Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SLIGHTLY OT: Mystery WW1 sea battle

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> SLIGHTLY OT: Mystery WW1 sea battle Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SLIGHTLY OT: Mystery WW1 sea battle - 2/3/2008 5:54:23 AM   
rtrapasso

i can remember reading about this years ago, and one other person also seems to have a memory of it, but i can't find a good reference to it:

During WW1, a German CL came across a British BC in the fog and the CL beat it up the BC... i THINK it was one of the "Large Light Cruiser" BCs (Glorious, Courageous or Furious and it was latter in the war... i haven't been able to find it reading about those ships, though.

Courageous was damaged at Second Heligoland Bight, maybe this was it?? Details are lacking...
Post #: 1
RE: SLIGHTLY OT: Mystery WW1 sea battle - 2/3/2008 7:54:08 AM   
ChezDaJez

The only battle I know of remotely related to your question was between the SMS Emden and HMAS Sydney in the Cocos Islands. However Emden was heavily damaged by Sydney and the only reason she did not sink was that she was run aground. The Emden did received the Iron Cross for this battle.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 2
RE: SLIGHTLY OT: Mystery WW1 sea battle - 2/3/2008 10:21:55 AM   
Koniev

I vaguely remember a story I once read about an Australian heavy cruiser that was beat up, possibly sunk, by a German Q-ship. It was in the Indian Ocean. The whole thing was hushed up. Can't remember much more than that.

"Those who don't remember History are condemned to relive it" George Santayana

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3
RE: SLIGHTLY OT: Mystery WW1 sea battle - 2/3/2008 11:29:56 AM   
JeffroK

Rtrapasso,
Courageous was damaged at 2nd Heligoland, but I am unsure if by Cl's or supporting BB's

ChezdaJez,

Emden was totally destroyed as a fighting ship by Sydney, if it wasnt run aground it would have sunk.

Koniev,

You are thing of the second Sydney, sunk by Kormoran in November 41. Hushed up??? only as much as most wartime disasters were.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Koniev)
Post #: 4
RE: SLIGHTLY OT: Mystery WW1 sea battle - 2/3/2008 12:34:17 PM   
Tiornu

As far as I know, the only damage suffered by Courageous and Glorious in Heligoland Bight was self-inflicted blast damage.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 5
RE: SLIGHTLY OT: Mystery WW1 sea battle - 2/3/2008 3:44:10 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tiornu

As far as I know, the only damage suffered by Courageous and Glorious in Heligoland Bight was self-inflicted blast damage.

Yeah, that's what i thought... no, none of the other above are what i was talking about...

i am pretty sure there was a passing reference to the battle in Richard Hough's book Dreadnought when he discusses the "large light cruisers". When i originally read it, i thought that perhaps was giving a theoretical example, but years later i read an account of the fight (it wasn't much of a fight, notable only that the CL defeated the BC by causing it to run away).

i MIGHT have read about the fight in Flawed Victory: Jutland 1916 (which had a lot of WW1 naval history tossed in) - but i am not sure...

(in reply to Tiornu)
Post #: 6
RE: SLIGHTLY OT: Mystery WW1 sea battle - 2/3/2008 5:36:29 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Koniev

I vaguely remember a story I once read about an Australian heavy cruiser that was beat up, possibly sunk, by a German Q-ship. It was in the Indian Ocean. The whole thing was hushed up. Can't remember much more than that.

This story is very interesting for WITP players, because it happened off the West Coast of OZ before the Pacific War, less than a month before Pearl Harbor, and a rare case of two ships sinking each other in a meeting engagement. The German Raider Kormoran sank the Australian CL Sydney (same class as Perth and Hobart, so AFB's your OOB is less one Aussie CL before WITP even begins), and sank later herself. (To be precise, she didn't see the CL sink, but saw explosions on the horizon).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_between_HMAS_Sydney_and_HSK_Kormoran

Interesting Read for anyone not familiar with it, including the controversy

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 2/3/2008 5:38:48 PM >

(in reply to Koniev)
Post #: 7
RE: SLIGHTLY OT: Mystery WW1 sea battle - 2/4/2008 8:06:22 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

ChezdaJez,

Emden was totally destroyed as a fighting ship by Sydney, if it wasnt run aground it would have sunk.

Ain't that what I said? Getting pretty picky there...

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> SLIGHTLY OT: Mystery WW1 sea battle Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI