Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombing Raid?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombing Raid? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombing Raid? - 12/30/2007 12:09:29 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

I ask now after losing the entire French air force in the first turn of my 1939 scenario pbem!

Also, Does anyone know the differences between all the 1939 scenarios with letters after them? They look the same to me.

And finally, If I choose to give up on france. How can i get lots of french troops out to Britain in order to continue the fight?
Post #: 1
RE: What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombin... - 12/30/2007 2:25:25 PM   
EricSilver_MatrixForum

Regarding the letters of the scenarios, they represent different versions of it, so load the latest one always.

(in reply to Delyn Locksmiths)
Post #: 2
RE: What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombin... - 12/30/2007 2:31:12 PM   
seille

Bombing raid -> target is production capacity (structural damage at target)
Air strike -> target are troops

You lost the french air force in turn 1? Then you was probably crazy enough to send
them against Germany....
The german fighters start with 100XP. You can never beat them at this time. Not in offensive
and not in defensive. They simply wipe your planes out....Your mistake. Only way to safe them is to move them to England and protect them by
ship flak

1939j is the latest version. You can delete the others.

France: Giving it up too early might be a mistake. Gives teh Germans to much time to do weird things with the UK for example...
Evacuating. You have some cargoships to do that. If the two you have in your "merchant marine" are not enough
you can add the other two from UK HQ to support. But better you fight as hard as possible for France.

< Message edited by seille -- 12/30/2007 2:32:40 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombin... - 12/30/2007 3:45:26 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: seille

1939j is the latest version. You can delete the others.

1939k comes with the new patch.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 4
RE: What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombin... - 12/30/2007 3:53:32 PM   
seille

Ok, then take "k" and delete the others.
Not sure, but i bet "k" = "j", but it´s just saved with 1.10
to avoid any messages.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 5
RE: What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombin... - 12/30/2007 4:19:52 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

Thanks guys, one more question

And is the only reason I can't strategically transfer a cargo ship from my British High Command to Gibraltar the fact that there are fog of war hexes inbetween?

I want the capacity to move one of the flak and engineer action cards units to Malta in order to shore it up.

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 6
RE: What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombin... - 12/30/2007 5:11:25 PM   
seille

You cannot mov ethe ship over a that big distance because the ship can´t transfer itself.
It moves with cargoship speed which are 20 hexes here.
You cannot move the cargoships over distances of more than 20 hexes.

But you can send the cargoship from Malta to Gibraltar.
Or you create a cargoship unit manually, move it to Gibraltar, transfer the ship into Gibraltar HQ
and disband the empty unit there.

Post #: 7
RE: What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombin... - 12/30/2007 5:19:34 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

Thank you, as most of my reinforcements are going to be from action cards, is it worth researching e.g. Rifle II?

Will the troops i get from the cards come as Rifle or Rifle II?

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 8
RE: What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombin... - 12/30/2007 7:35:25 PM   
seille

Doesn´t matter what side you play here, but rifle II and fighter II are a must.
Rifle II is usually my first upgrade.

You get automaticly rifle II with the cards delivered once it´s researched.
Always the latest tech level.

Post #: 9
RE: What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombin... - 12/30/2007 8:40:13 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

Thank you.

And I can't build fortresses on urban hexes in this scenario?

I've build a fortified line in the Egyptian desert. But only after failing to fortify the towns I actually wanted to protect.

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 10
RE: What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombin... - 12/30/2007 8:42:54 PM   
seille

Towns give a natural protection. Why fortifying ?
Look at the max entrenchment your infantry get in towns

Post #: 11
RE: What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombin... - 12/30/2007 8:47:31 PM   
seille

If you want some extra heavy protection build the fortification(s) in front of the towns.
But egypt is really no important place in 1939.
Better have a eye on England if you play the west. If Germany get control over England
you´ll
1. lose 25PP base income + another 25PP in production value
2. lose the ability to use strategic bombers
3. lose the ability to place units there

Some fortifications around Alexandria might be a good idea depending on the situation,
but the UK are much more important. If you lose control over England you´ll probably lose the game
(depending on the time this happens).

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 12
RE: What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombin... - 12/30/2007 9:36:35 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

Thanks for the help lads, it would have been a walkover for my opponent already without your advice. Turn 3 now, Poland went first turn, The neutral countries are still so, and not an inch of French soil has been yieldied yet, but that's only cause Germany has spent her forces destroying the small mobile units I sent into her!

My defensive line looks quite weak. North Africa is ready to repel the Italians, but Britain is fairly defencless apart from her fleets. I take it my fleets will automatically intercept attempted invasions? If not, is there something I can do to keep an invasion force at bay?

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 13
RE: What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombin... - 12/31/2007 10:41:44 AM   
seille

There is a good AAR for this scenario (Tweber vs me). You can see how to defend the UK.
Even it was not effective at the end i made the job very difficult for tweber.

As a key for defending the UK i think fortifying Birmingham-Manchester area is important.
Often a lot of flak is needed. Lots of infantry and some armored reserves.
When the time was come i often abandoned London since it´s normally not to defend long term
when the german player really want it. What the german player need for successful invasion is air superiority
and if possible hitting the royal navy before. But that´s not easy...
The ships do not defend against naval invasions as far as i know. They would simply surrender when there
are no defending ground troops !! But their ship flak can protect your cities very effective against strategic
attack. I usually used 3 ship groups (two from UK + the one from Gibraltar) for defending the UK. And i never
split the ships. They are always in the same hex to make air attacks for the Germans harder-impossible.

Post #: 14
RE: What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombin... - 12/31/2007 4:25:34 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

Well, I just landed a large force in Northern Germany, that should keep him busy in the rear for a while and hold off his mopping up of France. Only January 1940, and Paris is about to fall

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 15
RE: What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombin... - 12/31/2007 5:40:57 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

Hmmmm, and now the turn has been opened twice

Post #: 16
RE: What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombin... - 12/31/2007 5:44:50 PM   
seille

Happens sometimes. I try to let my opponent know WHY i had to reopen the turn.
In 1939 i can remember that i forgot to switch the arrival card, so my needed new units
arrived at the wrong place. Since this i´m more careful here.

Post #: 17
RE: What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombin... - 12/31/2007 8:42:19 PM   
wmcalpine

I agree with Seille. I am in my second 1939 game, but have messed up on my reinforcement arrivals several times, sending units to Manchester rather than Paris, or Gibralter rather than Alexandria. My opponent has been very nice about this, but I always tell him what happened and give him the option of allowing me to restart the turn, of having me live with my errors.

Bill

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> What's the difference between Air Strike and Bombing Raid? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI