Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Favorite Scene

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Favorite Scene Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Favorite Scene - 1/30/2008 1:38:49 PM   
Nemesis

quote:

ORIGINAL: mjk428

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemesis

Besides Christianity, that is? Go read the Bible some day.

You're the one that needs to read it and don't stop at the Old Testament. Christianity springs from the New Testament. Also note that just because something is chronicled in the OT, that doesn't mean Christians actively encourage the activity today.

Um, last time I checked, the Christian holy book is called "The Bible". That book consists of two parts: Old Testament and New Testament. You can't go around and tell people that "Go read The Bible, but ignore the first half of it". Why should we do that? Because it's teachings are a bit too "inconvenient"?

Like it or not, the Old Testament is part of the Christian holy scripture. If you insist that people should ignore it, then you are not teaching Christianity.

And even if we just stuck to NT, we would still have passages that (among other things) support slavery. Should we ignore those as well? Hell, why not re-write the entire Bible while we are at it? Drop out all the "inconvenient" parts out, so it will sound a bit nicer?

quote:

Then don't spout ignorant BS.

It's not "ignorant". It's just inconvenient for you. Christianity is knee-deep in blood.

oderint dum metuant

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 91
RE: Favorite Scene - 1/30/2008 6:24:17 PM   
morvwilson

Nemesis,
I am not sure what you are refering to by christianity is knee-deep in blood.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but could you be referring to maybe the 30 year war? or maybe the witch burnings that were popular in europe at one time? or maybe the crusades?
If it was one of the above things then I think you may have missed some context. In the above situations real estate was the issue. Religion was used as a motivator by those in power. Also it should be noted that these events are at a minimum 400+ years old. Can you imagine the Pope, for instance, giving a speach in which he calls for the death of non believers? Don't think that is likely to happen today.
On the islamic side, those type of speaches are happening. Religion (islam) is being used as a motivator to gain control of real estate. Something we in the west gave up over 400 years ago.

http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!

(in reply to Nemesis)
Post #: 92
RE: Favorite Scene - 1/30/2008 7:56:09 PM   
mjk428

quote:

Um, last time I checked, the Christian holy book is called "The Bible". That book consists of two parts: Old Testament and New Testament. You can't go around and tell people that "Go read The Bible, but ignore the first half of it". Why should we do that? Because it's teachings are a bit too "inconvenient"?

Like it or not, the Old Testament is part of the Christian holy scripture. If you insist that people should ignore it, then you are not teaching Christianity.

And even if we just stuck to NT, we would still have passages that (among other things) support slavery. Should we ignore those as well? Hell, why not re-write the entire Bible while we are at it? Drop out all the "inconvenient" parts out, so it will sound a bit nicer?

I didn't say ignore it, I said don't stop there. Christians are followers of Christ's teachings. Christ's teachings are found in the New Testament. EVERYTHING in the OT is trumped by the NT. It's not a matter of convenience, it's a matter of understanding Christianity. Something you clearly do not.

quote:

It's not "ignorant". It's just inconvenient for you. Christianity is knee-deep in blood.

If Christianity is such a bloodthirsty religion, and Christians no different than modern Islamists, where are the videos of Christians hacking off heads to the shouts of "Praise Jesus"?

(in reply to Nemesis)
Post #: 93
RE: Favorite Scene - 1/31/2008 4:19:42 AM   
Doggie

quote:

I for one have zero desire to fight with someone on a web-forum. But I still feel that my question was valid. I just hope that Doggie will keep the discussion civil, as opposed to making claims that are 100% false ....

, betrays his bias and prejudice on this matter. Hell, it would be similar if I said something like "Look at those nice Christians who killed all those people in My Lai" or ""look at all those Christians killing Tutsis in Rwanda".....

We don't go out of our way to mention that Americans in Vietnam were mostly Christians.

How "civil" of you. It's always a pleasure to spar with a guy that always takes the high road, and never would never infer that I'm a liar, a racist, or a citizen of a country full of murdering christian bigots who slaughter poor third world citizens all the time just because we're evil.

I assure you I shall do my best to adhere to the high moral standards you have set.

(in reply to Nemesis)
Post #: 94
RE: Favorite Scene - 1/31/2008 5:10:58 AM   
Doggie

quote:

Besides Christianity, that is? Go read the Bible some day.

I didn't notice anything in the Ten Commandments about how rape, amputations, stonings, mass murders, and genocide are ordained by God and the right of every true Christian. I would suggest you go read the Koran and listen to modern day Islamic clerics.

quote:

Sure we appreciate it. But that does not mean that we should be _eternally_ grateful for it, nor does it mean that we should do whatever US asks us to do. Are you still grateful for the help French gave to USA during your fight for independence? If you are, how do you show it?

In exchange for one French Marquis and a green statue, we gave back one slightly scorched French nation, rescued twice from foreign invaders and completely rebuilt at the cost of a couple hundred thousand American lives and billions of American dollars. I'd say the French got the better part of the bargain. And perhaps you could list the demands Americans have made on europe since? Perhaps some massive foreign aid program or some sort of servitude the rest of us are unaware of? Just exactly what have the evil Imperists asked of you?

quote:

By the Somali-standpoint, UN was interfering in their business.

And their "business" was stealing UN food supplies intended to feed their own people, along with murdering humanitarian aid workers.

quote:

And why do I get the feeling that if UN became more proactive and "aggressive" in dealing with violence all over the world, you would start whining how UN is creating a military of their own, and how we are sliding towards NWO?

Actually, we would welcome some "proactiveness" on the part of the UN. Since it's inception, the United States and Great Britain have dealt with most of the violence all over the world while sniveling UN diplomats take credit for it. The latest example was in Indonesia, when "UN helicopters" from the United States Navy conducted relief operations after that region was devsasted by a Tsunami.

quote:

But the point stands: they were not killed (or murdered, take your pick) because of their religion.

Yes, the point does stand. Only in places like Somalia, the Sudan, and "Palestine" are humanitarian aid workers routinely kidnapped and murdered by the very people they are trying to help.

quote:

What I was _trying_ to say was that the religion of the somali-fighters was completely off-topic.

No, your objection to the mention of the fact that the somali fighters who murder people who are trying to feed them are Muslim was completely off topic.

quote:

What does the religious beliefs of the participant of the US force have to do with anything that happened in Normandy? It doesn't.

Neither side at Normandy believed it was their God given right to murder people who were trying to save them from starving to death.

quote:

Could you please explain this double-standard to me? Why is it OK to drag religion in to the discussion when the perpetrators happen to be muslim, yet we do not drag the religion in to the discussion when the perpetrators are Christian?

So why are you trying to drag religion into this? There is no double standard, except on your part. You are trying, and failing, to compare Islamic jihadists to modern day Christians. The Catholic church does not exort it's members to go forth and slaughter un believers. There has not been a single fatwah issued by any Christian church commanding the faithfull to behead those who have insulted the Madonna. In fact, you can insult Christain all you want and not worry about somebody blowing you to pieces or sawing your head off. The same cannot be said of Dutch film makers, Danish cartoonists, or English elementary school teachers armed with teddy bears of blasphemy.

quote:

The Bible, specifically the Old Testament, is a compilation of history. It does not 'teach" followers to kill the first born of Egypt, part the Red Sea, or build an ark. It simply puts ancient history into verses. You can believe or not; it's your choice. To deny the Koran is not a choice. Offending Islam is punishable by death.

What the Bible teaches are things like Thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal and thou shat not covet thy neighbors wife.

The Koran teaches that it perfectly acceptable to kill and steal in the name of Islam, and the wives and children of the people you murder become your property to do with as you wish. That is why the religion of the people of Somalia is relevent. No other religion teaches their followers that murder, theft, and rape are acceptable practices.

< Message edited by Doggie -- 1/31/2008 5:13:55 AM >

(in reply to Nemesis)
Post #: 95
RE: Favorite Scene - 1/31/2008 8:05:38 AM   
mjk428

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie

The Bible, specifically the Old Testament, is a compilation of history. It does not 'teach" followers to kill the first born of Egypt, part the Red Sea, or build an ark.

quote:

Bill Cosby

God: (standing on a chair behind Noah, he rings a bell once) NOAH.
Noah: (Looks up) Is someone calling me? (Shrugs and goes back to his work)
God: (Ding) NOAH!!
Noah: Who is that?
God: It's the Lord, Noah.
Noah: Right ... Where are ya? What do ya want? I've been good.
God: I want you to build an ark.
Noah: Right ... What's an ark?
God: Get some wood and build it 300 cubits by 80 cubits by 40 cubits.
Noah: Right ... What's a cubit?
God: Well never mind. Don't worry about that right now. After you build the
ark, I want you to go out into the world and collect all the animals of the
world, two by two, male and female, and put them into the ark.
Noah: Right ... Who is this really? What's going on? How come you want me to
do all these weird things?
God: I'm going to destroy the world.
Noah: Right ... Am I on Candid Camera? How are you gonna do it?
God: I'm going to make it rain for a thousand days and drown them right out.
Noah: Right ... Listen, do this and you'll save water. Let it rain for forty
days and forty nights and wait for the sewers to back up.
God: Right...

http://www.skatedc.org/pipermail/skatedc/2003-May/005683.html

(back on topic)

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 96
RE: Favorite Scene - 1/31/2008 9:08:08 AM   
ilovestrategy

I had a fun thread about favorite movie scenes and a couple of people hijacked it and ruined it for all the others. Good going guys 

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 97
RE: Favorite Scene - 1/31/2008 11:03:29 AM   
JudgeDredd

I'm afraid therein lies the dangers of the general discussion forum.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 98
RE: Favorite Scene - 1/31/2008 5:34:49 PM   
ezzler

Come on .. lets go the stoning

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 99
RE: Favorite Scene - 1/31/2008 6:00:36 PM   
fvianello

It's already in the thread, but it deserves an extra vote: Dr. Strangelove final speech in the war room.

I've seen the movie at least 20 times, but still I can't stop laughing when it comes to "MEIN FUEHER! I can walk!"

< Message edited by HanBarca -- 1/31/2008 6:01:04 PM >

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 100
RE: Favorite Scene - 1/31/2008 6:45:03 PM   
sprior

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

Come on .. lets go the stoning

Are there any women here?

Attachment (1)

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 101
RE: Favorite Scene - 2/1/2008 2:16:29 AM   
Gem35

Another favorite scene is in the Di Vinci Code where it is revealed that the holy grail is really Mary Magdalene.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 102
RE: Favorite Scene - 2/1/2008 4:14:57 AM   
Doggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

Another favorite scene is in the Di Vinci Code where it is revealed that the holy grail is really Mary Magdalene.

That makes perfect sense, as what better place to find the Holy Precupice.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 103
RE: Favorite Scene - 2/1/2008 4:42:15 AM   
sprior

Except it was old news as anyone who had read that masterpiece of leger de main. "The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail" in 1982. Children, can you spell, "Rip off"?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 104
RE: Favorite Scene - 2/1/2008 4:54:33 AM   
Doggie

All them redcoats getting their due in The Patriot.  I heard that was a big hit in the UK.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 105
RE: Favorite Scene - 2/1/2008 4:56:35 AM   
sprior

I've still to see a movie about 1812 and the burning of Washington DC but what the heck.Two world wars and a Cold war since then...

quote:

All them redcoats getting their due in The Patriot.  I heard that was a big hit in the UK.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 106
RE: Favorite Scene - 2/1/2008 8:44:43 AM   
ilovestrategy

I like the Raiders of the Lost Ark when Harrison Ford pulled out his pistol and shot that guy with the big sword 

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 107
RE: Favorite Scene - 2/1/2008 8:45:34 AM   
ilovestrategy

OH! And also I loved the "Suicide is Painless" scene in the movie MASH!

Post #: 108
RE: Favorite Scene - 2/1/2008 9:44:37 AM   
String

quote:

All them redcoats getting their due in The Patriot. I heard that was a big hit in the UK.

Those US. Marines shooting innocent japanese soldiers in Letters from Iwo Jima. I heard that was a big hit with Doggie.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 109
RE: Favorite Scene - 2/1/2008 9:46:45 AM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

I like the Raiders of the Lost Ark when Harrison Ford pulled out his pistol and shot that guy with the big sword

Apparently it's again one of those scenes that never was planned and almost didn't happen. The fight was supposed to be longer and more elaborate, but Ford wasn't feeling very well the day they shot the scene and he wanted to get it over and done with fast, so he asked the director if he could improvise and...

Post #: 110
RE: Favorite Scene - 2/1/2008 1:38:32 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

I've still to see a movie about 1812 and the burning of Washington DC but what the heck.Two world wars and a Cold war since then...

quote:

Can't wait to see the scene that follows that burning where a bunch of rag tag militia chase the British Army professionals back into the sea!

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 111
RE: Favorite Scene - 2/2/2008 4:51:38 AM   
Doggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

Those US. Marines shooting innocent japanese soldiers in Letters from Iwo Jima. I heard that was a big hit with Doggie.

Oh, yeah? Well, U-571 was a masterpiece. A completely accurate historical account of how U.S. sailors captured a U boat and the enigma machine and saved western civilization all by themselves.

And then there was Reptilicus. A couple of Americans saved Denmark from a prehistoric monster. I've been waiting thirty years for the sequel.

(in reply to String)
Post #: 112
RE: Favorite Scene - 2/2/2008 5:40:00 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

quote:

By the Somali-standpoint, UN was interfering in their business.

And their "business" was stealing UN food supplies intended to feed their own people, along with murdering humanitarian aid workers.

Actually wasn't their business really killing themselves? Or re-stated, killing their "enemies"? (same difference) The goodie two shoes food bringers were just a distraction .. though the food was useful.

I must admit - this thread is disgusting - I'm surprised Matrix allows such thrashing of religion. If this will be a religion (or Anti-Religion) debate forum ... then perhaps the irrelevant distraction of computer games should be removed from the other forums. Then we could get down to business and debate religion and related concepts.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 113
RE: Favorite Scene - 2/2/2008 5:50:38 AM   
Erik Rutins

Good grief, why is it everytime I don't read a thread it descends into politics and/or religion?

Why can't you people discuss this stuff on other forums, where it's allowed?

Locked.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 114
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Favorite Scene Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI