Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Truck Unit Icon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: The Truck Unit Icon Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/9/2008 11:26:27 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright
But in TOAW, supply points are sources of infinite supply. If they can keep one brigade operating at a given level, they can keep a hundred operating at that level at a given point.

First, my comment referred to the implementation of Discrete Supply. You literally asked me for my input on it, so I provided it. You're the one who says that supply sources should be unlimited for that purpose:

"It may be reasonable to treat supply as the ability to distribute supplies from an essentially infinite stockpile."

Well here we're getting into some semantic confusion -- although I think you know perfectly well what I mean.

By 'stockpile' I am not referring to the term as employed in the OPART manual. I mean the literal stockpile: the oil in the ground in Texas, the wheat growing in Canada, the artillery pieces coming off the line in Essen.

I think that for our purposes its best to ignore such numbers. Rather and more generally, supply at OPART's level is a function of the ability of the combatants to actually distribute such goods within the theater of operations. That is primarily a function of transportation assets, and the logistical network, and such.

Now, there's a semantic path in all that to continue to somehow justify the current system, but I'd rather you didn't take it. Why don't you think about how a good supply system would work, instead?

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 121
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/9/2008 11:42:19 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious
OK: what are the major improvements which can be delivered to the supply distribution model in existing scenarios without any extra work being done on those scenarios?

5.7 (eliminates infinite supply lines)
5.8 (radius depends on MPs not just hexes)
5.9 (a semi-supplied state - part of the fix to infinite supply lines)
5.14 (component supply types).

But there's more to the supply problems than just distribution. Other issues:

5.2 (fix the ant attack problem)
5.4 (fix the supply cost of movement problem).

None of the above would require scenario editing. And even if other items would require editing, there is a cost/benefit consideration. Most are going to be far cheaper than item 5.15.

And, note that some of the above are actually prerequisites for discrete supply handling:

5.2 because it's pointless to address any supply issue until the ant attack thing is fixed.

5.4 because the supply cost of movement must be addressed first since the lift for the supply is going to be consuming fuel as it moves - otherwise the lift will eat all the fuel before delivering any in some environments - or consume almost none in others.

And 5.14 - Component supply goes hand in hand with discrete supply handling. Equipment needs to be rated for the tonnage of both the ammo and fuel it needs to reach full supply. Ammo amount would be based upon AP, AT, & AA ratings; fuel amount on movement type, etc.

quote:

Certainly, nothing which addresses the particular problem that Colin has raised- which is the single biggest problem with the supply system.

For Colin's scenario. Few others. Item 5.6 (Supply units as supply points) could help, though.

quote:

quote:

The ship design issue is clearly labeled as "revolutionary" in the wishlist.

And yet you're eagerly hammering away at it, even though the benefits would be felt in fewer scenarios than would be the case for supply improvements.

I am not. I understand it to be a "blue sky" issue. If we really want Naval Warfare, then it will eventually need to be included. But far easier items should precede it.

The problem with your approach is that it ignores the fundamental unreality of the current supply paradigm. So you'll get things all fixed up, and the progress you'll have made will have been sharply limited -- because you'll still be stuck with the faulty underlying paradigm.

It's like modern India. Well, you can go there and ignore the caste system and make all these changes. The place still doesn't vault into the First World. It gets a lot better in some respects, but it still doesn't make that jump. Never can -- because you've never addressed the root problem.

Furthermore, you have now created the argument that we can't do anything about the supply paradigm until we've addressed all these other things. Nonsense: why can't we work on a volume-based supply even though the ant-unit problem and the greater need artillery units have for supply problem etc have been addressed? The argument is totally specious.

We can address ant units or not address them, and we can address supply or not address it. The two are only related to the extent that if we do work out where we want to go with supply, we might have a better idea of what the best solution to ant units would be. You would have it that we should address ant units as if the current supply model is never going to be abandoned. That's obviously exactly the wrong approach to take.

...Unless, of course, your purpose is simply to pile up more rubble to keep things where they are. Frankly and to repeat: you're simply setting your back against this particular improvement and refusing to discuss it. Worse, you are discussing it -- but in a totally non-constructive way. Instead of admitting the world is round and getting on with discussing ways of getting to China, you're persisting in insisting the world's flat. It's causing us to waste a great deal of time.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 122
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/9/2008 11:47:08 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

I suppose with your reading comprehension skills everyone must seem pig-headed. What a way to go through life!

Sometimes all that's necessary to do to comment on somebody is to quote them.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/9/2008 11:48:23 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 123
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 2:30:59 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

OK: what are the major improvements which can be delivered to the supply distribution model in existing scenarios without any extra work being done on those scenarios?

5.7 (eliminates infinite supply lines)
5.8 (radius depends on MPs not just hexes)
5.9 (a semi-supplied state - part of the fix to infinite supply lines)
5.14 (component supply types).

But there's more to the supply problems than just distribution. Other issues:

5.2 (fix the ant attack problem)
5.4 (fix the supply cost of movement problem).

None of the above would require scenario editing. And even if other items would require editing, there is a cost/benefit consideration. Most are going to be far cheaper than item 5.15.

And, note that some of the above are actually prerequisites for discrete supply handling:

5.2 because it's pointless to address any supply issue until the ant attack thing is fixed.

5.4 because the supply cost of movement must be addressed first since the lift for the supply is going to be consuming fuel as it moves - otherwise the lift will eat all the fuel before delivering any in some environments - or consume almost none in others.

And 5.14 - Component supply goes hand in hand with discrete supply handling. Equipment needs to be rated for the tonnage of both the ammo and fuel it needs to reach full supply. Ammo amount would be based upon AP, AT, & AA ratings; fuel amount on movement type, etc.

[
[.

..beg to differ..any change to play mechanics means a reworking of a scenario, major or minor but still needed..

..re 5.2..what on earth have ant-attacks to do with the problem of the current supply model ? and why should solving them take priority ? they're only a minor issue with currently available solutions or work-rounds, which supply is not..

..re 5.4..sorry, i'm not sure if your comment "otherwise the lift will eat all the fuel before delivering any in some environments - or consume almost none in others" is to be taken as a negative thing or not. It's what happens, a horse consumes the fodder it can carry in 9 days, 23 ish if the load is on wheels, the US allied supply line in late 44 was using more gasoline to transport gasoline than it was delivering, hence the need for Antwerp..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beān'tus all..?,

Post #: 124
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 2:38:26 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

quote:

But in TOAW, supply points are sources of infinite supply. If they can keep one brigade operating at a given level, they can keep a hundred operating at that level at a given point.

First, my comment referred to the implementation of Discrete Supply. You literally asked me for my input on it, so I provided it. You're the one who says that supply sources should be unlimited for that purpose:

"It may be reasonable to treat supply as the ability to distribute supplies from an essentially infinite stockpile."

Well here we're getting into some semantic confusion -- although I think you know perfectly well what I mean.

By 'stockpile' I am not referring to the term as employed in the OPART manual. I mean the literal stockpile: the oil in the ground in Texas, the wheat growing in Canada, the artillery pieces coming off the line in Essen.

I think that for our purposes its best to ignore such numbers. Rather and more generally, supply at OPART's level is a function of the ability of the combatants to actually distribute such goods within the theater of operations. That is primarily a function of transportation assets, and the logistical network, and such.

Now, there's a semantic path in all that to continue to somehow justify the current system, but I'd rather you didn't take it. Why don't you think about how a good supply system would work, instead?

..for most scens it's fair to accept the infinite stockpile, as defined above, buuuuttttt it's a scale thing, if the map has the base sources on it then even the base-stockpile needs to enumerable. Take Ploesti, destroy Ploesti, isolate Ploesti, whatever, and the German gasoline number has to drop..

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 125
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 3:30:18 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

quote:

..for most scens it's fair to accept the infinite stockpile, as defined above, buuuuttttt it's a scale thing, if the map has the base sources on it then even the base-stockpile needs to enumerable. Take Ploesti, destroy Ploesti, isolate Ploesti, whatever, and the German gasoline number has to drop..

Yeah, but generally such effects occur outside the timespan of the scenario. The Schweinfurt raid proving successful doesn't have the least effect on the number of new Panthers actually reaching the front for at least three months. The scenario would have to be of truly gargantuan scale before Ploesti being bombed or not bombed would affect anyone.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 126
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 3:55:44 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, but generally such effects occur outside the timespan of the scenario. The Schweinfurt raid proving successful doesn't have the least effect on the number of new Panthers actually reaching the front for at least three months. The scenario would have to be of truly gargantuan scale before Ploesti being bombed or not bombed would affect anyone.

..true, but the scens just seem to get bigger in scope, war in Europe, FitE, China 37 to 45, etc. Whether toaw was designed to do this size is now almost irelevant, the fact is those are the scens being produced and played, future toaw development has to take this into account..

..i've about a eighth of a circular world map, land scale correct, view from the North Pole, finish that and WW2/WW3/WW4 become possible as scens, increase map size from 300*300 and the same game gets more detailed..

Post #: 127
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 5:57:16 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

..true, but the scens just seem to get bigger in scope, war in Europe, FitE, China 37 to 45, etc. Whether toaw was designed to do this size is now almost irelevant, the fact is those are the scens being produced and played, future toaw development has to take this into account..

..i've about a eighth of a circular world map, land scale correct, view from the North Pole, finish that and WW2/WW3/WW4 become possible as scens, increase map size from 300*300 and the same game gets more detailed..

I can understand these things being fun to design -- but playing them?

I remember playing one monster that was the front of an entire army group at 5 km per hex or some such absurdity. Each turn took -- and I am not exaggerating -- five hours to play. That was if one actually tried to follow some coherent plan and execute it with some tactical finesse, of course.

You can't play these things intelligently -- you just can't. It's too hard to relate the overall picture to the tactical minutia. I mean, you can shove units and all -- but overall strategy has to just go out the window. I'm invading Italy and trying get Rome -- and why? Damned if I know. Just sort of happened. It was in front of me.

Anyway, you're right. These things do keep appearing. Still, I'll certainly campaign vigorously against programming time and resources going in this direction. Given OPART's shortcomings in what it already professes to simulate, adding the features needed for 'strategic' warfare is a bit like installing computer-controlled guidance systems on a car that doesn't happen to have working brakes. How about getting the basic systems right first?

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/10/2008 6:00:14 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 128
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 8:36:41 AM   
a white rabbit

..i'm not even sure about "fun to design"..

..but they exist, and toaw's the only engine that can do them, the only one i can think of anyway, so the changes should allow for this, it's a big part of the toaw future..

Post #: 129
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 9:26:31 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

..i'm not even sure about "fun to design"..

..but they exist, and toaw's the only engine that can do them, the only one i can think of anyway, so the changes should allow for this, it's a big part of the toaw future..

To repeat: I think it would be a good idea to get the brakes right first.

There are several dynamics that drive the choice of improvements in TOAW that I can understand but don't feel any need to approve of. Broadly, one is the preference of the programmers for the quick 'n easy: more events, a bigger database, changes to the display.
The other is stuff that expands the apparent range of the game: 19th century muskets -- now, production.

There's nothing wrong with most of these per se (although I could have done without the apparent effective elimination of early turn ending). What is unfortunate is that they divert time and energy from ever addressing the central failings of the program, the most serious and inarguable of which is the absurd supply paradigm. I don't mind if TOAW XII makes it possible to ramp up production by terraforming in the 28th century interstellar warfare scenarios -- I'd just like to see a better supply paradigm in place by then as well.

Some of us really would like to see TOAW provide accurate simulation. Bells and whistles be damned -- I want a dynamic that reproduces the pressures and events of actual warfare as closely as possible. We've had 'improvements' that have done little to add to the game from this perspective: the whole nineteenth century database, for example. We've even had 'improvements' that have significantly damaged the ability of the engine to simulate actual warfare: the hobbling of early turn ending. It'd be nice to see some improvements that significantly improved the quality of the simulation by actually addressing some of the major shortcomings that have been there ever since TOAW I.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/10/2008 9:36:49 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 130
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 12:18:14 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

quote:

Certainly, nothing which addresses the particular problem that Colin has raised- which is the single biggest problem with the supply system.

For Colin's scenario. Few others. Item 5.6 (Supply units as supply points) could help, though.

No- not for Colin's scenario. He's actually come up with a workaround.

Here's one for you. Name the two most popular TOAW scenarios. Answer:
1. Europe Aflame
2. Fire in the East

In both of these, the problem being discussed here is critical. In the first case, I'd consider it gamebreaking. It's practically a default action in that scenario to send a million man army to North Africa.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 131
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 12:27:01 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah. All you need are special units, sea roads, several house rules, an event structure, and you're there -- sort of. Of course, Penzance can still support twenty regiments at exactly the same level as it can support one. You'll just find it hard to get them there.

Supply system in OPART is just great.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 132
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 12:41:25 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

I remember playing one monster that was the front of an entire army group at 5 km per hex or some such absurdity. Each turn took -- and I am not exaggerating -- five hours to play. That was if one actually tried to follow some coherent plan and execute it with some tactical finesse, of course.

This is true- but these scenarios are numerous and popular. Bob's assertion that only a few freak scenarios place this kind of demand on the system is clearly false.

Anyway, what these scenarios are good for is team play. Makes for slow play- but managing an army group in the context of the general situation is quite fun.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 133
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 1:08:48 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Yeah. All you need are special units, sea roads, several house rules, an event structure, and you're there -- sort of. Of course, Penzance can still support twenty regiments at exactly the same level as it can support one. You'll just find it hard to get them there.

The fact is there just aren't that many units. The problem in your scenario will never be as severe as when forty German divisions descend on 8th Army in Europe Aflame.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 134
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 6:20:22 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

..beg to differ..any change to play mechanics means a reworking of a scenario, major or minor but still needed..

That's not true. An improvement in mechanics would improve a lot of scenarios immediately. Regardless, none of the listed items require editing in order to be implemented, which was what I was saying.

quote:

..re 5.2..what on earth have ant-attacks to do with the problem of the current supply model ? and why should solving them take priority ? they're only a minor issue with currently available solutions or work-rounds, which supply is not..

Because it's pointless to finely model the delivery of supply if it can be trivially sucked out of defenders. And there are no workarounds and it's a very serious problem.

quote:

..re 5.4..sorry, i'm not sure if your comment "otherwise the lift will eat all the fuel before delivering any in some environments - or consume almost none in others" is to be taken as a negative thing or not. It's what happens, a horse consumes the fodder it can carry in 9 days, 23 ish if the load is on wheels, the US allied supply line in late 44 was using more gasoline to transport gasoline than it was delivering, hence the need for Antwerp..

Of course. But it shouldn't depend upon the environment selected to simulate the subject. Those costs should be independent of environment. That's not the case now. Some are very costly while others are very cheap.

Post #: 135
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 6:33:08 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

Item 5.6 (Supply units as supply points) could help, though.

He should take a look at that idea. It could model the sea supply thing - a lot easier than discrete supply. Not the port capacity part, but that's overblown.

quote:

Here's one for you. Name the two most popular TOAW scenarios. Answer:
1. Europe Aflame
2. Fire in the East

In both of these, the problem being discussed here is critical. In the first case, I'd consider it gamebreaking. It's practically a default action in that scenario to send a million man army to North Africa.

Do I really have to tell you that those two are way out at the margins? And how is it critical to FITE?

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 136
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 6:33:09 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

That's not true. An improvement in mechanics would improve a lot of scenarios immediately. Regardless, none of the listed items require editing in order to be implemented, which was what I was saying.

That would also be true of a volume-based supply system. Presumably, just about all the values would defaults.
quote:

quote:

Because it's pointless to finely model the delivery of supply if it can be trivially sucked out of defenders. And there are no workarounds and it's a very serious problem.

I agree ant-unit attacks are a major problem, and obviously they are connected to supply. But to say that therefore ant unit attacks have to be addressed before the supply system is addressed is pure sophistry. One might as well announce that crime rates have to be reduced before inner city schools can be improved.

There is in fact no necessary relationship. Nothing about ant unit attacks requires us to go on using a nonsensical supply system.

quote:

quote:

Of course. But it shouldn't depend upon the environment selected to simulate the subject. Those costs should be independent of environment. That's not the case now. Some are very costly while others are very cheap.

If I understand you aright, you're claiming that it should make no difference whether those twenty five kilometers the supplies have to be brought over are jungle or open plain.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 137
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 6:40:25 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

Do I really have to tell you that those two are way out at the margins? And how is it critical to FITE?

Kind of funny how you cling to this. A variety and range of scenarios have been cited as examples of scenarios that are clearly and visibly hampered by the inanity of the current supply system, and you just successively label each one as 'way out on the margins.'

Fact is, supply is of course universal, and a nonsensical supply system will tend to have virtually universally baleful effects. That in some cases the effects aren't devastating and that in others the effects can be successfully obscured by accepting limitations in the design is no more evidence that the supply system is satisfactory than the fact that some heroin addicts manage to hold down jobs proves that drug is good and good for you.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 138
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 6:41:44 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

That would also be true of a volume-based supply system. Presumably, just about all the values would defaults.

That's a pipe dream that wouldn't work worth a damn and would be a colossal waste of coding effort.

quote:

I agree ant-unit attacks are a major problem, and obviously they are connected to supply. But to say that therefore ant unit attacks have to be addressed before the supply system is addressed is pure sophistry. One might as well announce that crime rates have to be reduced before inner city schools can be improved.

There is in fact no necessary relationship. Nothing about ant unit attacks requires us to go on using a nonsensical supply system.

It's not sophistry. If we're going to model any sort of "tenuous" supply condition then we can't retain the defender's ability to trivially strip a unit of its supply. And the supply system is only nonsensical for unresticted amphbious operations.

quote:

If I understand you aright, you're claiming that it should make no difference whether those twenty five kilometers the supplies have to be brought over are jungle or open plain.

Environment = hexscale/timescale combinations. Not terrain.

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 1/10/2008 6:44:32 PM >

Post #: 139
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 6:46:55 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Kind of funny how you cling to this.

Because I'm right. EA and FITE are definitely out on the margins. Any scenario that depends upon unresticted amphibious opertions is out on the margins. Those are the only scenario types you've listed.

And I'll ask again: How is this critical to FITE?

Post #: 140
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 6:56:28 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

Because I'm right. EA and FITE are definitely out on the margins. Any scenario that depends upon unresticted amphibious opertions is out on the margins. Those are the only scenario types you've listed.

And I'll ask again: How is this critical to FITE?

..ohh durrrrrr...

..EA, FitE are not on the margins, none of the total war scens are, it's where toaw is now, but ok, ACW1, ACW II, ACW III, Indochine I, Indochine II (you call it Vietnam), many of the Middle East scens, War in the Pacific, ..

..come on, get real..

Post #: 141
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 7:06:14 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

..1/ all changes to the engine change the existing scens, so all need designer reworking, come on, be realistic..

..2/ nope, the base line is that ants only exist because the designer wishes, or is sloppy enough, to let them exist..

..3/ ..?..please amplify..

Post #: 142
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 8:52:02 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

This statement is simply untrue. I have referred to the Russian campaign, Northwest Europe, and North Africa. In what way do these rely on 'unrestricted amphibious operations'?

I wish you'd quit wasting our time like this. You've got a totally indefensible position, won't admit it, and keep concocting nonsense to try to obscure the fact.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/10/2008 9:15:29 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 143
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 8:54:09 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

..2/ nope, the base line is that ants only exist because the designer wishes, or is sloppy enough, to let them exist..

That's definitely an untrue statement. Good design can partially ameliorate the problems with ant units; it cannot eliminate them.

Put it this way. It'd be perfectly reasonable to have a scenario with battalions and regiments. Now, subdivide one of the battalions and attack a stack of three regiments with one of the fragments. Classic ant unit tactic -- and how would good design prevent it?

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/10/2008 8:56:49 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 144
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 9:14:53 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

It's not sophistry. If we're going to model any sort of "tenuous" supply condition then we can't retain the defender's ability to trivially strip a unit of its supply. And the supply system is only nonsensical for unresticted amphbious operations.

No, it is sophistry. The ant unit phenomenon is a problem. The nonsensical supply paradigm is a problem. In no way does that imply the first problem has to be addressed before the second one can be.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 145
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 9:21:22 PM   
Nemo69

quote:

quote:

That's definitely an untrue statement. Good design can partially ameliorate the problems with ant units; it cannot eliminate them.

Put it this way. It'd be perfectly reasonable to have a scenario with battalions and regiments. Now, subdivide one of the battalions and attack a stack of three regiments with one of the fragments. Classic ant unit tactic -- and how would good design prevent it?

Make the battalions undividable by providing a set of custom graphic files that make them platoons in game terms while retaining the battalion-size marker.
Cumbersome though, and it can't be used in all scenarios. What should be implemented if the ant unit problem is to be solved on the designer side is a switch between dividable/non-dividable for each unit, something akin to the untried/veteran switch.
Worth around 2 cents.

Fais ce que dois

Post #: 146
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/10/2008 11:51:56 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo69

quote:

quote:

That's certainly a good idea -- but it's only a partial solution to the ant unit problem. Essentially, the 'ant unit problem' is that an absurdly small force can drain supply and readiness from a very large force by attacking it at 'minimize losses.'

As with the deficiencies with supply, I tend to assume that actually tackling the underlying problem would be the best approach. Scale supply and readiness losses suffered by the defender to the relative size of the attacking force or to equipment actually lost.

Now, should this pose insuperable programming problems, I guess we'd have to go with plan B. However, until that's established, I'm a plan A man.

Make the battalions undividable by providing a set of custom graphic files that make them platoons in game terms while retaining the battalion-size marker.
Cumbersome though, and it can't be used in all scenarios. What should be implemented if the ant unit problem is to be solved on the designer side is a switch between dividable/non-dividable for each unit, something akin to the untried/veteran switch.
Worth around 2 cents.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Nemo69)
Post #: 147
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/11/2008 10:53:40 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

..do you want your on-map units able to divide or not ?..

..if yes, then from btns you'l get companies, a designer's choice..

..if not then design brigades, and let the player divide to btn if he wishes; orrrr divide to btns in the editor, and either leave as are, they can only recombine up, orrr/and then rename, they'l not be able to recombine either, orrr/and change the icon colour, they'l not recombine, orrrr/and change name and colour..

..Bob used the first solution in Kaiserschlacht, with a house rule about no recombining which i don't understand, but that's another matter..

..these solutions have been around since toaw1..

..the last solution, divide in editor, change colour and rename is my chosen solution in Malaya, each btn has a 4th company that can divide, as can mortar/carrier/mg companies..

Post #: 148
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/11/2008 12:50:20 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

..do you want your on-map units able to divide or not ?..

..if yes, then from btns you'l get companies, a designer's choice..

..if not then design brigades, and let the player divide to btn if he wishes; orrrr divide to btns in the editor, and either leave as are, they can only recombine up, orrr/and then rename, they'l not be able to recombine either, orrr/and change the icon colour, they'l not recombine, orrrr/and change name and colour..

..Bob used the first solution in Kaiserschlacht, with a house rule about no recombining which i don't understand, but that's another matter..

..these solutions have been around since toaw1..

..the last solution, divide in editor, change colour and rename is my chosen solution in Malaya, each btn has a 4th company that can divide, as can mortar/carrier/mg companies..

And what if I do want to divide that AT battalion? Or maybe -- gasp -- I want separate AT companies? I can think of at least one scenario I'm working on where having the separate AT company would be very desirable -- and would permit it to be used in the way it was actually used.

Honestly. How about just simulating the reality of what's going on? There's nothing wrong with a sub-divided battalion pestering a stack of three regiments per se: if anything, it's a rather good simulation of the British doctrine of controlling no mans land that they were so fond of in World War One, NVA tactics, etc.

There are two issues to be dealt with -- and as usual, the best way is the honest way.

The first problem is the excessive supply and readiness hit the big stack takes when the ant unit bothers it. Okay -- so scale the hit so that it reflects the actual damage done and the actual ordnance that needed to be fired off.

The second problem is the ability of ants to block retreat routes and such. Okay -- so if a unit is sufficiently larger than what's in the way, it can just push it aside. This used to happen with some of the sketchier German encirclements on the Eastern Front. The retreating infantry division would just run right over that recon company that was 'encircling' it. This also seems relatively feasible to simulate. In combat, a defending stack that lacks a retreat route would not just look at the stacks attacking it, but at all adjacent stacks. So now when you cleverly use that subdivided bridging company to close the circle around a division, it probably just vaporizes and the division retreats into the vacated hex.

First, try to simulate what actually happens. Then and only then try to come up with some work-around. OPART is supposed to be a simulation -- and in real life you can split up that AT battalion if the spirit moves you. The problem isn't to prevent that from happening -- it's to prevent the ability to do so from being exploited in some unreasonable way.

Really, it's just like supply. The ideal solution is the accurate solution. Now, if there's no practical way of getting an accurate solution, we'll have to work out what plan B is. But first, let's see if we can just go to where we want to get by just going there.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/11/2008 12:53:53 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 149
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/11/2008 3:35:29 PM   
a white rabbit

..and so we come back to supply..

..ok, a simple solution to the ant-surround, a simple over-run check and a rbc if the numbers are right, it's no big developement blocking item, that bit of program already exists, and as i've had retreating units bounce an ant, i assume its in there anyway, make it stronger..

..supply-suck ants, that's another part of the supply thing that needs looking at, but whatever route we go, it can be done as part of the reworking, so again, not a design blocker...

..so i ask for a supply system that makes sense, one that as a player i can tailor to my wishes, one that i can also destroy cf German supply, Normandy 44..

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: The Truck Unit Icon Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI