Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The real victory level of this game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: The real victory level of this game Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/26/2007 8:37:54 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DD696

Within the game, victory would be having the 1st Marine Division sitting unopposed in Tokyo for 15 turns.

I think this means then that only 1% of the Allied players would ever achieve victory... nearly no chance to win a land war in Japan IMO...

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 31
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/26/2007 8:52:14 PM   
Feinder

quote:

quote:

quote:

Within the game, victory would be having the 1st Marine Division sitting unopposed in Tokyo for 15 turns.

I think this means then that only 1% of the Allied players would ever achieve victory... nearly no chance to win a land war in Japan IMO...

The irony being, I'm pretty sure DD696 is talking about victory vs. the AI (and his distaste for PBEM).

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 32
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/26/2007 9:32:17 PM   
Dino

quote:

Victory within the forum would be to be allowed to play the game and comment upon it without having the constant harrassment of being told to play PBEM. You know, something like "liberty, justice and the pursuit of happiness for all, including AI players".

Are you developing a complex, Larry?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 33
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/26/2007 9:51:20 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dino

Kalimero!

To je prava pravcata nepravda!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Dino)
Post #: 34
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/26/2007 10:22:09 PM   
okami

quote:

Victory within the forum would be to be allowed to play the game and comment upon it without having the constant harrassment of being told to play PBEM. You know, something like "liberty, justice and the pursuit of happiness for all, including AI players".

Come over to the darkside, you know youwant to.

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 35
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/26/2007 11:49:55 PM   
BrucePowers

I play both ways. They are both fun. Enjoy the way you play.

I won't harass you

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 36
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/27/2007 12:03:05 AM   
Skyros

Why all this talk of “Winning” and “Losing” when we should be concentrating on the fact that we have purpose in our lives. We enjoy sitting before our computers, late in the evening cranking out “one more turn” before bed. We have lively interaction on the forums as we type away, alone, at our computers. Often we listen to our spouses complain as we take one more phone call from our opponent to rehash the last month of turns. Yes it is Joyful what we do. So let us not talk of “Winning” or “Losing” when we can talk of JOY.

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 37
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/28/2007 6:48:39 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

Merry Christmas Ron!

Well, the modeling of carrier battles in UV/WITP/WPO/AE would be a large and much different topic from "the real victory level of this game" topic of the current thread. So I'll start of a "Modeling of Carrier Battles" thread over in the design forum and we can discuss over there, ok!?

Joe Wilkerson

S'allright!

< Message edited by Ron Saueracker -- 12/28/2007 6:50:19 PM >

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 38
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/29/2007 2:09:13 AM   
Andy Mac

As land team lead for AE I always get nervous when I see the Banner at the bottom of Rons posts.......

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 39
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/29/2007 2:46:24 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

As land team lead for AE I always get nervous when I see the Banner at the bottom of Rons posts.......

So are you worried about the girls, or the bartender or the bartender's drink!?

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 40
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/31/2007 1:06:18 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Be afraid...be very afraid.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 41
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/31/2007 1:53:11 PM   
Andy Mac

The bartender....

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 42
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/31/2007 3:33:49 PM   
DD696

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dino

quote:

Are you developing a complex, Larry?

No more so than any PBEM only player. So it is your opinion that the AI players should just pack up and leave - or just me since the "elitist PBEM" attitude really rubs me the wrong way and I think it to be fair that I be able to respond? Who would buy these games and provide the support they need in order to be commercially feasible if the AI players are no longer welcome?

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

(in reply to Dino)
Post #: 43
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/31/2007 3:54:38 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

No more so than any PBEM only player. So it is your opinion that the AI players should just pack up and leave - or just me since the "elitist PBEM" attitude really rubs me the wrong way and I think it to be fair that I be able to respond? Who would buy these games and provide the support they need in order to be commercially feasible if the AI players are no longer welcome?

I don't understand your worry about what anybody else thinks or says. You only play the game with yourself and your computer..., so why should anyone elses viewpoint bother you? Just have fun playing it the way you want to play it. PBEMer's have to be social and active on the forum to find opponants---but you don't. If you don't like their "elitist" attitude, don't read their posts. You can "block" anyone you find annoying, but everyone should be welcome on the forum. Live and let live....

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 44
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/31/2007 4:33:48 PM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: trollelite

should be>

Japanese Victory: While allies get beated, get kicked out of the war, get a draw, get a moderate victor, or get anything if Japanese side remained alive after August, 1945

Draw: An allies decisive victory after June, 1944, before August, 1945

Allies Victory: An allies decisive victory before June,1944

This should reflects the true skill level of two sides. And this is only after applying strict HR restriction to allies side.

Allies so-called victory, except for a quick and decisive one, is meaningless, considering those vast resource they have.

If in those RTS games one's farmer could collect resource in a speed 4 or 5 times faster than others, he could always hope to win some sets, even others are with vastly superior skill, but such "victory" is of course hollowed, could prove nothing.

With the exception that VC are dependent on points, which I'm never a huge fan of in games, I think they are very well thought out.

This is a grognards game which means it isn't supposed to be complete fantasy. In real life a favorably negotiated peace was a reasonable VC for Japan. There is no way that would have ever been acceptable to the US...never. Why? They were pissed off and they knew they had the resources to crush Japan. Those resources in the game aren't made up. They actually existed. Japan was doomed the minute they attacked PH. The game accurately reflects this. However, how could being crushed a few months later than was historical be considered "a victory". IMO the only real victory for Japan in the game should be making the allied player want to give up, i.e. surrender.

This all presupposes a game in which the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor. The sneak attack generated a clear and definable cassus belli for the American Public. What happens if the Japanese don't attack Pearl Harbor? Or declare war then a week later attack Pearl Harbor? Do the Americans still enter the war with the zeal and fervor that Pearl Harbor caused? Would a negotiated peace have been plausible in that scenario?

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: The real victory level of this game Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI