Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a decent adaptation of 'The War of the Ring' ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a decent adaptation of 'The War of the Ring' ? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/17/2008 12:26:06 AM   
cdbeck

Meh... Civ II was fun, but "the best in the series?" Let's not get carried away. I actually like a lot of what was added in Civ 4. In fact, if one gets Civ 4, one could download the Fall from Heaven 2 TC that is very LotR-like. Beyond the Sword has a version of this, but it feels stripped down to me.

Civ III was pretty good too, but ultimately forgettable because of Civ IV.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 31
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/17/2008 1:38:06 AM   
marcusm

I would go against the concensus then and say Civ 1. None of the sequels
came close to wasting so much of my time. And maybe the burn out made me appreciate
Civ 2..4 less.

Same with Ralroad Tycoon, none of the sequels could match Sid Meiers original.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 32
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/17/2008 10:28:38 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

You don't have Civ II?? Why that's Sacelreligious not to have Civ II the best Civ in the entire series. How could you not have Civ II? ;)

CIV2 is only good until you get to the point where you have airplanes. Once you have to route EVERY SINGLE airplane back to the base, after having to route EVERY SNGLE airplane to the target, hex by hex, never entering a hex with another unit, and then inadvertently hitting the same key one too many times resulting in losing that airplane, it's the worst Civ ever! The actors in the game, were definitely very good though. That game is worth keeping just to see the reaction of the actors to various situations.

I guess a lot of people were winning before airplanes came out, but my game focused on total war at that stage (when I played as the Germans anyway). I think a lot of people just remember the actors and forget, or never got to the airplane stage. I know I had forgotten about the airplane extreme tedium that last time I played it, and then I vowed, never again will I play that game with any hope of really playing it to win. It will be there only for checking the actor reactions once they have grown dim in my mind. Maybe I will even try to become as early game power, but I cannot see my real reason for playing, that is destroying all the rival civs, could possibly be completed by the time planes came about. Of course, if the game works like civ4 in one respect, and i cannot say if it does or not, I could make the research timeline right around the time of planes, and/or elsewise taking that tech completely out of the game.

As old as that game is, I'm pretty sure it worked just fine on my XP without any adjustments like putting the shortcut into the W98 mode.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 33
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/23/2008 4:35:39 PM   
ravinhood

OIC you're one of those LAZY gamers who want the UI and gameplay to be "pointy clicky" and nothing more. <sigh> Well, I never had that problem with the CIV series with the planes, if you think it was bad in CIV you should have played Alpha Centauri. ;) I never had to guide ALL of my planes to their destinations and there was a right click feature menu that one could use to send them home or to the quickest base as well. Only sometimes would they run into an opponent stop unit that I had to "guide" them to their destinations. Perhaps you were just too detailed oriented or lack of imagination to just allow some planes to be destroyed by chance because of movement or blocking. Afterall it never was hard to really beat the AI at the game, but, CIV II gave the greatest challenge doing so. So, what's a few lost planes in the process? :)

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a decent adaptation of 'The War of the Ring' ? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI