from 14 to 36 for Xmas, by increasing transport to include both horses, both bikes and the multicab, and by having a supply point with a good supply proficiency level, basically another family arriving, kill a couple more ducks, go get some more crates of beer

Post #: 68
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/29/2007 12:57:54 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

..but of course it can, if i put enough transort on the job, and maybe widen the road, create some drop zones, maybe landing stages for the boats, even build a railway alongside the road, always assuming the supply exists in the first place..

..we went from 14 to 36 for Xmas, by increasing transport to include both horses, both bikes and the multicab, and by having a supply point with a good supply proficiency level, basically another family arriving, kill a couple more ducks, go get some more crates of beer

Explain to me how, precisely, the British would have successfully supported ten divisions through Tromso in 1940. When you've done that, map out the logistical arrangements that would have permitted the Germans to mount a twelve-division assault on Murmansk. Then show how Antwerp wasn't really necessary for the Allies in late 1944 -- they could have just attacked all along the front anyway, and Market Garden and Patton running out of gas were just figments of the historical imagination.

I find this whole argument exasperating. It's as if I was dealing with someone who chooses not to grasp that just because my bank account suffices for me to purchase one car, I cannot purchase ten cars.

The fact is supply is volume, and yes, ten divisions require more supply than one division. It's not as if I'm trying to explain how space can be curved here. The concept isn't all that deep.

The OPART model for supply is fundamentally flawed. In it, if the Germans can supply two divisions for an attack on Murmansk, they can supply twelve just as easily. It really is as if one had a concept of finance that argued that if one has enough money to buy one car, one can therefore buy ten. Things don't work that way.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 69
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/29/2007 6:01:20 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

The OPART model for supply is fundamentally flawed. In it, if the Germans can supply two divisions for an attack on Murmansk, they can supply twelve just as easily.

Well, sort of. I would say it is flawed at the margins. Mainline scenarios that don't stretch the system don't have much of a problem. A Murmansk scenario would only have two German divisions available for attack anyway. The problem doesn't arrive until you want to do the entire eastern front or such.

Now, I'm certainly not opposed to scenarios at the margins. In fact, I'm one of the worst transgressors. But the problem is isolated to them. And, while this is an issue worthy of addressing, it's not as pressing as issues that affect all scenarios.

Post #: 70
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/29/2007 8:15:57 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

The OPART model for supply is fundamentally flawed. In it, if the Germans can supply two divisions for an attack on Murmansk, they can supply twelve just as easily.

Well, sort of. I would say it is flawed at the margins. Mainline scenarios that don't stretch the system don't have much of a problem. A Murmansk scenario would only have two German divisions available for attack anyway. The problem doesn't arrive until you want to do the entire eastern front or such.

Now, I'm certainly not opposed to scenarios at the margins. In fact, I'm one of the worst transgressors. But the problem is isolated to them. And, while this is an issue worthy of addressing, it's not as pressing as issues that affect all scenarios.

So, say Northwest Europe in 1944 would be a scenario 'at the margins'?

The fact is that this limitation of the program forces us to impose all sorts of artificial boundries on players. If you've got an Italy scenario, well, you can't draw any supply at all if you land at the fishing port Blankermo. Why? Because if you can supply one brigade through it, you can supply ten brigades. So it's take that big port or bust -- or more commonly, be constrained to make whatever compromise between the various conflicting factors was made historically.

It's not scenarios 'at the margins.' It's most scenarios, and what happens is that we either straight-jacket the player, or we accept some unrealism. Why does this happen? Because we're working with a nonsensical supply paradigm. If we had a good supply paradigm, we could pretty much let players decide for themselves just how important it was that they be able to capture a good port by D+30 or whatever. The supply they would receive -- and which units would receive it -- would be determined by the engine itself in a reasonable way rather than by some desperate event structure or arbitrary jiggling of formation supply proficiencies.

The argument that OPART more or less works for a selected subset of all possible cases even with the current model isn't really satisfactory. We could also make OPART work somehow even if it made no difference whether one attacked with one division or with ten divisions. However, things work even better when combat power is directly proportional to the number of troops committed.

Similarly with supply. Let's make that big leap.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 12/29/2007 11:50:42 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 71
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/29/2007 11:28:57 PM   
ColinWright

Before we go heading down that wrong road again, let me try pointing something out.

There may well be a legitimate debate about precisely how crippling OPART's shortcomings with supply are. I could make up a list of what things I would like to see improved in the game. Depending on my mood, supply might come in at #2, or at #3. Maybe #1.

Somebody else might rank it at #5. So be it. After all the dust settles, it'd be clear it needs to be fixed, and it'd be a lot more constructive to discuss how it should be fixed than to have a ferocious argument about just how important it is that it be fixed.

A better supply model would do a hell of a lot more for the game than having Sopwith Camels. That should be clear.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 72
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/29/2007 11:39:45 PM   
ColinWright

The other aspect of the problem I see is how hard would it be to 'fix' supply. Although White Rabbit appears to have problems with the concept, it's pretty clear to me that we're dealing with something like water. There's the total supply available, and there's the capacity of the various conduits for delivering it to the guys out there watering the lawn. Obviously, in an ideal world, one wants some ability to manipulate the flow so that certain users get the maximum possible pressure while others have to get by with a trickle.

I have a suspicion that if the problem is framed in abstract terms, it'll turn out the programming routines are already out there. It's just too common a problem not to have been solved. Everyone deals with it, in one form or another. It's not some piece of programming that would have to be written up from scratch. One just needs to substitute supply point received for kilowatts available per hour, or palettes of corn chips delivered, or dollars available for the school lunch program, or whatever.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 12/29/2007 11:52:53 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 73
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/30/2007 3:31:44 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Depends upon what you mean. The "Invade Anywhere" version? Yes, that's probably way out at the margins. But if the invasion is restricted to the historical invasion beaches then it can be pretty mainstream. (I think I have a bit of experience about that).

quote:

The fact is that this limitation of the program forces us to impose all sorts of artificial boundries on players. If you've got an Italy scenario, well, you can't draw any supply at all if you land at the fishing port Blankermo. Why? Because if you can supply one brigade through it, you can supply ten brigades. So it's take that big port or bust -- or more commonly, be constrained to make whatever compromise between the various conflicting factors was made historically.

Well, if you're going to do unrestricted amphibious invasions you're at the margins.

I'm pretty sure I was the first out there to clamor for discrete supply, and I'm still doing it. I'm not saying it isn't needed - it is. But just for certain subjects. For most subjects, that just cover an offensive on a front, it would be unnecessary overkill that would only burden the players with quartermaster duties.

You make a fine case for those subjects where it is needed, but it's exaggerating to apply that to all (or even most) scenarios.

Post #: 74
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/30/2007 3:57:23 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Before we go heading down that wrong road again, let me try pointing something out.

There may well be a legitimate debate about precisely how crippling OPART's shortcomings with supply are. I could make up a list of what things I would like to see improved in the game. Depending on my mood, supply might come in at #2, or at #3. Maybe #1.

Somebody else might rank it at #5. So be it. After all the dust settles, it'd be clear it needs to be fixed, and it'd be a lot more constructive to discuss how it should be fixed than to have a ferocious argument about just how important it is that it be fixed.

A better supply model would do a hell of a lot more for the game than having Sopwith Camels. That should be clear.

I agree, and I'm not going down that road. But "fixing supply" is a vast subject. Did you ever download the wishlist? There have been all sorts of intermediate suggestions on how to do things escalating all the way to the "nuclear" option of discrete supply handling. And it isn't a case of picking the one best way. The best way depends on the subject.

Post #: 75
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/30/2007 8:12:08 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

I agree, and I'm not going down that road. But "fixing supply" is a vast subject. Did you ever download the wishlist? There have been all sorts of intermediate suggestions on how to do things escalating all the way to the "nuclear" option of discrete supply handling. And it isn't a case of picking the one best way. The best way depends on the subject.

I've a suspicion that the 'best way' will tend to be the way that bears some resemblance to the reality of what is going on. That is, a model that treats supply as something more troops will consume more of will consis

There are various ways of dealing with people; and some will work better than others at various times. However, as a rule, assuming that they are autonomous entities with their own concerns works better than assuming they are a corporate entity conspiring to get you. Medical practice based on an understanding of the circulatory system works better than medical practice based on the theory of humors.

Etc. If we have supply system that reflects the way supply works in reality, it is bound to prove more satisfactory more often than one that is based on a nonsensical paradigm.

Morover, the current model is emphatically not satisfactory. When OPART does work, it works in spite of its supply model, not because of it. Not everyone who got sick in 1700 died. This does nothing to vindicate medical theory as of 1700.

Generally, OPART's improvements -- and this has been true since WGOTY -- have concentrated on various relatively trivial tweakings and additions. We've got the bigger cupholder, and we've even been given a roof rack. The optional air conditioning is nice. But seriously, if we are going to buy a new OPART for 2009 -- don't you think it's time to go over to fuel injection?

The shortcomings of the current model are not dramatically obvious in all situations -- but that gets back to Dr Fuddy-Duddy and his Galen not managing to kill all his patients in 1700. It does nothing to vindicate his theory of medicine.

It's time to make some serious improvements -- not to try to argue they aren't needed, or that they only apply to marginal situations.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 12/30/2007 8:51:58 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 76
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/30/2007 8:45:03 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

Depends upon what you mean. The "Invade Anywhere" version? Yes, that's probably way out at the margins. But if the invasion is restricted to the historical invasion beaches then it can be pretty mainstream. (I think I have a bit of experience about that).

quote:

Well, if you're going to do unrestricted amphibious invasions you're at the margins.

I'm pretty sure I was the first out there to clamor for discrete supply, and I'm still doing it. I'm not saying it isn't needed - it is. But just for certain subjects. For most subjects, that just cover an offensive on a front, it would be unnecessary overkill that would only burden the players with quartermaster duties.

You make a fine case for those subjects where it is needed, but it's exaggerating to apply that to all (or even most) scenarios.

The thing is, this argument is essentially circular. OPART designers are led to subjects and treatments of subjects in which the deficiencies of the supply model won't prove crippling -- voila, in most scenarios the deficiencies of the supply model don't prove crippling.

It's as if I belonged to a race of people that had never invented clothing. Well, turns out clothing isn't needed most places we live. Unnecessary in Southern California, unnecessary on Caribbean Islands, unnecessary in Southeast Asia...

I haven't proved that clothes are unnecessary. I've merely confined myself to the places where I can survive without them.

I think that if we compiled a list of the one hundred most important campaigns of World War Two, it would turn out that the current supply model would seriously impinge upon our ability to model half of them, and it wouldn't exactly be ideal for the other half. Even if it won't actually kill you to spend the night naked in coastal Southern California, it can get down to fifty degrees in San Diego, and you won't be happier for the experience. Plus, once we've got the clothes, you can go Christmas shopping in London. Clothes are kind of neat, and a valid model for supply would be as well.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 12/30/2007 8:48:49 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 77
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/31/2007 12:10:40 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

I've a suspicion that the 'best way' will tend to be the way that bears some resemblance to the reality of what is going on. That is, a model that treats supply as something more troops will consume more of will consis ...

Etc. If we have supply system that reflects the way supply works in reality, it is bound to prove more satisfactory more often than one that is based on a nonsensical paradigm. ...

It's time to make some serious improvements -- not to try to argue they aren't needed, or that they only apply to marginal situations.

Even given the perfect tonnage-based discrete/component supply system this minute not one scenario would be helped by it. Designers would first have to update their scenarios. And it would be a difficult change. Decisions about port capacities and rail/sea/air capacities would have to be made. Truck units for lifting the supplies would have to be devised. The amounts/types of supply appearing each turn at the sources would have to be programmed. That's only going to happen to a few scenarios - and only a few scenarios would really need it. For most scenarios the benefits could justify neither the programer, designer nor player efforts. (And I say that knowing that CFNA is one of those subjects that really needs it. I'm an advocate for it - but I'm also keeping it in perspective.)

Most scenarios are going to continue to rely on the existing abstract system. It makes sense to focus improvements on it first, since they will have universal and immediate impact. And there are some good ideas on how to improve it.

Post #: 78
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/31/2007 2:40:41 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

I've a suspicion that the 'best way' will tend to be the way that bears some resemblance to the reality of what is going on. That is, a model that treats supply as something more troops will consume more of will consis ...

Etc. If we have supply system that reflects the way supply works in reality, it is bound to prove more satisfactory more often than one that is based on a nonsensical paradigm. ...

Even given the perfect tonnage-based discrete/component supply system this minute not one scenario would be helped by it.

Two of the three I've seriously worked on would. Erik Nygaard's Norway would. Ben's Poland would be improved -- although here the difference wouldn't be as crucial. You yourself know perfectly well CFNA would. Given that all of these have been designed in spite of the current limitations, that's an impressive list. In fact, it's about half of the scenarios I'm familiar with.
quote:

Designers would first have to update their scenarios. And it would be a difficult change. Decisions about port capacities and rail/sea/air capacities would have to be made. Truck units for lifting the supplies would have to be devised. The amounts/types of supply appearing each turn at the sources would have to be programmed. That's only going to happen to a few scenarios - and only a few scenarios would really need it. For most scenarios the benefits could justify neither the programer, designer nor player efforts. (And I say that knowing that CFNA is one of those subjects that really needs it. I'm an advocate for it - but I'm also keeping it in perspective.)

Most scenarios are going to continue to rely on the existing abstract system. It makes sense to focus improvements on it first, since they will have universal and immediate impact. And there are some good ideas on how to improve it.

I can see your point -- but conceptually I think it's a mistake.

If you've got a really flawed paradigm, the thing to do isn't to refine it -- 'maybe if we throw blonde virgins into the volcano it'll appease the rain god...'

The thing to do is to look at replacing the paradigm. It's a really bad one. Totally nonsensical.

What -- essentially -- your argument that it would 'break' existing scenarios does is block any substantial improvement in OPART. After all, the same argument would apply to the improvements needed in air/sea warfare. It'd probably apply to any solution to the encirclement problem. It's kind of like all the great arguments against cars. They scare the horses. Well, it's time to think about putting old Ned out to pasture. A better system is what we should be looking for -- not better-designed horse shoes.

Worse, the argument also fails on another point. After all, the old system is already there. Designers could simply default to that, or switch to the new chunk of programming for determining supply. At least in theory, it's not an either/or choice. One could have a system that could apply either set of routines for determining supply.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 12/31/2007 2:50:29 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 79
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/31/2007 5:11:07 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

Even given the perfect tonnage-based discrete/component supply system this minute not one scenario would be helped by it.

Two of the three I've seriously worked on would. Erik Nygaard's Norway would. Ben's Poland would be improved -- although here the difference wouldn't be as crucial. You yourself know perfectly well CFNA would. Given that all of these have been designed in spite of the current limitations, that's an impressive list. In fact, it's about half of the scenarios I'm familiar with.

That's not what I meant. Neither Yours, Erik's, Ben's, or mine would be improved at all - until we each made very difficult updates to them. Now, some scenarios will get those updates. But there will be hundreds of others that won't. Either the designers aren't around anymore, or there just isn't enough justification for the effort. Of the ten subjects I've simulated, only one (CFNA) would justify such an update. The current abstract system will remain the system of choice for most scenarios. It has to get priority.

Post #: 80
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/31/2007 9:23:59 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's not what I meant. Neither Yours, Erik's, Ben's, or mine would be improved at all - until we each made very difficult updates to them. Now, some scenarios will get those updates. But there will be hundreds of others that won't. Either the designers aren't around anymore, or there just isn't enough justification for the effort. Of the ten subjects I've simulated, only one (CFNA) would justify such an update. The current abstract system will remain the system of choice for most scenarios. It has to get priority.

This is backwards. We can talk about keeping OPART the same -- or we can talk about improving it. Almost necessarily, any substantial improvement will require that existing scenarios be revised to take advantage of it. Did you argue against the addition of supply units on the grounds that existing scenarios would have to be revised to take advantage of them?

Look, just surrender and agree with me. Then we can quit wasting time and get on with working out what exactly the new supply system should be. Better still, we can argue about that. That would be potentially useful.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 12/31/2007 9:26:56 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 81
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 12/31/2007 9:39:18 PM   
ColinWright

I realize the above skips over a couple of points contained in 'Curtis LeMay''s post -- so let me deal with those.

1. 'Changing existing scenarios would be 'very difficult.'' Thinking about Seelowe, I don't think so. I'd 'have' to rip out all the jerry-built structures I've got for channeling only a limited amount of supply to various minor ports -- but (a) that wouldn't disturb me much, and (b) it certainly wouldn't be 'very difficult.' The objection that the change would be 'very difficult' fails on two points. First, that it would be difficult is pure speculation. Second, if the old system was kept as the default, no one would have to make the change at all if they didn't want to/had drifted off to other career endeavors.

2. 'We should concentrate on improving the existing system.' Theoretically, there's some validity to this point.

However, I disagree. First, there's the interesting point that unlike as with adding an entirely new alternative system, such changes would necessarily affect existing scenarios. Such changes would actually impose the need to revise existing scenarios that 'LeMay' inaccurately claims my approach would. I'm reminded of the havoc wrought with Seelowe by the 'improvements' made to accommodate low-MP units. Tinkering with existing mechanisms is not the way to allow existing scenarios to continue to function.

Second, in principle, I don't think much can be accomplished without a major addition. The current supply paradigm is nonsense at heart. Supply isn't like cell phone reception. It's a function of potential volume delivered and actual consumption/demand. Let's not waste time trying to make the flying carpet work. Let's start building airplanes. That's how we can get to Disney World.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 12/31/2007 9:50:02 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 82
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/1/2008 5:52:24 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Look, just surrender and agree with me.

Nuts!

quote:

Then we can quit wasting time and get on with working out what exactly the new supply system should be. Better still, we can argue about that. That would be potentially useful.

We are arguing about that. The best solution has to first focus on enhancements to the existing system for the reasons I've listed.

Post #: 83
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/1/2008 6:08:48 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

1. 'Changing existing scenarios would be 'very difficult.''

Yep. Gotta research historical supply tonnages, port capacities, truck reserves, rail stuff, etc. etc. Then create all of that transport capacity structure in the scenario. For most subjects, I wouldn't even know where to begin. The original SPI CFNA had a lot of that stuff built into it that I can use as a reference. But I'd be on my own for the rest of them. It will be beyond the capacity of most designers. Fortunately, it's only really needed for a certain subset of scenarios.

quote:

First, there's the interesting point that unlike as with adding an entirely new alternative system, such changes would necessarily affect existing scenarios. Such changes would actually impose the need to revise existing scenarios that 'LeMay' inaccurately claims my approach would. I'm reminded of the havoc wrought with Seelowe by the 'improvements' made to accommodate low-MP units. Tinkering with existing mechanisms is not the way to allow existing scenarios to continue to function.

Major changes to the supply system would be implemented as advanced rules options, unlike the bug-fix that you're objecting to.

quote:

Second, in principle, I don't think much can be accomplished without a major addition. The current supply paradigm is nonsense at heart. Supply isn't like cell phone reception. It's a function of potential volume delivered and actual consumption/demand. Let's not waste time trying to make the flying carpet work. Let's start building airplanes. That's how we can get to Disney World.

It works fine for most subjects. And it's far more playable and usable than what you're demanding. And there are a number of ideas that, if implemented, would improve it a bunch, and would be far easier to implement.

Post #: 84
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/1/2008 9:55:57 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

1. 'Changing existing scenarios would be 'very difficult.''

Yep. Gotta research historical supply tonnages, port capacities, truck reserves, rail stuff, etc. etc.

No...that's the beauty of starting from such an abysmally low point. We don't need to do much research to know that less supply can be landed at Dieppe than at Cherbourg. So we can make it possible to land ten times at much at Cherbourg rather than the same amount.

Choice was made without research, but we've already improved things. Guaranteed.

It's like we're living in Somalia. We don't really need to work out whether to emigrate to Canada, Denmark, or Chile. Any one of the three is certain to constitute an improvement.

Now, since you don't know which would be the perfect choice, you say we should stay in Somalia. I say move -- and rest assured it'll be a change for the better.

At this point, rather than picking through the rest of your post, let me observe that your protests notwithstanding, we are arguing about whether or not to make a significant change at all, and I regard that as a waste of time.

The day of the horse and buggy is gone. Throwing virgins into the volcano is not a valid technique for improving the harvest. Supply is not like cell phone coverage. We need a volume-based supply system -- not improved virgins.

Look me up when you accept that.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/1/2008 10:00:39 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 85
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/2/2008 1:43:58 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

Major changes to the supply system would be implemented as advanced rules options, unlike the bug-fix that you're objecting to.

Parenthetically, you folks may be evolving your own set of semantically-loaded terminology.

'Bug fix.' A change that happens to have had major and apparently unanticipated effects on a wide range of scenarios but that you are unprepared to consider modifying or reversing.

'Feature.' A bug that you have learned to exploit and wish to continue exploiting.

'Bug.' A feature that others exploit and that you wish they wouldn't exploit.

'An improvement that would affect only fringe scenarios.' Any change that would require significant programming effort.

'An improvement that would 'break' existing scenarios.' See above.

'A change that would unnecessarily complicate the game and make it unplayable.' See above.

Not that all your arguments are without foundation -- but the semantic devices used to put them over are wearing a tad thin. Really, I would prefer that OPART IV be a significantly improved product. Not to bitch -- but OPART III was kind of a zero-sum change from my point of view. In fact worse than that. All I got were more events. In exchange, I had the guts of my scenario significantly damaged. Sort of like discovering that that great cure for my acne has given me colon cancer. Of course, primarily my problem, but still...

Let's make OPART IV something that is really a better game. Not just last year's model with redesigned cup holders and a transmission that happens to make the car impossible to start if parked on a hill. ****ing artillery range circles. Wow...

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/2/2008 1:45:12 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 86
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/2/2008 6:08:27 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

No...that's the beauty of starting from such an abysmally low point. We don't need to do much research to know that less supply can be landed at Dieppe than at Cherbourg. So we can make it possible to land ten times at much at Cherbourg rather than the same amount.

Choice was made without research, but we've already improved things. Guaranteed.

Not necessarily. Before Cherbourg was a supply terminal and Dieppe wasn't. That's probably closer to reality than the above. It really is a research problem. Regardless, even if you just guess, all those capacity design choices for ports and lift have to be made, implemented, and tested. And few will want to just guess. It's a very difficult task that most won't bother with.

quote:

It's like we're living in Somalia. We don't really need to work out whether to emigrate to Canada, Denmark, or Chile. Any one of the three is certain to constitute an improvement.

Now, since you don't know which would be the perfect choice, you say we should stay in Somalia. I say move -- and rest assured it'll be a change for the better.

Having endured enough bad analogies in this thread to choke a horse, I thought I'd provide a good analogy:

Helicopters must replace cars!

Think of the problem of getting from point A to point B. The helicopter is the best way to do it. You can lift off from your driveway, zoom straight to the destination at hundreds of miles per hour, bypass all those traffic jams on the ground, and land right in the parking lot of your destination. And the view is spectacular. Why use cars? they require those expensive roads that have to weave around obstructions, require bridges that can fall down or ice over, creep along at a snails pace, pile up in traffic jams, and the view is pedestrian.

Oh sure, helicopters are massively expensive, extremely dangerous, very hard to learn to operate, and incredibly fuel inefficient. But if enough development effort were applied to them they would soon be just as cheap, safe, easy to use, and efficient as cars. Clearly, we should abandon further development of the obviously retrograde car thing and redirect it all to helicopters!

The fact is only a few special transportation circumstances will ever warrant the use of helicopters. Kind of like discrete supply handling.

Now, I'm not saying helicopters shouldn't get any further development, just that irrational exuberance over them as the solution to all transport issues is nuts.

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 1/2/2008 6:09:47 PM >

Post #: 87
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/2/2008 6:12:51 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

'Bug fix.' A change that happens to have had major and apparently unanticipated effects on a wide range of scenarios but that you are unprepared to consider modifying or reversing.

It's not semantics to call a bug a bug. And no one has refused to "consider modifying" it. In fact, check the latest wishlist. (There's no guarantee of any item in the wishlist getting implemented of course).

Post #: 88
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/2/2008 8:33:18 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

Not necessarily. Before Cherbourg was a supply terminal and Dieppe wasn't. That's probably closer to reality than the above. It really is a research problem. Regardless, even if you just guess, all those capacity design choices for ports and lift have to be made, implemented, and tested. And few will want to just guess. It's a very difficult task that most won't bother with.

...and therefore, we should stick with a paradigm in which the mechanism governing the distribution of supply bears no relationship whatsoever to historical or even physical reality.

I think we should resolve combat by looking at which unit name comes first if the units are arranged in alphabetical order. This would be only slightly less arbitrary than the current supply system -- and you should be able to defend it on similar grounds and with equal facility.

...many ways of refining this fine system so as to improve the simulation as well. For example, Nordic runes could be considered to be near the start of the alphabet. On the other hand, Italian word endings in unit names would automatically move the unit to the bottom of the list. No need for radical change -- the paradigm's just fine...

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/2/2008 8:34:47 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 89
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/2/2008 8:42:11 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

Now, I'm not saying helicopters shouldn't get any further development, just that irrational exuberance over them as the solution to all transport issues is nuts.

This ignores the examples and arguments I've offered to the contrary. To prove your assertion that the current supply system is satisfactory, you simply repeat it.

The fact is that the current crop of scenarios is skewed towards those situations and treatments of situations in which a nonsensical supply distribution routine won't have crippling effects, and even then, the scenarios work in spite of the supply system, not because of it. We design around the limitations of the supply system. This doesn't mean it's just fine.

You might as well observe that America has a relatively high crime rate and that the economy generally works fairly well -- and then leap to the conclusion that gang warfare and muggings are just fine as a mechanism for social and financial interaction. Our economy functions in spite of these phenomena, not because of them. Similarly with existing OPART scenarios and the inane supply paradigm.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/2/2008 8:47:58 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: The Truck Unit Icon Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI