Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Would you recommend this game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Would you recommend this game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Would you recommend this game? - 1/17/2008 6:47:56 AM   
BossGnome

Hi guys, I am a long time player of SSG's decisive battles series, and also a big fan of WITP. I have also bought Crown of Glory, which was a good game, but not a masterpiece like the other Matrix titles I bought. My question to you gentlemen is: would you recommend I buy this game? What are the main problems with it currently? How do the patches fix those issues? Is the game realistic? How is diplomacy handled? These are all questions I have, and I hope that you can take a minute of your time to give me your opinion on this game.

Thanks!

"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
-Gen. Joffre, before the battle of the Marne
Post #: 1
RE: Would you recommend this game? - 1/17/2008 7:08:54 AM   
SMK-at-work

The easy answers first...:)

The game isvery realistic, IMO, for what it is - a corps/army level simulation of WW1

Diplomacy is handled simply - every neutral nation either favours the central powers or the triple entente, or is completely neutral.  The date of entry into the war set to the historical date (I think) for each country.  Each side can then purchase and spend diplomacy points to speed up or slow down the entry - if its going to join your side then spending points speeds it up.  If it's going to join the other side then spending points slows it down.

The neutrals can't be influenced, and Belgium is pre-entente but it's entry date is in hte 1920's somewhere so it'll never join regardless of whow much is spent on it.

Other than that you bring countries into the war by declaring war on them - at which point they join the other side. 

Most small countries surrender when you've captured all their cities (Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania IIRC).  Belgium surrenders when it is completely occupied (a minor error - I reckon they wouldn't surrender at all....Romania & Serbia didn't historically according to the game criteria, but it's not a biggie)

The main problems with the game are a poor manual....which has been fixed with a rewrite, and ongoing niggles with some game mechanics, which are slowly getting fixed by patches, but are a bit annoying.

Some people don't like hte interface, but that's a matter of taste - it's fine by me.

Definitely a buy if you have any interest in the period IMO.

(in reply to BossGnome)
Post #: 2
RE: Would you recommend this game? - 1/17/2008 8:35:21 AM   
wurger54

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

Definitely a buy if you have any interest in the period IMO.

Absolutely agree with this! For a WWI buff... or anyone remotely interested in the subject... BUY THIS GAME!!!!! For those interested in a truely elegant design that captures the subject... BUY THIS GAME!!! For those that like a very evenly balanced game that can swing either way based on how one plays... BUY THIS GAME!!! I've tried to interest long time Email gamers in this title with no success, too bad for them. At a bunch of different levels I think this could be the sweetest design I've come across. This will be a title I'll be playing for some years to come.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 3
RE: Would you recommend this game? - 1/17/2008 10:48:47 AM   
wargamer123

My thoughts are this.

The basis is WW1, and the kewl thing is that unlike a lot of games, you setup your units the way you would like, so you're not locked into history. The though limitations of what you have are there it gives you a level of freedom there.

The games weaknesses are that is has a drab point and click interface, but that's about it, that also means some arrow keys where I'd prefer mouse dragging, some overclicking, that could be streamlined in a patch or two. They Modded a nice map and Unit Icon...Beyond that the money into this title went into the simplicity of detail and realism. I do not like fictional games, this has a real feel to it... The interface to me though I'm not a usual Matrix fan is at least Refreshing and new, unlike other games I've played.

Lastly, Diplomacy is basic and that's not a mainpoint. There is usual penalties for DOWing and usual timeframe for Nation entries, unless you alter them. Which you can choose to do. You can spend points per turn for each side to draw Minors/Majors to either neutral or active faster. Really just another point for strategy...that's pretty neat... slightly more realistic than some... You cannot totally buy yourself Diplomacy in other words...

I personally thought the AI was a waste but there is plenty of PBEM.

The game is entertaining and you will get the feel of the Trenches in this as it's the only real WW1 game I've played other than Victoria from Paradox, I'm not the most avid gamer of the era to advise you. I did not like Risk and it's not Risklike to me at all... Much more Detailed and indepth! :) welcome if you choose if not, hope I could help

P.S. This is I believe the best Hexagon wargame I've played in several years

< Message edited by wargamer123 -- 1/17/2008 10:51:01 AM >

(in reply to BossGnome)
Post #: 4
RE: Would you recommend this game? - 1/17/2008 11:48:26 AM   
Alan Sharif

I am more a fan of WW2 the 1. This game has changed that, its excellent.

A Sharif

(in reply to wargamer123)
Post #: 5
RE: Would you recommend this game? - 1/17/2008 12:48:52 PM   
Sionnach

This is the first strategy game I have bought as I am very interested in WWI and yet there are no games out there for this period.

I've not played it extensively yet due to some crap RL things that have happened that have made me not interested in playing any games right now, but I do look forward to trying it properly soon.

I also love the way people post issues here and the game designer himself responds with fixes, comments etc! Some of you guys may be used to that, but to me it's a bloody miracle!

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 6
RE: Would you recommend this game? - 1/17/2008 2:06:30 PM   
Noakesy

Hi BossGnome - it's great if you like WWI, and I would reiterate all the points raised above really. I've not played it a huge amount yet as I spend too much of my gaming time with BiI, KP, BiN and so on, but if I had some spare PC time I'd definitely be spending it on this.

(in reply to Sionnach)
Post #: 7
RE: Would you recommend this game? - 1/17/2008 2:45:16 PM   
hjaco

The AI is good enough to learn the game but as with most games, you get most value with PBEM. IMO this game is especially good at PBEM.

Turns are being resolved simultaneously with each single unit moving after certain initiative criteria. So you can't be absolutely certain that your move is not being cancelled because your units are being attacked. You use HQ with activation points when attacking and taking territory. Each nation starts with a historic based number of AP and the cost is very prohibitive.

The game is very bloody in the opening stages and when exhaustion accumulates trench warfare occurs. From then on a campaign shifts in nature and you need to prepare small offensives to take a couple of hexes for a high cost. May sound somewhat dull but is in fact quite interesting and historic.

You can usually spot units in adjacent hexes but exact intelligence can only be gained by use of air support.

So basically you have a very chess like game with semi-hidden units when you have a maneuvering campaign and more prep-like warfare with trench warfare campaign.

It's unique and I still have full value playing it after half a year

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 8
RE: Would you recommend this game? - 1/17/2008 11:24:30 PM   
jhdeerslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: hjaco

The AI is good enough to learn the game but as with most games, you get most value with PBEM. IMO this game is especially good at PBEM.

Turns are being resolved simultaneously with each single unit moving after certain initiative criteria. So you can't be absolutely certain that your move is not being cancelled because your units are being attacked. You use HQ with activation points when attacking and taking territory. Each nation starts with a historic based number of AP and the cost is very prohibitive.

The game is very bloody in the opening stages and when exhaustion accumulates trench warfare occurs. From then on a campaign shifts in nature and you need to prepare small offensives to take a couple of hexes for a high cost. May sound somewhat dull but is in fact quite interesting and historic.

You can usually spot units in adjacent hexes but exact intelligence can only be gained by use of air support.

So basically you have a very chess like game with semi-hidden units when you have a maneuvering campaign and more prep-like warfare with trench warfare campaign.

It's unique and I still have full value playing it after half a year

Good assesment and as a newbie I can recommend this game to you BossGnome my "Kharkov" friend. The interface takes some getting use to but not so bad after a little running time. The game play is unique and this game has been a challenge to me even against the AI. I will have to PBEM soon I think though.

(in reply to hjaco)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Would you recommend this game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI