Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

....and MORE fresh meat...lol

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Opponents wanted >> ....and MORE fresh meat...lol Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
....and MORE fresh meat...lol - 2/7/2008 11:59:38 PM   
Scrappy1

Howdy all! First post! '...and one must crawl before he walks..."

Dusted off the ole UV after a couple of years and thought I would try the PBEM thing! Always up for a good spankin' (or beginner's luck..haha) when trying a new wargame. Just don't have the time or space at the moment for my copy of SPI's War in the Pacific monster Eastern Solomons scenario; besides, this is prettier (lol)!

Just so I have this kind of figured out, after the first turn I gather both players will send the combat report file to each other, correct? Now, do both players see the turn resolved with all combats, sightings, etc., or just the Japanese player and the Allied just views the combat report? Gee, I guess I'll find out.

Btw, has anyone ever played scen 15, Clash of Titans? I didn't get PM back until the middle of Jan '43 after many, many mistakes....especially since the AI put ALL of the Jap CV's in 2 groups (what, 10 or 11 CV's) and all came to welcome me on my first attempt to take PM and put Hornet and Enterprise on the bottom! Just wasn't very pretty!

One last thing, I know this has absolutely no bearing on the game but has anyone noticed the ship profiles for the Essex class...aren't? What carrier is that supposed to be? I'm a naval history type, along with being stationed on one in my Navy days, but I just don't recognize it. The Matrix Edition Pacific War got it right, complete with camouflage...haha!

Anywho, if anyone wants to have a go for a nice quiet jaunt in the South Pacific, I can probably do a couple of turns a day (or more if the spankin begins)!

Thanks

Attachment (1)

'morituri te salutamus'
errr, maybe for this game....'veni, vedi, interfectus'
lol
Post #: 1
RE: ....and MORE fresh meat...lol - 2/8/2008 12:27:04 AM   
Ike99

quote:

Just so I have this kind of figured out, after the first turn I gather both players will send the combat report file to each other, correct? Now, do both players see the turn resolved with all combats, sightings, etc., or just the Japanese player and the Allied just views the combat report? Gee, I guess I'll find out.

Japan will start the game.

He takes the turn and saves it under a name.

This creates a UV file with the name he saved it under.. He then emails this file to the Allied player.

The Allied player takes his turn and emails his file back to the Japanese player.

The Japanese player then takes his turn and saves it same as his first turn. From the second turn forward however 3 files will be created...

¨name given¨.UVS
a combat report text file
Combat Save file in slot 001

The Japanese player then emails all 3 of these folders to the Allied player and it goes from there. Allied player will only send one file to the Japanese player the entire game. Maybe sound complicated but it´s not.

quote:

One last thing, I know this has absolutely no bearing on the game but has anyone noticed the ship profiles for the Essex class...aren't?

I never noticed this. Actually scrappy I don´t think many people use the stock ship art graphics. Most use the standardised ship art collection or a variation of such. They look much better. These look kind of bad here in JPG but you get the idea.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Scrappy1)
Post #: 2
RE: ....and MORE fresh meat...lol - 2/8/2008 7:47:26 AM   
Scrappy1

thanks for the info Ike, I did a little experimenting and I think I have the PBEM figured out, just need a brave soul to test it out on! I enjoy your decorative posts, and even though I use to work as a graphic designer I just figured out how to grab the screenshots from UV; well, better late than never, I suppose! (doh!)

UV is a fresh change from Harpoon 2/3; almost like being back in the stone age . Ah, man to man, ship to ship; not the ole enemy within 120 miles Phoenix range for the Tomcats (who are about 150 miles from the battlegroup), or sea and land targets within Harpoon/Tomahawk range; B-52s (the ultimate CAS), etc!!!

Btw, I took the picture of the Iowa above in 1988 while conducting gunnery excerses off of France......no, the 16's were pointed away from the country ! Check out the VW being launched from the rear turret (upper left part of photo).....I burned through 15 rolls of film that day trying to at least get one projectile in the frame!

So, anyone game for another tour of the sunny south pacific? I prefer the Allies but it really doesn't matter, wouldn't mind a human opponent for once to see the difference it will make instead of that AI!

I've looked at some of the ship graphics available for UV and just realized something; the UV Essex profile is actually the Korea mod with the angled flight deck, etc. I found the standardized ship art files for UV on RogueUSMC's WITP page; gee, aren't they pretty? So, the stock UV Essex didn't happen until after the war, when jets were born!

Here's the WW2 flavor:

cool beans!

Attachment (1)

'morituri te salutamus'
lol

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 3
RE: ....and MORE fresh meat...lol - 2/8/2008 9:36:57 PM   
Scrappy1

looks lide everyone's already involved in game(s)......

I'd like to play scen 15 (clash of titans, Japs have PM and GG....come and get 'em), 17 or 19

real man settings (lol), no house rules, jap sub doc off, allied dc on, 100% commitment (open for negotiation)

anyone game?

'morituri te salutamus'
lol

(in reply to Scrappy1)
Post #: 4
RE: ....and MORE fresh meat...lol - 2/9/2008 1:05:19 AM   
tocaff

I'd give you a game, but I've got 4 UV and 1 WPO going so until something ends.......

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Scrappy1)
Post #: 5
RE: ....and MORE fresh meat...lol - 2/9/2008 1:28:12 AM   
Ike99

quote:

looks lide everyone's already involved in game(s)......

I'd like to play scen 15 (clash of titans, Japs have PM and GG....come and get 'em), 17 or 19

real man settings (lol), no house rules, jap sub doc off, allied dc on, 100% commitment (open for negotiation)

anyone game?

I have a few commitments to long campaigns also scrappy and can´t really commit to another right now.

I will play a short one though with you. How does ¨The Green Hell¨ sound with you as the Allies?

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 6
RE: ....and MORE fresh meat...lol - 2/9/2008 4:40:50 AM   
Scrappy1

hey, thanks for the replies gentleman! I do believe I have an opponent for one of the long campaigns, so this being my first PBEM I will concentrate on that.

However, since I can multitask fairly well, I will take you up on your offer Ike! Gee, sounds a little ominous, I can envision you rubbing your hands together and making the muahahahaha sounds on the chance to 'initiate' a new PBEM player to UV!!    Sounds just ducky to me, bring it on!

I'm sure after the battle is done I'll probably be a duck with all of my forces coral reefs in Iron Bottom Sound!

So, one question, if a lot of you guys are playing multiple games, wouldn't that mess up the save game files and combat save/reports? Sorry, it's Friday and my brain is on standby...lol!

'morituri te salutamus'
lol

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 7
RE: ....and MORE fresh meat...lol - 2/9/2008 5:08:01 AM   
borner

yes and no.

The combat save and report are only good for the last turn you run if you are playing Japan. If you are playing the US, you can save them in any file # you want though. The game files of course, you can save wherever you choose. Every now an then I mess it up, but my opponents in those games are pretty understanding.

(in reply to Scrappy1)
Post #: 8
RE: ....and MORE fresh meat...lol - 2/9/2008 5:17:42 AM   
Nomad

When I play as Japan, I run the turn, make my moves, end the turn and then immediatly zip everything up into one file and send it off. That way if the email get lost or something, I can resend it with no problems.

(in reply to borner)
Post #: 9
RE: ....and MORE fresh meat...lol - 2/9/2008 6:20:02 AM   
Ike99

quote:

I will take you up on your offer Ike!

What´s your email?

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 10
RE: ....and MORE fresh meat...lol - 2/9/2008 7:02:52 AM   
Scrappy1

thanks for the input guys, I'm sure I'll figure it out and be a PBEM pro in no time....

Ike, check your mail!

'morituri te salutamus'
lol

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Opponents wanted >> ....and MORE fresh meat...lol Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI