Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 12:56:46 AM   
Monadman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thresh

I am getting a graphic error. Report it here or another thread?

Todd

Todd,

Start a new thread in Tech Support for graphic errors. Thanks

Richard

(in reply to Thresh)
Post #: 31
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 1:30:24 AM   
zenmaster

After Starting a new Game as the Turks, I was able to create the Ottoman Empire.

The Ottoman units properly report 2inf Moral and 3cav moral, but once I enter combat, the values of 1inf and 2cav are used.
Attached are may save game files.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 32
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 2:08:23 AM   
Grollub

Playing as France in a pure 1.01 game, Austria surrendered unconditionally to me in July. Now, in August, I get the message that Austria has surrendered unconditionally again, and looking in the report window I see that the surrender terms have been implemented a second time. The PP gain is there as well.

Attaching save file from both the reinforcement phase where I got the message as well as the preceding diplomacy phase.

Attachment (1)

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to zenmaster)
Post #: 33
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 3:03:21 AM   
zaquex

quote:

"4.6.3.5 FLEET SETUP: If the minor country has a fleet, it is set up in any port in that minor country or- in any sea area adjacent to such a port, at its current strength."

ok, pretty clear and from what we now been told, is to be applied, right. Now to the problem.

The game allows you to put the minors fleet in a sea area adjacent to a controlled port in the major power or any controlled minor power and is in all regards following 5.2. The problem is that the game will not allow you to add factors to any fleet at sea. The game also allows you to place the fleet in any blockade box of a power the controlling major power or the owning minor power is at war with. In effect the game forces you to either place the fleet in a controlled port or illegally in a blockade box of a power you or the fleets controlling minor is currently warring.

Example: I play Turkey, Russia DOW's Sweden and Turkey get unsupported control of Sweden. When I set up Sweden I can place the fleet in any of the minors ports like Stockholm or Åbo. I can place it in any sea area adjacent to such city but cant add any factors. I can place the fleet in any sea area adjacent to Turkey or its controlled minors (like Palestine) and also in ports in either of these. I cannot put the fleet in sea areas non-adjacent to a friendly port (including "Area701" which contains St Petersburg). I can however place it in a Russian or Spanish (because Turkey is at war with Spain) blockade box including St Petersburg and add the relevant ship factors.

I can see there is several issues here:

The current implementation does not practically allow all legal placement according to 4.6.3.5 or 5.2 due to not allowing you to add ships to a fleet at sea.
It allows you to place the fleet counters in accordance to 5.2 of the EiANW manual in situations that is not allowed per 4.6.3.5 which, according to Monadman, is the rule that should apply. For example in ports or in sea areas adjacent to ports (still cant add the ships in this case) of the controlling major power or its controlled minors.

It allows you to place fleets and add ships in the blockade box of countries at war with the minor or major controlling the minor in conflict with both 5.6 (edit: sorry typo should be 5.2), 4.6.3.5 and the stated intention of the developers, apparently following the adapted rule of EiA 14.1.4.2 which I sadly cant find at this time.

One of the consequenses of this is that unless the controlling player moves before the attacking player there is no practical way to use the fleets of a controlled minor as intended, giving what appears to be an unfair advantage to players moving early in the naval phase, unless the forces are placed illegally. In practical terms you can not avoid that the minors fleet is blockaded unless the controller move before the attacker or place the fleet illegally in a blockade box.

Why is this happening?

The implementation is following 5.2 when it comes to where your allowed to place your fleet counter, something i would say is very reasonable, even though it gives alot more freedom than 4.6.3.5. From a playability perspective there is no real problem with using any of these. The problem is that the second part of EiA 4.6.3.5, "at its current strength", is implemented to the letter. This works well in EiA, no minor has more than one fleet and the factors of the minor is "stored" in the "Fleet Counter" much like an off board insurrection or feudal corp. In EiANW the factors are separate from the fleet and "at current strenght" is 0. The code is working as per the last part of 4.6.3.5 which probably was intended so in that sense there is no bug but the result is not as expected or wanted since EiA and EiANW don´t treat "Fleet Counters" the same way.

That you are allowed to put the minor in the blockade box seems to be a result of a change allowing you to set-up in the blockade box of powers you are at war with and is probably caused by using the same code to place activated minors as is used at setup.

Combined these two issues seem to create a very messy result that is caused by the use of a combination of several different rule sets and interpretations. I don't know if this will help solve these problems but I hope it might help Marshall to Identify where to start looking.

Regards

zaq

< Message edited by zaquex -- 1/18/2008 12:54:13 AM >

I assume this post have relevance to this thread

(in reply to Naxias)
Post #: 34
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 3:11:45 AM   
Monadman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

Playing as France in a pure 1.01 game, Austria surrendered unconditionally to me in July. Now, in August, I get the message that Austria has surrendered unconditionally again, and looking in the report window I see that the surrender terms have been implemented a second time. The PP gain is there as well.

Attaching save file from both the reinforcement phase where I got the message as well as the preceding diplomacy phase.

Grollub,

When I run the file for your diplomacy phase file I cannot duplicate what was reported in the reinforcement file that you sent. The AI is being deviously selective about causing a problem but there is a problem. Thanks for both files.

Richard

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 35
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 3:17:24 AM   
Monadman

Zaq,

Yes, and I already wrote the section changes for the in-game manual and addendum and will posting the program’s illegal minor country setup to the bug list soon. Thanks for the reminder though.

Richard

CHANGE
Section: 5.2 Placing Forces On Map
Change the section to read:

All of a major power’s army forces (including those of controlled minor free states) may be placed as desired in any land areas within the borders of their home nation and/or controlled minor countries. Fleets may start in, or in a sea area adjacent to, any port in the home nation and/or controlled minor countries, or may start on the blockade of any port(s) of another major power with which it is at war. Note: To determine the current major power’s available factors during setup, click any land area on the map and view the Status Panel.

CHANGE
Section: 7.3 Setting Up Minor Country Forces
Change the first bullet to read:

The player may, at his/her discretion, set up some, all, or none of the corps and garrison forces that are available, in any land areas within the borders of the controlled minor country. Fleets may start in, or in a sea area adjacent to, any port in the controlled minor country.

< Message edited by Monadman -- 1/18/2008 3:21:58 AM >

(in reply to zaquex)
Post #: 36
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 3:26:57 AM   
zaquex

quote:

Zaq,

Yes, and I already wrote the section changes for the in-game manual and addendum and will posting the program’s illegal minor country setup to the bugs list soon. Thanks for the reminder though.

Richard

CHANGE

All of a major power’s army forces (including those of controlled minor free states) may be placed as desired in any land areas within the borders of their home nation and/or controlled minor countries. Fleets may start in, or in a sea area adjacent to, any port in the home nation and/or controlled minor countries, or may start on the blockade of any port(s) of another major power with which it is at war. Note: To determine the current major power’s available factors during setup, click any land area on the map and view the Status Panel.

CHANGE

The player may, at his/her discretion, set up some, all, or none of the corps and garrison forces that are available, in any land areas within the borders of the controlled minor country.

Sorry to continue to bug you, just want to make sure you have also identified the more serious error, that the game in practical terms doesnt allow a valid placement of a fleet at sea.

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 37
Blockade Bug Not Fixed in 1.01 patch - 1/18/2008 3:30:24 AM   
ecn1

I thought this was fixed in the new patch, but I guess not.

Spain declares war on Portugual
Portugal is controlled by GB, and thus at war with France
Portugal blockades spain
Spain and France ARE NOT allies
France decides to attack portuguese fleets blockading spain
France wins battle against portuguese fleet in spanish blockade box
France ships all go away....fleet counters show up in reinforcements..we dont know about ships?

I thought I saw this reported earlier was to be fixed in patch????

thanks

erik

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 38
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 3:35:39 AM   
Monadman

quote:

ORIGINAL: zaquex

quote:

Zaq,

Yes, and I already wrote the section changes for the in-game manual and addendum and will posting the program’s illegal minor country setup to the bugs list soon. Thanks for the reminder though.

Richard

CHANGE

CHANGE

The player may, at his/her discretion, set up some, all, or none of the corps and garrison forces that are available, in any land areas within the borders of the controlled minor country.

Sorry to continue to bug you, just want to make sure you have also identified the more serious error, that the game in practical terms doesnt allow a valid placement of a fleet at sea.

I'll check it out. Thanks

(in reply to zaquex)
Post #: 39
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 3:52:51 AM   
Monadman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monadman

quote:

ORIGINAL: zaquex

quote:

Zaq,

Richard

CHANGE

CHANGE

I'll check it out. Thanks

Zaq,

Can you get a file for what you are seeing because it might be minor country specific. Just ran a quick test with Sweden (Russian sponsored) v Britain and was able to place the fleets in a sea area adjacent to any port in Sweden (except for the ice zone).

Richard

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 40
RE: Blockade Bug Not Fixed in 1.01 patch - 1/18/2008 4:18:14 AM   
Monadman

quote:

ORIGINAL: ecn1

I thought this was fixed in the new patch, but I guess not.

Spain declares war on Portugual
Portugal is controlled by GB, and thus at war with France
Portugal blockades spain
Spain and France ARE NOT allies
France decides to attack portuguese fleets blockading spain
France wins battle against portuguese fleet in spanish blockade box
France ships all go away....fleet counters show up in reinforcements..we dont know about ships?

I thought I saw this reported earlier was to be fixed in patch????

thanks

erik

erik,

If you have the saved game files for that can you post them here?

Thanks

Richard

(in reply to ecn1)
Post #: 41
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 4:19:14 AM   
ecn1

Try placing fleets with Portugal, it does not allow you to place fleets at sea in sea area next to portugal..only in port.

Happened to us in another game, post patch

Erik

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 42
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 4:35:52 AM   
dauphan129

Here it is. This is a multi player game. Let me know if you need access to France.

Rereading this it is not clear sorry about that. This is the game where the bug happened to France which (enc1)Erik reported.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dauphan129 -- 1/18/2008 8:03:36 AM >

(in reply to ecn1)
Post #: 43
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 5:10:06 AM   
zaquex

quote:

Zaq,

Can you get a file for what you are seeing because it might be minor country specific. Just ran a quick test with Sweden (Russian sponsored) v Britain and was able to place the fleets in a sea area adjacent to any port in Sweden (except for the ice zone).

Richard

It depends what you mean with minor country specific, i think the problem is not limited to Sweden as ive seen it before in 1.0 just never reflected about the rules/implementation aspects of this before the question of placement was raised, probably because no direction has been available on what rules to use until you made it clear that 4.6.3.5 from EiA apply.

I will try asap to figure out if it also applies to other minors but it might take some time to actually get control of another minor with fleet, i will also test if it applies to major powers wich is easy by just starting a new game with any major power with fleet factors available. I can provide you with a save of the game used in my example with Turkey controlling Sweden as a result of a russian DOW.

I never said it was a problem to place the fleet according to the in the manual printed 5.2 which sometimes can conflict with your 4.6.3.5 but the real problem is that it seems impossible to actually fill the fleet with any factors if it is in a sea area which makes the placement while possible and valid quite pointless.

Edit: It seems like initial placement in the setup phase is not affected by this problem it seems to work as intended.

Edit2: As England i got control of Portugal as a supporting major power when Portugal was DOW'ed by Spain. Portugal works consistant with Sweden from the previous example. and are affected by the same problems.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zaquex -- 1/18/2008 6:16:27 AM >

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 44
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 5:41:09 AM   
ecn1

If you read my post above, this bug is operative with Portugal as well

erik

(in reply to zaquex)
Post #: 45
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 5:58:57 AM   
zaquex

Thanks for confirming the issue ecn1/erik.

(in reply to ecn1)
Post #: 46
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 3:19:51 PM   
Monadman

zaq and erik - got it - thanks again

Richard

(in reply to zaquex)
Post #: 47
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 4:09:05 PM   
Grollub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monadman

quote:

Grollub,

When I run the file for your diplomacy phase file I cannot duplicate what was reported in the reinforcement file that you sent. The AI is being deviously selective about causing a problem but there is a problem. Thanks for both files.

Richard

Richard, I tried to duplicate this error as well but didn't succeed. Later in the same game, when forcing Prussia to surrender, Austria once again surrendered to me for no apparent reason.. I backed up and tried to duplicate the error, but it worked out correctly the second time, so it seems that this bug is of the intermittent/fishy sort. The only clue I can give is that it seems to happen when you're either declaring war on, or getting a surrender from another MP.

Regards/ Grollub

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 48
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 4:18:18 PM   
Trin

I don’t think the discussion about feudals has made it to the bug list as yet so I’ll post a short summary of the current issue.

Turkey is penalised when placing its feudal corps since they are placed with no move points and during the land phase that round Turkey either has to pay heavily for supply or lose factors foraging in areas that are very low value for foraging.

Is this an intended outcome? Shouldn’t they be placed with status set as ‘foraged’? as per the Avalon Hill solution.

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 49
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 5:52:34 PM   
Grollub

I was pleased to note that the movement allowances of certain French-controlled minors now have increased to '4'. One thing that I think is a bug, however, is that the Polish cavalry corps now has a movement allowance of '6'?

(in reply to Trin)
Post #: 50
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 8:21:01 PM   
sw30

quote:

I was pleased to note that the movement allowances of certain French-controlled minors now have increased to '4'. One thing that I think is a bug, however, is that the Polish cavalry corps now has a movement allowance of '6'?

While we're on this subject, the 4 movement corps revert to 3 if you cancel the move.

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 51
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 8:58:54 PM   
Jimmer

Bug in 1.01: In the screen that tells you that war already exists between GB and France (at the very start of the game, twice), the word "exists" is spelled "exist" (both screens, which might be the same one, internally.).

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to sw30)
Post #: 52
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 11:10:06 PM   
Grollub

Not sure if this is exclusively 1.01. Assaulted a Spanish fleet blockading a Turkish fleet in Athens. After combat, when I had removed my losses, I got the error message in the screen dump below. After a number of clicks the error message went away. The defeated Spanish fleet had then relocated to a North African port while my entire fleet was removed from the map. I could place the fleet again in the following reinforcement phase though.

To duplicate this error, open attached save file (in the next message), find the fleet SE of Athens, set stack mode on and attack the Spanish fleet in Athens blockade box.

/Grollub

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Grollub -- 1/19/2008 1:13:45 PM >

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 53
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/18/2008 11:11:10 PM   
Grollub

... and here's the save file.

/Grollub

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 54
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/19/2008 12:31:04 AM   
joshua_dk

AI canot find path

this bug seems to still exist.

I am loading a save from a 1.00 game, I tried loading it in 1.01 and I still get the error message when I press "End current Phase" button.

Maybe the bug has been fixed so as not to be able to occur in a 1.01 game, but I was under the impression that I would be able to load the save in a 1.01 game and continue the game after that.

Sorry if I seem dense, but how do I add an attachment to this thread ?

Regards,
Joshua

(in reply to Naxias)
Post #: 55
What about bugs that are really not fixed? - 1/19/2008 1:17:05 AM   
ecn1

Just a quick question...

Are some of the major bugs from 1.0, like fleets disappearing when attacking enemy fleets in blockade boxes (a real bad one!) and the Ottoman moral not fixed for battles (where it counts), etc...that were supposed to be fixed in 1.01, but were apparently not in the 1.01 beta patch going to be fixed when the "real" 1.01 patch is released...or do we wait for patch 1.02...is it a two patches to one bug ratio?

thanks
ecn1

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 56
RE: What about bugs that are really not fixed? - 1/19/2008 2:38:36 AM   
pzgndr

quote:

In the Selected Nation Information Box, the Upcoming Reinforcements and Current Reinforcements text was overlapping.

As requested, posting this in the bug reports.

(in reply to ecn1)
Post #: 57
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) - 1/19/2008 2:40:50 AM   
sw30

quote:

ORIGINAL: joshua_dk
Sorry if I seem dense, but how do I add an attachment to this thread ?

You need to do the post reply option as opposed to the quick reply. above the ok-preview-cancel buttons, there's a File header, and a "click here to upload!" link.

click on that, and away you go!

(in reply to joshua_dk)
Post #: 58
France Surrenders to Herself!!!! - 1/19/2008 4:09:10 AM   
zenmaster

In July 1805, France Surrenders to !FRANCE! unconditionally

Now, I could see this happening in WWII simulation, not sure about this one :>>

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 59
RE: France Surrenders to Herself!!!! - 1/19/2008 7:25:23 AM   
sw30

They might have implemented the 1792 revolution track, and the Royalists just surrendered to the Republicans... 

(in reply to zenmaster)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI