Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some Questions In Relation To advanced Tactics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Some Questions In Relation To advanced Tactics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some Questions In Relation To advanced Tactics - 12/31/2007 3:13:37 PM   
AKAGI7137

I am trying to decide whether to get The Operational Art Of War III and/or Advanced Tactics. Can I ask some questions:-

1) Does Advanced Tactics 'Physical Purchase' come with a printed manual and has the physical version actually started shipping yet - the web site does not appear to be up to date (You know the red wording)?

2) How does Advanced Tactics compare with TOAW III in complexity and versatility etc - has AT, being a new design, completely surpassed the older but now refined old Talonsoft title?

3) The final thing is the wording in the AT pages makes reference to this being 'the first in a series of modules' or words to that effect. Has Matrix / VR Designs elaborated upon this at all. Have they said anything about further installments?. I am a game collector more than a Player and I love series games where you are always looking out for something new.
Post #: 1
RE: Some Questions In Relation To advanced Tactics - 12/31/2007 3:44:21 PM   
Vic

Hi there,

1. Yes

2. I prefer to let others comment on that question since i am not objective enough :)

3. I am currently thinking of releasing a new "installment" somewhere within 8-16 months from now. I cannot disclose any details about this at the moment though.

Kind regards,
Vic

(in reply to AKAGI7137)
Post #: 2
RE: Some Questions In Relation To advanced Tactics - 12/31/2007 5:14:12 PM   
JMass

quote:

ORIGINAL: AKAGI1708

I am trying to decide whether to get The Operational Art Of War III and/or Advanced Tactics.

The two games are quite different, I think the best thing to do is not decide for one or the other but to buy bother.

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

(in reply to AKAGI7137)
Post #: 3
RE: Some Questions In Relation To advanced Tactics - 12/31/2007 7:33:36 PM   
Harmonium

quote:

ORIGINAL: JMass
The two games are quite different, I think the best thing to do is not decide for one or the other but to buy bother.

I recently got both, and with my limited knowledge would agree that they are different enough to justify purchasing both. I'm pretty new to the genre and am playing and enjoying AT right now. Have gone through a couple tutorials in TOAW (Kasserine and Anonymous Heroics - very well written btw), but haven't played a game yet. Also I believe TOAW3 is on sale at 25% off until Jan 7th.

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 4
RE: Some Questions In Relation To advanced Tactics - 12/31/2007 9:27:21 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: AKAGI1708

I am trying to decide whether to get The Operational Art Of War III and/or Advanced Tactics. Can I ask some questions:-

2) How does Advanced Tactics compare with TOAW III in complexity and versatility etc - has AT, being a new design, completely surpassed the older but now refined old Talonsoft title?

I have both (actually I have three different incarnations of TOAW including TOAW III). I've had AT for around a month, maybe 6 weeks now. The two games are quite different though. AT actually LOOKS a llittle less complex, and you can easily sit down and play a short game in one sitting. AT provides an excellent environment for creating and editing scenarios, one of the best if not THE best I've seen in a game.

And though it looks less complex, it actually isn't. The units in AT aren't constrained to represent a particular organizational heirarchy, ie. Bn. or Rgts. or Div. So it's not as easy to see the historical background of the operations (but actually, the feel of the battles is very historical). In TOAW you have units with Rgts, Bn, Divisions, and for Armor they have Stug III's and Mk IV's, you have BT-7's as well as BT-7a's in your units. In other words, the details in TOAW look more historically accurate.

For armor, AT has LT, Med, and Hvy Tanks, and 4 different levels (so you have 12 Tank types to use). But, it's pretty easy to see the impacts of changing between Tank types in AT,m while in TOAW I'm not sure I'd notice if my units were loaded up with BT-7a's rather than BT-7's. This same type of comparison can be made for the rest of the formations (infantry, air, naval, etc.) in both games,

I think as time goes on, you'll see a lot of scenarios coming out for AT. (in fact, if you wanted, you could acutally make BT-7's and BT-7a's and create sub formations to use in a scenario you create). So flexibility would have to go to AT.

In summary, out of the box historical look - TOAW III
complexity - pretty much equal (though AT 'looks' more simplistic).
flexibility - AT

I like them both, (I've had a TOAW version since 1998 or 1999, whenever TOAW I first came out), but I havnet played TOAW once in last 6 weeks.

I recommend you buy one now, and save your money and buy the next - they are both games you'll get hours of enjoyment from.

Rick

(in reply to AKAGI7137)
Post #: 5
RE: Some Questions In Relation To advanced Tactics - 12/31/2007 10:52:45 PM   
DasTactic

I support Rick's comments. I've owned TOAW through the various incantations over the years but personally I prefer the freedom and simplicity of AT over TOAW. In AT I believe that the decisions you make have a more dramatic effect than in TOAW, and in turn lead to more exciting games.

For example, in AT (random game) you may have an armoured force that you have built that works well until it meets units that are equipped with Anti Tank guns. So you add Dive Bomber support units because they are very effective against artillery. Or you add Mortar units etc.

In TOAW you get what you get and have no real say in what the make-up of the forces is - instead you need to work with what the scenario designer gives you. This can be frustrating if you make a mistake and lose a crucial unit.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 6
RE: Some Questions In Relation To advanced Tactics - 1/1/2008 12:13:55 AM   
JAMiAM

As one of the co-developers of TOAW III, I can honestly say that you can't go wrong ordering them both. I've had lots of fun playing AT - both solo, as well as in PBEM games. Vic and company have done a superlative job of supporting the title, and it is really quite a flexible game. TOAW III plays differently than AT, and has a different "flavor". Each of them are a full, tasty meal.

If you buy both now, you will save on the shipping, as well as being able to pick up TOAW III on one of its rare sales. This would be the economically sound thing to do, as paying the extra instance of shipping, plus the higher non-sale price, will set you back about $15-20 USD. Order both, and with the money you save, buy a pizza. That would make it THREE full meals...

< Message edited by JAMiAM -- 1/1/2008 12:16:32 AM >

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 7
RE: Some Questions In Relation To advanced Tactics - 1/1/2008 4:47:02 PM   
Awac835

I have tried both but admit i simply havent been able to get into TOAW the same way i have AT. Ill agree they both are good games so it comes down to what you prefere. If you get only one i would have to recomend AT simply becouse i think its almost a 100% sure hit and easier to get into. And dont let its simple looks put you off, its quite complex when you get into the details.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 8
RE: Some Questions In Relation To advanced Tactics - 1/1/2008 6:15:14 PM   
IRONCROM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Awac835

I have tried both but admit i simply havent been able to get into TOAW the same way i have AT. Ill agree they both are good games so it comes down to what you prefere. If you get only one i would have to recomend AT simply becouse i think its almost a 100% sure hit and easier to get into. And dont let its simple looks put you off, its quite complex when you get into the details.

I'll agree with this statment.
Although I have logged in a whole lot of hours playing TOAW. I never really got into it as much as I have AT.
For me AT rates higher on fun factor.

(in reply to Awac835)
Post #: 9
RE: Some Questions In Relation To advanced Tactics - 1/1/2008 6:57:52 PM   
Kipper

I have been playing TOAW since about 1998 I think - wow 10 years - but I play AT exclusively now.  TOAW scenarios I find turn into WWI style slugging matches whatever the era, whereas AT rewards more maneuvre, and the AI does it too.  The North Africa scenario is just excellent in this, for example.  I think my TOAW days are over at last.

(in reply to IRONCROM)
Post #: 10
RE: Some Questions In Relation To advanced Tactics - 1/2/2008 11:38:10 AM   
gnrss

Vic will release a new installment.it's a good news but i wish you should not give up supperting AT:WW2.i hope you go on releasing uptades to add more features to this game.it's a excellent game and can be made more better.

< Message edited by gnrss -- 1/2/2008 11:41:39 AM >

(in reply to Kipper)
Post #: 11
RE: Some Questions In Relation To advanced Tactics - 1/2/2008 11:55:00 AM   
Vic

Hi gnrss,

My plan is that any future module will be able to load any scenarios from AT:WW2 and thus be fully backwards compatible.

kind regards,
Vic

(in reply to gnrss)
Post #: 12
RE: Some Questions In Relation To advanced Tactics - 1/2/2008 12:37:19 PM   
gnrss

oh.Vic.it's stirring to hear that AT:WW2 will be fully compatible with future installment.i think this mode:one game engine and many excellent modules will be perfect.

< Message edited by gnrss -- 1/2/2008 12:38:56 PM >

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Some Questions In Relation To advanced Tactics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI