Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Removing units from a formation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Removing units from a formation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Removing units from a formation - 9/15/2000 6:38:00 PM   
Stahler

I'd like to know if there is a way of removing units from a formation when designing a scenario. For instance when buying a rifle platoon I get 3 squads, but I just wanna have 2 in that platoon. I found that setting the men to 0 doesn't quite remove the unit, just destroys it, and with vehicles it also creates a wreck. Is there another way to do this?

Post #: 1
- 9/15/2000 7:06:00 PM   
Grisha

Maybe the only way to do that would be with an OOB editor, but then that oob file will need to be zipped with the scenario if another player is to play it. btw, is this the same Stahler from Aces High? If so, Hi! this is leonid

Best regards,
Greg Guerrero

(in reply to Stahler)
Post #: 2
- 9/15/2000 8:31:00 PM   
Panzer Leader

On the BUY screen, buy an extra unit, maybe a sniper. In the deploy screen there is a button to assign a unit to a different HQ. Look, you'll find it. Just select the unit you want to get rid of and assign it to the sniper. Then go to the BUY screen and delete the sniper's formation by clicking on it.

(in reply to Stahler)
Post #: 3
- 9/15/2000 11:15:00 PM   
Stahler

Thanks Panzer Leader! That should do the trick. Finally a way of customizing the formations. Grisha: I'm sorry, this is another Stahler but Hi! anyway Stahler

(in reply to Stahler)
Post #: 4
- 9/16/2000 2:50:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Nicely done, Panzer Leader! Good job. Now do me a favor, write that up as a SPWAW editing tip and we'll include on the next Raider page. Put your name on it please. If Panzer Leader is the name that you want to use to identify yourself, fine. I just want to make sure you get credit for the idea. billw@thegamers.net Thanks...WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Stahler)
Post #: 5
- 9/16/2000 10:00:00 AM   
Grisha

Yeah, that's a cool trick, Panzer Leader. Well done

Best regards,
Greg Guerrero

(in reply to Stahler)
Post #: 6
- 9/17/2000 11:44:00 PM   
Panzer Leader

Wild Bill, Sure I'd love to submit editing tips because I know how difficult it can be figuring out such a mammoth game. Its easy enough to play but a bit of a challenge for designers at first. I've been following your work with Steel Panthers for some time. I am a veteran of the original Squad Leader series and have EVERY version of Steel Panthers. I love what Matrix has done with it. Should I email any tips to you? And no, I probably won't use "Panzer Leader" but my actual name. Thanks for the pat on the back. -Wesley "von" Bult a.k.a. Panzer Leader

(in reply to Stahler)
Post #: 7
- 9/18/2000 12:11:00 AM   
Don

I used that tip about 5 times over the last two days on my new little scenario - it's a great one. Another problem I ran into was tanks I had immobilized coming "back to life" because the game now tries to repair breakdowns. I haven't found a way to keep this from happening yet so I just took away all the ammo for all the guns so at least they'll be useless, like they're supposed to be! Don

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Stahler)
Post #: 8
- 9/18/2000 1:00:00 AM   
von Bult

RE: Tanks "coming back to life" If these are tanks that were designed to be wrecks at scenario start and were not immobilized during play, maybe you could set their crew size (number of men) to zero along with their movement allowance in the EDITOR. I'm sure tanks need a crew to be repaired. Just an idea, haven't tried it. If it works, I'd like to try it sometime.

(in reply to Stahler)
Post #: 9
- 9/18/2000 1:25:00 AM   
Don

Hi von Bult, There are 4 wrecked tanks and then these "stuck" tanks, who to be historically accurate, are crewed and ready to go, but they are on an elevated road with dikes on the sides that are impassable to tanks, and since the road is narrow they can't proceed because of the wrecks. I'm looking for a few play testers of this small and fast scenario, so if you'd like to see it, email me and I'll shoot it to you. If you've seen Wild Bill's "Panzers Forward", which is great, mine is alot like that but with troops moving instead of tanks. Don egcwman@mindspring.com

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Stahler)
Post #: 10
- 9/18/2000 5:09:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Send it Panzer Leader. I'm standing by! What, you haven't sent it yet?... WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Stahler)
Post #: 11
- 9/18/2000 8:37:00 PM   
Charles22

Yeah that idea of Panzer Leader's is great. Now I can get rid of the fat in some of the formations if I so choose; like eliminating the blasted 60 points put into mortars in that SS infantry squad.

(in reply to Stahler)
Post #: 12
- 9/19/2000 1:10:00 AM   
von Bult

Don, Those Irish sure do fix their tanks quickly! Almost like the battery was dead and just needed a jump. One tank was fixed on the first turn! Well maybe this will help: I opened the scenario .dat file with WAW Ed (a scenario editor that comes with SPWaW version 4.0) and even though the tanks have been immobilized, they have no damage. I believe that if the tanks were a little damaged, the crews could not fix them so quickly. Open the file with WAW ED and bring up each tank's unit data. Change the DAMAGE level at the bottom of the display. Click "Retain" each time you edit a unit and save the scenario file when you're done. Careful, too much damage and they may bail, too little and its an easy repair. See how much damage it takes to keep the crews busy until the scenario ends. -von Bult wbult@netscape.net

(in reply to Stahler)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Removing units from a formation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI