Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Truck Unit Icon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: The Truck Unit Icon Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/11/2008 6:26:14 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
...Regardless, none of the listed items require editing in order to be implemented, which was what I was saying.

That would also be true of a volume-based supply system. Presumably, just about all the values would defaults.

I just want to expand on this a bit, since I was rushed last time.

First, note that the listed items I referred to don't require editing of any kind in order to be implemented. The scenario file will remain exactly the same. Only the mechanics built into TOAW will change, and only the aspect of TOAW that those mechanical changes affect will be different for the scenario. All other aspects will work the same.

In contrast, physical supply handling will definitely require the scenario to be edited. Lift for the supply will have to be modeled. Since either the lift and/or the supply itself will have to be physically manifested on the map, that will mean equipment items and physical units will have to be created for those tasks. Some sort of structure will have to be imposed on that process or it will get completely out of hand. (If each unit is supplied individually it could require a large number of supply lift units per combat unit - totally overwhelming TOAW's unit limits: 2000 combat units = 20,000 supply lift units, etc.). So there will have to be a hierarchy of lift units. That structure will require a human hand familiar with the details of the scenario. As will the selection of equipment types for the lift, and their initial placement on the map, replacement/reinforcement schedules for that equipment etc. Beyond that, schedules for supply quantities arriving at the source points will have to be devised. Once that's done, several iterations will have to be tested out via trial-and-error to get it to work in any acceptable fashion.

Now, you have a loony-toon delusion that TOAW is going to make these changes automatically. That would be a coding task roughly on par with coding the AI from scratch - and work about as well. Regardless, one way or another, the scenario will have to be edited.

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 151
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/11/2008 6:35:07 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

This statement is simply untrue. I have referred to the Russian campaign, Northwest Europe, and North Africa. In what way do these rely on 'unrestricted amphibious operations'?

I'll ask again: Why is it critical for the Russian Campaign/FITE etc.? You've yet to do anything other than claim it to be true. It isn't.

It's only true for Northwest Europe if you're allowed to invade anywhere. That's "unrestricted amphibious operations".

The problem for North Africa is directly dependent entirely upon the limits of sea-based logistical communications.

Where are the examples for scenarios that don't depend on modeling sea operations?

quote:

I wish you'd quit wasting our time like this. You've got a totally indefensible position, won't admit it, and keep concocting nonsense to try to obscure the fact.

I wish you'd quit wasting our time like this. You've got a totally indefensible position, won't admit it, and keep concocting nonsense to try to obscure the fact.

Post #: 152
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/11/2008 6:44:06 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

No, it is sophistry. The ant unit phenomenon is a problem. The nonsensical supply paradigm is a problem. In no way does that imply the first problem has to be addressed before the second one can be.

Currently a unit at 1% supply can fight on regardless how far it is from a supply source. That amounts to allowing infinite length supply lines. To fix it we need a supply state inbetween "supplied" and "unsupplied" - call it "semi-supplied" or whatever. It will require units to periodically stop and build unit supply back to a minimum once beyond a max distance from a source. But they can't do that if the enemy can trivially suck all the supply out of them. Therefore, no one will dare cross that max boundary. We'll go from infinity to a barrier. Neither is correct. Both issues have to be fixed to fix the problem.

And let me add that that "semi-supplied" state (Item 5.9) is another one of those items I listed that are prerequisites for physical supply handling.

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 1/11/2008 6:47:41 PM >

Post #: 153
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/11/2008 6:44:30 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

In contrast, physical supply handling will definitely require the scenario to be edited. Lift for the supply will have to be modeled.

If you choose to switch the "Advanced supply" option on, the game could automatically generate this figure based on the amount of equipment in your OOB, force supply level, and supply radius. This won't be appropriate for every scenario, but will be better than the current model for most of them.

The program can also produce a default capacity for road and rail lines, based on the map scale. Again, this may not be ideal but it's better than the infinite capacity roads and rails currently have.

What you have to grasp is that the current system is so bad in a lot of situations that even a rough version of the improved rules will be better than it.

quote:

Since either the lift and/or the supply itself will have to be physically manifested on the map,

I disagree. Supply movement will happen automatically as it does now.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 154
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/11/2008 6:49:05 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Currently a unit at 1% supply can fight on regardless how far it is from a supply source. That amounts to allowing infinite length supply lines. To fix it we need a supply state inbetween "supplied" and "unsupplied" - call it "semi-supplied" or whatever. It will require units to periodically stop and build unit supply back to a minimum once beyond a max distance from a source. But they can't do that if the enemy can trivially suck all the supply out of them. Therefore, no one will dare cross that max boundary. We'll go from infinity to a barrier. Neither is correct. Both issues have to be fixed to fix the problem.

I agree the problem has to be resolved, but your solution to the problem explicitly works with the current system, and will have to be re-written when the new system is put together. Why not quantify supply first- and then fine tune it with fixes like these.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 155
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/11/2008 7:08:30 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious
If you choose to switch the "Advanced supply" option on, the game could automatically generate this figure based on the amount of equipment in your OOB, force supply level, and supply radius. This won't be appropriate for every scenario, but will be better than the current model for most of them.

Without a human hand providing structure it will be garbage. And a huge waste of coding effort. What other expansion to TOAW has provided automatic scenairo editing thus far?

quote:

The program can also produce a default capacity for road and rail lines, based on the map scale. Again, this may not be ideal but it's better than the infinite capacity roads and rails currently have.

This is way overblown as an issue. The true limit for that is congestion - already modeled by stacking limits and traffic penalties. Without congestion the supply capacity of a road is huge and rail is an order-of-magnitude greater.

quote:

quote:

Since either the lift and/or the supply itself will have to be physically manifested on the map,

I disagree. Supply movement will happen automatically as it does now.

What are you talking about? Supply movement doesn't happen at all now - it's abstracted. Also, it has to be subject to interdiction. And it has to consume port/road/rail capacity. It has to be physically on the map.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 156
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/11/2008 7:13:40 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

I agree the problem has to be resolved, but your solution to the problem explicitly works with the current system, and will have to be re-written when the new system is put together. Why not quantify supply first- and then fine tune it with fixes like these.

Why would it have to be rewritten? Units will still be evaluated for supplied/unsupplied status, and those states will have the same effects. Same for semi-supplied.

Let me add that the Ant unit problem is universal - it affects every scenario - not just scenarios on the margin.

Post #: 157
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/11/2008 10:52:13 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

...Regardless, none of the listed items require editing in order to be implemented, which was what I was saying.

That would also be true of a volume-based supply system. Presumably, just about all the values would defaults.

I just want to expand on this a bit, since I was rushed last time.

First, note that the listed items I referred to don't require editing of any kind in order to be implemented. The scenario file will remain exactly the same. Only the mechanics built into TOAW will change, and only the aspect of TOAW that those mechanical changes affect will be different for the scenario. All other aspects will work the same.

This is not necessarily a good thing. See the changes wrought with early turn-ending. I'd give a hundred bucks to have the luxury of being able to have that only if I modified Seelowe to 'take advantage' of the improvement. As it is, I've been subjected to it, and now have to attempt to undo the damage.
quote:

In contrast, physical supply handling will definitely require the scenario to be edited. Lift for the supply will have to be modeled. Since either the lift and/or the supply itself will have to be physically manifested on the map, that will mean equipment items and physical units will have to be created for those tasks. Some sort of structure will have to be imposed on that process or it will get completely out of hand. (If each unit is supplied individually it could require a large number of supply lift units per combat unit - totally overwhelming TOAW's unit limits: 2000 combat units = 20,000 supply lift units, etc.). So there will have to be a hierarchy of lift units. That structure will require a human hand familiar with the details of the scenario. As will the selection of equipment types for the lift, and their initial placement on the map, replacement/reinforcement schedules for that equipment etc. Beyond that, schedules for supply quantities arriving at the source points will have to be devised. Once that's done, several iterations will have to be tested out via trial-and-error to get it to work in any acceptable fashion.

This would only be the case if you want to take advantage of the alternative system. As I've proposed, the old system could be left in place to be used if desired.
quote:

Now, you have a loony-toon delusion that TOAW is going to make these changes automatically. That would be a coding task roughly on par with coding the AI from scratch - and work about as well. Regardless, one way or another, the scenario will have to be edited.

First, as noted, no scenario would have to be edited unless the designer wanted to take advantage of the change. Second, given that you have failed to even consider exactly what the new system should be, I don't see how you can decide what the magnitude of the coding tasks would be. It's roughly akin to someone who thinks relativity is 'capitalist physics' announcing that developing an atomic bomb would be an impossible task from an engineering point of view.

Work out what the new system should be in the first place. Then decide if it's feasible to code it. As I again noted (and as usual, you apparently didn't read) put into abstract terms, the problem would seem to be pretty common. I imagine the code is there somewhere. If not in wargaming, then in dry goods distribution.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/11/2008 11:05:21 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 158
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/11/2008 10:58:47 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

This statement is simply untrue. I have referred to the Russian campaign, Northwest Europe, and North Africa. In what way do these rely on 'unrestricted amphibious operations'?

I'll ask again: Why is it critical for the Russian Campaign/FITE etc.? You've yet to do anything other than claim it to be true. It isn't.

I don't play FITE, nor did I cite it as an example. With regards to the Russian campaign in general, I cited the example of the German attempt to take Murmansk as an example where the OPART supply paradigm would create problems if an attempt was made to incorporate this campaign into a scenario covering the rest of the theater. In fact, this has happened: see Decision in the North. But I guess that becomes another 'marginal scenario' now...
quote:

It's only true for Northwest Europe if you're allowed to invade anywhere. That's "unrestricted amphibious operations".

Or if you just sort of don't worry about the significance of Antwerp, or frog-march the player into making exactly the same supply allocations that Eisenhower made, or...
quote:

The problem for North Africa is directly dependent entirely upon the limits of sea-based logistical communications.

A point which does nothing to address the issue under discussion. Further more, also untrue. See Kufra and Siwa. If you can send one battalion across the deep Sahara, you can send fifty.
quote:

Where are the examples for scenarios that don't depend on modeling sea operations?

Handily, I just cited three. Murmansk, the actual supply problems experienced in Northwest Europe, and the deep Sahara in a North Africa scenario.
quote:

quote:

Right.

The fact is that this is not an insoluble problem -- or at least, whether its soluble remains unknown as long as we can't even move to defining what the solution would entail. It also doesn't just affect 'marginal scenarios.' I have worked seriously on four scenarios -- and I didn't pick them to be 'marginal.' Yet in all four, the deficiencies of the current supply model causes problems -- in two cases, severe problems.

Now, that's why you are wasting our time, and that's why your position is indefensible. We've got an absurd supply paradigm whose effects range from pernicious to crippling, depending on the specific scenario. Actually, there is no greater and more universal flaw in OPART. And yet you refuse to discuss seriously addressing the problem.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/12/2008 1:15:12 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 159
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/12/2008 9:44:18 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

..what limits are these ?

..major ports, got em, enough shiping ? had it till it got sunk by the damned Brits allotting a sizeable part of their war effort to do just that..

..The USA didn't seem to have any great difficulty crossing the Pacific with large tonnages of supply in WW2 or Indochine 2, nor in improving/constructing port facilities..

..the only limiting factor i can see is that a large, slow-moving tanker makes an easy, and spectacular target for submarines, destroyers and planes..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

Post #: 160
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/12/2008 9:49:50 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

No, it is sophistry. The ant unit phenomenon is a problem. The nonsensical supply paradigm is a problem. In no way does that imply the first problem has to be addressed before the second one can be.

And let me add that that "semi-supplied" state (Item 5.9) is another one of those items I listed that are prerequisites for physical supply handling.

..yup agreed, if only cos i like the idea of a semi-supplied state, it was used a lot in board games, and the fact that it will give us a totally unsupplied, starve-you-bastard, state..

..but it's not a prerequisite for a physical supply handling system, more a refinement, a bells and whistles thing..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

Post #: 161
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/12/2008 1:21:58 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

quote:

..what limits are these ?

..major ports, got em, enough shiping ? had it till it got sunk by the damned Brits allotting a sizeable part of their war effort to do just that..

..The USA didn't seem to have any great difficulty crossing the Pacific with large tonnages of supply in WW2 or Indochine 2, nor in improving/constructing port facilities..

It took us a while to build up the capacity. After a year, we were barely able to support a one-division landing on Guadacanal. It was a strain, but we did it. Really, it took us about two and a half years to start firing on all eight cylinders. Helped that Japan was no longer posing a major major naval threat and never did much about interdicting our shipping, too.

...And our logistical resources were fantastic compared to most powers.

As for North Africa, I doubt if Tripoli in 1941-42 was a 'major port' by any stretch of the imagination. It also happened to be about a thousand miles from where the fighting generally was.

...I suppose if one was going to make a supply model that would work for North Africa in conjunction with other theaters, one would want to go with a 'supply cost' type approach. In other words, a ton of supplies delivered outside Tobruk is going to consume a lot more of your total supply resources than a ton of supplies delivered to troops fighting in Normandy. You can put ten divisions into Morth Africa if you want -- but it'll cost as much in the way of logistical resources to keep them supplied as forty divisions some place reasonable. In this connection, see the fantastic costs the British incurred keeping their forces in North Africa supplied. Churchill was endlessly going on about the size of the logistical tail -- but it just couldn't be helped. Keeping one man fighting in the Western Desert was considerably more expensive than keeping him fighting in France would have been.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/12/2008 1:28:44 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 162
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/12/2008 7:25:46 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

This is not necessarily a good thing. See the changes wrought with early turn-ending. I'd give a hundred bucks to have the luxury of being able to have that only if I modified Seelowe to 'take advantage' of the improvement. As it is, I've been subjected to it, and now have to attempt to undo the damage.

It would be effected via an Advanced Rule option. And, had we known just how dependent your scenario was on a bug for it to function, even that bug fix would have been implemented in that fashion.

quote:

This would only be the case if you want to take advantage of the alternative system. As I've proposed, the old system could be left in place to be used if desired.

As usual, you've completely missed the point. You had claimed that scenarios would be automaticaly edited to implement the new tonnage system. Are you now coming to your senses on that point?

Post #: 163
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/12/2008 7:56:37 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

I don't play FITE, nor did I cite it as an example.

Somebody cited FITE.

quote:

With regards to the Russian campaign in general, I cited the example of the German attempt to take Murmansk as an example where the OPART supply paradigm would create problems if an attempt was made to incorporate this campaign into a scenario covering the rest of the theater. In fact, this has happened: see Decision in the North. But I guess that becomes another 'marginal scenario' now...

Or see "Soviet Union 1941". And do you seriously think that's a critical issue for the Russian Campaign? Finally, I don't really think that issue is actually addressed by supply handling. I suspect it had more to do with the need for special gear (including logistical gear) that far north. There just weren't that many divisions outfitted for it.

quote:

Or if you just sort of don't worry about the significance of Antwerp, or frog-march the player into making exactly the same supply allocations that Eisenhower made, or...

Antwerp can be handled just fine by the current system. Capture it and you have a supply point much closer to the front. If you want, you can boost the Force Supply level at the same time, if that's appropriate. What's the problem?

As to prioritization, the current supply unit feature clearly models player supply prioritization. It just needs to be expanded a bit - say by allowing their effects to combine. That's far easier than having 20,000 supply packets moving around the map.

quote:

Further more, also untrue. See Kufra and Siwa. If you can send one battalion across the deep Sahara, you can send fifty.

A problem that has to be solved via the implementation of a "semi-supplied" state, the supply radius issues in 5.8, and finally a boost to motorized movement on improved roads. Physical supply handling doesn't address that at all. If it still leaves us with just "Supplied" and "Unsupplied", then players can head out into the deep desert with their entire force. After all, they're "supplied" - they have a line of communications.

quote:

Handily, I just cited three. Murmansk, the actual supply problems experienced in Northwest Europe, and the deep Sahara in a North Africa scenario.

And were wrong on all three. Really, the only place where physical supply handling is truely necessary is where extensive sea operations are critical to the scenario.

Post #: 164
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/12/2008 8:16:26 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

This is way overblown as an issue. The true limit for that is congestion - already modeled by stacking limits and traffic penalties. Without congestion the supply capacity of a road is huge and rail is an order-of-magnitude greater.

I want to hit this some more, since it seems to be a bulwark of Colin's position.

Let's do some math.

First, roads. Let's say we have 5-ton trucks doing 20mph = 30fps, spaced 200 ft apart. That gives a rate of 45 tons per minute = 32,400 tons per 12hr day down the road = 972,000 tons per month. Which is roughly enough supply to keep about 100 corps in supply. Clearly, as long as there is no traffic congestion on the road, it's capacity can be thought of a infinite for TOAW purposes. If there is congestion, it is already modeled via stacking limits and traffic penalties.

Next, rails. Let's say we have 80-car trains, each car rated at 50 tons = 4000 ton train passing each 30min = 192,000 tons per 24 hour day = 5,760,000 tons per month. Which is roughly enough supply to keep over 100 armies in supply. Even more justified to be though of as infinite.

Now some ports may be a different matter. But, when you consider that a single cargo ship would tend to have 10,000 tons on it, I suspect that's been overblown as well. Plus, we know that supply can be brought ashore over the beach if the right equipment is available.

In the overwhelming number of cases the real limiting factor in supply is the amount of transport available, not the capacities of facilities.

Post #: 165
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/12/2008 8:41:59 PM   
Karri

All I can say, is that this certainly is not something I want to calculate while thinking where to move my 1000+ units in starting turns of FitE. It would really make the game unplayable. Or to send my panzer deep thrust towards Moscow only to find out at the gates that last turn I forgot to change the supply adjustments to give them that extra gallon of fuel so that they'd actually get in the city.

There is indeed certain truth in some of the ideas, but while they critisise the current system, they do have flaws of their own aswell.

< Message edited by Karri -- 1/12/2008 8:42:05 PM >

Post #: 166
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/12/2008 8:58:59 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

I don't play FITE, nor did I cite it as an example.

Somebody cited FITE.

quote:

With regards to the Russian campaign in general, I cited the example of the German attempt to take Murmansk as an example where the OPART supply paradigm would create problems if an attempt was made to incorporate this campaign into a scenario covering the rest of the theater. In fact, this has happened: see Decision in the North. But I guess that becomes another 'marginal scenario' now...

Or see "Soviet Union 1941". And do you seriously think that's a critical issue for the Russian Campaign? Finally, I don't really think that issue is actually addressed by supply handling. I suspect it had more to do with the need for special gear (including logistical gear) that far north. There just weren't that many divisions outfitted for it.

quote:

Antwerp can be handled just fine by the current system. Capture it and you have a supply point much closer to the front. If you want, you can boost the Force Supply level at the same time, if that's appropriate. What's the problem?

As to prioritization, the current supply unit feature clearly models player supply prioritization. It just needs to be expanded a bit - say by allowing their effects to combine. That's far easier than having 20,000 supply packets moving around the map.

quote:

Further more, also untrue. See Kufra and Siwa. If you can send one battalion across the deep Sahara, you can send fifty.

A problem that has to be solved via the implementation of a "semi-supplied" state, the supply radius issues in 5.8, and finally a boost to motorized movement on improved roads. Physical supply handling doesn't address that at all. If it still leaves us with just "Supplied" and "Unsupplied", then players can head out into the deep desert with their entire force. After all, they're "supplied" - they have a line of communications.

quote:

And were wrong on all three. Really, the only place where physical supply handling is truely necessary is where extensive sea operations are critical to the scenario.

Yes, Curtis.

Meanwhile, I was thinking that it might facilitate matters to approach the new supply system as a matter of discrete supply units -- at least for purposes of working out what the mechanisms of the system should be.

This has some advantages.

First, it's easy to visualize -- both for the designer and for the computer. The computer certainly can move units, and Elmer should be able to handle the concept of supply units going from where they appear to where there is a need for supply. In this connection, note that the player wouldn't have to see the supply units -- just the computer. The supply units would move up to where there was a need and disband. The supply points would be distributed among the units within a given radius from the point where the supply unit was disbanded in the manner of replacements. If, for example, there were twenty units each having an average of 400 of their 1000 possible supply points, and the supply unit was carrying 1000 supply points, each unit would receive 50 supply points.

There are a number of advantages.

An attrition effect could be applied to supply units on the map at the end of each turn. This would nicely reflect the greater cost and difficulty of supplying at the end of a long logistical supply pipeline. For the Germans in an Eastern Front scenario, the supply units might appear at Warsaw. They'd reach the front before Moscow more or less at full strength, but be considerably weakened by the time they got to the Caucasus -- and it would be extremely expensive to support any great number of units outside Murmansk. Elmer could just direct the supply units by a paradigm that looked at the most acute need. You can stick another division up above the Arctic circle if you want, but it'll be eating a disproportionate amount of your supply -- particularly if it is actively fighting.

Interdiction could pound these units. They could even be slowed -- and thus subject to more attrition -- by traffic jams.

The supply units would of course simply retreat out of the way if enemy units move through their location. Perhaps they could even automatically disband. This could nicely simulate the disruptive effect of even one enemy unit getting into your rear. In any case, the supply units would have no effect on hex ownership.

Rail capacity would work nicely. You can use all your rail capacity to ship combat units around -- but in that case, that much less will be left for Elmer to move his supply units. It'll cost you, in the end.

And in any case, such an approach makes it possible to clearly visualize what we want and how to get it. Moreover, it makes it possible for much of the new mechanism to piggyback onto the current system and make use of programming that's already there.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 167
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/12/2008 9:02:51 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

I want to hit this some more, since it seems to be a bulwark of Colin's position...

I suggest you read my posts. The 'bulwark' of my position does not automatically become whatever you find it most convenient to argue against.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 168
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/12/2008 9:08:10 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karri

All I can say, is that this certainly is not something I want to calculate while thinking where to move my 1000+ units in starting turns of FitE. It would really make the game unplayable. Or to send my panzer deep thrust towards Moscow only to find out at the gates that last turn I forgot to change the supply adjustments to give them that extra gallon of fuel so that they'd actually get in the city.

There is indeed certain truth in some of the ideas, but while they critisise the current system, they do have flaws of their own aswell.

I agree that in the real world it would be best if the system was largely 'invisible' -- which it could well be. See my last long post.

It'd probably be best if players could interfere only to the extent that they can adjust loss settings. In other words, you could affect the computer's decision about how to distribute supplies by assigning units a high, normal, or low priority. Of course, if we do go wtih a system along the lines of the one just suggested, one could also affect supplies by the extent to which one used one's available air, sea, and rail lift for moving combat units. However, at no point would players become involved in having to actually 'manage' supplies.

...in connection with lift, I've long felt that there should be a general truck lift -- since many units were often moved by truck without actually being panzer grenadiers. I.e., they used trucks -- but not for tactical movement. If we had such a system, using this lift to drag around combat units would obviously also prevent the computer from using it to move supplies quickly.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/12/2008 9:12:15 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 169
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/13/2008 7:00:57 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Meanwhile, I was thinking that it might facilitate matters to approach the new supply system as a matter of discrete supply units -- at least for purposes of working out what the mechanisms of the system should be.

I was calling them "supply lift units". The game already has something called a "supply unit". But, whatever.

quote:

This has some advantages.

First, it's easy to visualize -- both for the designer and for the computer.

Actually it's a very difficult design and programming problem. There are mulitiple means of transport - sea, rail, road, air. Which to use, in what sequence? How to organize the hierarchy of units? They'll need objective tracks. It's further complicated by the fact that it will take multiple turns to get there, often by multiple means. Then the "lift" has to turn around and go back the way it came before it can pick up some more.

quote:

In this connection, note that the player wouldn't have to see the supply units -- just the computer.

They have to be visible to allow interdiction by air/sea/land, etc. And for player intervention in prioritizing. It's also best that the lift be physically realized so that it can take losses, and consume fuel, etc. There's no advantage, as far as the computer is concerned, to making them invisible anyway.

quote:

The supply units would move up to where there was a need and disband. The supply points would be distributed among the units within a given radius from the point where the supply unit was disbanded in the manner of replacements. If, for example, there were twenty units each having an average of 400 of their 1000 possible supply points, and the supply unit was carrying 1000 supply points, each unit would receive 50 supply points.

The supply has to be physically carried to the individual units. That's where most of the congestion and enemy land interdiction will take place. And that part of the trip has to have its lift requirements and terrain effects modeled. That means hundreds, if not thousands, of more "discrete supply units". And note that this method eliminates HQ effects. That needs to be added back in somehow.

quote:

There are a number of advantages.

An attrition effect could be applied to supply units on the map at the end of each turn. This would nicely reflect the greater cost and difficulty of supplying at the end of a long logistical supply pipeline. For the Germans in an Eastern Front scenario, the supply units might appear at Warsaw. They'd reach the front before Moscow more or less at full strength, but be considerably weakened by the time they got to the Caucasus

What's the advantage for that specific subject? This could be far more easily modeled via the current system just with some refinements to the supply radius thing. It would also require the implementation of a "semi-supplied" state.

The only real advantage would be in the cases I've stated: where modeling sea operations are critical to the scenario.

By the way, how do you propose to handle "supplied" and "unsupplied" status?

quote:

The supply units would of course simply retreat out of the way if enemy units move through their location. Perhaps they could even automatically disband. This could nicely simulate the disruptive effect of even one enemy unit getting into your rear. In any case, the supply units would have no effect on hex ownership.

??? They should be subject to combat just like any other unit. Don't you want to allow the RN to intercept and sink the supply convoys to England? Then there's the subject of escorts.

quote:

Rail capacity would work nicely. You can use all your rail capacity to ship combat units around -- but in that case, that much less will be left for Elmer to move his supply units. It'll cost you, in the end.

Interdiction complicates things. To review - force supply is currently reduced by the enemy interdiction level. But now, supply is going to be physically interdicted like unit movement. So the current interdiction supply reduction will need to be discarded. To then get things right, the rail cap (like the sea cap & air cap, etc.) may need to be modeled via physical rail lift units - made up of physical trains, etc. Cargo ships, & transport planes, too.

Post #: 170
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/13/2008 7:03:51 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

...in connection with lift, I've long felt that there should be a general truck lift -- since many units were often moved by truck without actually being panzer grenadiers. I.e., they used trucks -- but not for tactical movement. If we had such a system, using this lift to drag around combat units would obviously also prevent the computer from using it to move supplies quickly.

Of course, under that system, the trucks wouldn't take losses. And when lifting combat units they could possibly lift things they really couldn't lift - or be expended for things that didn't really need lift.

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 1/13/2008 7:04:17 PM >

Post #: 171
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/13/2008 8:57:07 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

Of course, under that system, the trucks wouldn't take losses. And when lifting combat units they could possibly lift things they really couldn't lift - or be expended for things that didn't really need lift.

No -- but then, presumably railroad stock also suffered losses -- just not sudden and unpredictable ones. Trucks dragging troops back and forth from here to there didn't necessarily take dramatic losses. In any case, the losses could be forecast and replaced. This objection might as well be applied to the railroad capacity as to my proposed truck capacity.

On the other hand, in the current system, one has to arbitrarily motorize certain brigades and leave others unmotorized. In other words, some lucky guys always get the trucks -- even when they were supposed to be shared. Moreover, the trucks can be used tactically: to advance after combat, etc.

Even when the army in question never used them this way.

Really, being forced to assign trucks as an integral part of the unit is an unnecessary limitation on the program. There's no compelling reason that I can see that designers couldn't have a 'truck capacity' rating that could be used by chosen units to engage in 'embarked' movement along roads.

I've actually come close to the above in a Syria 1941 scenario. Since rail lines aren't critical, I made the 'rail' tile invisible, replaced the sound file for 'choo choo' with 'vroom vroom', put in invisible rail lines alongside the major roads and voila -- all those Indian and Australian and French and British infantry do what they did in real life: go to the road, ride in the trucks, and get out to fight.

This wouldn't be a major change, nor would it have a down side. Designers wouldn't have to make use of it if they didn't want to, and units deemed unable to use the trucks wouldn't be tagged as 'truck capable.'

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 172
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/13/2008 9:19:26 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

I was calling them "supply lift units". The game already has something called a "supply unit". But, whatever.

The central point is that the supply system has to be volume-based. If I fire a given bullet, you can't fire it too. Primarily, I'm just speculating on the best way of going about working out the precise mechanics of such a system.
quote:

Actually it's a very difficult design and programming problem. There are mulitiple means of transport - sea, rail, road, air. Which to use, in what sequence? How to organize the hierarchy of units? They'll need objective tracks. It's further complicated by the fact that it will take multiple turns to get there, often by multiple means. Then the "lift" has to turn around and go back the way it came before it can pick up some more.

If computer programming is like anything else, it's always hard to reliably predict just how hard a task is going to be until you start on it -- or at least seriously start thinking about it. I've rebuilt a truck engine -- that actually proved doable, somewhat to my surprise. I've spent two weeks on what I figured to be a three hour brake repair.

In any case, working out the mechanics for physical units at least defines the process and makes it tangible. Notice how it's gotten you arguing about the specifics of reform instead of just claiming the current system is fine.
quote:

They have to be visible to allow interdiction by air/sea/land, etc. And for player intervention in prioritizing. It's also best that the lift be physically realized so that it can take losses, and consume fuel, etc. There's no advantage, as far as the computer is concerned, to making them invisible anyway.

I don't see why the player has to see the units to make interdiction possible. As to what's an advantage, thee point is to not have one's view of the battle cluttered up with eight hundred supply units making their way here and there. Presumably, these units would be left visible during development. Perhaps you could even making viewing them an option. However, most players would rather just focus on the fighting.
quote:

The supply has to be physically carried to the individual units. That's where most of the congestion and enemy land interdiction will take place. And that part of the trip has to have its lift requirements and terrain effects modeled. That means hundreds, if not thousands, of more "discrete supply units". And note that this method eliminates HQ effects. That needs to be added back in somehow.

One could have the supply units head for the HQ's. That would actually model the effect of HQ's quite nicely. As to all the 'hundreds, if not thousands' -- well, that's why I think they should be invisible.
quote:

What's the advantage for that specific subject? This could be far more easily modeled via the current system just with some refinements to the supply radius thing. It would also require the implementation of a "semi-supplied" state.

No it can't. In point of fact, when the Germans thought they were going to succeed in busting across the Caucasus, they formed one specialized brigade-sized unit for exploitation: they knew -- even if you don't -- that while they might be able to keep one unit in supply over such a distance and such terrain, they couldn't keep a hundred in supply under such conditions.

However much you might wish it were so, a paradigm that assumes that one unit consumes the same amount of supply as a hundred units just isn't valid.
quote:

The only real advantage would be in the cases I've stated: where modeling sea operations are critical to the scenario.

Now this just isn't true. At this point, you might as well start typing, 'Santa Claus is real, I know he is!!!' Keep it up and I'm going to type 'Yes, Virginia.'
quote:

By the way, how do you propose to handle "supplied" and "unsupplied" status?

A unit would always use some supply. Very little, if it wasn't moving and wasn't fighting. but some. If the supply being consumed exceeds the supply being delivered, the unit starts having problems. In this connection, note that 'surrounded' units that weren't being actively attacked withered away very slowly.
quote:

??? They should be subject to combat just like any other unit. Don't you want to allow the RN to intercept and sink the supply convoys to England? Then there's the subject of escorts.

Point is, one wants to be able to move and to fight without dealing with all those supply units. Actually, the current 'hex ownership' paradigm could be replaced by having to pay the cost if the hex you're entering contains an actual supply unit. Or not -- the whole hex ownership penalty should go, anyway.
quote:

Interdiction complicates things. To review - force supply is currently reduced by the enemy interdiction level. But now, supply is going to be physically interdicted like unit movement. So the current interdiction supply reduction will need to be discarded. To then get things right, the rail cap (like the sea cap & air cap, etc.) may need to be modeled via physical rail lift units - made up of physical trains, etc. Cargo ships, & transport planes, too.

This doesn't follow. You could still interdict rail movement of 'real' units even if you were also interdicting specific supply units instead of just globally reducing enemy supply. In any case, if you also want to model cargo planes, I'm all for that. As an option, of course.

However, it's not an issue that needs to be addressed to implement the system.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/14/2008 12:04:33 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 173
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/14/2008 2:50:26 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Why would it have to be rewritten? Units will still be evaluated for supplied/unsupplied status, and those states will have the same effects. Same for semi-supplied.

Your system for determining if a unit is supplied, semi-supplied or unsupplied depends on a certain system of supply distribution; one which is based on supplies being distributed equitably but ever more sparsely as you move away from the source. If you have one unit out at the extremes, then it can probably be supplied anyway- all the trucks just go to that one hex rather than a few going to every hex even though most are empty. But if you have a hundred then, yes, they're going to be semi-supplied.

You can see how this has implications for the quantification of supply.

quote:

Let me add that the Ant unit problem is universal - it affects every scenario - not just scenarios on the margin.

Ah- like the supply problem then.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 174
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/14/2008 2:59:58 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Or see "Soviet Union 1941".

Now THAT is a scenario on the margins.

quote:

Antwerp can be handled just fine by the current system. Capture it and you have a supply point much closer to the front.

But Antwerp didn't just mean the supply lines were shorter- it meant that there was more supply on the whole. During August and September, some Allied units simply sat in Normandy- there just wasn't enough supply for them. This would never happen with the current supply system. They'd be right up the front getting as much supply as everyone else.

How about the Atlantic Ports? Why does the Allied player send detachments to reduce them, and why is the German player obliged to garrison them? I have the suspicion you just use a VP bonus for this in your scenario. Hardly elegant.

quote:

A problem that has to be solved via the implementation of a "semi-supplied" state,

NO. In the real world, one battalion at Siwa will have full supply. Twenty will have no supply. In your system, you can have the whole bloody Afrika Korps down there and they'll still be on "semi supply"

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 1/14/2008 3:13:20 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 175
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/14/2008 3:03:32 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

First, roads. Let's say we have 5-ton trucks doing 20mph = 30fps, spaced 200 ft apart. That gives a rate of 45 tons per minute = 32,400 tons per 12hr day down the road = 972,000 tons per month.

Brilliant! Our troops will be in Paris before the leaves fall with these marching rates!

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 176
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/14/2008 11:03:20 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

In any case, working out the mechanics for physical units at least defines the process and makes it tangible. Notice how it's gotten you arguing about the specifics of reform instead of just claiming the current system is fine.

If we could actually get you to read the wishlist document you would see that I've already worked most of this out. You're the one who's just catching up to how complictated it's going to be.

quote:

I don't see why the player has to see the units to make interdiction possible.

Well, so he can interdict them! With air/sea/ground units via the normal combat methods. Not just by setting his air units to "interdiction". Again, think of those German barge convoys crossing the channel.

quote:

As to what's an advantage, thee point is to not have one's view of the battle cluttered up with eight hundred supply units making their way here and there. Presumably, these units would be left visible during development. Perhaps you could even making viewing them an option. However, most players would rather just focus on the fighting.

For certain there is no advantage to the computer. The units will function entirely like units whether visible or not. Think of the impact on unit counts.

quote:

One could have the supply units head for the HQ's. That would actually model the effect of HQ's quite nicely.

How? Then there's the matter of moved units taking a supply hit over unmoved ones.

quote:

No it can't. In point of fact, when the Germans thought they were going to succeed in busting across the Caucasus, they formed one specialized brigade-sized unit for exploitation: they knew -- even if you don't -- that while they might be able to keep one unit in supply over such a distance and such terrain, they couldn't keep a hundred in supply under such conditions.

Supply attenutates with distance from supply source just fine with the current model. It needs some fine tuning to eliminate infinite length issues, that's all. That's all that's really necessary to model the eastern front's supply situation. I've got a working "Soviet Union 1941" scenario to back it up.

Supply priorities are modeled via the supply unit feature, which could be easily enhanced.

quote:

quote:

Now this just isn't true.

Yes it is. But we've been over it a dozen times. Do we really need any more repeat versions?

quote:

A unit would always use some supply. Very little, if it wasn't moving and wasn't fighting. but some. If the supply being consumed exceeds the supply being delivered, the unit starts having problems. In this connection, note that 'surrounded' units that weren't being actively attacked withered away very slowly.

You haven't answered the question. When will a unit be rated as "unsupplied"?

quote:

Point is, one wants to be able to move and to fight without dealing with all those supply units.

Really? You really want those supply barges to cross the channel without any RN interference?

quote:

Actually, the current 'hex ownership' paradigm could be replaced by having to pay the cost if the hex you're entering contains an actual supply unit. Or not -- the whole hex ownership penalty should go, anyway.

??? What?

quote:

This doesn't follow. You could still interdict rail movement of 'real' units even if you were also interdicting specific supply units instead of just globally reducing enemy supply. In any case, if you also want to model cargo planes, I'm all for that. As an option, of course.

Planes, trucks, ships used for rail should be physically realized so losses to them could be modeled. Seems odd to make an exception for rail. Regardless, the global supply reduction due to interdiction (as well as the global supply increase due to unused transport) would have to be dropped.

Post #: 177
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/14/2008 11:10:55 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

There's no compelling reason that I can see that designers couldn't have a 'truck capacity' rating that could be used by chosen units to engage in 'embarked' movement along roads.

Except for the reasons I've listed above.

Post #: 178
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/14/2008 11:14:15 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Your system for determining if a unit is supplied, semi-supplied or unsupplied depends on a certain system of supply distribution; one which is based on supplies being distributed equitably but ever more sparsely as you move away from the source. If you have one unit out at the extremes, then it can probably be supplied anyway- all the trucks just go to that one hex rather than a few going to every hex even though most are empty. But if you have a hundred then, yes, they're going to be semi-supplied.

The units still have to be rated for those conditions regardless of the supply paradigm.
They eacd have significant consequences.

quote:

quote:

Ah- like the supply problem then.

The supply problem is not universal - otherwise no TOAW scenario would work.

Post #: 179
RE: The Truck Unit Icon - 1/14/2008 11:26:31 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

Or see "Soviet Union 1941".

Now THAT is a scenario on the margins.

Sure is. Works amazingly well, despite that.

quote:

quote:

Antwerp can be handled just fine by the current system. Capture it and you have a supply point much closer to the front.

But Antwerp didn't just mean the supply lines were shorter- it meant that there was more supply on the whole. During August and September, some Allied units simply sat in Normandy- there just wasn't enough supply for them. This would never happen with the current supply system. They'd be right up the front getting as much supply as everyone else.

I'll just add back in the part of my statement above that you deliberately deleted:

"If you want, you can boost the Force Supply level at the same time, if that's appropriate."

The answer was right in front of your eyes.

quote:

How about the Atlantic Ports? Why does the Allied player send detachments to reduce them, ...

Because he thought he was going to get a supply boost by capturing them. He was wrong, but the player's don't get to benefit from that hindsight.

quote:

...and why is the German player obliged to garrison them?

Because Hitler ordered them to. And because they generally lacked the transport to escape.

quote:

I have the suspicion you just use a VP bonus for this in your scenario. Hardly elegant.

Damn elegant if you ask me.

quote:

NO. In the real world, one battalion at Siwa will have full supply. Twenty will have no supply. In your system, you can have the whole bloody Afrika Korps down there and they'll still be on "semi supply"

Yes, and that's just what they could have done. But who will put the entire Afrika Korps down there if they're going to be on semi-supply? It will correctly model just how ineffective they would have been there.

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: The Truck Unit Icon Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI