Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wake Landings!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Wake Landings! Page: <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wake Landings! - 2/6/2009 5:04:29 PM   
FeurerKrieg

Well, if AE is LESS FUN then there is still WITP (non-AE) to play!

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 1591
RE: Wake Landings! - 2/6/2009 9:02:05 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Mister PLOW 9---Thank was a very kind thing to say!  I appreciate the commentary and thought.

In my other Campaign, I sent a comment to the other players that perhaps we need a HR on the subject of atolls.  In the spirit of continuing to grow the conversation regarding other topics, Steve (in our 2x2 First Team AAR) sent the following proposal for atoll attacks in our game:

with no mechanism to automatically increase disruption, fatigue and supply useage/wastage if you overstack how would it work?  

As for force levels:

ATOLLS    (port size+airfield size)x2= 000's          e.g.    (1+ 2)x2 = 6000 

ISLANDS - how to differentiate between small and large (as AE does)?
                 or (port+airfield) x5 = 000's

above sizes are based upto SPS - overbuild doesn't give you more.

I haven't looked at typical bases yet to see if the above makes sense, just threw it into the discussion

The max fort level of 6 for Atolls is something that we might agree on

We would enjoy a discussion on this topic to hammer out a realistic House Rule that might be usable for ourselves and others.

My thoughts for the First Team AAR is to go with this set of troop allowance for atolls and islands. Makes sense and the math is fairly simple. (This helps challenged people like me)

As to Forts how about correspond it to what can be built on the atoll? We could go something like this:

Fort 5---AF+Pt=6 or less
Fort 6---AF+Pt=7-9
Fort 7---AF+Pt=10-12
Fort 8---AF+Pt=13-15
Fort 9 for anything more...

Formula on Brian's Mod:
Wake 10--Fort 7
Tarawa 11--Fort 7
Kwajalein 13--Fort 8
Truk 18--Fort 9

How does that sound for a House Rule?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1592
Final Indochina--Malaya Collapse - 2/6/2009 10:36:33 PM   
John 3rd

This SHOULD have happened about 4-6 months ago with the Japanese losing near 1,000,000 men. Since it has taken so long, casualties will number about 200,000 when all is said and done.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1593
Inner Perimeter - 2/6/2009 10:44:02 PM   
John 3rd

I doubt if Dan would attack the Marianas so I am reinforcing Pagan and Marcus. IF he launches anymore major invasions Marcus is the logical target so most of the supply and fuel goes there. A good amount of fuel will go there because I intend to use it as a refueling stop on my next major operation with the Kaigun.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1594
RE: Inner Perimeter - 2/7/2009 1:26:52 AM   
MrPlow9

Great update as always! Just curious, what CV/CVL are coming out the the shipyards, and are these your last ships or do you have any other warships coming in the future? I seem to have a faint memory of you saying that you halted the Shinano? Or am I mistaken?
Thanks!

Your Always Friendly,
MrPlow

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1595
New Construction - 2/7/2009 3:02:12 AM   
John 3rd

The Kasagi and Ibuki are a day out from Palau.  CV Aso will be completed in about 20 days.  I have 6-8 DD being completed within that same time period too...

The thing I have really noticed is since I shutdown all AK/TK/AO/AP with more then 100 days to completion, my ASW ships are coming off the ways in a much more rapid manner.  In the last 10 game turns I have created 3 NEW ASW TF of 5-7 ships all with an ASW Attack Number of at least 50!  There are roughly 10 other Hunter-Killer Groups prowling around as it is now.  These reinforcements are a most welcome addition!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to MrPlow9)
Post #: 1596
RE: New Construction - 2/7/2009 4:39:10 AM   
n01487477

I guess CV Ikoma is the last CV (about 50 days out I guess) you will build with 65 planes to exact a nice toll on the Allies - I'm glad to see that Brian gives pilots to these late war CV airgroups. Are you planning on halting some more shipbuilding after this or Aso?

I guess the SS's with Glen's are too far out to make much difference now, but there are plenty of PC's and a few DD's that might be valuable.

I'm not sure why you think Merchant halting would allow more ASW ships ... are we talking PC's ? They are part of the Naval build - and from my analysis - you had a heap accelerated so they should be rolling off the line as you say.

I have to ask - what was your thinking about sacrificing all those troops at Singapore? What I mean is did you at some stage think that you wanted to get them out to bolster your inner perimeter or are you content in killing off some Allied troops & halting the Allied advance before they make the move to the SRA. It is just that I am facing a similar decision (but in '42 unfortunately).

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1597
New Construction - 2/7/2009 6:10:10 AM   
John 3rd

Damian--Here is the screenshot of my remaining naval construction. There is not much left. As soon as I get Aso, I will shut down another shipyard to save HI.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 1598
Troop Choices - 2/7/2009 6:36:36 AM   
John 3rd

In regards to the questions regarding troops left to pullout and what I chose to grab, this is a pretty serious topic.

When Dan split my defense in two about March 1944 I thought that the battle was over.  My front became independent and I could no longer improvise a continous defense.  My immediate decision was to pull out troops that were badly damaged and rebuild them.  Had the Allies chosen to attack and keep up the pressure, I would have stood a very real probability of losing nearly 1,000,000 men.  Allied LBA would have cost me DOZENS of ships and thousands of troops lost at sea.

Seeing the endless number of Allied troops expanding I realized there was no chance of holding these positions with my beat-up forces (Saigon, Bangkok, Cam Rahn Bay in the east and Georgetown to Singapore in the west) against any form of determined attack.  I was faced with the option of pulling troops out a unit at a time while TRYING to LOOK like I intended to duke it out.  Considering that six months passed before the hammer blows fell I think this plan succeeded.

Instead of losing 1,000,000 troops, I will lose about 125,000.  While a large number I have to caution that even now I am evacuating--by air--fragments of these units.  Singapore has been operating 2 groups of Transports for the last 3 weeks flying units into the town north of Palembang.  The Saigon situation is even better in that Dan forgot to take Soc Trang PRIOR to his assault on Saigon.  With the AF bombed out for the last month I couldn't pull any gragments out of Saigon.  With the option of retreating to Soc Trang, the Allies have ignored the AF there and I have had 4 Transport Groups flying from Brunei and Jesselton grabbing troops.  Have accomplished the same thing in the Central Pacific with planes from Marcus pulling troops from Wake.

As these units are pulled they then get picked up and dropped off somewhere where they can rebuild.  For the most part that has meant Soerabaja due to it keeping supplies over 20-25,000 constantly.  Units have built back up pretty quickly.  Am example would be the 1st and 3rd Tank Divisions.  When I pulled them out of Saigon about 2 months ago they were at 20-25% strength.  Now they are back to full strength and ready for action.  Have done the same with at least 3 Inf Div as well.  With there being no chance of holding these doomed locations the Japanese have managed to pull out most of the major units, rebuilt many, and will be able to use them again.

There comes a time with every Japanese player as when to begin the fallback and create the Inner/Outer Defense Perimeter.  For me in this game that began the moment I realized I could not finish off Australia.  Troops from the Aleutians to the Society Islands were lifted off and drawn back into a stronger line. 

For good effect this worked out pretty well; however, the Iwo Jima invasion REALLY screwed up my planning.  I was prepared for a landing in the Philippines and that is where Dan WAS going.  Once he got cold feet he shifted to Iwo and took nearly 2 weeks to wrest it from a mere Brigade there.  If I had had even an Inf Div defending it then I would not have lost it and strategic bombardment would not have come early.  THAT is the telling point of this campaign.

I had guessed right to start with but hadn't bargained on my opponent getting cold feet and shifting his target in mid-movement! 

Additionally think about the mistakes made with the economy.  For a period of nearly a year late-42 to late-43 my economy basically staggered from one month to the next.  If not for the help of mainly Michael and Damian my economy would have totally collapsed at the start of 1944.  So many readers have helped with excellent suggestions and thoughts that I have truly been touched.  You guys have taught me so much about the game I never knew!  Thanks.

This sort of rambles but I hope it makes sense...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1599
RE: Troop Choices - 2/7/2009 1:22:05 PM   
vettim89

Is CV Shinano active or did you cancel her? Wouldn't complain about your economy too much as you have already built far more carriers than the RL Japanese did

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1600
RE: Troop Choices - 2/7/2009 3:39:53 PM   
John 3rd

Cancelled.  You are correct though on the 'at least they got built and USED' thoughts.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 2/7/2009 10:46:52 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1601
60,000 Hits - 2/7/2009 10:48:11 PM   
John 3rd

Wow.

Just passed 60,000 hits on the AAR. 

Getting ready to send a turn to Dan.  Will post any excitement that occurs.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1602
Jettison Bombs! - 2/8/2009 2:24:55 AM   
John 3rd

A big fight over Tokyo with the JAPANESE holding the field at the end of the fight!

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1603
RE: Jettison Bombs! - 2/8/2009 2:31:18 AM   
MrPlow9

Great Job! Lets hope this is a small taste of the many victories to come!
Banzai!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1604
RE: Jettison Bombs! - 2/8/2009 3:32:28 AM   
John 3rd

Thank you for the vote of confidence but ANY victory at this point is glorious for the Empire.  We say this because all Japanese know that their days are numbered.

CV Kasagi and CVL Ibuki ran the gauntlet of American SS to arrive at Palau on the 21st. 

On the ASW Front the battle rages!  About 180 miles North of Soerbaja the SS Taurus is hit by 9 DC in the morning, rises to the surface to put a single Torp into APD-34, and then gets sunk by the counterattacking Japanese PC!  The APD limps for Port with about a 50-50 chance of staying afloat.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to MrPlow9)
Post #: 1605
RE: Jettison Bombs! - 2/8/2009 4:56:07 AM   
modrow

Hi John,

great to see you are dealing some blows in the fight against strategic bombing now that Mr. Frank is around. Makes me hope your opponent will decide he has to run a couple of additional invasions.

What is your current estimate on the amount of damage you do to the invaders at Wake ? Will the units Dan uses there be available for anoher fight any time soon, or is that just going to take time ?

And how is the air war in China developing ?

Thanks

Hartwig

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1606
RE: Jettison Bombs! - 2/8/2009 5:42:47 AM   
John 3rd

The Franks have at made it more costly to bombard Japan.  I've watched the Strategic Loss points to this point in the month and he hasn't gained that many.  With the diversion to attacks in Manchuria as well as AF strikes, I have really not sustained too much damage over the last 3 weeks.  It is a positive development but won't last too long.

As to China, I got 12 Daitai/Sentai of Fighters trained up to the minimum of 60-65 EXP and have abandoned the Theatre.  There must be at least 500-700 Fighters in China right now for the Allies.  This is GREAT because that means they are not elsewhere!

As to Wake, I have no clear idea.  The second assault and its attacks cost an estimated 18,000 Casaulties.  Considering that I pounded the troops at Wake for nearly a month with Helens and Jills (at least 200-300 casualties each day), I would imagine that he will need some time to flesh them back out.

My guess (it is ONLY a guess) is that he will either (1) clean out the Marshalls, (2) grab Marcus, or (3) attack Truk.  The Marshalls are pretty much empty so that isn't a big deal to me.  Marcus (as shown on the screenshots earlier) is getting reinforced and would be more bloody then Wake.  Truk has a solid Inf Div and strong base support.  I would be concerned for Truk but it will still put up a good fight.

Considering the Kaigun is at Palau, I would be able to react fairly quickly (if I want to) to either 2 or 3.  Course I could also go raiding with the Kaigun too...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to modrow)
Post #: 1607
RE: Jettison Bombs! - 2/8/2009 3:12:39 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

The Franks have at made it more costly to bombard Japan.  I've watched the Strategic Loss points to this point in the month and he hasn't gained that many.  With the diversion to attacks in Manchuria as well as AF strikes, I have really not sustained too much damage over the last 3 weeks.  It is a positive development but won't last too long.

As to China, I got 12 Daitai/Sentai of Fighters trained up to the minimum of 60-65 EXP and have abandoned the Theatre.  There must be at least 500-700 Fighters in China right now for the Allies.  This is GREAT because that means they are not elsewhere!

As to Wake, I have no clear idea.  The second assault and its attacks cost an estimated 18,000 Casaulties.  Considering that I pounded the troops at Wake for nearly a month with Helens and Jills (at least 200-300 casualties each day), I would imagine that he will need some time to flesh them back out.

My guess (it is ONLY a guess) is that he will either (1) clean out the Marshalls, (2) grab Marcus, or (3) attack Truk.  The Marshalls are pretty much empty so that isn't a big deal to me.  Marcus (as shown on the screenshots earlier) is getting reinforced and would be more bloody then Wake.  Truk has a solid Inf Div and strong base support.  I would be concerned for Truk but it will still put up a good fight.

Considering the Kaigun is at Palau, I would be able to react fairly quickly (if I want to) to either 2 or 3.  Course I could also go raiding with the Kaigun too...

Hi John

I´ve asked before but either I can´t find an answer or I can´t remember reading it! How do your CAP numbers in the air look like at bases you have radar?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1608
RE: Jettison Bombs! - 2/8/2009 3:55:24 PM   
bigbaba

you and your opponent are doing a fantastic job, john. to be able to celeberate such defensive victories in this late state of the war like over tokys as the japanese earns respect.

your samurais are more then a match for the anglo-american aggressors.

how do you keep their XP so high in august 1944? whats your fighter pilot training method, john?

< Message edited by bigbaba -- 2/8/2009 3:59:27 PM >

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 1609
The Kaigun is Ready and Mobile... - 2/8/2009 4:48:56 PM   
John 3rd

Here is the Fleet right now:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 1610
RE: The Kaigun is Ready and Mobile... - 2/8/2009 5:03:05 PM   
John 3rd

Good questions.  As I am headed out to see my Father let me be brief and then I will try to add more when I return:

Castor:  I think the radar IS helping.  There is a larger percentage of Fighters appearing on CAP when a strike comes in and I am not (apparently) getting bounced as much. 

Have also changed my tactics a bit.  Dan always flies a recon mission ahead of his strikes.  I've shifted a portion of my CAP to LR CAP Range:  1 so some CAP from nearby locations moved in for support.  This REALLY appears to work on his multiple wave attacks.

Big Baba:  Thank you Sir.  My training had been frantic in July/August getting my fighter up to a minimum of 60-65 EXP by hitting China (Operation Harukaze).  Once that was done, I am closely watched the EXP as the battles over Japan have gone on.  I am losing only about 1 pilot for every 3-4 airframes and EXP is staying about the same if not climbing some. 

Have new aces appearing left and right.

Should post a screenshot of my leading pilots...

Got to go!

Hope that answers the queries??!!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1611
RE: The Kaigun is Ready and Mobile... - 2/8/2009 6:10:26 PM   
veji1

why would you strike eniwetok with the KB ? It will only tell him precisely where it is... I mean he probably knows it has to be somewhere between eastern DEI and Formosa, but still, better not to hit for no gain except a few exp points... you would probably be better off going for a raid somewhere....

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1612
RE: The Kaigun is Ready and Mobile... - 2/8/2009 9:29:16 PM   
John 3rd

Your thoughts are solid.  I keep thinking that Dan has to run his convoys of supplies and fuel between Midway and the Aleutians.  His aerial search is pretty poor.  Perhaps I could slip through the Marcus Gap and move into the shipping lanes with the ability to run for Home if needed.  I've got plenty of fuel to work with but need some more AO Support.

Am going to revamp my CV TF Organization and then will add it to the AAR.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 1613
ASW Fighting - 2/9/2009 1:47:57 AM   
John 3rd

August 23, 1944

In the raging battles taking place east and southeast of the Philippines, the spotlight shifts to 120 miles due east of Legaspi. An ASW TF is moving towards Legaspi when it encounters SS Capelin in the morning. Guided by an ASW plane flying from Legaspi several DC are dropped that do some damage to the sub. As the day moves into the afternoon the Captain of the Capelin comes to periscope depth and plants 2 TT into the starboard flank of an older PC.

As the older ship sinks, the 4 modern PCs close for the kill as they then nail the hapless submarine with many depth charges. Regretting his decision to attack, the Captain of the Capelin doesn't get the chance to re-think his choice as the cruel sea lays claim to his command.

The Capelin becomes the 3rd SS sunk by Japanese ASW in 10 days.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 2/9/2009 3:55:21 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1614
RE: ASW Fighting - 2/9/2009 10:07:09 AM   
veji1

banzai ! keep the new PCs flowing, they will exact a toll...

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1615
Battle over Harbin! - 2/9/2009 6:00:05 PM   
John 3rd

Weeeeeeeee....

Got to do a 2x2 Turn now.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 1616
RE: Battle over Harbin! - 2/10/2009 12:47:42 AM   
Heeward

What is the experience levels of the units rebuilt from withdrawn fragments versus the original unit?

The Wake

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1617
RE: Battle over Harbin! - 2/10/2009 6:13:23 AM   
John 3rd

I will look at those armored divisions on the next turn and write it down.  You ask a solid question.

Dan and I got 4 turns in today but I am dead tired so won't do a major update until tomorrow.  Only really important note is that Tori Shima finally went to AF-2 and immediately Osaka got swept by 91 Allied Fighters from there.  It is a sad development.  We'll see how quickly I can counter.  I made mention to Dan the note about there only being 100 planes TOTAL on that AF??!!  Since I was nailed by 91...

He gets cranky when I remind him of HR but Tori Shima could be abused pretty easily...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Heeward)
Post #: 1618
RE: Battle over Harbin! - 2/10/2009 11:20:42 AM   
tocaff

A 91 plane, give or take, sweep does reflect keeping to your house rules on basing limitations with the assumption that it's only a fighter base.

The pressure of the constant bombing having any negative effects on pilot morale or is the Allied shifting of targets allowing for it to remain high?

The 2 of you are presenting a very entertaining and interesting picture of your war.  I've picked up lots of interesting tidbits from you both to store away for future consideration in my PBEMs.  Keep up the good work.

< Message edited by tocaff -- 2/10/2009 11:22:47 AM >

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1619
RE: Battle over Harbin! - 2/10/2009 10:02:15 PM   
Panther Bait

It's probably just a fighter base.  At AF-2, it's too small for 4E bombers, and there aren't any 2E bombers, DBs or TBs in the area that I have seen in the AARs.  About the only other thing at a base that small would be recon, right?

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1620
Page:   <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Wake Landings! Page: <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI