Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Naval Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Naval Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Naval Questions - 2/26/2008 4:04:33 AM   
jbeigie

What do the numbers xx/yy next to ships mean? I see them in the sea combat screens and don't know how to interpret them.

Also, I commit a force of so many dn, ca, dd. but when the combat doesn't involve my whole force that is patrolling the area. why is this?

Finally, in my last game I fought a number of battles with the RN and French navy versus the AH navy. The KuK was doing a real number on my ships. I could understand that the German Navy had avantages in fist hit % in the initial salvo, but the Austro-Hungarians?

From everything I have read the RN had a system that while not as accurate as the Kriegsmarine at the opening salvo, was faster and would produce more hit during sustained combat. Why is the CP player inflicting more hit on the TE in Naval combat?
Post #: 1
RE: Naval Questions - 2/26/2008 5:13:00 AM   
wargamer123

the naval system is a little ackward.

From what I can tell each ship can take a level of damage depending... The Austrian Fleet was pretty active in the Adriatic, as far as elsewhere I don't know. Also the HSF had it's advantages and weaknesses. There could be more variables but the game is more of a landbased game. Certainly the Italian/Turk/Austrian/Russian Fleets could be weaker. Though they are not that powerful in the game. The British and German are Aces which at least is historical

(in reply to jbeigie)
Post #: 2
RE: Naval Questions - 2/26/2008 12:12:06 PM   
SMK-at-work

The Russian fleet isnt' anywhere near as strong as it was historically - it has none of hte 4 dreadnoughts that were launched during WW1 - 2 in the Baltic, 2 in the Black Sea - the Baltic ones were not very active, but the Black Sea ones sortied occasionally trying to catch the Goeben.

The Goeben was not active in the Med at all because the Allies shut off the sthn end of the dardanelles - somethign you can't really do.

Also the Austrian fleet was effectively bottled up in the Adriatic by the Otranto Patrols - which used the French and Italian fleets extensively as well as RN units (the French fleet was based at Malta for this purpose) and mine barrages.

(in reply to wargamer123)
Post #: 3
RE: Naval Questions - 2/29/2008 5:11:09 AM   
jbeigie

Anybody know what do the numbers xx/yy next to ships mean?

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 4
RE: Naval Questions - 2/29/2008 5:16:43 AM   
wargamer123

If Combat is what you mean, the first XX is the damage taken in combat, the YY would be the level of damage attainable

Although I often sustain the Damage attainable and still not short of those ships so I BELIEVE am not 110% sure that you must inflict at least 1 more point of damage in the XX to ensure that ship is sunk, damaging it to the full YY is only a completely near sunken ship but not yet sunk...

I think these are the numbers you're refering to though in the Naval assigning aspect of the game I think you've access to all the specifics on each ship, such as endurance, damage done, etc... Which will tell you what they can take..

anyway, the naval system is a little confusing at times.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbeigie

Anybody know what do the numbers xx/yy next to ships mean?

(in reply to jbeigie)
Post #: 5
RE: Naval Questions - 2/29/2008 10:42:58 AM   
SMK-at-work

yes - a transpprt must take 3/2 to be sunk, a DD 5/4, etc.

The damage shown in the naval combat screens is the total the ship has at hte end of all naval combat for that turn - so it might take part in several "actions" within a single turn to accumulate enough damage to sink it.

IIRC there are 3 rounds of naval combat in each strat phase - so a single ship could take part in as many as 3 seperate combats.

(in reply to wargamer123)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Naval Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI