Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HCE Scenarios Ranked by Difficulty

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> HCE Scenarios Ranked by Difficulty Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HCE Scenarios Ranked by Difficulty - 2/28/2008 3:44:05 AM   
Newton

Friends:
I am looking for a list of the HCE scenarios (as they were shipped with the game) ranked or listed in order of complexity or difficulty or number of units. Does anyone know of such a thing?
Thanks
Newton
Post #: 1
RE: HCE Scenarios Ranked by Difficulty - 2/28/2008 5:20:12 AM   
TonyE

16 years playing the game and I haven't seen such a list yet.

I think you stumbled across a couple of reasons, and there are many but I don't think that should stop someone from trying...

• Very few people have played even a fraction of the scenarios so ranking them subjectively will be difficult.
  • Some people find ASW difficult and ASuW hard, some find the opposite.
  • Depending upon the scenario design I would say some scenarios with many units are easy but others are very difficult.

So, if someone wants to make a list, I've got at least one site to publish it on (harpoonpages.com or harpgamer.com).

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to Newton)
Post #: 2
RE: HCE Scenarios Ranked by Difficulty - 2/29/2008 4:49:31 AM   
Warhorse64

IIRC, the pamphlet containing the scenario notes for one of the Harpoon Designer Series releases had such a list for the approx. four dozen scenarios it included, but that's the only case I can think of. 

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 3
RE: HCE Scenarios Ranked by Difficulty - 3/5/2008 12:33:32 AM   
SteveF2006

That's an interesting question. Here is a VERY general rule for the 2003 battle set and West Pac. At least for the 2003 battle set, they are a continuation of an ongoing war that "culminates" in the final scenario which is usually the most complicated.

As Tony stated, there is no definitive list but this can give you an idea. If you go to Harpgamer.com, you will see a scenario in the West Pac battle set called WWIII, it is the largest and most complex scenario that I’ve ever seen available to the public. It is worth checking out. You need three things to play this scenario. A fast computer, patience and lots of time!

Steve

(in reply to Warhorse64)
Post #: 4
RE: HCE Scenarios Ranked by Difficulty - 3/5/2008 12:48:15 AM   
Shark7

Actually with WestPac, the scenarios are not connected nor in any particular order. The 2 scenarios I contributed, "Operation Island Wind" and "Operation Shield", are tied together in the order I have them here, but are in no way connected to the other ones.

The difficulty is also in no particular order, I actually consider Operation Shield the easier of my 2 scenarios, even though it is both a larger scenario and later chronilogically. Why do I consider OPIW harder? It's because you have such limited resources to complete the mission with.

I think you will find that many times the smaller scenarios will present you more of a challenge due to a lack of resources on the player's part, and the fact that the designer can really concentrate on building up the AI's abilities on a focused objective. That isn't to say small scenarios are always more difficult, because large scenarios can be very challenging. Basically it depends on the how the designer went about setting up his scenario.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to SteveF2006)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> HCE Scenarios Ranked by Difficulty Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI