Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Creating depots on ships?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Creating depots on ships? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Creating depots on ships? - 12/18/2007 5:09:08 AM   
Snydeman55

Ok, I've read the manual. I've played the game.

How do I create and/or GET a depot onto a fleet? I've got two heavy fleets and one transport fleet sitting in London, with one corps of men loaded for some Turkish fun down south...

..but they keep starving. Not because I don't know about sea supply, but because I can not, for the life of me, figure out on the interface HOW to do it.

Help please?
Post #: 1
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/18/2007 5:10:33 AM   
nappy

Click on a fleet during land phase and then click add/remove depot on a heavy or transport fleet.

Naps

(in reply to Snydeman55)
Post #: 2
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/18/2007 5:47:33 AM   
Grognot

And note that you can't -keep- the corps on the fleet -- they must disembark during each land phase, or die. Regardless of depots.

Sea supply will work between ports with depots, assuming one has a fleet and one is either a supply source or within a valid depot chain.  Invasion supply will work from a sea zone instead of a port, and will supply corps on all adjacent coasts, but does not extend further and will not allow you to reinforce the corps.

(in reply to nappy)
Post #: 3
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/18/2007 6:10:54 AM   
zaquex

I do beleive you need a depot in a harbour containing a friendly fleet to use invasion supply (as of the same principle as sea supply).

Note that I think you need to disembark your troops before you can place the depot and possibly only on a fleet that disembarked troops, although once placed the invasion supply depot can supply any number of corps in any adjacent land areas as long as it exists (can be very powerful, especially for someone marching through northern africa or doing coastal marches during winter).

As an example an invasion supply depot on the Prusian coastline could provide supply to sweden, prussia and (edit: ops, wrote russia but meant denmark) denmark at once.

< Message edited by zaquex -- 12/18/2007 9:19:33 AM >

(in reply to Grognot)
Post #: 4
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/18/2007 7:38:31 AM   
Cossaky

Hey guys,

Here's a stupid question.  I've never played Britain in either the board game or computer version.  How does the UK leap-frog units to North Africa if they need to disembark at the end of each land phase and ships only move three spaces per turn?  I seem to remember fleets moved faster in the original game, but perhaps I'm mixing my memories of EiA and WiF.

Thanks,

Cossaky

(in reply to zaquex)
Post #: 5
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/18/2007 7:48:55 AM   
Murat

Heavy and Light ships have carrying capacity and move 7. They just cannot carry as much per unit as a transport.

(in reply to Cossaky)
Post #: 6
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/18/2007 8:21:59 AM   
nappy

Also note for sea/invasion supply you must be in the sea area NOT a blockade box.

Naps

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 7
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/18/2007 8:46:19 AM   
Cossaky

Thanks gents!  7 spaces is what I remembered from the boardgame.  The transport movement just threw me off.

(in reply to nappy)
Post #: 8
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/18/2007 2:51:38 PM   
nappy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cossaky

Thanks gents! 7 spaces is what I remembered from the boardgame. The transport movement just threw me off.

Yeah it threw me for a loop too. If you want to use transports then places like Gibraltar , Portugal and Denmark start looking really tasty.

Naps

< Message edited by nappy -- 12/18/2007 2:52:33 PM >

(in reply to Cossaky)
Post #: 9
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/18/2007 4:26:17 PM   
La Provence

For that reason, Gibraltar and Malta are very important for British !

(in reply to nappy)
Post #: 10
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/18/2007 6:47:29 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: zaquex

I do beleive you need a depot in a harbour containing a friendly fleet to use invasion supply (as of the same principle as sea supply).

I tested this last night.

No, you don't have to wait to build the depot until you have dropped the corps off. It works either way. HOWEVER, you won't be able to easily NOTICE that you still have a corps on the fleet, because the round dot takes up the same space for either a depot or a corps. But, the game will stop you at the end of the land phase and ask you if you really meant to starve your troops.

(in reply to zaquex)
Post #: 11
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/19/2007 12:43:39 AM   
zaquex

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: zaquex

I tested this last night.

No, you don't have to wait to build the depot until you have dropped the corps off. It works either way. HOWEVER, you won't be able to easily NOTICE that you still have a corps on the fleet, because the round dot takes up the same space for either a depot or a corps. But, the game will stop you at the end of the land phase and ask you if you really meant to starve your troops.

ok, thank's, wasnt really sure, just remembered having had problems with unloading it without first unloading :-)

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 12
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/20/2007 4:51:33 PM   
Snydeman55

Ok, so I load a transport fleet with a British corp at Plymouth. It can't reach Gibralter. The Corp can't stay on the transport fleet because they'll starve and have to be unloaded.

So the British can never reinforce the Med front? Does this sound reasonable?

(in reply to zaquex)
Post #: 13
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/20/2007 4:59:37 PM   
Snydeman55

Yep, they starved. I loaded the trans fleet at Plymouth, put a supply depot in Plymouth AND on the fleet, and the bloody fleet moved 4 spaces per turn. Not enough to reach Gibralter or ANY port of call. Funny, I don't remember units having to be dropped off EVERY turn, or I remember fleets being loaded and still having all 7 movement points or something, because in my face-to-face games Britain sure had fun transporting guys around the board.

One wonders how the Brits transported anyone anywhere.

Am I doing something wrong? I'd know how to solve this within the logic of the game system if I understood this Byzantine interface.

(in reply to Snydeman55)
Post #: 14
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/20/2007 5:19:17 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Yep, you gotta let them guys stretch their legs a little! Use the heavies to transport your boys to Gibraltar. They can still transport forces, just at a lesser capacity.

I don't think this rule is any different from the board game? Anybody have a house rule where you don't have to unload?

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to Snydeman55)
Post #: 15
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/20/2007 5:36:59 PM   
DodgyDave

perhaps the transport fleet counter, should allow for troops to stay onboard, because a movement of just 3, seems rather limited, perhaps make an option for it, so that you count any onboard as being in a city, so would need a depot each land phase, to pay for their supplies.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 16
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/20/2007 6:00:58 PM   
Bearcat2

I have the original[1983] and 2nd edition 1983,1984 EiA ADG
These rules have:
Armies had to be unloaded at the end of the land phase, or they would be eliminated. However; 1 fleet counter could carry 1 corp counter and there were only 1 type of fleets with up to 30 in a fleet container.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 17
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/20/2007 9:37:29 PM   
Snydeman55

I think the problem is that transport fleets move far too slowly to make them useful to the British. They would only help with a full-scale invasion of France...which usually just isn't going to happen.

Any chance we could increase the movement rate on them, if even for Britain?

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 18
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/21/2007 9:41:09 PM   
JavaJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snydeman55

I think the problem is that transport fleets move far too slowly to make them useful to the British. They would only help with a full-scale invasion of France...which usually just isn't going to happen.

Any chance we could increase the movement rate on them, if even for Britain?

I would campaign for eliminating them and adding a few extra ships to each country to compensate. 5 trnpts = 1Hvy

Vice President Jersey Association Of Gamers
JerseyGamers.com

(in reply to Snydeman55)
Post #: 19
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/21/2007 11:12:34 PM   
DodgyDave

or if they are to remain, make it so that the heavy fleets can add them to the fleet.

but really since heavy and light ships can move troops, then no point for them being in the game really or is there?

(in reply to JavaJoe)
Post #: 20
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/21/2007 11:40:57 PM   
zaquex

The carrying capacity and cost makes them very useful, i agree that this usefulness is somewhat limited by the short range. They seem to be landing ships rather than transports.

Maybe a range of 4 would be balanced as there are certain areas where its impossible to transport troops in a specific direction without disembarking them in a none harbour area (from sicily towards turkey comes to mind) - making it take an extra turn to walk the troops before they can embark again.

Giving them more than 4 range would however make them to good in my humble oppinion.

(in reply to DodgyDave)
Post #: 21
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/22/2007 5:37:00 AM   
Mynok

I like having the transports too, as well as the light fleets. The new capacity rules are more realistic as well, and while they do limit the British reinforcement of the Med somewhat, it keeps to a more realistic level IMO. They still have plenty of fleets capable of getting troops to Gibralter and beyond.

(in reply to zaquex)
Post #: 22
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/23/2007 2:26:45 AM   
kc_chiefs

Guys - I tried invading Portsmouth with Ney and I Corps. I put a Depot on my ship. I have a Depot in a port in France. When the Land Phase ends Ney and I Corps have been moved back to the port where they started from. Ney/I Corps can forage in England just fine but for some reason but when I go to end the Land Phase it says he is Out of Supply. Then he gets moved back to France. Please advise.

I thought that the presence of the Depot in the French port and onboard ship would be sufficient to keep Ney/I Corps in supply.

< Message edited by kc_chiefs -- 12/23/2007 2:29:46 AM >

Bill Peters

(in reply to Snydeman55)
Post #: 23
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/23/2007 6:24:29 AM   
yammahoper

To be in supply, you must have at least one fleet counter in port with at least one ship in it. 

I just played GB for the first time today.  I placed a light fleet with 1 factor in port with a depot and never moved it nor removed the depot, so i always had sea supply available.

The transports are a pain.  Really they can move two sea hexes and drop corps, then provide invasion supple off the coast.  However, they need protection because they auto lose any fight if they are alone.  I put the transport fleet in Gibralter and built three corps there over several eco phases.  I places a depot and put 10I on it, then transfered those infantry to the city, then refilled the depot.  Next eco, I placed two corps, drained the depot and garrison while adding 5I.  The transport with one heavy and light fleet then began the conquest of sardinia and tunisia.

Really, GB has enough heavy fleets to move it corps without the transport fleet.  As turkey and Russia, the transport fleet was far more useful.  Of course, some how Fr ended up at war against GB, Pr, Au and Ru, so by mid 1807 I got an unconditional surrender (and Wellington DIED the month before the Fr surrendered...sucks).

For some reason, a supply depot cannot be made in a blockade box.  Starved a few men before learning that one.

yamma

...nothing is more chaotic than a battle won...

(in reply to kc_chiefs)
Post #: 24
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/23/2007 7:53:02 PM   
kc_chiefs

The port you refer to: is this a friendly port or one you are invading? I am assumming friendly port based on your example of Gibralter.

So besides having the depot on a ship at sea you also need to keep one fleet in a friendly port for the sea supply chain to work? Thus if I do this Ney/I Corps will not be removed to France from England?

Bill Peters

(in reply to yammahoper)
Post #: 25
RE: Creating depots on ships? - 12/24/2007 12:05:44 AM   
yammahoper

You need a depot in a controled port with a fleet to use sea supply.

When you invade, create an invasion supply depot to supply you troops.  After they seize the port/city, you can create a depot in the area and supple corps with new troops as long as they are on or next to a depot.  A deot chain can be made, with one depot every other area.  All but militia can be delivered over/up to six depots in a supply chain.  Militia can only be delivered over one depot (i.e. the one in the port you seize).

The fleet can be in your native port or the seized port I believe, but I always just leave one light fleet with one ship in a home port (London when I am England, Constantinople when Turkey, etc).

yamma

...nothing is more chaotic than a battle won...

(in reply to kc_chiefs)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Creating depots on ships? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI