Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RHS Guided AI Service: RHSMAIO First Turn

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RHS Guided AI Service: RHSMAIO First Turn Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RHS Guided AI Service: RHSMAIO First Turn - 2/9/2008 11:26:39 AM   
el cid again

I am about to complete an initial turn for RHSMAIO for Japan: this can be used in leiu of starting a game the normal way, and
IF it is used, it will permit the AI as Japan to benefit from settings which cannot be programmed into the data base files per se.
This is Stage One of the Guided AI Service - for MAIO only - and it means the first turn will be more efficient for Japan. In
addition, a few services will be performed for the Allied player: e.g. the aircraft lines which should have repair set to "no" will be set
when you open the turn. If you open this turn with the program set to Computer Controlled Japan, you can play a normal Allied vs
AI game - but have an opponent that is better in technical terms than any scenario of any mod has ever been before.

I am contemplating a periodic (player controlled) update service for the AI controlled Japanese side (initially for MAIO only).
IF on any date during a human vs Computer Controlled Japan game you will need to wait one or more days before you can
do another turn, send the save game file to me. That turn will be given a basic review for fundamental AI flaws: task forces
with irrational destinations or cargos or missions will be corrected, the most important air units will be updated, raids/attacks of opportunity will be exploited, potential or actual threats will be addressed by appropriate defensive measures, etc. And what was done will be recorded - to form a list of potential rules to automate the process.

At first this service will be manual - by me or another member of the RHS team. If we get an automated update routine working we will run it - and then review what it did - to see what else it should have done - and correct anything that does not seem acceptable. Ultimately we may be able to offer the "service" as a function of the RHS Switcher/Installer program (which, by then, may have a different name). Alternatively, it might be a service offered on the RHS site - tun in generating a turn out by reply mail in a matter of a few minutes.

IF this service is used, and if it is popular, we may expand it to include the almost identical RHSAIO scenario. Ultimately, if there were enough time and people still played WITP - we might extend it to RHSCAIO - which is quite different in several respects - and which most needs help for the AI because it is so much weaker in terms of Japanese unit values.

As with everything else we are doing with RHS - we believe that this work should port over to AE some time after it is released. If the process of development is not completed - it will simply continue in a reformed way under AE - assuming we create RHS AE scenarios. Also in common with present RHS practice, this is a Level 7 scenario option only. Finally, we hope to demonstrate that there are ways to improve the way AI assigns units to do things - so that in the fullness of time some of these techniques (or similar ones) may be incorporated by Matrix.

Finally - if we are able to actually read files and modifiy them automatically in the way I envisage - we will cut the Forum in on how we modify them: what principles/algorithms are used, should be used, etc. This will no doubt slow the process - but it also should result in a better product than any one person or small team could ever produce.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 2/12/2008 12:22:57 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: RHS Guided AI Service (Concept & Plan) - 2/9/2008 2:19:59 PM   
m10bob

Great idea..I am surprised Matrix has not developed a program which could allow one to begin a campaign on any given date, with current OOB data, but with divergent deployment of forces.

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 2
RE: RHS Guided AI Service (Concept & Plan) - 2/9/2008 5:40:17 PM   
chuckwalla

I love the idea, too. As it is, I go in monthly to fix Japanese production-economic issues, but I am never sure about how much to mess with other AI activities. It would be great to have a method to improve AI performance without needing to check the Japanese deployment in detail (which seems like cheating in an intelligence sense). Maybe in six months or so my life will be less chaotic and I can settle into PBEM.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 3
RE: RHS Guided AI Service (Concept & Plan) - 2/9/2008 5:50:17 PM   
Buck Beach

Yes, a good idea.

(in reply to chuckwalla)
Post #: 4
RE: RHS Guided AI Service (Concept & Plan) - 2/10/2008 5:28:43 AM   
Buck Beach

OK. I am into the 1st turn for the MAIO, looks very interesting.  I love the thrust southward for the original move. Now I am pounding out the tons of moves in my 1st turn response.  But wait, we have a new twist to the scenario (and a damn good one I might add).  Time to start all over again.  Please finish your new 1st turn move for this scenario as fast as you can.

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 5
RE: RHS Guided AI Service: RHSMAIO First Turn - 2/12/2008 12:24:11 AM   
el cid again

RHSMAIO Turn 1 for AI is now available as a special upload

If you use this, you do not need to load the scenario - just reply to the turn.

If you want periodic updates for the AI (in a basic sense) and to contribute data for a program to do that,
every time you have a day or more break - send the turn to be updated.

If you want to "cheat" (or see what I did) - use file 9. If you want to play as Allies - use file 10.

Post #: 6
RE: RHS Guided AI Service: RHSMAIO First Turn - 5/24/2008 10:38:05 PM   
DrewBlack

Hi where do I get this file????

How does the Guided system work.... is it still available??

Drew

Post #: 7
RE: RHS Guided AI Service: RHSMAIO First Turn - 5/26/2008 1:59:00 AM   
el cid again

The files are no longer current - but probably posted or saved somewhere.

It can be done again.

It was used a couple of times - but not enough to generate the data we needed to write a utility to make it happen on your machine.
The idea was to make AI work by running a utility program - some day.

(in reply to DrewBlack)
Post #: 8
RE: RHS Guided AI Service: RHSMAIO First Turn - 5/26/2008 2:26:31 AM   
chuckwalla

El Cid,
I was one who started on this with you and I should still have the files on my computer at work. Our initial effort was aborted because it seemed that the AI screwed things up if you did any turns with the computer AI on. I gave up because it was looking like a play-by-email via algorithm that I couldn't commit too at that time (it looked like my organization was going to be moving to New York this summer). Now it turns out that we are not moving. If you want to try this again sometime I am game and if anyone wants the game start I will see if I can find it for them. I actually think I am getting ready for the PBEM plunge as well.

Post #: 9
RE: RHS Guided AI Service: RHSMAIO First Turn - 5/26/2008 12:27:07 PM   
el cid again

I no longer think it is a good idea to to Guided AI for WITP - development will shift to AE - and needs at least half a year to produce basic CVO and EOS scenarios. THEN we can do guided AI research - and a year after that we MIGHT be able to do a utility that will fix AI mess ups - run the utility after a turn executes - and execut the turn as if it were human vs human - but the utility will do the AI turn for the game - this might work. I intend to capture the things that need fixing by looking at what the game files say

For now consider AI files just training ones - to become familiar with RHS before you play a human.

(in reply to chuckwalla)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RHS Guided AI Service: RHSMAIO First Turn Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI