Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

worst movies ever!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> worst movies ever! Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 5:01:55 AM   
morvwilson

In another thread it was suggested that "Battle of the Bulge" was the worst movie ever.
After thinking about this for a while, I think I have to disagree.
What about "Wind Talkers"?
Or some of those Italian "Hercules" movies?
There has to be some other movies that are worse than those I have mentioned.

http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
Post #: 1
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 5:48:40 AM   
Sarge

Patton,! worse piece of ……………..Jk

Are we talking Holly weird ? If so I would say Windtalkers ranks right up there with anything someone puts out there .

Totally unrealistic, the only sober Marine was the Indian

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 2
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 6:12:41 AM   
trojan58

Pearl Harbour......utter Rubbish

There are two types of ships in the world

Submarines and Targets

D.B.F

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 3
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 6:32:35 AM   
jwilkerson

Pearl Harbor certainly tops my list ... Alexander is a close second ...

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to trojan58)
Post #: 4
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 7:00:29 AM   
lancerunolfsson

Can anybody actually say what the worst movie ever, was? There are a lot of movies I turn off within 10 minutes of starting them. How could I possibly know which of these is the worst of those?

FWIW
Just watching the trailers convinced me to not even rent Alexander and Pearl Harbor

If you are near Medford Oregon Check out,

http://lancerunolfsson.googlepages.com/home
(Also some free Downloadable Miniature Rules and a Free Downloadable 7YW Board Game)

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 5
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 7:36:04 AM   
Veldor

Well according to rotten tomatoes the worst reviewed movie of all time by far is "Ballistic: Ecks Vs. Sever" the 2002 action flick starring Antonia Banderas and Lucy Liu.

It claims that status because 102 professional critics all gave it a thumbs down... Not a single critic gave it a positive review.

This has never been achieved before or since for anywhere even remotely near 100+ reviewers.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ballistic_ecks_vs_sever/

Plenty of people liked Pearl Harbor. In fact loads of people did. Just because it had major historical innacuracies and an ill-conceived love triangle doesn't mean the average non-historically-obsessed movie goeor won't love it. At the very least its visual eye candy lifts it above being the worst movie of all time. Not even remotely saying its great but nowhere near the worst.

(in reply to lancerunolfsson)
Post #: 6
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 8:28:52 AM   
Doggie

Independence Day was the stupidist thing I have ever seen.

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 7
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 8:51:47 AM   
wworld7

Well youhave to watch the entire movie to make a fair judgement.

"Deep Star Six" is my choice.

Horrible movie.

Flipper

Post #: 8
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 9:22:25 AM   
morvwilson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie

Independence Day was the stupidist thing I have ever seen.

Now, doggie
Are you going to try to tell me that "Independence Day" was worse than "Pearl Harbor" or "Wind Talkers"?

At least there was a drunk to keep things some what entertaining in ID!

At this point what I am having a hard time with is which movie was worse, "Pearl Harbor" or "Wind Talkers".

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 9
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 10:11:02 AM   
JudgeDredd

I think Wind Talkers was utter tripe.

Besides, Battle of the Bulge was crap "with hindsight"...meaning when I first watched it I loved it...but being a little wiser, more knowledgable about the battle being portrayed as well as tactics makes me see it in a different light.

I don't think producers and directors have an excuse nowadays.

I also hated Pearl Harbor...but that's because I went to see it looking for a new Tora!Tora!Tora! with all the glory that CGI could offer to a remake of that classic...I was sorely disappointed. I've heard people say once they've watched it a second time, they liked it...I'd rather spoon my eyes out.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 10
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 1:35:08 PM   
leastonh1

Off the top of my head:
Pulp Fiction
- OMFG!! What a pile of dog doo doo that was. Awful film.
Troy - I couldn't get past halfway with this one. Terrible acting and the script was dire.

JD - I didn't notice your "list" until now!!!

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 11
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 1:49:49 PM   
JudgeDredd

Jim

It was a childish response to another child, but I kind of like it now. I can't see it growing much...I've been on here for 4 or more years and I've only met one.

And I LOVED Pulp Fiction. It was a legend of a film

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 12
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 2:48:29 PM   
BlackSunshine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim_H

Pulp Fiction - OMFG!! What a pile of dog doo doo that was. Awful film.

I have to respectfully disagree here. This is one of my all time favorites. Great writing, and excellent soundtrack, numerous plot twists AND throw in Samuel L. Jackson as a "bad mo****f****r" and youve got a classic.

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 13
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 2:51:52 PM   
leastonh1

Yeah, I've seen that other list and had a good laugh at it. I must confess to agreeing with one of his though. It's someone who seems to be very good at arguing for the sake of it, ignoring responses and misquoting to score points. I'm not the only one who's had a run in with them either, so at least it's not just me

Everyone I know loved Pulp Fiction. And that's why I still wonder what I missed about the film. Oh well. I absolutely loved Lady in the Water by M. Night Shyamalan, yet it got slated in reviews and most of my friends hated it. Go figure!

Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 14
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 3:14:30 PM   
Kuokkanen

So far, what I remember seen, Starcrash is worst. I didn't watch it to end though, becouse at the time I had better things to do.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 15
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 4:24:28 PM   
Reiryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim_H

Yeah, I've seen that other list and had a good laugh at it. I must confess to agreeing with one of his though. It's someone who seems to be very good at arguing for the sake of it, ignoring responses and misquoting to score points. I'm not the only one who's had a run in with them either, so at least it's not just me

I'd guess that's number 4 on the list, but I could be wrong...

quote:

Everyone I know loved Pulp Fiction. And that's why I still wonder what I missed about the film. Oh well. I absolutely loved Lady in the Water by M. Night Shyamalan, yet it got slated in reviews and most of my friends hated it. Go figure!

I liked pulp fiction because it was different yet still accessible. Sometimes movies are so weird that I just lose interest.

I'd put wind talkers up there as one of the worst... what made it so bad for me was that it was trying to be a real war movie and that's what made it so much more pathetic.

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 16
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 4:42:15 PM   
BlackSunshine

I never really liked Good Morning Vietnam for some reason.  Also, add Master and Commander: Far side of the world into this as well.

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 17
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 5:24:45 PM   
freeboy

omg, Master and Commander may be the BEST movie in its genre, Why? The relationships between the officers, the junior officers men of the gun crews, and the MAster and sergion are developed in greeat detail, with a great score and riviting drama.. just to show U to each his own lol!!!

I especially like how real the scenes are as my house shakes under the subwoofers roar of cannon!

(in reply to BlackSunshine)
Post #: 18
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 6:53:32 PM   
leastonh1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reiryc
I'd guess that's number 4 on the list, but I could be wrong...

You could also be right!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reiryc
I liked pulp fiction because it was different yet still accessible. Sometimes movies are so weird that I just lose interest.

I think it was too weird. I just didn't get the film at all and it never clicked with me.

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 19
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/14/2008 9:08:13 PM   
Yogi the Great

Quite a few years ago "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" was voted worst movie of all time.  Then again it is one of those movies that is so bad, it can be fun to watch.

< Message edited by Yogi the Great -- 1/14/2008 9:10:55 PM >

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 20
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/15/2008 12:17:33 AM   
ilovestrategy

I always thought the worst movie ever made was an old 50's movie. It was a sci fi flick. I cannot right now remember the whole title, it had something to do with "Planet 9". I'm gonna have to google and see if I can come up with the whole title.
I read that the actor died half way through the movie and it had cardboard sets.
You guys are pretty smart, one of you has got to know what I'm talking about!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 21
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/15/2008 12:36:31 AM   
lancerunolfsson

Two Potential nominees I tried watching last night

Anzio, in spite of having Peter Falk and Arthur Kennedy, the song on the credit roll was so bad I had to fast forward. I only made it through about 2 minutes of dialogue before ejecting it and putting on

THE BIG RED 1, I actually have watched this movie before many years ago when I first got a VHS mqachine. This time I only made it to the part where they take Tunis.

Finally Put in SALVADOR, not as good as I remember it. But it has given me the idea that maybe I will put the Letters TV in masking tape on my windshield. My truck already looks like one of the Technicals from BLACK HAWK DOWN except I ain't get a .50 or a recoilless rifle on the back. So the masking tape would be cheaper. Then I could start yelling "Jounalista!!!" and waving a fake press card whenever I get pulled over by the cops. It seemed to work for James Woods.

If you are near Medford Oregon Check out,

http://lancerunolfsson.googlepages.com/home
(Also some free Downloadable Miniature Rules and a Free Downloadable 7YW Board Game)

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 22
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/15/2008 12:41:45 AM   
Doggie

quote:

You guys are pretty smart, one of you has got to know what I'm talking about!

That would be Plan 9 from Outer Space by the glorious Ed Wood.  Bela Lugosi's last screen appearance.

There's also a movie about Ed Wood, titled Ed Wood

Post #: 23
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/15/2008 12:42:55 AM   
freeboy

ok, are we talking worst or stupid worst? like a list worst?
how about barberella? omfw that is hands down funny bad terrible

< Message edited by freeboy -- 1/15/2008 12:49:21 AM >

Post #: 24
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/15/2008 12:50:17 AM   
MrBoats

For ilovestrategy:

You may be thinking of "Plan 9 From Outer Space" by Ed Wood. Wood's films are in a class by themselves. They're actually a lot of fun to watch, but for all the wrong reasons. Wood's earnestness is what makes them so good while being so bad. "Glen or Glenda" is my favorite.

As for war films, there are so many to choose from. "Catch 22" was awful. To believe Hollywood of the 70's (even somewhat today) every officer was a buffoon and every GI a crook. Them there was the film from '42, I think, about the heroic Soviets defending their farms against the Nazis -- I can't remember the title but it had Walter Huston and Dana Andrews in it. Pure pro-Stalin propoganda. I don't mean to insult the valiant soldiers of the Red Army, but the movie was crap. And I still have a problem with Donald Sutherland's hippie character in "Kelly's Heroes" but I know I'm gonna get bombarded for saying it. Fire away!

Post #: 25
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/15/2008 12:56:19 AM   
Doggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvwilson

Now, doggie
Are you going to try to tell me that "Independence Day" was worse than "Pearl Harbor" or "Wind Talkers"?

Well, yeah.

There was Jeff Goldblum hacking into the alien's intergalactic super computer with an Apple IIc and an acoustic coupler. They jump into a fifty year old model T version of a flying saucer and none of the aliens notice. You got pilots whinging about how they can't "get a tone" on a target the size of Greenland. And they're firing sidewinders with a five pound warheard.

It did have it moments, like all the moonbats gathering to send love vibes on top of a skyscraper and getting vaporized for their trouble.

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 26
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/15/2008 1:26:50 AM   
morvwilson

To Doggie,
Ok, good points there. I did not like that movie much either.

To Mr Boats,
I think I remember the movie you are talking about from 1942. But didn't it have a very young Gregory Peck? (I felt the bile rise quite a few times during that flick!)

Maybe I made a mistake. Asking for the worst movie ever may have been a little too broad. Especially considering we are talking about hollywood.
The irritating part is hollywood can turn out good movies when they want to. IE Band of Brothers, We Were Soldiers.
Anyway, nominees for worst war movies would be:
Wind Talkers
Pearl Harbor
Thin Red Line(new entry I just remembered here)
Nominees for Sci Fi would be:
Plan 9
Barbarella
Independence day

What are we missing?
Personally I can forgive bad effects if the story line is good. Dr Who for example had good story lines but when you only have $40 for your budget...

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 27
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/15/2008 1:37:54 AM   
Gil R.

I've never seen this movie, but it might count. A few months ago, Ravinhood's avatar got me to do some web-reading on Veronica Lake, and I found that her final movie was called "Flesh Feast" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065727/). Here's a website with a summary and screenshots: http://www.bleedingskull.com/dvd/fleshfeast.html. And here's Wikipedia's summary: "Flesh Feast (released in 1970, though shot in 1967) is an American horror film that features Veronica Lake in her final screen performance. Lake plays Dr. Elaine Frederick, a mad scientist working on developing maggots that prefer human flesh, while her services are used to make a clone of Adolf Hitler. She cooperates with the plan to resurrect Hitler as a way of exacting revenge for the death of her parents, political prisoners executed in a concentration camp. While convincing everyone the flesh-eating maggots are for regeneration research, she simply wants to throw them in the resurrected Hitler's face, which she does."

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 28
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/15/2008 1:40:27 AM   
mdiehl

ID was better than Pearl Harbor. Yeah, the whole "plausibility" thing of Goldblum's Mac hacking the mothership was dubious, but if you got as far as "spacecraft with energy shields that deflect ballistic objects" then you already abandoned plausbility.

Pearl Harbor is certainly among the worst movies ever made. I remember sitting in the theater when one of the two flyboys faced the camera (the audience) and pedantically explained that the Zero is faster than the P-40 but the P-40 is more maneuverable. If one's gonna be pedantic, it helps to not be completely wrong on both counts.

Gods and Generals may be the worst though. Where NewLine gave us tens of thousands of goblins in Moria a year before G n G came out, Turner Films gave us an Oil on Canvas background of Fredericksburg, cannons that were obviously wooden props, a laughable scene where Stonewall Jackson has a politically correct discourse with a slave, and almost enough extras to fill a ballroom for scenes that allegedly depicted 170,000 guys fighting.

U-571 was also a stinker. A bunch of US army commandoes commandeer and then crew (include operating it in combat) a stolen Uboat.

With respect, Plan 9 from Outer Space wasn't a "Hollywood" movie. It was an Ed Wood movie. Ed Wood was to Hollywood as an eight year old building his first plastic model is to Lockheed.

< Message edited by mdiehl -- 1/15/2008 1:41:21 AM >

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 29
RE: worst movies ever! - 1/15/2008 1:42:22 AM   
mdiehl

And, of course, one must never forget Zardoz. I can't believe Sean Connery was up for that stinker.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> worst movies ever! Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI